none
Screen goes dark when windows 7 running

Question

• I have a Thinkpad T60. Suddenly this week the screen is dark when the pc boots to windows7, like the lcd backlight is not lit. Power adapter or battery does not matter.  If I hook up an external monitor it works fine. The splash screen is backlit, and if I go into the bios it stays lit.

Furthermore, I can boot to a CD and it stays lit. As soon as the Windows splash screen comes up it goes dark. I have tried the "fn+ home" to light up, however cannot get any result. By connecting it to a monitor I have looked at every setting in display properties, energy management, etc. and can find nothing that makes the thing light up. I tried installing the latest video card drivers. I reset the bios back to factory settings... ... :-(

I am open to any ideas! Is this hardware or software? Anyone seen anything like this before?
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:44 AM

Answers

• I've got a Thinkpad x61 Tablet that's got some minor video issues (intermittent flashing of parts of the desktop).  I believe it's driver related, but I don't want to waste the time tracking it down. 

Since it works well with other stuff, but not Win7 - we can presume that the hardware is OK.
    That leaves the drivers and software.
    The software is beta, so filing a report is probably a good thing.
    But the drivers are (IMO) the most likely cause.

I'd suggest trying the latest Vista drivers from the Lenovo website.  If that doesn't work, then the latest Vista drivers from the manufacturer of the video chipset (try Win7 drivers also if they've got them).

Uninstall the old drivers before installing the new ones.
    - John
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:04 PM

All replies

• did you activate windows? Could it be a pirate?
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 6:05 AM
  • Yes, I had activated windows. We all use the beta version of the Windows7, it is still under the test at present.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 6:10 AM
  • Sounds like the video driver has problems, have you tried safe mode? If that works then you can remove the video controller and it might boot into a configuration that It likes.
    I wouldn't blame the lcd if it works in the bios,
    can't blame the windows if it shows on external monitor,
    but I have read a few posts where dual screen configuration is playing up and even more saying that video drivers stop working unexpectedly.

I have a diff model thinkpad and it keeps returning to a generic driver.  but no screen at all? Good luck. 

took a look round the forums, perhaps this thread will be useful:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/62a6ad4a-8cbd-40ea-b4a3-0dfd5185ce7a/
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:44 AM
  • I've got a Thinkpad x61 Tablet that's got some minor video issues (intermittent flashing of parts of the desktop).  I believe it's driver related, but I don't want to waste the time tracking it down. 

Since it works well with other stuff, but not Win7 - we can presume that the hardware is OK.
    That leaves the drivers and software.
    The software is beta, so filing a report is probably a good thing.
    But the drivers are (IMO) the most likely cause.

I'd suggest trying the latest Vista drivers from the Lenovo website.  If that doesn't work, then the latest Vista drivers from the manufacturer of the video chipset (try Win7 drivers also if they've got them).

Uninstall the old drivers before installing the new ones.
    - John
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:04 PM
  • Adding this more for amusement than as a solution, It is funny some of the stuff that happens: 

Intel® Mobile Adapters
    IBM ThinkPad* 600 black screens after CardBus II is installed  

After installing the adapter and rebooting the system, this model may black screen and power down. This problem results from a certain version of the NeoMagic MagicGraph 128XD* video drivers (4.10.01.0007 - Q6.14.00). Get updated video drivers 4.10.01.0011-Q6.17.01, available on Microsoft's WHQL site*.

(Category = Display chipsets, Company=NeoMagic).

This applies to: Intel® PRO/100 CardBus II Adapter
    Intel® PRO/100 LAN+Modem56 CardBus II Adapter
    Intel® PRO/100 S Combo Mobile Adapter
     Intel® PRO/100 S Mobile Adapter
    Intel® PRO/100 SR Combo Mobile Adapter
    Intel® PRO/100 SR Mobile Adapter

and from lenovo <6.14.10.3879>
    - [Important]
           (Only the system with Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
            Connection installed)
            Fix for system hang after attaching/detaching the AC adapter
            to/from the system if the system installed the Intel wireless
            LAN driver version 9.0.1.21 or higher.
             (Note)
              To fix this problem, the power management function of video,
              "Dual Frequency Graphics Technology", is always disabled.
    - (Fix) If the external display is attached and the LCD display panel
            is closed and opened, the screen is enabled on the external
            display only.
    - (Fix) (Windows 2000 only) The remote function in Tivoli application
            shows blank screen on the Windows logon screen.
    - (Fix) On the IBM T210 monitor, a screen is shrunk and displayed in
            the center with 2048 x 1536 screen resolution.

If someone knows where Dual Frequency Graphics Technology
    can be located I would be grateful

I'm off to check my card bus

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:39 PM
  • Did you solve this issue?

My T60 has the same problem... It seems like there is a problem in the driver when pressing <windows-key>+X the windows mobility center shows that I can ajust my screen brightness. After closing the lid the screen is dimmed automatically and does not return to the origional brightness.

Pressing <windows-key>+X reviels the Windows mobility center again. But the option to change screen brighness has dissapeared. Rebooting will display the function to ajust screen brightness again.

This seems to me a indication that something went wrong. Did you find a solution for this?

Thomas
    Friday, June 12, 2009 11:47 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem as Thomas with my T60.

With some additional and even more annoying feature - half of the times I come out from sleep, the display is not turned on at all. Remote desktop to the laptop works perfectly.
    But also when lid is just closed (with "do nothing" action) the light is turned to minimum on opening the lid and it cannot be adjusted neither by windows means ([WIN]+x) nor T60 means ([Fn]+[Home])

Alar
    Monday, September 28, 2009 4:54 AM
  • Also having this issue with a fresh install of Win7 on a T60 - exact same symptoms.   Lid close seems to cause the behavior, reboot will turn backlight on.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 2:26 AM
  • Hi, I'm nearly have the same problem with Windows 7, with the notebook Dell XPS M1710.
    That's when I close the screen, so the notebook go hibernating, and then I reopen it, the notebook leave the hibernating mode, and that's here the screen goes dark, the brightness is very low, despite the brightness setting is at max. The only solution is to reboot the notebook.
    So now I can't use hibernating mode, I have to always shutdown the notebook. :(
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 5:38 PM