none
Headphone jack doesn't work since upgrade to Windows 7

Question

• Hello-
    I have a Dell XPS 410 and just upgraded to Windows 7.  While the speakers plugged in to the back of the computer work fine, the headphone jack does not work anymore.  The external speakers still keep playing when the headphones are plugged in.  The USB ports right next to the jack work fine.  The sound card is "Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio" and Device Manager says the "High Definition Audio Device" is working properly.  Any suggestions?
    Thank you.
    Friday, January 08, 2010 12:36 AM

Answers

• Hi mhjohnso,

Please plug the headphone to the jack and then right click on the volume icon in the system tray, click "Playback devices". Does the headphone displayed as enabled in the Playback device list? If so, you can set it to "Default" while using it.

However, if the headphone is not listed, it is possible the headphone jack is damaged or the sound card driver is not fully compatible with Windows 7. Please upgrade the sound card driver to the latest one and see if the issue can be resolved.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by mhjohnso Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:49 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:20 AM

All replies

• Also, other headphones do not work, and these headphones work fine in other computers.  Jack worked today before upgrade. 

Friday, January 08, 2010 1:09 AM
  • Thank you for the reply.  The headphone jack worked perfectly this morning, then I installed Windows 7 (previously XP).  Now the external speakers that are plugged into the back of the machine work fine, but when I plug in the headphones to the jack in the front of the computer, the music still comes through the speakers, and nothing comes through the headphones.  Same jack as this morning, no hardware changed or upgraded.  It is possible the jack died in the two hour interim, but it seems more likely it is a driver problem.  Since the sound card says it is working properly and the external speakers work fine, I'm not sure how to fix it.  Is there a separate driver for the headphone jack?  I don't have a microphone to test out if that jack works, but the USB ports next to the headphone jack work fine. 

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Friday, January 08, 2010 6:48 AM
  • There are several ways to do this.  Right Click the volume icon and playback devices; select the headset or in CP sound manager and/or Realtek HD Audio Manager and you can switch between speakers and headphones by changing the default as well as some other interesting settings.  I haven't tried to get both to work at the same time.  I thought there was a setting somewhere that detected when the headphones were plugged in and switched auto but haven't done any research on that.  Meanwhile that should work.
    kevin
    ASUS P5Q PRO Intel Q6600 Core2 Quad CPU 4GB Corsair RAM Dual Nvidia 8800GTS Video Win Vista/Win7b 64bit Dual Boot
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 4:48 PM
  • Hi mhjohnso,

Please plug the headphone to the jack and then right click on the volume icon in the system tray, click "Playback devices". Does the headphone displayed as enabled in the Playback device list? If so, you can set it to "Default" while using it.

However, if the headphone is not listed, it is possible the headphone jack is damaged or the sound card driver is not fully compatible with Windows 7. Please upgrade the sound card driver to the latest one and see if the issue can be resolved.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by mhjohnso Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:49 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:20 AM
  • Things have now gone from slightly annoying to a problem.  I tried installing the sound card driver from the Dell site, and now the computer no longer recognizes the sound card.  So instead of just not having a working headphone jack, I no longer have a working sound card.  Any suggestions to how to get back to at least being able to use speakers?
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:23 PM
  • The sound card is not listed under Device Manger, but it comes up under "Other devices" as "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus." An attempt to update the driver automatically (search online) finds nothing.   When I attempt to install the sound card drivers from dell using the "setup.exe" file, I get the error "Setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system.  Please ensure that your product is properly installed before running this setup program.  Setup will exit." 
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:30 PM
  • Success!  Thank you Linda Yan.  I restarted and tried the original driver from dell again, and now both speakers and headphones are working.  Thank you for your help!

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:49 PM
  • Glad to hear my suggestions helped. :-)
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 2:02 AM
  • hi mhjohnso

same thing happened with me ...then i again istalled XP then headphone worked  properly .NOW i have installed windows 7 in seperate drive and both the operating systems are working properly on single system but only one at a time ..,with booting manager(at start) giving option which OS to run.but the main thing is headphone is not working when i m running windows 7. please reply.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:33 PM
  • Hi I have a dell XPS 410 and just upgraded to Windows 7. while the speakers plugged in to the back of the computer work fine,the headphone jack dose not work

anymore. can you try to helpe me?Thank you 

Friday, September 24, 2010 2:48 PM
  • I've been waiting for someone to respond with an adequate fix for this for 3 months now on any forum.  It's not an isolated issue since every person that was running on an XPS gets this problem.  This is just conveniently a model that was elected not to be supported for Windows 7.  I'll sum up the suggestions I've seen: plug in the jack and play with sound playback devices, update drivers, change the AC'97 from HD, maybe the jack is broken

The jack isn't broken.  The headphone jack isn't a USB, and there's nothing wrong with the front USB ports. Any mention of USB headphones is just avoiding the problem.

Plugging anything into the front headphone jack results in no reaction from the computer.  Sound is still directed through whatever is in the back.  The front headphone jack does not exist in the playback devices - even if the option to "show disconnected/disabled devices" is toggled.

In my case, bios doesn't display any AC'97 or HD options.. or even "advanced" options as was suggested.  Drivers don't install because of the "64-bit" incompatibility.  Note: when I say "drivers don't install" - I looked up the drivers that the XPS 410 originally used, then downloaded them.  They won't install.

Apart from all that, the only thing that I can think to do is either A: find a driver that WILL install on there, or B: patch some sort of workaround to what it's already using.  As a bonus mystery, this stock sound card has no name as far as my computer is concerned.  It is solely called "High Definition Audio Device."

Surely someone out there has figured out a workaround for this by now, right?

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 8:54 AM
  • I'm having the exact same issues. My rear audio jack works just fine. I can plug my headset into it and I can hear sound through  my headset, or I can plug my speakers in and they work just fine. My speakers work in my front audio jack, but my headset for some reason doesn't. So in order for me to hear sound, I'm going to have to plug my headset into the back of my computer permanently, my speakers into the front of my computer permanently (which means I can't close my case), and I'm going to have to toggle between them on my sound manager.

Apparently a ton of people have the same issues. Here are some other forums on the topic.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/109130-windows-wont-detect-headphones-device.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/31038-front-panel-headphone-jack-problems.html

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-55303-no-sound-from-my-laptop-headphone-jack

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/2324-headphones-dont-work.html

Hopefully Microsoft will come up with a simple solution to this soon. This is really annoying for us gamers.

Friday, October 29, 2010 8:02 PM
  • Guys I somewhat have the same problem. The only difference is that when i connect my headphone through the jack  i hear the sound on my laptop speakers as well as the headphones. i tried to set the headphones as default but when i click on playback devices it only shows my speakers and not the headset.....

This is really wired.  Please someone give me a solution.

Saturday, October 30, 2010 7:57 PM
  • Nothing's wrong with the hardware and why on earth have jack-plug on your year old laptop if I can't use them. Windows 7 just isn't up for the task. I mean, come on, can't support a simple headset?! Glad I have a MacBook Pro lying around, which doesn't give me those problems. Monday morning our IT-department will have my Dell D630 with Windows 7 on their desk. Go fix it.

Bad experience that will be hard to erase.

• Proposed as answer by 303-Imp Tuesday, March 29, 2011 1:17 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by 303-Imp Tuesday, March 29, 2011 1:17 AM
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 10:46 AM
  • The basic problem appears to be with the Windows 7 x64 bit opsyst not being able to handle both rear speaker and front headphones being connected at the same time. My system fails to notice the front headphones at all. And there appears to be no way to switch between the two.

Funny thing is that the headphones work fine if plugged in by themselves.

This is a very annoying problem - annoying enough to change back to Windows 7 32 bit op sys or even return to Windows XP.

I'll miss some of the bells and whistles but I really am begining to believe not all the bugs have been worked out in the x64 bit version yet.

Sorry to vent but Windows 7 x64 has been touted long and hard as the greatest ever op sys and it may eventually live up to that billing but it there yet ...

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 1:25 AM
  • Problem also exist for Win7-32 on my Dell D630.  Headset speaker works but headset mic mic does not, built-in mic is used resulting in speaker phone sound.  I'll try the USB headset workaround.  
    Monday, May 02, 2011 10:59 AM
  • I assume your system has been working before. I wonder if the jack is damaged. These things do break.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

Server: ASRock P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 8600GT, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    The jack is not broken because i have a brand new computer and it has the same problem, i just got a brand new headset, and when i plug it in, it says that it's plugged in and it says the mic and sound is working, but i cant hear anything at all, why??
    Friday, September 30, 2011 3:35 AM
  • Try installing latest Realtek sound driver(2.66) from www.filehippo.com,

then open realtek, go to the yellow flag on the top right side of realtek window.

there you will see a setting for enabling front panel 3.5mm audio jack & mic.

both rear & front panels will work.

100% working........ :)

Sunday, December 11, 2011 1:02 PM
  • I installed the 2.67 driver from Realtek on filehippo as joyruskin suggested (2.66 was no longer available) and as soon as I restarted the laptop the problem was solved. Thanks!
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 6:15 AM
  • What if i wan't to play both devices simultaneously. i can play them alternately by switching the default device...

any idea to play both, my speaker n head phone, together would be appereciated

Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:31 PM
  • or it just could be that u guys have it disable  so just plug the headphones and  right click on the volume icon in the system tray, click "Playback devices" if the headphones are not listed  just right click on the ones listed or wherever on te tab and  it will give the option to show disable devices so click on it and than enable it :)
    • Edited by mike gg Thursday, April 26, 2012 10:57 PM
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 10:57 PM
  • Hello,

I faced the same issue, i had formatted C: drive and then re-installed Win 7. And since then the audio was not coming through connected speakers. I spent days behind fixing the issue, tried installing drivers but nothing worked out.

Until today, i uninstalled the sound drivers and restarted the machine. Upon restart you will get a pop up for drivers failure for "Multimedia Audio Controller". Once you get here click on the link right below the error which would give you 2 options viz. 1. Search drivers auto from Windows Update   2. Manually.

Make sure 1st option is selected, once this is selected "Windows Update" will check automatically the best sound drivers for your system.

And this should just fix the needful, it worked for me.

Hope this helps !!

Many Thanks & Regards,
    Mehul
    Sunday, May 20, 2012 9:40 AM
  • I feel the same way.  No one can give me an answer that works.  Every supposed solution here there everywhere and the generic directions never work.   I've installed realtek drivers, driver update programs like driver max,  posted computer device reports to forums to tech heads etc.

typical responses like "http://softwarebuzzer.com/2012/03/windows-8-headphone-problem-solved" blah... where do you get that software in the screenshot, never shows up!

giving up.

Saturday, June 16, 2012 4:11 PM
  • I have a Lenovo Y510 and had the same issue where I had to switch the default device between the Headphone and the laptop ever since I had upgraded to Windows 7. I could not find the correct set of drivers initially at the lenovo support site and had to rely on the default microsoft drivers. Then I installed the Realtek 2.70 drivers for 32bit Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 (Driver only) executable available at http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

This resolved my issue and now I don't have to switch between the device drivers. Hope this helps someone. 

Thursday, August 09, 2012 2:54 AM