none
Using Dynamic (DHCP) IP and Static IP (Manual) in Windows 7 Problem

Question

• Hi everybody!

I know this question already have its own thread, but there are no answer for this problem yet! And I hope Microsoft will respond by my question here.

I'm connected to 2 LAN, office LAN that use static IP, and home LAN that use DHCP to get an IP.

In my TCP/IPv4 settings, general tab, I choose 'Obtain an IP address automatically' and 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' for my home LAN, and in Alternate Configuration tab, I put the IP address, subnet mask, gateway, DNS and alternate DNS settings for my office LAN.

When log into Windows 7 in office LAN, sometimes the OS failed to use the Alternate Configuration. For your information, there are no DHCP server in my office LAN. But, I can connect easily in my home LAN (DHCP).

I've use the similar settings in my previous, precious XP professional, and there was no problem to connect to both of the networks. It seems that in Windows 7, the OS failed to use the alternate configuration IF there are NO DHCP server exists. I really hope that Microsoft will solve this issue.

Many thanks for your attention!

Best regards,
    Rizuan
    Friday, October 23, 2009 3:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This kind of issues can be caused by incompatible Network Adapter drivers. Did you download the Windows 7 driver for the network adapter? If the driver is designed for Windows Vista, there may be compatibility issues.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:22 AM