none
USB Printer detection and "Port"

Question

• Three questions:

(1) Does anyone have any idea how to get Windows 7 to add a USB printer? In Add Printer the only options are "Add a Local Printer" (which states that this is not to be used for a USB Printer) or add Network Printer (which this is not). So therefore there's no way to add a USB printer at all. :-)

And since Windows 7 doesn't detect the HP LaserJet 1320 that's plugged into a USB port then there's nowhere to go.

(2) What does it mean to "Add a printer port" and give it a name when there's no way of specifying which hardware the "printer port" is connected to?

(3) Windows 7 seems happy to let you simply add a "Local Port" and give it some name, and then add a printer driver and print to this completely meaningless port. (Presumably the output just goes nowhere?) What is supposed to be happening here?

Cecil Ward
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 5:57 AM

Answers

• Hi Cecil

If the system does not detect the USB printer, then you simply add it manually.

Go to Control Panel.

Select All Control Panel Items.

Open Devices and Printers.

At the top of the window, select Add a Printer.

Select Add a Local Printer.

In Choose a Printer Port, select Use an existing port.

In the drop down menu, select the USB001(Virtual Printer Port for USB).

Select the Next Button.

In the Manufacturers section, select HP.

In the Printers section, look for your printer model and select it.

Note: If your printer does not appear in the HP list, select the nearest LaserJet series model number.

Click the Windows Update Button. WU will search the driver database for all HP printers.

Note: The search may take some time, be patient.

When the search is complete, go back to the HP section and your printer should now appear there. Select it and click the Next Button.

Your printer will appear in the printer name box, click Next again and the printer will be installed.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Thursday, June 04, 2009 9:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Cecil

If the system does not detect the USB printer, then you simply add it manually.

Go to Control Panel.

Select All Control Panel Items.

Open Devices and Printers.

At the top of the window, select Add a Printer.

Select Add a Local Printer.

In Choose a Printer Port, select Use an existing port.

In the drop down menu, select the USB001(Virtual Printer Port for USB).

Select the Next Button.

In the Manufacturers section, select HP.

In the Printers section, look for your printer model and select it.

Note: If your printer does not appear in the HP list, select the nearest LaserJet series model number.

Click the Windows Update Button. WU will search the driver database for all HP printers.

Note: The search may take some time, be patient.

When the search is complete, go back to the HP section and your printer should now appear there. Select it and click the Next Button.

Your printer will appear in the printer name box, click Next again and the printer will be installed.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Thursday, June 04, 2009 9:12 AM
  • Thanks for getting back to me on this Ronnie.

I'll admit that I don't understand your answer at all. :-)

How would the "USB001 (Virtual Port for USB) entry" specify which device to send the output to? I mean, if there is no USB-connected printer or two or more USB devices, how would this bind the print queue to the right device?

I already did as you suggested. (See point 3) The machine seemed quite happy to then let me pick a completely random incorrect (higher-level) printer driver by model. I waited for an eternity (with no UI feedback! looked as if it had simply hung), so long in fact that the first time I did indeed assume it was hung and had to kill it (no "cancel" in the UI either). Some hours later I attempted it again, and went away and left it only to notice later on that windows update had filled out the list of models greatly. Some of the model names were duplicates [!!] with no way to find out which to pick, and I assumed that these were drivers of different vintages or MS vs HP drivers. I picked one of the duplicates for that model (at random). So I then had a driver of unknown origin with a description that matched the right model, but one that was bound to who-knew-what hardware. Not surprisingly, printing anything at all silently completed instantly with no error, but no output.

The UI concerning printing is a total mess in Windows 7, as in earlier versions of Windows. Printing in Windows is a complete disgrace, and MS should be very very ashamed. This clearly isn't fit to be a beta let alone an RC.

It seems there's no way to perform a "scan" (as in device manager where the user can force detection of new hardware). In this case, I was physically 30 miles away from the machine in question and was logged in to it remotely via MSTSC/RDP. So I couldn't physically unplug/replug USB cables, but it seems that physical intervention is the only way to force the detection of USB-connected "devices"?

I still have no idea what it means for a user to be able to add a "named" "local port" object. It seems to be possible for this to match (i) a UNC (ii) an old fashioned DOS-type device name? (iii) other names from different namespaces. There's no help in the UI, no validation, and no visible way of binding the names to anything real.

Am I completely going mad? :-)
    Cecil Ward
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:27 PM
  • Hi Ronnie,
    I'm running into the same problem where it is not discovering the USB port. It finds the device, a Lexmark X3650 USB Printer/Scanner and when using the Lexmark Install Disk, it will get to the step of plugging in your device (USB) but it never recognizes the port.  Win7(RC) uses the cable, finds the device, pulls info and even recognizes the fax, scanner and printer as seperate devices and adds them to my device list, but defaults the port used to LPT1, which isn't there.
    I tried to remove the device (the printer) and manually add it. But in the list of existing ports I have LPT1-3 Printer, COM1-4 Serial, FILE:Print to File, Lexmark Fax, and XPSPort(LocalPort). I had about the same luck as Cecil creating a new port, so any other ideas?
    Thank you much,
    Jixron
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:20 AM
  • One of the core issue here, aside from possible bugs, is that the UI _simply does not make sense_. And never has done. It's a complete and utter mess. There is no indication of the permitted syntax for "port names" might be (whatever they might be). It seems to be some kind of unholy mixture of names of real things that are present in the system and a space of names for things to be created by the user. If this is correct, then we have a situation like that in DOS where file names could potentially clash with reserved names such as lpt1 con or nul.

It's now presumably been left too late to fix the printing UI in Win7 so that it is documented, predictable and comprehensible, but leaving UI issues aside, correct detection with sane, "just works" printing and the blocking/blacklisting of TOXIC driver components should be the most important items on the Win7 hit list and a defect in this area should count a show-stopping issue. Printing in Vista was an international disgrace and one that was wholly avoidable, and it is extremely urgent that the shambles not be permitted to continue in Win7. What in the name of all that's holy have the printing team been doing, working hard over the last seven years to turn that which used to at work reasonably well in Win2k/Xp into a multi-million dollar global fiasco. The current writer has spent the equivalent of two full weeks this year so far, trying to debug problems caused by toxic drivers and post-driver-installation damage in Vista and WinXp boxes. Time for Microsoft to get first ashamed then serious about printing.

What we need urgently are the following deliverables:
    (i)  a fix (or post RTM hotfix) for hardware non-detection,
    (ii)  comprehensive print-subsystem repair tool (return to complete factory defaults with restoration of damaged or deleted _components_),
    (iii) an add-on that scans for known badly-behaved 'toxic' third party components,
    (iv) an add-on that blacklists such toxic third party components, shuts them down, and informs the user,
    (v)  a tool that displays comprehensive analysis info of printing related components with output in ENGLISH (or other mortal-readable form),
    (vi) a test tool that prints a test document and analyses failures in detail.

These should be planned as an urgent project to be delivered in stages the autumn, even if the first versions are fairly rough and ready.

Cecil Ward

Wednesday, July 01, 2009 11:22 AM
  • I can imagine that MS Windows team have their hands full at the moment. Would someone in the team consider adding a post with links to reading material? The problem here is that I (and clearly others) simply don't have a clue how this is _supposed_ to work (don't know "what success looks like"). For instance, I have no idea what is supposed to happen if (i) the user has say two usb-connected printers, or if (ii) the user deletes the virtual printer port USB001 object or if (iii) the user creates a named "local port" object with a random, made-up name. Any clarification much appreciated.
    Cecil Ward
    Monday, August 10, 2009 8:31 AM
  • Thanks for the instructions on how to add a local usb printer.

I was having trouble with the printer driver provided by microsoft for my hp psc1210 - it wouldn't print on legal size paper, the image would cut off to letter size.

So i used your instructions to add the next level driver hp psc1300 (which came with the system, i didn't search WU, to my existing configuguration. Now i have 2 printers in my drop down print box psc1200 & psc1300 (only the 1300 shows up under devices and printers, but both are available to programs)

I am now able to print full legal size from publisher 2007 for my church bulletin! thanks.
    scanner and everything seems to work fine.

- regards
    Monday, September 21, 2009 12:33 AM
  • I had the same problem with a Canon ip4300 USB printer and a German Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit. As soon as I would connect the printer via USB (after installing the 64-bit Vista driver from the Canon page) Windows would tell me that it did not recognize the USB device.

Guess what, Windows was not able to install the USB-Printer Port due to missing rights. When I disabled the UAC and rebootet the PC, the USB printer port was installed once the printer was connected.

After that I enabled UAC again and rebootet. Now the printer is working, no matter which USB-Port it is connected to.

Hope this helps

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:29 PM
  • Will perhaps have to wait for Windows 8 for a print UI that makes sense, and self-diagnosing and self-healing components. Printing is not rocket science, but over the last decade things have simply got worse and worse. The complexity of it all is simply mind-blowing and completely unnecessary. All this stuff has to do is throw bytes at a printer, the correct bytes would be nice, and not allow any possibility at all that any of this can kill the system or make it in any way ill. It's unbelievable that there is absolutely no (visible) diagnostic capability built in to these subsystems. Stuff simply dies or silently fails to print or fails to print with a meaningless error. Printing seems quite happy to give no information when printers are off/dead/wrong model/simply non-existent or on a different LAN that is 500 miles away from here.

Printing is a shambles in Windows and has been getting worse not better. MS need to look at it from a point of view that matches their users' wholly reasonable expectations, (i) printing simply works, 100% of the time, no exceptions; (ii) it's comprehensible and real problems are diagnosed in full every time,  and ask themselves what has to be done from a design point of view to get there, fast, regardless of the pain. It's now probably too far gone to salvage from a 'design' point of view, and a complete fresh start might be the only way out.
    Cecil Ward
    Monday, October 26, 2009 8:58 PM
  • My winodws 7 Pro 64-bit OS does not show USB001 port when adding USB printer.
    Monday, February 01, 2010 7:25 PM
  • Update. I've just spent £200 of my own money on MS chargeable tech support to attempt to resolve damaged-o/s-wont-print-via-USB issues. (Win7 Pro x64 box.) MS staff worked valiantly but hopelessly on this, and failed, and took my money to waste a day for which I didn't get paid and after which I have no solution. MS staff who are tried their hearts out simply didn't have a chance as they had neither the tools nor documententation needed to give them the deep understanding needed.

One further suggestion is that MS need to supply a "blitz" MSI file for each o/s, which completely reinstalls the entire print subsystem from scratch and nukes whatever is there already, so cleaning out everything, making sure that anything unnecessary is deleted (not just not referenced), making sure that all required base components are present and dependencies are all good, in short, guaranteeing to put the entire printing subsystem and usb-printing-related subcomponents in a known state with 100% certainty. This would be in the UI similar to the add/remove windows features items, with a "repair" option.

Microsoft's customers need to start making their voices heard and demand a step change in quality, and this to be part delivered before the next Windows release.
    Cecil Ward
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 10:27 AM
  • I have just upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 7 (clean install).  My faithful usb printer (Samsung ML-1710) which worked fine with XP and Vista is not detected by windows 7.  I can't go around the non-detection because the add a printer does not include the USB port provided in XP and Vista.  I hate to say it but it appears that usb printing in windows 7 is broken?
    Monday, April 26, 2010 4:37 PM
  • did you try disabling UAC as I mentioned above ?

Do not forget to re-enable UAC after you installed the printer.

----

I had the same problem with a Canon ip4300 USB printer and a German Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit. As soon as I would connect the printer via USB (after installing the 64-bit Vista driver from the Canon page) Windows would tell me that it did not recognize the USB device.

Guess what, Windows was not able to install the USB-Printer Port due to missing rights. When I disabled the UAC and rebootet the PC, the USB printer port was installed once the printer was connected.

After that I enabled UAC again and rebootet. Now the printer is working, no matter which USB-Port it is connected to.

Hope this helps

Monday, April 26, 2010 5:20 PM
  • For those of us who are less sophisticated what is the UAC on Windows 7

Thanks,

Tom

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 2:03 PM
  • Sorry, UAC is the User Account Control. It's the mechanism that darkens the screens and issues a security warning if the user tries to install software or tries to change system settings. It was introduced in Windows Vista.
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010 5:49 PM
  • funny I have this same problem....and Ronnie says to choose USB001 (virtual printer port for USB)

Yet my options only have USB002 and USB003

WTF?

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:44 AM
  • Well, I have disabled UAC and I still don't see ANY USB ports to use in the Add a Printer wizard.  When I connect my printer with a USB cable it defaults to LPT1 and then cannot print.  Can anyone offer another explanation as to why MS had hidden all of the USB printer ports, or how to get them back?

I am frustrated beyond words.

Friday, August 20, 2010 4:07 PM
  • I guess you don't know what's in the Windows 7 that is actually shipping out to customers.  There is NOT a port available called "USB001(Virtual Printer Port for USB)"   If it were there, we wouldn't have a problem!
    Friday, August 20, 2010 4:32 PM
  • Mr. Ward,

You describe the problem perfectly. Thank you for your wit and humor in your text, it relieves a lot of the frustration when dealing with this abominable printing system/UI. Alas, it appears no one has found a solution.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on a Dell Studio XPS 16 and trying hopelessly to install a Brother DCP-6690CW, I've RTFM and crawled forum upon forum to no avail.

Wasting time and wasting money. On occasion I vent frustration by watching this classic clip from the film "Office Space": http://vimeo.com/5944863

I guess it's time to start contacting Brother and/or MS personally...

-Billy Bones

• Proposed as answer by LAN Dogs Wednesday, October 27, 2010 9:32 PM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 11:50 AM
  • I have had some success...

My setup

1) I am using 4 PC's on a home network (Homegroup). We are splitting our Cable interweb via a netgear router (any brand would work). Two Win 7 pro desktops, one Win 7 laptop and one Win 7 Netbook. My printer is a Samsung 2525w with wireless capabilities.

The printer ran via CAT5e (ethernet cable) to my router. When it's turned on the router assigns it a IP via DHCP (for you fat brains our there, it subnets the IP provided from my ISP).

When installing, I simply search for a network printer, it finds it and the "port" is an IP address. I installed the drivers (after doing a windows update) and viola! Printing.

Steps:

1) Boot PC, connect both PC and Printer to router via network cable. It's ok if the router is already on, just make sure the printer is off until it's plugged into the router.

2) Start, devices and printers,  add a "Network, wireless or bluetooth printer"

3) After it searches and finds it (shows the printer and IP address, click next

4) Click windows update, then wait (you can use the drivers on teh CD but it's always easier to get updates)

5) Select as normal and it will bring a share box, select your option

6) complete and print a test page, close and finish

7) paypal me $5

www.landogs.com

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 9:32 PM
  • I just figured it out today on a new Dell windows 7 pc trying to print to a local hp laserjet 2300.

1) Windows updates are now configured as a default (at least I found on this PC) to NOT download drivers.

2) hook the printer up to the PC and let it error out in the printers group.

3) Go to windows updates - configure windows updates to SHOW you the updates - not download them and install them.

4) Go to the OPTIONAL updates and the driver for the errored out printer will be there.

Take all the check marks off for updates you do not want. I just downloaded the driver locally to the c: drive. Then I took out the USB cable to the PC. Reboot the PC. Plug the USB printer cable back in and you are finished. USB001 port is there but not visible until needed when starting

... Perry

Saturday, January 08, 2011 12:25 AM
  • Will perhaps have to wait for Windows 8 for a print UI that makes sense, and self-diagnosing and self-healing components. Printing is not rocket science, but over the last decade things have simply got worse and worse. The complexity of it all is simply mind-blowing and completely unnecessary. All this stuff has to do is throw bytes at a printer, the correct bytes would be nice, and not allow any possibility at all that any of this can kill the system or make it in any way ill. It's unbelievable that there is absolutely no (visible) diagnostic capability built in to these subsystems. Stuff simply dies or silently fails to print or fails to print with a meaningless error. Printing seems quite happy to give no information when printers are off/dead/wrong model/simply non-existent or on a different LAN that is 500 miles away from here.

Printing is a shambles in Windows and has been getting worse not better. MS need to look at it from a point of view that matches their users' wholly reasonable expectations, (i) printing simply works, 100% of the time, no exceptions; (ii) it's comprehensible and real problems are diagnosed in full every time,  and ask themselves what has to be done from a design point of view to get there, fast, regardless of the pain. It's now probably too far gone to salvage from a 'design' point of view, and a complete fresh start might be the only way out.
    Cecil Ward

Friday, February 18, 2011 2:20 AM
  • I have been able to install my HP CM1015 USB printer on Windows 7 following the explanation of Ronnie above.

As a result I have 2 printers in my device list (one installed through the "add a printer" method and working; the other auto-installed whenever the printer USB is connected to my laptop but not working). It's true that it's not self-explanatory at all and I've been searching on the install for a while now.

But at least with this method, I have a printer installed and it prints...

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:38 PM
  • Thank you so much for your info, it solved my problem right away.
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 5:41 AM
  • Amazing! Thanks! You just saved my day (my night actually).

Hit the Windows button. Type UAC and it will find the UAC in the control panel.

Disable UAC and reboot.

Did not even have to unplug + plug the printer, but that might be necessary.

Enable UAC and reboot.

Thanks again

Søren

Monday, August 08, 2011 6:46 AM
  • Just see is there any pending installation is going on for that particular printer in Device and Printer section third row, if yes it will take 30 to 60 minutes to complete the  installation of that printer.
    Puthur
    Friday, August 19, 2011 12:18 PM
  • i am having a similar problem, when adding a printer as you suggested there is no usb port in the drop down list, how can i re add them?
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 3:55 PM
  • I'm having a similar problem.

My new Dell XPS 15 won't do anything when I plug in the Canon MP180 into the USB port.

It doesn't seem to 'see' the printer regardless of the USB I connect it to.

I've turned off UAC but do not see the 'USB0001' port either.

Any help appreciated!!

• Proposed as answer by dwg25 Sunday, March 18, 2012 2:44 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by dwg25 Sunday, March 18, 2012 2:47 AM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:57 PM
  • Olly_Cologne, you are my hero (at least for today).  I just finished setting up a Color Laserjet CP2025 for a customer, thanks to your GENIUS idea of disabling UAC (which I despise anyway). She had a Color LJ3600n before which, like the CP2025 would install seamlessly on her XP machine (we use 2 networks here), but on her 64-bit Win7 machine, no go.  In searching the web, I found that there is no Win7 driver for the 3600.  So the company buys the new CP2025 and I find the same result in Win7 as with the 3600!  Then I found your post, disabled UAC, rebooted, powered up the printer, and Win7 installed the driver without even using the CD!!!  Hallelujah!  Now I'm gonna connect the 3600 to a different Win7 machine, disable UAC, and see if it works.  I'll let ya know.....

-J

Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:54 AM
  • Okay, so I ran into same problem, and came up with a different solution, by accident.

I connected my printer directly to my laptop and it would not recognize it. 

Then I connected the printer cord to my USB hub, which is already connected to my laptop, and now my laptop recognizes the printer!

• Proposed as answer by dwg25 Sunday, March 18, 2012 2:47 AM
    Sunday, March 18, 2012 2:47 AM
  • Me too.  I disabled UAC and cannot see the usb001 port.  When I try to choose the printer from Windows update it tells me it is unable to get a list of devices. I have downloaded the drivers which should be compatible with win 7 directly from the Canon website.  I have a Canon mf 4570.  I removed all other printers from the device list.  What else can I do?  

Ellen 

• Proposed as answer by Sanles Sunday, July 15, 2012 6:49 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Sanles Sunday, July 15, 2012 6:51 AM
    Monday, April 30, 2012 7:17 PM
  • How I Updated and installed Drivers for Canon ip1800 on Win7 Home.

I upgraded from XP to win7 and had printer problems. I was unable to delete the old drivers in Device Manager because none were listed. I was unable to update my Drivers through Add Printer Drivers Wizard in Pinter Properties Advanced tab because it ‘unable to find a list of Windows devices check later’. 

So I went to Canon website and found ‘Printer Driver Add-on Module’ and ‘My Printer  version..’  I was unable to download and run the Driver because ‘printer could not be detected, cancel this program and check printer is connected and turned on then re-execute this program’. I solved this problem by saving both files to my desktop.

I then went into Control Panel >Programs>uninstall and selected Canon ip 1800 series. A message came up do I want to uninstall the Canon 1800 Driver, I said yes. Then I closed out of everything and turned off my printer. When I turned it on it I was informed that drivers were being installed. Good. Then I right clicked my Driver file on the desktop and selected ‘Run as Administrator’, it came up and run through  perfectly without telling me my printer could not be found. So I thought why not run the other file as administrator as well and after I did this a Printer assistant opened up and offered me some choices so I selected Troubleshoot, Diagnosis and Repair. It ran through and came up with a Printer Port problem and asked if I wanted it repaired. I clicked ok. It gave me a test page report with the repair ‘repaired’.

It all sounds easy? Not really, a day and a half searching the internet for solutions. The funny thing is I still have the original problem but I have that narrowed down to streaking and a good clean.

I hope this helps someone else because of all the problems I came across  including researching that I had the right Ports and that the physical connections were all OK, not to mention everthing listed above.

Sunday, July 15, 2012 6:56 AM
  • THANK YOU RONNIE!

Followed the steps and my beloved Brother H-14735 is now up and running.  Should be good for another seven years or so.

: )
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 5:17 PM
  • I love you men who help out us women.  This is a perfect explanation and it worked wonderfully.  THANK YOU RONNIE!  You make me feel smart. :)  I just installed a printer which was refurbished with no manual, drivers, etc. and just bought a new desktop 2012 and do not know in ins and outs yet of all this technical stuff.  Much thanks!
    Friday, October 19, 2012 5:03 PM
  • Thank You very Much Mr. Ronnie Vernon MVP for solving this critical issue with a simple solution. I was trying to solve this issue  from the last 15 days but Thank god Found your answer to solve this Problem

Once again Thank you

Regards

Zubayr

Saturday, December 15, 2012 11:22 AM
  • (Before connecting a printer, make a list of the existing USB ports in the list. You do not want to use a port for another device or printer.)

Note that Ronnie's step "In the drop down menu, select the USB001(Virtual Printer Port for USB)." may not show a USB port until the USB printer is directly connected to the laptop. Turn on the printer.

W7 should detect it, if not, try rebooting with the printer on & connected directly to the computer. Do not use a hub or a dock. Pick the highest numbered USB port not used by another device/printer.

If that still fails (USB port doesn't show), use Add Printer and pick any port (I usually use LPT1) then if the driver isn't in the list (there are >1600 W7 natively installed printers - ie, they come with W7, and they do NOT need admin to install). In any case, if it isn't in the native W7 list then do a Windoze Update. To do anything with a non-native W7 printer you will need admin when the UAC appears. I have NEVER had to disable UAC to install hundreds of printers on corporate computers (non-admin users), but I am an admin for such installs).

Once you have the driver downloaded via WU or a CD, etc, complete the install. If it's a USB printer and you did not install to the right USB port (you picked LPT1 or XPS, etc) then it won't print.

If it won't print try power off/on the printer to make Windoze try to detect the port. Or reboot with the printer on and connected. (You should see a message about it being detected.)

If it won't print (installed to wrong/non-USB port), you may have to right-click the printer in the control panel and select "Printer properties". NOT Properties and not "Printing preferences". Go to the Ports tab and pick the correct port (the highest numbered USB which wasn't there before the printer was connected). Go back to the General tab and try printing a test page.

If you want a list of the native W7 printers, I can email it to you as I haven't found anywhere to post it and no-one has asked for the list, unless I create a web site, but I don't really have the time. Just reply to this post.

• Edited by PAReinie Monday, March 24, 2014 4:16 PM typo
    Monday, March 24, 2014 3:52 PM
  • Cecil, the matching/binding to the correct port is by right-clicking the printer in the list and selecting "Printer properties". NOT Properties and not "Printing preferences". Go to the Ports tab and pick the correct port (the highest numbered USB which wasn't there before the printer was connected). Go back to the General tab and try printing a test page.
    Monday, March 24, 2014 3:56 PM
  • Be aware that if you install to a particular IP address that if the router is rebooted (usually shut down for a while, or replaced) the printer may be assigned a different IP address unless you "nail" it (the printer's MAC) in the router setup to a particular IP.

Or, if you can find the network name of the printer, which should be listed in the printer's configuration page, if your printer is capable of printing that out, use \\computer-name\printerName, where printerName comes from the config page commonly "network name".

Monday, March 24, 2014 4:13 PM
  • lynn.. did you ever get an answer to how to get the "usb virtual' on the drop down list. been working on this for weeks with not solution. pls advise
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 12:13 AM
  • Here is a solution that worked for me, after days of head-banging:

1.Plug in your printer in a USB port

2.Wait until it is detected as "Unknown device"

3.Open the Device manager

4.Go to Universal Serial Bus Controllers

5.You will see a list of serveral "USB Root Hub"

6.Click on each one -> Tab "Power" and find the Hub with the 
    "Unknown device"

7.Right click on that USB Root Hub -> Uninstall

After that , Windows should re-install that hub and all usb devices on it, and detect your printer!

Good luck!

• Proposed as answer by cisz Tuesday, June 10, 2014 9:39 AM
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 11:14 AM
  • Here is a solution that worked for me, after days of head-banging:

1.Plug in your printer in a USB port

2.Wait until it is detected as "Unknown device"

3.Open the Device manager

4.Go to Universal Serial Bus Controllers

5.You will see a list of serveral "USB Root Hub"

6.Click on each one -> Tab "Power" and find the Hub with the 
    "Unknown device"

7.Right click on that USB Root Hub -> Uninstall

After that , Windows should re-install that hub and all usb devices on it, and detect your printer!

Good luck!

This was the only method that pretty much functioned for me.

I did have some problems: the device manager USB Root Hub listed the "Unknown device" in the main list. I uninstalled it but after several hours windows didn't seem to find the right usb device to reinstall. Then I tried right clicking on each root hub device that was only listed as "USB Root Hub". (The others listed as e.g. "usb enhanced host controller", didn't have the "Power" tab.) I clicked on each "Power" tab until I found one that had a listing of "Unknown device". I went back to the main list and uninstalled the one that "Unknown device" listed in the "Power" tab and then it replaced it right away with  "USB Printing Support". 

Note: I had earlier installed the printer on LPT1 since there were no USB ports listed.

I then deleted the LPT1 printer and unplugged the USB printer cable. When I plugged the USB printer cable back in, windows (vista business) found the printer on the USB port and I was able to print a test page.

Thanks to Brysnaria.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 9:55 AM