none
Win 7 Enterprise Activation - MAK or KMS???

Question

• I'm testing Win 7 Enterprise this weekend and installed using a MAK provided via my technet license. Everything I've read regarding MAK activation is that to use MAK activation, all you have to do is use a MAK. So, I was perplexed when Win 7 reported activation error - 8007251D (can't locate KMS server?). Why is my OS trying to activate via KMS instead of MAK???? If you want to know how I'm certain its a MAK, when I go to retrieve my key in technet, it say "Multiple Activation Key" next to the key code. I don't have a KMS set up and don't want to build one. How do I get MAK to work like its advertised???

Thanks
    Monday, August 17, 2009 2:26 AM

Answers

• You cannot enter a license key during installation when installing Windows 7 Enterprise. That's why it will automatically try to locate a KMS in your network after installation. You can now chose to enter the MAK and the system will no longer look for a KMS.

You can enter the MAK in the UI in the System properties dialog or using slmgr.vbs on the command prompt.
    Ray
    Monday, August 17, 2009 7:04 AM

All replies

• You cannot enter a license key during installation when installing Windows 7 Enterprise. That's why it will automatically try to locate a KMS in your network after installation. You can now chose to enter the MAK and the system will no longer look for a KMS.

You can enter the MAK in the UI in the System properties dialog or using slmgr.vbs on the command prompt.
    Ray
    Monday, August 17, 2009 7:04 AM
  • Thanks, Ray

I would have never figured that one out. What I got out of reading the docs was that to use a MAK instead of KMS, all you had to do was enter a MAK. The part about not entering a MAK during install wasn't emphasized enough for me to notice. Furthermore, why doesn't the activation wizard that is complaining about not being able to find my KMS fail over to trying the key as a MAK or even recognize that it is a MAK? From an admin perspective, I've entered a key (during install). Now, 3 days later, Win is telling me its not valid. My instinct isn't going to me to enter the same key Win already has that its telling me is bad.

I had the same problem with Win2008 activation. I called MSFT support and was advised that I had to have a KMS to use a MAK or I would need to reinstall. I was forced to reinstall (and rebuild my domain, and reinstall Exchange). They understood this was a KMS. So, because they could have advised me to simply re-enter the key instead of having me rebuild my server, it seems that even MSFT folks aren't well educated on the process.

Anyway, thanks for saving me the time it would take to reinstall with a Win7 retail key!
    Monday, August 17, 2009 12:53 PM