none
Trying to load Windows 7 with ISO file

Question

• I have downloaded windows 7 64 bit iso file and burned to a DVD and I can't get the install started ... extension not recognized. What do I need to do to get this to install? I am currently running windows Vista.

Thanks in advance - Dan

Friday, November 12, 2010 2:14 AM

Answers

• I agree with everyone else, burn it to a DVD and use that to install Windows 7. 

ImageBurn is a free utility and should allow you to burn your DVD no problem.  Download and install ImageBurn in order to burn the DVD.  You want to select the "Write image file to disc" section and just browse to your image.  I also suggest you name the disc something you will recognize like "Win764bit". (it asks you to name the disc before it burns)

I hope this helps!

Saturday, November 13, 2010 12:29 AM

All replies

• You should burn the ISO onto a DVD.  For Windows Vista, I recommend ISO Recorder.

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Then you should be able to boot off this DVD and start setup.

Friday, November 12, 2010 3:21 AM
  • I have downloaded windows 7 64 bit iso file and burned to a DVD and I can't get the install started ... extension not recognized. What do I need to do to get this to install? I am currently running windows Vista.

Thanks in advance - Dan

Did you create a DVD from the .iso, or simply burn a copy of the .iso to a DVD?

If you created a DVD from the .iso (using a suitable utility, like the free http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download), you'll see a directory structure on the DVD.

Friday, November 12, 2010 4:00 AM
  • TheTechNet .iso downloads include a burning utility. Just right-click the .iso file and select the burn option with a dvd disc in the optical drive.
    Friday, November 12, 2010 1:49 PM
  • I don't see a "burn" option in Vista. I see a "send to" . What is going on here?
    Dan Lampe
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 12:10 AM
  • I agree with everyone else, burn it to a DVD and use that to install Windows 7. 

ImageBurn is a free utility and should allow you to burn your DVD no problem.  Download and install ImageBurn in order to burn the DVD.  You want to select the "Write image file to disc" section and just browse to your image.  I also suggest you name the disc something you will recognize like "Win764bit". (it asks you to name the disc before it burns)

I hope this helps!

Saturday, November 13, 2010 12:29 AM