none
How to upgrade Windows 7 from Professional Edition to Enterprise Edition

Question

• Hello,

I would like to know the recommendation of ugrading from Windows 7 Professional edition to Windows 7 enterprise edition in 2 scenarios:

• From Windows 7 Professional Edition (OEM) to Windows 7 Enterprise Edition
    • From Windows 7 Professional Edition (Volume License) to Windows 7 Enterprise Edition

Please kindly let me know whether it need to reinstall or I can in-place upgrade and if Microsoft has a knowledge base article available.

Regards,

U37TCP

Thursday, May 06, 2010 5:02 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I would like to know the recommendation of ugrading from Windows 7 Professional edition to Windows 7 enterprise edition in 2 scenarios:

• From Windows 7 Professional Edition (Volume License) to Windows 7 Enterprise Edition

Please kindly let me know whether it need to reinstall or I can in-place upgrade and if Microsoft has a knowledge base article available.

Regards,

U37TCP

It will not work.  I just tried it on my Win 7 x64 Pro.  You get an error stating:

Enter a different upgrade key

The upgrade key you entered is for an edition of Windows that does not work with Windows Anytime Upgrade.  Enter a different upgrade key.

• Proposed as answer by Rick Dee Friday, May 07, 2010 2:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by u37tcp Monday, May 10, 2010 4:13 PM
    Friday, May 07, 2010 2:21 PM

All replies

• As long as they are the same bit version (x86 to x86, or x64 to x64), then I would see no reason why you couldn't upgrade.  Though doing a reinstall would always be a preferred option.  You just have to remember to make sure you have the correct license - aka, your Windows 7 Pro license won't work with Win 7 Enterprise edition.

Here's a TechNet article, though - with all the supported upgrade paths:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772579%28WS.10%29.aspx

Thursday, May 06, 2010 5:30 PM
  • I've actually heard that MS made Windows 7 in such a way that one could upgrade in this scenario without having to reload the machine.  Not sure if that is the same for Pro to Ent...but it was certainly made that way for the home editions.

Once again though, you do have to stay on the same bit version or you absolutely have to start all over again.

Mike N.
    Friday, May 07, 2010 12:28 AM
  • As far as I know, you can only upgrade to Ultimate. Enterprise is a volume-licensed standalone version and not available as an upgrade from any other version.
    "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” (Thomas J. Watson, Sr.)
    Friday, May 07, 2010 12:53 PM
  • Hello,

Regards,

U37TCP

It will not work.  I just tried it on my Win 7 x64 Pro.  You get an error stating:

Enter a different upgrade key

The upgrade key you entered is for an edition of Windows that does not work with Windows Anytime Upgrade.  Enter a different upgrade key.

• Proposed as answer by Rick Dee Friday, May 07, 2010 2:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by u37tcp Monday, May 10, 2010 4:13 PM
    Friday, May 07, 2010 2:21 PM
  • Did you ever get a definitive answer on this? The replies below don't really answer your question. I know that Anytime upgrade won't work, but I have an Enterprise installer from work that I would like to run over my OEM version of Win 7 Pro.
    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 4:51 PM
  • Bluehighways wrote on 2012.12.26

Did you ever get a definitive answer on this? The replies below don't really answer your question. I know that Anytime upgrade won't work, but I have an Enterprise installer from work that I would like to run over my OEM version of Win 7 Pro.

You can try it, but every time I have tried doing this since Windows XP I always got an error telling me it could not be done.

This is only from personal experience so it is not a definitive answer. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 7:18 PM