none
Win 7 HomeGroup. Can HomeGroup be completely reset i.e. remove the creator so that another HomeGroup can be formed?

Question

• I have tried to remove all the computers from the HomeGroup and as far as I know I have. I still get a message that Arab-PC has created a HomeGroup and do I wish to join. I type in the (correct) password but but cannot join. I want to completely remove the Arab HomeGroup and start again. Is this possible? If not at this time a fix needs to be i9nclude by MS.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 12:28 PM

Answers

• This is some magical hoodoo (and probably not the preferred "fix") but after many hours this finally got things working again:

Exasperated, I removed all three systems from the Homegroup.  However, when I went to Homegroup again (from any system, even the original creator of the Homegroup) it still asked for the password to the now defunct Homegroup.  The old password continued to not work and I could not create a new Homegroup on any system.

On my laptop, I disabled the wireless and deleted my home wireless profile.  I then turned wireless back on and connected to the wireless network as though it was a new connection.  When this was done resetting, I went to Homegroup on the laptop and was finally able to create a new Homegroup.  Upon trying this new password on the other two systems, everything worked fine.
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 9:32 AM

All replies

• I am having the exact same problem.  The network/homegroup settings have worked fine for weeks and only recently did my systems fail to appear in the Homegroup folder.  Rejoining did not work.
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 8:24 AM
  • This is some magical hoodoo (and probably not the preferred "fix") but after many hours this finally got things working again:

Exasperated, I removed all three systems from the Homegroup.  However, when I went to Homegroup again (from any system, even the original creator of the Homegroup) it still asked for the password to the now defunct Homegroup.  The old password continued to not work and I could not create a new Homegroup on any system.

On my laptop, I disabled the wireless and deleted my home wireless profile.  I then turned wireless back on and connected to the wireless network as though it was a new connection.  When this was done resetting, I went to Homegroup on the laptop and was finally able to create a new Homegroup.  Upon trying this new password on the other two systems, everything worked fine.
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 9:32 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Miniver. Didn't work for me though. Still stuck with a homegroup that I cannot access.
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 6:43 AM