none
Play To does not work

Question

• Hello everyone.

As a background, I have 3 devices on my home network. 2 computers running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, and 1 Xbox 360.

I've been trying to get the "Play To" functionality of WMP 12 working, but so far I've had no luck. I can open Windows Media Player and see the available resources to play to, but when I try to play anything I get "Contacting media server...". I have all firewalls off, and this occurs even when I go from PC 1 -> PC 2, or PC 2 -> PC 1, or PC 1 / PC 2 -> Xbox 360.

Now when I did some testing with the Xbox 360 - I discovered something very interesting:

If I try to play a file down to the Xbox 360, I will get stuck at "Contacting media server..."
    Leave for a few minutes, nothing happens.
    Come back, play a file using Media Center (on the Xbox 360, which I'm trying to play to)
    Go back into my "Play to" window
    I can now use this "Play To" window to mute the volume, pause playback, move back and forth in the playlist, and use the slider to change the position in the currently playing song.
    All the while, it still says "Contacting media server..."

These are fresh installs of Windows 7, so I don't understand why this doesn't work - this is part of the reason why I upgraded, I'd like to put a device to an amp I can play to, but if play to doesn't work then why should I waste my money?

Like the commercial says - "Windows 7 was my idea" - but this certainly isn't my idea.

Any suggestions?
    Friday, January 08, 2010 9:13 PM

All replies

• Turn on all your network devices and connect them to the network.  Open Network and Sharing Center on the Windows 7 PC and click See Full map.  Can Windows accurately detect all devices?

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 4:58 AM
  • On the W7 machines, have you allowed remote control as documented at

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows7/using-the-play-to-feature-to-stream-media
    ?

On Fri, 8-Jan-10 21:13:35 GMT, got_milk wrote:

Hello everyone. As a background, I have 3 devices on my home network. 2
    computers running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, and 1 Xbox 360. I've been
    trying to get the "Play To" functionality of WMP 12 working, but so far I've had
    no luck. I can open Windows Media Player and see the available resources to play
    to, but when I try to play anything I get "Contacting media server...". I have
    all firewalls off, and this occurs even when I go from PC 1 -> PC 2, or PC 2 ->
    PC 1, or PC 1 / PC 2 -> Xbox 360. Now when I did some testing with the Xbox 360
    - I discovered something very interesting: If I try to play a file down to the
    Xbox 360, I will get stuck at "Contacting media server..." Leave for a few
    minutes, nothing happens. Come back, play a file using Media Center (on the Xbox
    360, which I'm trying to play to) Go back into my "Play to" window I can now use
    this "Play To" window to mute the volume, pause playback, move back and forth in
    the playlist, and use the slider to change the

position in the currently playing song. All the while, it still says "Contacting
    media server..." These are fresh installs of Windows 7, so I don't understand
    why this doesn't work - this is part of the reason why I upgraded, I'd like to
    put a device to an amp I can play to, but if play to doesn't work then why
    should I waste my money? Like the commercial says - "Windows 7 was my idea" -
    but this certainly isn't my idea. Any suggestions?

Barb Bowman www.digitalmediaphile.com
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 11:23 AM
  • Shawn: Yes, but the devices are showing as "Cannot be placed in the map".

Barb: both remote control and media sharing are enabled as per the documentation.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 1:03 AM
  • what router do you have and does it have the latest firmware? are you running
    and ____ like Norton or McAfee?

Sunday, January 10, 2010 11:36 AM
  • I am running a WRT310N with the latest DD-WRT firmware. As advised by experienced DD-WRT users, this is not a router issue as when wired there is no routing being performed, and the router is simply acting as a switch.

One machine is running McAfee, and the other machine is running NOD32 Antivirus only. Both of these were entirely disabled during testing, and had no effect on my results.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 3:51 PM
  • I think you may need to totally uninstall McAfee to get proper results, not just
    disable it. NOD32 doesn't block Play To.

the DD-WRT firmware has not been certified for W7 AFAIK. I suppose you could
    flash it with the approved firmware just to see if you have better luck and to
    rule out the open source firmware.

the other reply you gave about the network map indicates there is an issue
    somewhere.

You can flash back to DD-WRT, I assume, after running the test.

On Sun, 10-Jan-10 15:51:32 GMT, got_milk wrote:

I am running a WRT310N with the latest DD-WRT firmware. As advised by
    experienced DD-WRT users, this is not a router issue as when wired there is no
    routing being performed, and the router is simply acting as a switch. One
    machine is running McAfee, and the other machine is running NOD32 Antivirus
    only. Both of these were entirely disabled during testing, and had no effect on
    my results.

Sunday, January 10, 2010 4:59 PM
  • As I have already expressed, there are many of us in the DD-WRT community with significant networking experience who agree that the router is not the issue here - whether or not the firmware is "certified" for W7 makes no difference . In a local environment, the router is simply a switch - original Linksys firmware would be performing the same task with the same results.

If McAfee is at fault here, then why would Microsoft list it as compatible with W7 on this page: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/antivirus-partners/windows-7.aspx

Note the quote: "The companies listed below provide consumer security software that is compatible with Windows 7", and show McAfee's logo beneath?

Regardless, if NOD32 doesn't block DLNA, then that doesn't explain why Play To still doesn't work going from the PC running NOD32 -> Xbox 360 Extender.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 6:01 PM
  • Hi,
    Not sure if I should have started another thread for this but:
    I have a very similar issue. I can see the xbox360 on my network map, I have enabled media streaming, added the extender by enetering the code from the xbox. The xbox is set up to boot into WMC and connects to the PC running media centre - no problems so far.
    I can play MP3 files locally from the xbox via media centre (streamed from a NAS that is mapped as a network drive on the PC) and also from a directly connected USB drive via My music - again - no problems.
    When I right click an MP3 file (on my NAS) and try to 'play to' the xbox - the media centre box pops up and immediately says 'playlist not initialised' and thats as far as it gets - nothing on the xbox.
    When I try to play the same file from my local hard drive (in the PC) I get 'contacting server' the xbox will open up a player window and loads up the song title, track length etc. but will not actually play the file (just sits there on 00.00 looking like it is about to start but never gets there).
    I have no firewalls installed (apart from windows FW), Avast antivirus and thats it. A brand new clean install of Win7 Ult 64bit (I have exactly the same problem with 32bit).My PC and xbox are connected directly to a Netgear gigabit switch and a Belkin modem/router doing the DHCP duties.
    I have spent days trying everything I could find online with no success - have came across several others with the same (or similar) problem and no resolution though....
    Any thoughts would be appreciated...
    Monday, January 11, 2010 1:15 AM
  • Microsoft has some strong opinions on "certified". I've found significant
    differences between certified and non certified standard firmware. So if you
    don't want to rule that piece out, I really can't go any further down the path.

McAfee- a search will reveal that their firewall, unless completely installed,
    really wreaks havoc on this kind of connectivity. Logo and all.

I have to assume that the issue with the NOD32 machine is the router between it
    and the 360.

I wish you luck with this, but since the router is the mystery piece and you
    don't want to test to rule that out, I wish you the best of luck in resolving
    this.

On Sun, 10-Jan-10 18:01:04 GMT, got_milk wrote:

As I have already expressed, there are many of us in the DD-WRT community with
    significant networking experience who agree that the router is not the issue
    here - whether or not the firmware is "certified" for W7 makes no difference .
    In a local environment, the router is simply a switch - original Linksys
    firmware would be performing the same task with the same results. If McAfee is
    at fault here, then why would Microsoft list it as compatible with W7 on this
    page: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/antivirus-partners/windows-7.aspx Note
    the quote: "The companies listed below provide consumer security software that
    is compatible with Windows 7", and show McAfee's logo beneath? Regardless, if
    NOD32 doesn't block DLNA, then that doesn't explain why Play To still doesn't
    work going from the PC running NOD32 -> Xbox 360 Extender.

Monday, January 11, 2010 11:02 AM
  • Play TO does not work inside the Windows Media Center interface, if that is what
    you are trying to do.

can you start a new thread an be specific as to whether you are using the Play
    To menu in Windows Explorer/WMP outside of Media Center or if you are having an
    issue with the Media Center Extender functionality on the 360. Specifically
    where are you when you right click on an MP3 file on the NAS (through explorer?
    Media Center? )

On Mon, 11-Jan-10 01:15:17 GMT, MrTechno wrote:

Hi, Not sure if I should have started another thread for this but: I have a very
    similar issue. I can see the xbox360 on my network map, I have enabled media
    streaming, added the extender by enetering the code from the xbox. The xbox is
    set up to boot into WMC and connects to the PC running media centre - no
    problems so far. I can play MP3 files locally from the xbox via media centre
    (streamed from a NAS that is mapped as a network drive on the PC) and also from
    a directly connected USB drive via My music - again - no problems. When I right
    click an MP3 file (on my NAS) and try to 'play to' the xbox - the media centre
    box pops up and immediately says 'playlist not initialised' and thats as far as
    it gets - nothing on the xbox. When I try to play the same file from my local
    hard drive (in the PC) I get 'contacting server' the xbox will open up a player
    window and loads up the song title, track length etc. but will not actually play
    the file (just sits there on 00.00 looking like it is
    about to start but never gets there). I have no firewalls installed (apart from
    windows FW), Avast antivirus and thats it. A brand new clean install of Win7 Ult
    64bit (I have exactly the same problem with 32bit).My PC and xbox are connected
    directly to a Netgear gigabit switch and a Belkin modem/router doing the DHCP
    duties. I have spent days trying everything I could find online with no success
    - have came across several others with the same (or similar) problem and no
    resolution though.... Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Monday, January 11, 2010 11:09 AM
  • Barb, thank you for your suggestions this far.

You keep on choosing the router as the probable cause of this issue. For some background information, the WRT310N which I am using has a 5-port Broadcom BCM5397 gigabit switch. These types of switches operate at the second layer of the OSI model (data link layer). At this layer the data is only routed through the switch, and is not modified in any way. For local data communications, routers will generally not go beyond the second layer of the OSI model as there is no need for any Quality of Service or other enhancements to be applied which start at the third layer (network layer).

I do not wish to go back to Linksys firmware as it is not an easy task on this router and Linksys firmware has many faults and issues that I avoid by using open-source firmware.

Therefore, I do have a valid explanation as to why this router will not be the problem. What I cannot explain, however, is why two fresh installs of 7 cannot by default properly utilize the Play To functionality.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 9:51 PM
  • Do we have the precise requirements that Windows has to detect before it allows the option?  I thought they said something about all network equipment had to have the Designed for Windows 7 sticker before it'd qualify.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Monday, January 11, 2010 10:38 PM
  • Hi Barb,
    After some more testing it seems that the right click 'play to' function will actually work perfectly from within windows media player (not media centre..) ie - right click the file you can see in media player once the files are added to your library....
    It will NOT work from windows explorer directly - the right click 'play to' option is avalable as is the xbox but just gives the 'playlist not initialised' error (or 'contacting media server' depending on where the files are stored)
    The only other thing I did was put the xbox on a fixed ip - but I don't think that actually made any difference...

I'm not sure if that is the same deal for you got_milk but worth a try if you haven't already - (I was just about to change routers in desperation!).....
    Would be nice if it worked directly from explorer as finding anything in media player is a bit of a chore....but better than silence!

Now - to get that xbox to see that NAS directly....

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:00 AM

• You mention McAfee. Uninstall it. Logo'd or not, if you want to triage this,
    remove it from the equation.

You mention that the Network Map can't place devices where they belong. The
    Network Map, among other things, depends on LLTD. As does Play To.

I assume you are on a Private network (i.e., not set to Public), discovery, etc.
    are turned on and the user has administrative privileges.

I am quite familiar with both the WRT310n and WRT310n..
    V2.

this is about as far as I can go in triaging this.

On Mon, 11-Jan-10 21:51:36 GMT, got_milk wrote:

Barb, thank you for your suggestions this far. You keep on choosing the router
    as the probable cause of this issue. For some background information, the
    WRT310N which I am using has a 5-port Broadcom BCM5397 gigabit switch. These
    types of switches operate at the second layer of the OSI model (data link
    layer). At this layer the data is only routed through the switch, and is not
    modified in any way. For local data communications, routers will generally not
    go beyond the second layer of the OSI model as there is no need for any Quality
    of Service or other enhancements to be applied which start at the third layer
    (network layer). I do not wish to go back to Linksys firmware as it is not an
    easy task on this router and Linksys firmware has many faults and issues that I
    avoid by using open-source firmware. Therefore, I do have a valid explanation as
    to why this router will not be the problem. What I cannot explain, however, is
    why two fresh installs of 7 cannot by default properly utilize the Play To
    functionality.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:53 AM
  • This might be a stupid question, however, does "Play To" included other networked Windows 7 machines, only my XBOX 360 shows up.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 6:06 PM
  • You have to "allow remote control.." in the streaming settings

did you do that?

if not, please post info on firewalls, etc. etc.

On Fri, 15-Jan-10 18:06:32 GMT, pied piper wrote:

This might be a stupid question, however, does "Play To" included other
    networked Windows 7 machines, only my XBOX 360 shows up.

Friday, January 15, 2010 9:55 PM
  • Glad I found this thread - i'm also experiencing issues using the "play to" feature.  I have 3 networked devices - 2 Windows 7 machines, 1 Xbox.  I'm not all that concerned about "pushing" music through the Xbox, but would love to push music from one pc to the other.  In the "play to" dropdown, the other pc is recognized, and seems to connect at first, but then throws an error/hangs on "contacting media server".  In the streaming menu, I've allowed remote access.

In my network map, all devices show up properly.  My router is a Lynksys WRT54G2.  I'm running AVG Anti-Virus...

Saturday, January 16, 2010 7:14 PM
  • OK, you have reverified all settings are correct, and

You start Windows Media Player on the "client" computer

You select something on the host computer and then Play To the "client"

Does this happen with all file types?

What type of files are you trying to send via play to?

On Sat, 16-Jan-10 19:14:24 GMT, tiggerlickrough wrote:

Glad I found this thread - i'm also experiencing issues using the "play to"
    feature. I have 3 networked devices - 2 Windows 7 machines, 1 Xbox. I'm not
    all that concerned about "pushing" music through the Xbox, but would love to
    push music from one pc to the other. In the "play to" dropdown, the other pc is
    recognized, and seems to connect at first, but then throws an error/hangs on
    "contacting media server". In the streaming menu, I've allowed remote access.In
    my network map, all devices show up properly. My router is a Lynksys WRT54G2.
    I'm running AVG Anti-Virus...

Sunday, January 17, 2010 11:10 AM
  • I've verified the settings I'm aware of -- both client and host computers have "allow remote control" and "automatically allow devices to play media" slected.

I was actually able to push a jpg from one pc to the other (media player) -- but in every other case, when trying to push a jpg or mp3, i get the "device not available" message, or "contacting media server" hangs, followed by "failed to retrieve media information from media server"

Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:46 PM
  • Is UPnP enabled on the router?

what hardware rev of this router do you have?

can you temporarily uninstall AV programs and non Windows firewalls?

are the computers connected wirelessly? b, g, or N?

On Sun, 17-Jan-10 17:46:14 GMT, tiggerlickrough wrote:

I've verified the settings I'm aware of -- both client and host computers have
    "allow remote control" and "automatically allow devices to play media" slected.I
    was actually able to push a jpg from one pc to the other (media player) -- but
    in every other case, when trying to push a jpg or mp3, i get the "device not
    available" message, or "contacting media server" hangs, followed by "failed to
    retrieve media information from media server"

Glad I found this thread - i'm also experiencing issues using the "play
    to"feature. I have 3 networked devices - 2 Windows 7 machines, 1 Xbox. I'm
    notall that concerned about "pushing" music through the Xbox, but would love
    topush music from one pc to the other. In the "play to" dropdown, the other pc
    isrecognized, and seems to connect at first, but then throws an error/hangs
    on"contacting media server". In the streaming menu, I've allowed remote
    access.Inmy network map, all devices show up properly. My router is a Lynksys
    WRT54G2.I'm running AVG Anti-Virus...

Monday, January 18, 2010 11:54 AM
  • Is UPnP enabled on the router? -- Yes

what hardware rev of this router do you have? -- V1

can you temporarily uninstall AV programs and non Windows firewalls? -- Done

are the computers connected wirelessly? b, g, or N? -- Wired

---------------------------------------------------------------------

After uninstalling AVG, pushing files from one PC to the other worked, sort of.  I have a living room media center pc that also serves as the music/picture source on my home network.  I'm able to push both music and images to my office PC from the living room without issue.  However, I'm only able to push images from the office pc out to the living room.  If I attempt to push an mp3, I receive an error "failed to retrieve media information from media server" -- which is odd, considering the media source is a shared folder/library, and is set-up the same way as my 'pictures' folder/library.  If I place the mp3 locally (office PC), I'm able to push out to the living room.

Perhaps this is a limitation of "play to"?  Although I believe I read that you should be able to push/stream from any shared drive.  Do I need to map the drive?

Also, if I can't run AVG (free edition), what anti-virus would you recommend?

Appreciate your time/help.

Monday, January 18, 2010 10:55 PM
  • shared on another PC ? or on NAS? need more info

I have a Netgear NV+ ready nas and I can access shared media and Play To my TV.

I use ESET NOD32 AV (not the full security suite)

On Mon, 18-Jan-10 22:55:00 GMT, tiggerlickrough wrote:

After uninstalling AVG, pushing files from one PC to the other worked, sort of.
    I have a living room media center pc that also serves as the music/picture
    source on my home network. I'm able to push both music and images to my office
    PC from the living room without issue. However, I'm only able to push images
    from the office pc out to the living room. If I attempt to push an mp3, I
    receive an error "failed to retrieve media information from media server" --
    which is odd, considering the media source is a shared folder/library, and is
    set-up the same way as my 'pictures' folder/library. If I place the mp3 locally
    (office PC), I'm able to push out to the living room.Perhaps this is a
    limitation of "play to"? Although I believe I read that you should be able to
    push/stream from any shared drive. Do I need to map the drive?Also, if I can't
    run AVG (free edition), what anti-virus would you recommend?Appreciate your
    time/help.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 11:49 AM
  • I have the same error "Contacting media server...".  as some of you have mentioned.

I have 2 PC running Win7 and they have the same setup ie. Nod32 and so on, and I can Play To from the stationary to the wireless, but not from the wireless to the stationary PC....

Both have the "allow remotecontrol...." settings set up the same...

What can be wrong then? obviously routers and stuff work as it goes one way.

Thanks for any help

/ Noxi
    Monday, January 25, 2010 10:31 PM
  • can you ping the stationery PC from the wireless ? can you see files on it in
    Windows Explorer when you type \\computername in Windows Explorer?

On Mon, 25-Jan-10 22:31:29 GMT, Noxi wrote:

I have the same error "Contacting media server...". as some of you have
    mentioned. I have 2 PC running Win7 and they have the same setup ie. Nod32 and
    so on, and I can Play To from the stationary to the wireless, but not from the
    wireless to the stationary PC....Both have the "allow remotecontrol...."
    settings set up the same...What can be wrong then? obviously routers and stuff
    work as it goes one way.Thanks for any help/ Noxi

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:36 AM
  • Just to throw another raised hand in here... I'm having similar issues. My XBOX and my Win7x64 machine can't contact each other for media functions, even when connected through a plain old switch, running no firewall software (even windows firewall), and using properly configured static IPs. The same goes for my TVs, even though all of those do appear as detected devices in my advanced streaming options window and everything's configured properly.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:36 PM
  • I saw your thread (with Chris Cupler)

the only questions I have (might have gone there already)
    ... is if the TV's support DLNA can they PULL content off your W7 PC?

and were you able to set up the extender as a Media Center Extender?
    ...did the PC see the XBOX and get all the way through setup?
    ...even if you don't use the XBOX as an extender, this would be interesting

On Tue, 26-Jan-10 19:36:28 GMT, Doogshnooglis wrote:

Just to throw another raised hand in here... I'm having similar issues. My XBOX
    and my Win7x64 machine can't contact each other for media functions, even when
    connected through a plain old switch, running no firewall software (even windows
    firewall), and using properly configured static IPs. The same goes for my TVs,
    even though all of those do appear as detected devices in my advanced streaming
    options window and everything's configured properly.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:58 AM
  • The TV can pull the content from the PC only when I run the ps3mediaserver software that I downloaded. With that, pulling media from the PC works like a charm. If I try to just use WMP and all, the closest I can ever get it to working is that the TV can see that the shares exist on the PC, but can't actually access them. It just looks for a moment like it's loading, and then gives up.

The XBOX, I was not able to set up as an extender. It shows up as a device in the homegroup display, but if I open Media Center and try to add an extender, I can see my two Linksys extenders, but neither XBOX. If I use "add extender" to just manually type in the code that the XBOX gives on screen, it fails while searching for the extender.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 2:33 PM
  • forgot to ask, is that Linksys router you mentioned in the other thread running
    3rd party firmware? what version firmware is it running and what router and
    hardware rev.?

is the router serving DHCP?

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:22 PM
  • It's not, on both counts there. But as I mentioned in the other thread, taking the router completely out of the equation doesn't fix the situation. So, it's definitely not an issue related to anything whatsoever on the network. It's either something on the XBOX - which is super unlikely, since it's up to date and otherwise works - or something in Windows 7, which is my big suspicion, because not only is that the only remaining variable, but it also seems to be extremely common for people to have these same symptoms.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:37 PM
  • It seems like this is happening to a bunch of people and not just me, hehe!
    Why is this Play To feature so damn complicated?
    I thought it was "JUST SUPPOSE TO WORK MICROSOFT!!!"
    I do love windows 7, but the play to not working pisses me off.
    This whole thread is just getting to complicated to follow for what is suppose to be a simple feature
    I hope that microsoft will address this issue soon so it is not so complicated to use
    Sorry for adding nothing to this tread, I just wanted to chime in with my frustration on the issue

Take care
    Monday, February 01, 2010 1:35 AM
  • I'm having the same issue here too. I can't get the play to to work. I'm trying from my wireless laptop to xbox 360 extender in media center mode. I have WRT160Nv2 router.  I noticed the above comment about some "pseudo-control".  I too can start playing music on the xbox extender and have some control of the music being played volume,  move forward/backward from my laptop.  But no luck playing with the "play to" from my laptop to the extender.  I'm runnning AVG AV.
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 2:39 PM
  • Have you temporarily tried uninstalling AVG?

On Tue, 2-Feb-10 14:39:23 GMT, jh3_bears wrote:

>I'm having the same issue here too. I can't get the play to to work. I'm trying from my wireless laptop to xbox 360 extender in media center mode. I have WRT160Nv2 router. I noticed the above comment about some "pseudo-control". I too can start playing music on the xbox extender and have some control of the music being played volume, move forward/backward from my laptop. But no luck playing with the "play to" from my laptop to the extender. I'm runnning AVG AV.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 11:41 AM
  • I'm having similar issues.. trying to use the playto feature to push media to a DLNA DMR (an internet radio) from Windows7 DMS. using another DMC (plugplayer on iphone) I can use Win7 as DMS and the DMR as expected, however, if I use win7 as both the DMS and DMC then the whole process hangs at "connecting to media server" using the internet radio as DMP with the same pc also works fine.
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 6:27 PM
  • what is the exact device you are pushing to? is it DLNA 1.5 certified?

Monday, February 22, 2010 10:54 AM
  • devices are not released to public yet but a beta version of the software passes DLNA 1.5 for both DMP and DMR.

on most of our test rigs the play to is fine - just this specific setup seems to fail - a wireshark trace shows the radio sending what it should... subscribing and so on correctly - it just doesn't ever get told what to play (the play to dialogue box is capable of adjusting volume and mute etc. just not connecting the radio to a source).

Win7 ultimate 64bit is the windows version running on a quad core intel.
    Monday, February 22, 2010 4:37 PM
  • Cata from Microsoft reads these threads and probably will reply here and
    possibly ask for these captures. I'm sure the trace will help..

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 16:37:01 +0000, k1993r wrote:

>devices are not released to public yet but a beta version of the software passes DLNA 1.5 for both DMP and DMR.on most of our test rigs the play to is fine - just this specific setup seems to fail - a wireshark trace shows the radio sending what it should... subscribing and so on correctly - it just doesn't ever get told what to play (the play to dialogue box is capable of adjusting volume and mute etc. just not connecting the radio to a source).Win7 ultimate 64bit is the windows version running on a quad core intel.

Monday, February 22, 2010 9:13 PM
  • The basic events that occur in the capture are:

19.3s ->  19.9s: Win7 box subscribes to the events from the device
    20.1s -> 334.8s: Win7 box polls the status via 'AVT:GetTransportInfo' command.
    335.3s          : Win7 box issues an 'AVT:Stop' command.
    335.8s -> 495.8s: Win7 box polls the status via 'AVT:GetTransportInfo' command.

There was also a Mute and Unmute command at 66.8s and 69.7s respectively
    (issued to verify the connection).

The polls to AVT:GetTransportInfo occur every ~0.5s. The SOAP request is as
    follows:

<SOAP-ENV:Envelope
    xmlns:SOAP-ENV="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"
    SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
      <SOAP-ENV:Body>
        <m:GetTransportInfo xmlns:m="urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:AVTransport:1">  
          <InstanceID xmlns:dt="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:datatypes" dt:dt="ui4">
          </InstanceID>
        </m:GetTransportInfo>
      </SOAP-ENV:Body>
    </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

The response from the device is:

<s:Envelope
    s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
    xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/">
      <s:Body>
        <u:GetTransportInfoResponse
         xmlns:u="urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:AVTransport:1">
          <CurrentTransportState>
            NO_MEDIA_PRESENT
          </CurrentTransportState>
          <CurrentTransportStatus>
            OK
          </CurrentTransportStatus>
          <CurrentSpeed>
          </CurrentSpeed>
        </u:GetTransportInfoResponse>
      </s:Body>
    </s:Envelope>
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 4:25 PM
  • oooooooooooooooooooook....

so it's AVG's fault...

go into it's advanced properties and turn off all the link scanning options... devices now play fine.

• Proposed as answer by acetate Saturday, April 24, 2010 6:20 AM
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 11:50 AM
  • SERIOUSLY!!!  i upgraded for one reason to be able to "easily" access my media anywhere from a single server, why is this so hard, i tunes doesn't seem to have a problem w/ home sharing, and i can use my iphone as a remote, i feel like a beta tester here, its always erratic, i have 2 brand new installs of win 7 on both a laptop and pc, i can find and play music, vids, pics from my desktop to my laptop, but when i try to "play to" from my laptop to my desktop nothing happens, the screen just stares blankly back at me as if i should know better, the play to window doesn't even pop up on the laptop, it did before, i disabled my avg link scanner on both computers, that dint help, why does it only work one way, desktop to laptop, (the laptop can pull from the desktop tho) both computer are mirrored as far as i can tell one is wireless and the other is wired, using a belkin f5d8236-4 v3 wireless router and upnp is enabled, latest firmware is installed, plz help

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:27 PM
  • Thank you, thank you thank you.

I have 2 win7 computers and a WD HD TV Live unit networked together. I could Play To any media located on either computer to the TV by using the WD but could not Play To either computer or to the WD from either computer. Everything showed up on the network map but I always got "contacting media server" message. Tried everything short of pulling out my hair but nothing worked. Then I found the post from k1993r about AVG advanced setting so I turned off all link scan options and now everything works like it should.

Again thank you k1993r, thank you.

Sunday, June 27, 2010 9:32 PM
  • I have had all of these problems as well.

Here was my only issue:   AVG "Link Scanner" on the PC that is "connected" to my Extenders.  As soon as I disabled Link Scanner, I could push audio out from 3 different devices to this XBOX.

Enjoy

Saturday, August 07, 2010 10:51 PM
  • Does anybody know if Microsoft have solved this yet?

I have a news Windows 7 64 bit laptop and a new W7 32 bit desktop.  I can't "send to" from one to the other either way round.  The desktop does at least acknowledge the existence of the laptop as a possible player but when I try to send media to it, it just says cannot find media server.  If there is something playing on the laptop's Windows Media Player, it stops so it is obviously communicating but there seems to be some permissions problem (I'm guessing) letting it go any further.  The other way around, the laptop doesn't even recognise the desktop as a media server.  They are both members of the home group with exactly the same permissions and settings applied to both, I can share  and I've followed all the instructions I can find.

When is Microsoft going to fix this problem so that the reality matches their advertising?

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 12:11 PM
  • do these computers see each other in the network window and is Windows Media
    Player OPEN on both machines when you attempt to use "Play To"?

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 12:11:06 +0000, BusyBee.net wrote:

>
    >
    >Does anybody know if Microsoft have solved this yet?
    >
    >
    > I have a news Windows 7 64 bit laptop and a new W7 32 bit desktop.  I can't "send to" from one to the other either way round.  The desktop does at least acknowledge the existence of the laptop as a possible player but when I try to send media to it, it just says cannot find media server.  If there is something playing on the laptop's Windows Media Player, it stops so it is obviously communicating but there seems to be some permissions problem (I'm guessing) letting it go any further.  The other way around, the laptop doesn't even recognise the desktop as a media server.  They are both members of the home group with exactly the same permissions and settings applied to both, I can share  and I've followed all the instructions I can find.
    >
    >When is Microsoft going to fix this problem so that the reality matches their advertising?

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 2:11 PM
  • I am not sure if this is solved or not...but I found the solution last night after I spent the most frustrating 5 hours of my life! This is surely a windows problem( I dont use AVG ..so link scanner fix doesnt work for me). I recently replaced my HP laptop with a Dell Vostro 3450 and I suddenly found that 'Play To' feature wasn't working with my Samsung LED TV UA55C8000 .To confirm that it wasn't a firewall or format related issue I even used Samsung PC Share software on my PC to act as the DLNA server...With PC share as the server WMP12 didnt find any problems 'Contacting the Media Server' ...but with its own library it just remained stuck there, with an eventual failure message. [Point to be noted was that even when it failed to contact the media server I could control the volume of the TV!]

This is what did the trick for me:

1. Closed WMP12.

2. Go to Services [Control Panel->System and Security->Administrative Tools->Services]

3. Locate the service with name 'Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service'

4. Stop the Service manually.

5. Locate the service 'UpnP Device Host'. Stop the service and start it again.

6. Start 'Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service' now.

7. Close control panel and all associated windows. Open Windows Media Player...right click on a playlist and see if PlayTo option lists the TV. Try playing now...it started playing for me at this stage!

Hope this helps!

• Proposed as answer by Rajan Dahiya Friday, September 09, 2011 4:28 PM
    • Edited by Rajan Dahiya Friday, September 09, 2011 4:29 PM
    Friday, September 09, 2011 4:28 PM
  • Rajan, Thank you for this.  It worked for me too! :D

Finally, somebody in this thread who doesn't treat everybody with a problem as a complete idiot or looks everywhere except Windows for the problem (can the computers see each other on the network, have you tried uninstalling AVG etc?). I'm looking at you Barb!

Play to is a great concept so it is a shame that Microsoft have done such a poor implementation.  The user interface on WMP is clunky and unintuitive; the Play To window seems like an after-thought rather than being properly integrated. You should be able to right click on a song to send it to a device.  The error messages it gives break Microsoft's own guidelines in terms of helpfulness.  It seems reliant on the order in which services start, which is another breach of programming good practice and suggests it wasn't properly tested. And this thread is now over a year old and still no fix...

Friday, March 02, 2012 9:38 AM
  • thanks a lot for the tip. I just wish microsoft could sort this bit out and make it easier to use.

This is why the comnpetitors keep taking all the regular consumers by the thousands from microsoft.

Things should be easier to use without having to go through the gut of windows.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 1:22 AM
  • RAGINS POST WORKS! Do exactly as he said and it works perfectly!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Monday, December 17, 2012 9:46 AM
  • On my Win7 Ultimate x64 system, Play To only appears on my Android phone apps when Media Player (not Media Center) is running.
    Monday, July 22, 2013 6:21 PM