none
Your folder can't be shared.

Question

• I am a local administrator on this domain member Windows 7 Professional computer. When I try to share a folder, I get the message "Your folder can't be shared". The folder is on a local USB-attached drive. That is all the message says; it does not provide any further details whatsoever. Also, I cannot seem to find a KB article pertaining to this issue. Very frustrating. Any help would be very much appreciated!

TIA,

Sam "flux"

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Sam, you can try enabling file sharing in the network properties:

Network and Sharing Center -> Click the current connection -> Status -> Properties

Make sure that "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" is checked.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 12:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Sam, you can try enabling file sharing in the network properties:

Network and Sharing Center -> Click the current connection -> Status -> Properties

Make sure that "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" is checked.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 12:53 AM
  • I have the same problem. All possible sharing is turned on and encryption has been downgraded. Everyone has full access for both share and security permissions and I am an administrator of the machine. I can even check the share box in advanced sharing but get the "Your folder can't be shared" message when I try from the context menu. Bottom line is tht the folder is not shared.
    Alan MacKenzie asmac@hotmail.com
    Wednesday, June 02, 2010 5:39 PM
  • I had the same problem. After i disabled the Virtual Machine network adaptor it worked. I turned the VM machine adaptor after the sharing and all is good. Hope theis helps you out.
    • Proposed as answer by stivio Friday, May 17, 2013 6:56 PM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:43 AM
  • I have Win7x64 with VMWare for other virtual systems and [paulie_] suggestion solved the problem for me correctly, thx.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:30 AM
  • I had similar error due to my 'right-clicking' the folder I desired to 'share' on a Windows 7 Pro box.  Found that I instead had to utlize:

'Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\ComputerManagement'

Then, 'SystemTools\SharedFolders\Shares' and create a 'New Share'.  Configured with the wizard and all done.  Silly me.

Friday, July 20, 2012 2:19 PM
  • Hi Paulie_, I believe I have inadvertently created a VM Network adaptor as I experiment with VMware and now I have this 'folder cannot be shared' problem.  Do you mind saying how you disabled the VM machine adaptor?

I found this technet article (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708372(v=ws.10).aspx) describing how-to, but it doesn't apply to my particular problem as I am using VMware/vsphere.  Any ideas, please?

Saturday, October 13, 2012 8:28 PM
  • Paulie_  - how on earth did you work that out - I disable VMware network adapters and it worked as you suggest!  Thanks.

Friday, May 17, 2013 6:56 PM
  • paulie_ answered this for me as well, I disabled all my VirtualBox and VMware adapters and now I'm able to share my folders. Thanks very much!!!
    Friday, August 09, 2013 4:02 PM
  • Go to network interfaces, right click the adapter, and select disable. Now it is disabled and you should be able to add the share. Afterwards you can right-click it to enable it again.
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:19 AM
  • Crazy Mando has it correct for those of us without any VM-ware. You have to go through the wizard.

• Edited by hoytpr Friday, September 27, 2013 4:44 PM
    Friday, September 27, 2013 4:44 PM
  • I was having the same problem after installing Visual Studio 2013. When I disabled the Internal Ethernet Port Windows Phone Emulator in the "Network Connections" control panel, I was able to share folders again.
    Monday, October 28, 2013 1:52 PM
  • I am a local administrator on this domain member Windows 7 Professional computer. When I try to share a folder, I get the message "Your folder can't be shared". The folder is on a local USB-attached drive. That is all the message says; it does not provide any further details whatsoever. Also, I cannot seem to find a KB article pertaining to this issue. Very frustrating. Any help would be very much appreciated!

TIA,

Sam "flux"

If you find all the answers below do no good (as I did) and your machine has been acting strange for some time, and running sfc /scannow resulted in some things that weren't fixable, and networking was working fine before, then there is probably only one answer left: the reinstallation of the OS.  In my case that was the one and only fix.  As soon as my  Win7 Pro got a makeover networking was a breeze.  LOL

Sunday, November 17, 2013 11:52 PM
  • I had the same issue. here is what i did to share a folder on windows 7.

from top menu select:

tools > Folder options...

in the pop-up window click on the "view" Tab

go to the bottom of the list and un-check "Use Sharing Wizard (recommended)" and hit OK

Then Right-click on the folder you want to share and from menu select:

Share with > Advanced sharing...

from "Share properties" window, select "share" tab and then "Advanced sharing..."

check "share this folder" and you can further set the permissions on the same pop-up window by clicking "permissions"

My other PC was on another network from where I wanted to access the folder on windows 7 so i added windows 7 pc to work group. you can play around with the workgroup but the above will share the folder without any error.

Friday, January 31, 2014 1:07 PM
  • Had the same issue on Windows 8.1 and this worked for me... I agree it is quite silly.
    Tuesday, March 04, 2014 12:20 PM
  • i use virtualbox latest 2014.

it solved my problem too.

thanks

Wednesday, April 02, 2014 1:10 PM
  • Thsnks paulie

This Is the exact reason why sharing wont be enabled.

Vmware takes control of all networks, I verified it by streaming online mp3 songs and then disabling the vmnet and vmnet8 adapter. streaming stops.

this is the culprit for all vmware users.

( Its really good to see such a great no of virtualization users )

Monday, May 12, 2014 9:08 AM