none
Windows 7 Headphones Issue

Question

• I have tried the following: - Downloding the latest RealTech Drivers for both Windows Vista 64 and Windows 7, which actually made the Headphones option disappear so I uninstalled immediately afterwards. I'd also like to note that the Red Volum Button did not solve the problem either. There was still no sound after searching and trying every option available with that. - Trying the Windows Media Player Optons, which also did nothing - Trying to change it in the Playback Devices window, which did nothing. - Following the advice from the Youtube video, which did not help unfortunately. - Updating BIOS A sound device is installed on my computer. i'd also like to note that at one point there was still that green wave on the volume bar which signaled that a sound is being made but there is not one now. The device is working properly according to diagnostics. The headphone jack is not broken. The driver is upgraded. I'd upload the snippet but I'm afraid I can't figure out how. Basically, the option to set Headphones to Default has been grayed out. Probably because they can't be detected.
    Monday, February 22, 2010 12:55 PM

Answers

• Hi Nylarthotep,

Please first run the Troubleshooting tool by going to Start, type troubleshooting in to the Start Search box and then press ENTER. Click Troubleshoot audio playback and see if the culprit can be found.

If the issue persists, please double check all cable connections between the sound card and headphone. Please make sure the headphones are correctly connected and the power is on. You can check the issue with another headphong jack.

Also, try reinstalling the sound device from Device Manager by the steps below:

1.     Click "Start", input "Device Manager" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press "Enter".

2.     Double-click "Sound, video and game controllers" to expand it.

3.     Right-click the installed Sound Card and then click Uninstall.

4.     Restart the computer.

5.     Run Windows Update and see if the sound card driver can be downloaded and installed.

If the device is not working properly, it indicates that this current driver/device is not compatible with Windows 7. To resolve this issue, you will need to contact the manufacturer to get the latest compatible driver.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, March 02, 2010 2:32 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 6:14 AM

All replies

• More information about your system is needed.
    Network Systems Engineer * Zvetco Biometrics * Windows Server 2008 R2 * Core2 6600 @ 2.40GHz * 16 GIGS RAM * NVIDIA 9400GT * **>>PLEASE VOTE POSTS AS USEFUL TO ASSIST OTHER USERS<
    Monday, February 22, 2010 3:03 PM
  • You need to be a little clearer as to what you are trying to say.  Does your computer have front panel connections?

What is the exact Make, Model, and Series of your motherboard?  Where is this Red Volume Button?
    Monday, February 22, 2010 4:36 PM
  • I'm using the headphone jacks in front of the desktop. I've tried every 3.5mm port and Windows 7 just isn't able to detect my headphones but I had no issues with Vista before I installed this OS. USB ports are doing fine. RealTek wasn't able to detect the headphones in any of the sockets either. HDMI and SP/PDIF is working properly. The Headphones properties tells me it is at Location 0 (Internal High Definition Audio Bus). It could be the headphone jack itself. Should I change something in the Device Description under the Details tab? It's opting for simply "Device description" and nothing specific. The Jack Information is listed as LR Front Panel 3.5 mm jack. Just bought a new pair that is iPod compatible. Previous pair I had worked when Vista was installed but neither are able to be detected so to speak. Interestingly enough, there are two options under the Volume icon that lead to the same window but with different names. "Volume control options" and "Open Volume Mixer".
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:46 AM
  • Hi Nylarthotep,

Please first run the Troubleshooting tool by going to Start, type troubleshooting in to the Start Search box and then press ENTER. Click Troubleshoot audio playback and see if the culprit can be found.

If the issue persists, please double check all cable connections between the sound card and headphone. Please make sure the headphones are correctly connected and the power is on. You can check the issue with another headphong jack.

Also, try reinstalling the sound device from Device Manager by the steps below:

1.     Click "Start", input "Device Manager" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press "Enter".

2.     Double-click "Sound, video and game controllers" to expand it.

3.     Right-click the installed Sound Card and then click Uninstall.

4.     Restart the computer.

5.     Run Windows Update and see if the sound card driver can be downloaded and installed.

If the device is not working properly, it indicates that this current driver/device is not compatible with Windows 7. To resolve this issue, you will need to contact the manufacturer to get the latest compatible driver.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, March 02, 2010 2:32 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 6:14 AM
  • I've considered the possibility of a loose wire but have ruled that out as well. As I've stated, when Vista was installed there were no sound issues and the tower hasn't been moved around hard enough to knock something loose. Either way the jumbled mass of plugs next to the motherboard is beyond me. Uninstalling and reinstalling the sound device has not helped but the sound card is more than fine. As I've stated, the evidence of sound being played when I, for example, Youtube a video, is there. I haven't tried to see if speakers would work on this machine.
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 12:07 AM
  • What is the result after running the Troubleshooting tool as previously mentioned?

If the issue persists after running the Troubleshooting tool, please provide the following information for further research:

Capture screenshot

============

1.     Please right click on the volume icon and then click "Playback devices"

2.     Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

3.     Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

4.     In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

5.     The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

6.     Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click "Desktop" on the left pane and then click "Save".

7.     Please upload the screenshot to your SkyDrive at www.skydrive.live.com and let us know the link.

Collect the System Information

============

1.     Press Start, type in msinfo32 in the Start Search bar and then press Enter.

2.     Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3.     Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

4.     Upload the compressed file to SkyDrive at www.skydrive.live.com

Regarding SkyDrive:

1. As an important note, if you do not want others to access the uploaded files, when uploading the file, please expand the "Share with" box, choose "Select people...", and then type my Windows Live ID "v-linyan@hotmail.com" (without the quotation marks) in the Individual box. For detailed steps on how to upload files with SkyDrive, please refer to:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

2. The above Windows Live ID is ONLY for collecting troubleshooting information. Please do NOT send your questions to it. For any new questions, please post in the forums so that more MSFT, MVP and community members can help you.

Regards,

Linda

Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:40 AM
  • I have this very same issue with all publicly indexed drivers for Windows 7 and Realtek High Definition Audio (mine is an ALC882). 

The one that worked on my computer is older, designed for VISTA, and it doesn't have the newer features like graphic equalizer (but it does have some presets)  -- more importantly, the headphones work properly.

Try googling for a file named ALC880-882_Vista_V6015306.zip

Saturday, March 27, 2010 5:21 AM