none
Remote Desktop error "The credentials that were used to connect did not work" on Win7 Using VPN

Question

• I've looked through many Q&As on this.  None are helping.  I remote in from home to a secure network via VPN.  I had some issues with my desktop at work and they ended up changing the name of my work computer.  At that moment I stared to get the "The credentials that were used to connect did not work" error.  I made sure my new remote computer name was being used.  I've read several fixes that tell you to disable your firewall.  That's not doable when I'm VPNing in a secure environment.  I have Windows 7 on both computers.  I've tried my computer name and IP with no success.  I ping'd my work computer successfully.  I'm considering insiting on having my work computer name changed back if that will help.  I'm desperate!  I can't figure out why all of a sudden I can't get past the credentials.  How do I fix this?

HELP!!!  Someone?!?!?!

Saturday, January 19, 2013 3:36 PM

Answers

• After making adjustments in numerous areas of mstsc, firewall, etc. I was able to connect to my PC at work.  I really don't know which one was the fix.  I made many of them before rebooting.  Something in my last update before the last reboot did it though. 

Sunday, January 20, 2013 5:28 PM

All replies

• Are you logging into a domain or a local user account?

Sounds like you need to either specify the domain in the username field - ie domainname\username.

If you're not on a domain, use the name of your work computer instead of the domain - ie computername\username.

Miles

Sunday, January 20, 2013 6:31 AM
  • Yes, I'm logging into a domain.  In Remote Desktop the Computer is called "computername.domain".
    Sunday, January 20, 2013 1:24 PM
  • After making adjustments in numerous areas of mstsc, firewall, etc. I was able to connect to my PC at work.  I really don't know which one was the fix.  I made many of them before rebooting.  Something in my last update before the last reboot did it though. 

Sunday, January 20, 2013 5:28 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear this issue has been solved. Thanks for sharing. We really appreciate your time and efforts. Hope your experience will help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:48 AM