none
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit restoring to factory settings help.

Question

• Hi guys. As the title says, I'm having issues restoring my Dell Studio 1555 to factory settings. Before you ask, hitting f8 at the dell screen does nothing and neither does ctrl + f11. I formatted the hard drive to reinstall Windows 7 as per my father's request. I didn't realize there was a recovery partition before doing so, but didn't think it really mattered since I have the legit key that came with the laptop. Anyways, the key was accepted but windows won't activate, nor do I get an option for phone activation. So I tried to restore to factory settings using the .wim file on the recovery partition, but like I said I'm having trouble doing so. When I use Dell Datasafe Local Backup, it finds the factory image. However, upon reboot there are no options to use dell's datasafe restore, it's just normal Win 7 recovery options, and the normal Win 7 recovery using image can't/won't find that factory image. The WIM file is also 6gb, so unless it shrinks a bit, I think it would be useless to get AIK to attempt to burn it onto a DVD or to convert it into an ISO. Any answers are greatly appreciated.
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 4:34 AM

Answers

• 1.This is vendor specific way how to return back to initial factory settings. There is special functional key that you hit before the Windows starts. Better platform for your problem is Dell support forum. Alternatively you can use restore DVD or full package (operating system and applications)

2. There are third party solutions like that of Acronic (some SSD disks are packed with this program.

3. Reasonable alternative is full native backup after first system configuration

Regards

Milos

Sunday, August 19, 2012 4:52 AM

All replies

• 1.This is vendor specific way how to return back to initial factory settings. There is special functional key that you hit before the Windows starts. Better platform for your problem is Dell support forum. Alternatively you can use restore DVD or full package (operating system and applications)

2. There are third party solutions like that of Acronic (some SSD disks are packed with this program.

3. Reasonable alternative is full native backup after first system configuration

Regards

Milos

Sunday, August 19, 2012 4:52 AM
  • Hi,

Just as Milos said, Dell set a specific way to restore back to factory settings. So for this issue, you can post it to Dell support forum.

Your Name

TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 20, 2012 1:40 PM