none
Dual boot - Win XP and Win 7

Question

• Hi;
    I am installing Win XP Pro and Win 7 on the same machine.
    I plan to install each in its own partition, but on the same physical drive.
    I'm not sure if it makes a difference performance wise which OS I install first, but I would like to have the best performance for Win 7.

If I install Win 7 first, will I have trouble when I install Win XP on the other partition?
    From what I recall, doing this with Win XP and Win 2000, I had to back up the NTloader, boot.ini, NTDetect, and I think one or two other files that reside on the boot drive before installing the older OS, as I believe the older OS will put a different version of these files onto the boot drive, rendering the newer OS inaccessible.

Would I just be better off installing XP first?
    As long as there isn't a performance hit on the 2nd OS install, that is what I will most likely do anyway.

Thanks for your help.

FW
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 7:18 PM

Answers

• When installing multiple version of Windows for multi-booting it is always best to install the oldest OS first. If you install a newer OS (Windows 7) then an older OS (XP) the bootloader for the newer OS will get overwritten and only XP will be bootable. The older OS won't reconise the newer OS. If you do it the other way, XP first, then Windows 7 will recognize the older OS (XP) and setup a boot menu so you can choose which OS to load.

Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:25 PM

All replies

• When installing multiple version of Windows for multi-booting it is always best to install the oldest OS first. If you install a newer OS (Windows 7) then an older OS (XP) the bootloader for the newer OS will get overwritten and only XP will be bootable. The older OS won't reconise the newer OS. If you do it the other way, XP first, then Windows 7 will recognize the older OS (XP) and setup a boot menu so you can choose which OS to load.

Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:25 PM
  • The ongoing rule is: install the older operating system first.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:27 PM
  • OK. Thanks for the advice.
    That's what I'll do.

FW
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:11 PM