none
How to tshoot USB3 HDD that randomly briefly disconnects then reconnects

Question

• On my W7/64 laptop, I have an external USB3 HDD connected to a USB3 port.

Randomly, I hear the "device disconnect" then shortly after "device connect" Windows sounds, and at the same time, the disk briefly disappears in the Windows explorer.

How do I troubleshoot this kind of issue ?

Is such event traceable in the Windows logs ? I only could find Events 51 in the "disk" source if there is disk access at that moment, but apparently no event is logged that matches the "device disconnect" then "device connect" Windows sounds.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check the following:

1. Is the USB 3.0 adapter is built-in or external? If it is an external one, please remove and re-plug it.
    2. Please try to connect the hard disk with another USB 3.0 cable.
    3. Update the chipset driver and the USB 3.0 adapter driver.

As the issue is related hardware, it is also recommended that you contact the support for the hardware manufacturer.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 21, 2012 9:54 AM
  • Hi,

Please check the following:

1. Is the USB 3.0 adapter is built-in or external? If it is an external one, please remove and re-plug it.

built-in, it's a laptop

2.  Please try to connect the hard disk with another USB 3.0 cable.

hard to do, as I only have one USB3 cable (the one that came with the HDD)

3.  Update the chipset driver and the USB 3.0 adapter driver.

Done already

As the issue is related hardware, it is also recommended that you contact the support for the hardware manufacturer.

Before that, isn't there a logging level that can be activated to track what currently can only be 'monitored' with the "device disconnect" and "device connect" sounds (and occasional event 51 errors) ?

Monday, December 24, 2012 8:19 AM