none
Superfetch stopped working

Question

•  

After a hard shut down, because the computer froze in a shut down state, the computer acted strangely, and when it finally got to running normally, I get this message that superfetch has stopped working.  How can I get it to work like it is suppose to?  I am running Vista Home Premium Build 6000
    Saturday, September 22, 2007 11:38 PM

Answers

• I found the answer to Superfetch stopped working, It was simple, but took about 12 hours to get the correct answer.  Do you know anything about prefetch in XP?  If so you know it builds up like cache on the internet and temp files.  Well all you need to do is clear those files in prefetch, and wala it takes care of the Superfetch problem.  This is something Microsoft does not tell you.  Thanks for the suggestion, but I liked this way much better. 

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 10:03 PM
  • This is for Vista as well as XP.

It worked for me, no guarantees, but it worked

Go to the start button,

select run

type in prefetch

click ok

when the screen comes up with a list

delete all of them

this should take care of the superfetch problem (There is a little more to superfetch in Vista than in XP= but I don't know any more than what I posted) good luck and I hope this works for you, it is much easier than doing a complete restore.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 9:12 AM
  • Delete everything in prefetch folder.  That should do it for you.

Friday, April 04, 2008 11:52 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

I suggest you performing a system restore.

Good luck

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 7:05 PM
  • I found the answer to Superfetch stopped working, It was simple, but took about 12 hours to get the correct answer.  Do you know anything about prefetch in XP?  If so you know it builds up like cache on the internet and temp files.  Well all you need to do is clear those files in prefetch, and wala it takes care of the Superfetch problem.  This is something Microsoft does not tell you.  Thanks for the suggestion, but I liked this way much better. 

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 10:03 PM
  • How do you clear the pre-fetch files in XP when I'm running Vista Home Basic?

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 11:47 PM
  • This is for Vista as well as XP.

Go to the start button,

select run

type in prefetch

click ok

delete all of them

this should take care of the superfetch problem (There is a little more to superfetch in Vista than in XP= but I don't know any more than what I posted) good luck and I hope this works for you, it is much easier than doing a complete restore.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 9:12 AM
  • I KEEP GETTING THIS MESSAGE SUPERFETCH HAS STOPPED WORKING. THEN WHEN I CLICK ON IT TO CHECK ONLINE TO SOLVE PROBLEM, IT NEVER DOES. BUT MY COMPUTER IS RUNNING VERY SLOW, AND SOMETIMES SHUTS DOWN.  HELP!!!!! I HATE THIS!!

Saturday, November 24, 2007 12:54 AM
  • Melissa:

Refer to my previous post on how to clear out the prefetch files, this should speed up your computer.  I cannot guarantee that it will but it worked for me.  You can do this about every 3 months depending on your usage of the computer.  If it is not a lot then every 6 mos or so.  I am not sure about the Super part of Superfetch, but it responds to clearing out prefetch.  Good Luck.

Saturday, November 24, 2007 3:55 PM
  • My computer running Vista home developed this problem last week and I couldn't figure out what to do.  I just did the prefetch command and deleted the files.  Everything seems to be running fine now.  Thanks.

My biggest problem with this solution was finding where Microsoft hid the "Run" command.    Grrrrr!

Thanks again.

Monday, November 26, 2007 4:53 PM
  • Buscobob:

Glad  to find out it worked out for you.  Just remember to clear that out every so often or when and if you get the message again.  I did this back in September of this year and have not had a problem since.  I did the initial clear of the prefetch files and have done nothing since.  Knock wood, that this was the end of the problem.  I know what you mean about the Vista.  There are a few things missing that was in XP.  I wish I could get them back, ie all those neat screen savers and themes.  I miss them.  Hope this continues to work for you, as it did for me.

Monday, November 26, 2007 5:50 PM
  •  You using windows Vista sp1 when this happen if so you all need to post this on vista sp1 because this could help MS fixs this problem

Sunday, December 23, 2007 1:34 AM
  • Was getting both occasional "Superfetch stopped" and regular "Host process stopped" messages.
    Researching the latter and applying suggested fixes - no progress made, but having seen the
    above re the Superfetch fix and applied it,  it seemingly has fixed both problems  (so far, in last 10 minutes) ..

It has apparently also fixed a curious glitch - where I had problems locking Desktop icons onto the bottom line, unless they were below something on the "second to bottom" line  ? ? ?

Thanks Smiley . . .
    Wednesday, January 02, 2008 12:47 AM
  • I tried this and the speed difference was obvious. I have a new (five months) HP Media Center with a Quad 2 Core Duo or whatever the designation is, FAST, is what it is supposed to be. It had been acting sluggish with a number of unstable errors happening like the HostProcess stopping and Superfetch stopping. Blue screen a number of times happened as well and I did system restore several times. I suppose doing regular maintenance for now would be up to me, but I certainly hope some sort of automatic cleaning is done in the SP1 release for Vista. Hopefully this solves some of my problems. Thanks for the work and the post.

Sunday, January 06, 2008 7:26 PM
  • Hi, Thanks for this I just tried it and it worked perfectly.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 8:27 PM
  • Do i delete everything in the prefetch folder or are there somethings i should keep?

If so what do i keep and what do i delete?

Thursday, April 03, 2008 11:48 PM
  • Delete everything in prefetch folder.  That should do it for you.

Friday, April 04, 2008 11:52 AM
  • I delete everything.  As per smiley's advise I also delete everything periodically.  Weekly, or whenever I remember to do it.  I haven't any problems since I started doing this.  Thanks again smiley!!

Friday, April 04, 2008 2:41 PM
  •  

Everything, including Layout.ini?

Doc

Friday, April 04, 2008 2:55 PM
  • Everything in the folder. When you are finished deleting you should not see anything in prefetch, should be a blank page with no files on it. 

Friday, April 04, 2008 9:33 PM
  •  

Done.  All seems to work fine.

Thanks for the info.

Doc

Saturday, April 05, 2008 12:46 AM
  •  MELISSAJ2003 wrote:

I KEEP GETTING THIS MESSAGE SUPERFETCH HAS STOPPED WORKING. THEN WHEN I CLICK ON IT TO CHECK ONLINE TO SOLVE PROBLEM, IT NEVER DOES. BUT MY COMPUTER IS RUNNING VERY SLOW, AND SOMETIMES SHUTS DOWN.  HELP!!!!! I HATE THIS!!

I can tell you're having problems with your system. It seems one of the symptoms is a stuck CAPS Lock key. Try hitting it again and again until the little CAPS Lock indicator light goes out. Let us know how that went.

Monday, April 07, 2008 5:54 PM
  • Just do as smiley says:

This is for Vista as well as XP.

Go to the start button,

select run

type in prefetch

click ok

delete all of them

-smiley

It worked for me and everyone else just make sure to delete EVERYTHING in the prefetch folder.Hope it works.

Monday, April 07, 2008 10:42 PM
  • Thanks for everything man, really helped.

Monday, April 07, 2008 10:44 PM
  • I searched for hours trying to find the solution to this agravating problem...Superfetch stopped working. These posts were the most helpful and worked for me.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 2:56 AM
  •  

Hey,

I never had this happen to me before. It happened after I changed my theme back to Aero from the theme that looks like XP (basic maybe). It also happened when I was looking at pictures so I thought it might have had something to do with that. Don't have the money for a new computer either, so thankful for this.....great to see people sharing their knowledge. Thanks a bunch!!!!

Thursday, June 26, 2008 5:15 AM
  • Thanks for the solution, it worked out well for me. Its better than doing complete restore.. now system is working great

Thursday, July 10, 2008 11:45 AM
  •  

Thanks so much for this help, it really works well.  But for me, I have to keep repeating it about once every 1-2 weeks.  If there's a more permanent solution, I'd love to hear it.

For me, I get both errors: Superfetch has stopped working, and Host Process for Windows Services has stopped working.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 8:05 PM
  • Thanks for the info.  That seems to have solved the superfetch problem.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 1:25 AM
  • I am just a bit worried to delete all those files including readyboot folder, you sure its ok?
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 3:15 PM
  • Yes it is ok to delete everything in the prefetch folder.  It works like cache, once you delete the files, and  start using the computer again,prefetch fills up again.  I am almost positive that if it is important it will be back in the prefetch folder.

Saturday, November 01, 2008 11:12 PM
  • Even delete the ReadyBoot folder?

Tuesday, December 09, 2008 4:22 AM
  • Do I need to delete the ReadyBoot file that is located in Prefetch?

Tuesday, December 09, 2008 4:24 AM
  • Yes, everything.

Tuesday, December 09, 2008 1:02 PM
  • HI all:  I have a New Dell 1545 with Vista Home premium and was getting this message a couple times a day.  I JUST did as Smiley suggested with REAL trepadation....and we will see.  Thanks, so much....it helped to read the other posts here...where others questioned "Remove EVERYTHING?" and the reply came back YES.  I just did this moments ago so don't have a performance report yet...but will keep the forum posted. Thanks again. IF this REALLY does work..it is sooo much easier than having to do a restore.  WHY can't MS just tell us this????

Docs9788

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:39 PM
  • Well, well, well...its been about 5 hours and it has happened 4 more times SINCE I deleted everything. I have deleted everything again each time.

We'll see...I guess

Doc

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:51 AM
  • OMG, i have been dealing with this problem for months and seriously thought it might be a hardware problem but I tried why you suggested and it worked like a charm.

Thanks for doing the research!
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 1:50 AM
  • smiliey, you are an absolute star!  Thank u so much for posting this solution.  I have been having the same problem for month PLUS my pointer arrow just wouldn't stop flashing with a timer.  This solution has completely resolved my problems.  Thank u thank u thank u
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:28 PM
  • To find "Run" in windows XP its start -> in the menu, you will find "Run", click it. And then type command prefetch.msi or any command. In windows Vista you can find "Run" Menu in Start -> Program --> Accessories --> "Run" menu. Another easy way to find Run is in vista Start --> in "Start Search" type "Run" the program will appear on top click this icon it will open "Run" input command box. Isn't it easy. 
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 4:37 AM
  • Thanks Smiley! It worked perfectly.   
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 6:44 AM
  • Thank you Smiliey. I have Vista Ultimate and one week ego after some drivers update this nightmare started. Once i clear the folder, the service is up and running again. Thanks a lot.
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 1:22 AM
  • thanks i was getting worried about the problem now its gone thanks a lot m8
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 11:10 PM
  • I did this and it worked perfectly also.  Try this first for sure!!! THANKS TO ALL
    Saturday, April 02, 2011 1:51 PM
  • I did this and it worked perfectly also.  Try this first for sure!!! THANKS TO ALL

You can try this coode in command line :

1:Run CMD.EXE As Administrator

2:type : Cleanmgr.exe /Sageset:1

3: Select all item in the list and then OK

4: type : Cleanmgr.exe /Sagerun:1

Good Job..!!!

Alireza Heidari Seradj
    Friday, June 24, 2011 12:54 AM
  • Thank you, I was looking for the answer to this problem
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:30 PM
  • I have Vista on my laptop and all I did when I could not find "Run" was go to start, then type "Prefetch" into the "Startsearch" area.  Immediately, "Run" pops up on the top of the start section.  Just click on it and it takes you to that "Run" area!

I want to add, that I have had no problems with an error code or any other Superfetch issue but my computer has been starting so slow... Really bad, so I tried this clearing the cache and it has helped incrediably!  THANK YOU all who have helped people like me who know next to nothing about computers.  This is such a helpful place to find answers to issues that can make such a difference in the regular running of the computer.  (smiles!)

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:35 PM
  • I just tried this and it worked perfectly. Thank you!
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 12:10 AM