none
Win 8 game apps "Can't connect to the service you need right now" with VPN

Question

• I have been getting the message "Can't connect to the service" when I try to sign in to the Xbox games service. This occurs when launching any of the Windows 8 games such as MS Mahjong and MS Solitaire.

I decided to try disconnecting the VPN I use almost all day and the game and music apps would now let me sign in to my Xbox account. I have ran the Win 8 Apps Troubleshooter program but it did not solve the VPN issue (though it did fix the update problem I was having with the News and Sports live tiles).

I can sign in to Xbox through the VPN if I uncheck the 'Use default gateway on remote network' setting in the VPN Advanced TCP/IP Settings box. However, I have to use the remote gateway in certain instances, so that is not an option.

Can anyone tell me what I would need to change so that I can sign in to Xbox games when connected to a VPN, accessing the internet through the VPN's remote gateway?

Friday, June 21, 2013 9:22 PM

All replies

• Maybe blocked by the VPN server site. Similar issue is uses cannot connect to Internet after connecting via VPN.

To resolve the issue, refer to:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317025

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:39 AM
  • I appreciate you reviewing my issue, but I don't think the KB article is applicable in this instance. The VPN server does not have any filters or blocks in play and I can get to the internet without a problem when the VPN is connected (using the remote gateway). I can even log into my Xbox account once I have launched a web browser.

The only time that I cannot log in is through the Win 8 Metro game interface.

I have also noticed that in the last couple of days the Win 8 Metro news articles are not updating to match the current live tile pictures. After running the application troubleshooter a few days ago it seemed to have resolved this issue. Now it is back.

As soon as I close the VPN the Metro news articles update on my screen. Again, whether the VPN is connected or not, I can get to the internet and to MSN's site through the web browser.

Maybe this is a limitation to the Metro UI?

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 4:09 PM