Windows 8 logon/lock screen screensaver problem

Question

• I am a developer. My software relies on showing a custom screensaver. I tested it under Windows 8 Release Preview (64-bit), English version that was released on May 31, 2012 and the screensaver still works under a logged on user account. The problem happens if the screensaver is installed to show during the logon/lock screen. In this registry key:
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop -> "SCRNSAVE.EXE"
    What happens is that instead of a screensaver (during the logon/lock screen) I see just a black screen. This seems to go away if I cancel the black screen by moving the mouse and wait for the screensaver to kick in again. This fixes it and the screensaver displays like it should.
    I thought that the issue was in my own screensaver, so I tried it with the Ribbons.scr that is shipped in the Windows/System32 folder on Windows 8 and the same issue happens there as well.
    Any idea what's going on?
    PS. To reproduce this behavior do the following:
    1. Start the Desktop.
    2. Install the logon/lock screen screensaver. To do that set the following registry values (all REG_SZ type):
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop -> "SCRNSAVE.EXE" = "C:\Windows\system32\Ribbons.scr"
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop -> "ScreenSaveActive" = 1
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop -> "ScreenSaveTimeout" = 60
    3. Lock workstation. The easiest way is to do WindowsKey + R to bring up the Run Dialog and execute this command:
    RUNDLL32 USER32.DLL,LockWorkStation
    4. Wait for a minute when the lock screen is on for the screensaver to kick in. When it does, I get a static black screen. If you cancel it by moving a mouse and wait while in the lock screen again the next time you will see the Ribbons screensaver.

• Edited by ahmd0 Monday, June 04, 2012 8:00 PM
    Monday, June 04, 2012 7:57 PM

Answers

• I will collect your feedback. Thanks for using Windows 8 RP.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by ahmd0 Wednesday, June 13, 2012 7:04 PM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 9:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Maybe you need to restart Windows 8 to apply your settings. I can repro the issue after applying the screensave without rebooting.

Niki Han

Thursday, June 07, 2012 6:56 AM
  • Thanks for doing this.

I was wondering if this looks like a bug to you and if so how to bring up Microsoft's attention to this since it seems to work without rebooting on all previous versions of Windows?
    Thursday, June 07, 2012 4:39 PM
  • I will collect your feedback. Thanks for using Windows 8 RP.

Niki Han

• Marked as answer by ahmd0 Wednesday, June 13, 2012 7:04 PM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 9:14 AM
  • I write this due probably Niki Han can inform this to MS.
    Under windows 8 , when lock system after unlock, any VIRTUAL MIDI DRIVER, LIKE midiyoke, loopbe1, loopbe30, and others stop work!

You have to close and open any software use this drivers for make start work again.
    Is very clear windows lock on windows 8 have some deep changes compared with windows 7.
    Hoppe somebody form MS can take a look in that, also windows 8 have big trouble with DPC latency.

• Edited by Groboto Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:22 PM
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:21 PM
  • Yes, especially that my original issue with screensaver is not fixed yet... Windows 8 RP had several updates and I was hoping that they fix it by now but.... not yet.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 7:51 PM