ADK 8.1 System Image Manager: Cannot mount 8.1 install.wim

Question

• steps to reproduce
    1.) Installed ADK 8.1 Pro Preview installed on Windows 8 x64

2.) Downloaded Windows 8.1 x64 Pro Preview ISO

3.) Extract ISO file

4.) Launch Windows System Image Manager(SIM)

Select the "install.wim" file for Windows 8.1 x64 Pro Preview for the Windows Image within SIM.  The follow error appears after a minute or so:

"Catalog creation failed to complete.  This 64-bit version of Windows SIM can only create catalogs for 64-bit Windows images..."

Any one else come across this? 

FYI, I have confirmed I am using the proper 64-bit ISO and that the files are complete because Windows 8.1 will install manually.

I have created an unattend XML file from a Windows 8 version and used a text editor to fill in the fields for 8.1 however it would be nice to use SIM so that I could see what settings and features have changed for 8.1.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 12:55 PM

Answers

• I researched this some and I suspect this is related to a known issue with MDT 2013 (see the release notes).

The workaround is to manually create an unattend.xml file using a Windows 8 file as a guide.  However it would still be good to see new catalog options.

Thursday, August 01, 2013 4:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check if Windows System Image Manager is x64 bit.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 26, 2013 6:47 AM
  • Yes I verified that Windows System Image Manager is x64 bit.
    Friday, July 26, 2013 1:21 PM
  • Hi,
    I face exactly the same issue even with the newer Enterprise preview version of Windows 8.1. Regarding your question, I'm wondering if there's a special version of the ADK available for x64 systems? I just downloaded the ADK setup file from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39306 and installed it on a 2012 (x64) server. It was then installed in the Program Files (x86) folder, where I found only one version of the Imgmgr.exe. In short terms, I'm not sure if this is a 32 or 64 bit WSIM or how to check this.... and anyway, I don't have another one.
    However, the error message tells that "This 64-bit version of Windows SIM can only create catalogs for 64-bit Windows images", means that WSIM is 64bit but the wim-file is not... But I know, the wim file is a 64 bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise (I installed it already!)

Is there anyone who ever succeed to create a catalog file from one of the 8.1 x64 preview images?
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 6:58 AM
  • I researched this some and I suspect this is related to a known issue with MDT 2013 (see the release notes).

The workaround is to manually create an unattend.xml file using a Windows 8 file as a guide.  However it would still be good to see new catalog options.

Thursday, August 01, 2013 4:32 PM
  • Hello,

I am also having the same error and the solution was that I had to manually create the unattend file, very stupid :(

I await that microsoft find a fix for this bug.

Thanks

Friday, August 02, 2013 3:30 AM
  • I believe this is a problem with the Windows 8.1 media.  I tried to mount install.wim using ADK 8.0 and it faced the same error.
    Thursday, August 08, 2013 12:51 PM