none
Thumbnails not working in windows 7 and windows 7 RC

Question

• When I used to view my security camera video card in Vista I would get a thumbnail view of each 10 second video produced.. This made it easy to skip through each video produced and pick out the ones that I thought would be best to check. This would be watched after about a week or so of videos. Now in Windows 7 and windows 7 RC I cannot seem to find this thumbnail view. All I can see is the media player film type .AVI icon for each video. Is there any way of turning the thumbnail function back on. I have tried all the registry fix changes that have been suggested and they don't work. I have downloaded different codec programs and they don't work. The icon/thumbnail box is unchecked in folder views and that doesn't work. Is there an answer to my problem. Does any one know if Microsoft are working on a change to get thumbnails to work with .AVI files. Hope you can help.
    • Edited by Rogermerlin Tuesday, February 09, 2010 8:24 PM
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 3:18 PM

All replies

• When I used to view my security camera video card in Vista I would get a thumbnail view of each 10 second video produced.. This made it easy to skip through each video produced and pick out the ones that I thought would be best to check. This would be watched after about a week or so of videos. Now in Windows 7 and windows 7 RC I cannot seem to find this thumbnail view. All I can see is the media player film type icon for each video. Is there any way of turning the thumbnail function back on. Hope you can help.

Hey Rogermerlin, this is pretty easy to get back for you. What you're going to want to do is open up the Windows Explorer , once that is open click on the down arrow next to Organize, which is located under the Back and Forward navigation buttons. A drop down menu will pop up, select Folder and search options, once that is up, under the View tab, you want to uncheck the first option which reads "Always show icons, never thumbnails". Let us know if this is what you were looking for.
    • Proposed as answer by joepitt91 Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:49 AM
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 8:17 PM
  • Thanks but no. I have already checked all that and it is set to what you say. I have tried making the amount of video files less in each folder but still the same. I have tried copying them to the desktop but still the same. I have viewed other video files from my usb hard drive and they are o.k. (viewed as thumbnails). The files from the camera when viewed have AVI written on them and look like a piece of film strip. I have had no problem when I was using Vista. Only since trying Windows 7 and windows 7rc. If I change the camera over to take stills instead of videos then the stills are shown from the SD card as thumbnails. Very puzzleing indeed. Don't know whether you can come up with another possible solution but I hope you can.
    • Proposed as answer by Squirtl Monday, September 23, 2013 4:30 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Squirtl Monday, September 23, 2013 4:30 PM
    Friday, May 22, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Are you using Windows 7 RC 32-bit or 64-bit? It seems other people have this problem with the 64-bit version of Windows Explorer and some can solve it by using the 32-bit version. Have you downloaded any additional codec packs on your computer? Do you know what codec the recorded AVIs are?

-Nick

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 5:36 PM
  • Hi,

Having similar if not same problem.  Actually working with two systems, one is a dual boot (32-bit / 64-bit Windows 7) while the other is 64-bit.  The dual boot is running Build 7100, while the other was running 7100 but have since rebuilt with 7229 to see if that helped resolve the problem.

Initially none of the systems would show tumbnails for most file extensions (including MPG, MOV, MKV and a large number of AVIs - roughlyt half the AVISs would display) Installing the Shark007 codec pack (version 1.2 & 64-bit extensions 2.0) and the systems started showing almost ll the AVI files - turned out the ones which didn't show were actucally 'renamed' MKV's.

Renaming the MOV files with the MPG extension results in these files displaying thumbnails properly.  The same trick does not work with MP4 or MKV files.

In the case of MP4 files - all display fine on the 32-bit version, but only a few of them display thumbnails on the 64 bit system.  No MKV file displays thumbnails on any of the systems. 

All MP4 play fine & all were encoded using the same encoder settings.

The one 'clean' (i.e. no codecs installed) 64-bit still doesn't show most of the files so the codec pack definately helped, but not resolved the problem.

Any suggestions?
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 1:49 PM
  • I have a similar problem. The thumbnails appear longer I do not know specifically when. I suspect that after the uninstall of Nero 7.5. When I put the Media Player Classic as default then the preview pane will no longer work. Restoring the Windows Media Player as the default preview pane back to work, but not the thumbnails.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:07 AM
  • Forgot to say something that might be important. The thumbnails work in safe mode.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:24 AM
  • I have the same problem!

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. It's an upgraded Windows Vista Ultimate x64. I haven't installed any codec after the upgrade.

The mp4 files works fine in WMP12 and are also listed under the Video library except no thumbnails there either.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 10:07 PM
  • I have the same problem and I am quite sure it is not due to bad mp4 files. At a certain point Windows 7 has become unable to produce new thumbnails for mp4 files; if I take an mp4 produced a couple of months ago (when thumbnail generation used to work) and copy it into a different folder the new file will not have a thumbnail.

If I doucleclick the file, it opens correctly in WMP12 so the file type association is still there....

In my quest to find a decent media player (WMP12 doesn't pass the test of decency) I have installed the dreadful iTunes software. Could that be the cause of the problem? That's the only thing I can think of.

EDIT: Actually another thing I have installed recently is the WLMM final release...

Monday, September 07, 2009 11:41 AM
  • In my experience this happens with alot of mp4 files downloaded from Youtube. WMP12 plays the files fine thou and I'm positive it's using Microsofts included codecs.
    Monday, September 07, 2009 11:46 AM
  • My mp4 files are produced with Nero and as I said the same file that currently has a thumbnail will not have a thumbnail if I make a copy of it, so it can't be a problem with the file.

Monday, September 07, 2009 11:52 AM
  • Hi guys,
    I found a solution for this issue on windows 7 64 bits !
    I'm on the 7100 I couldn't get thumbnail preview for my .MOV or .mp4 files. Sometime I could get one or 2 thumb out of 30 in the folder.
    I changed and added a few key to the registry to fix this preview thing:

IN REGEDIT:

_ HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mov\shellex\
    where I only had 2 key inside the shellex.

_I looked inside the mpeg shellex ( because mpeg would generate good thumbnails:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mov\shellex\
    where it had 3 keys

_SO what I tried was to copy those 3 key and replace my .mov shellex 3 key with those.

this is what you can do:

-open regedit
    -right click on:   HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mov\shellex\
    then export it ( it will be your backup in case it doesn't work or you mess up something you will just have to click on it to instal it again.

Then, 
    - remove the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mov\shellex\ "KEY

-open notepad

-paste the following in your notepad file:

-----------------------don't paste this line-------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mov\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mov\shellex\{3D1975AF-0FC3-463d-8965-4DC6B5A840F4}]
    @=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mov\shellex\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{c5a40261-cd64-4ccf-84cb-c394da41d590}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mov\shellex\{E357FCCD-A995-4576-B01F-234630154E96}]
    @="{9DBD2C50-62AD-11D0-B806-00C04FD706EC}"

-----------------------don't paste this line-------------------------

-save it under whatevername.reg ( be sure to use "all file" kind of type file.)

-double click on the reg file you just saves you just saved , it will reinstal the shellex inside the .mov key here:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mov
    with the right keys and stuff.

-close regedit

-open a folder containing your .MOV, refresh the files several times to be sure, it should be working.

Sunday, December 27, 2009 11:58 PM
  • Hello there.

The same problem with me. Try the following, it worked and showed all the thumbnails.

First open Windows Media Player, then click on files-open. Locate the movies or videos that you want to open. From there, a thumbnails will create. When you open window explorer, all the thumbnails were shown.

I hope this help (please excuse my poor English!!)
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:22 AM
  • Thanks for your help and what you said does work but only with individual videos. I need to view a whole page of videos at once as thumbnails so I can pick out the ones I think I will need to look at. When I use Vista and look at a page of videos the page populates into thumbnails so I can see straight away which videos have changed to look at. Going through each one individually with media player would take an age as there are hundreds at once to look at.

Monday, January 04, 2010 1:44 PM
  • This issue occured on my system when I did not have enough free space on my hard drive.  It was doen under 100 MB of free space.  When I cleaned up the drive and created more space my thumbnails reappeared.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 12:58 PM
  • Thanks but I have 345 GB of hard drive space available.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:51 PM
  • Right click "Computer"
    go to properties
    go to Advanced System Settings to bring up the System Properties
    go to Performance and select Settings
    make sure "Show thumbnails instead of icons" is checked off.

• Proposed as answer by sorshadragon Tuesday, February 02, 2010 3:27 AM
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 3:26 AM
  • Will this work with Adobe thumbnails? 

My problem is that anything do with Adobe will not display thumb nails, PDF, PS7 (part of CS3) etc.

We're using Windows 7 64Bit and didn't have this problem before :-(

I'll see if I can find the Reg' keys and let you know if I get it working!

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 10:50 AM
  • THANK YOU!!!!! This actually worked for me. You have kept me sane!
    Friday, April 23, 2010 5:25 AM
  • Problem Solved!:

Open Control Panel

Choose Folder Options

Click the Views tab

Uncheck "Always show Icons, never thumbnails"

Uncheck "Display file icon on thumbnails"

Click Reset Folders button.

Try that... Hope that does it for all that have the same problem!

• Proposed as answer by cyberjack88 Monday, July 12, 2010 4:42 PM
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:30 PM
  • I had this problem with one particular .avi file, in Vista. I changed the extension to .mpg and the thumbnail appeared. Changed it back to .avi and the thumbnail remained. :-)
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 10:35 AM
  • This solution works... low disk memory.. cleaned my docs and done, thumbnails reappear, thanks!!!
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 5:12 AM
  • When I used to view my security camera video card in Vista I would get a thumbnail view of each 10 second video produced.. This made it easy to skip through each video produced and pick out the ones that I thought would be best to check. This would be watched after about a week or so of videos. Now in Windows 7 and windows 7 RC I cannot seem to find this thumbnail view. All I can see is the media player film type .AVI icon for each video. Is there any way of turning the thumbnail function back on. I have tried all the registry fix changes that have been suggested and they don't work. I have downloaded different codec programs and they don't work. The icon/thumbnail box is unchecked in folder views and that doesn't work. Is there an answer to my problem. Does any one know if Microsoft are working on a change to get thumbnails to work with .AVI files. Hope you can help.

I have also the same problem with Windows 7. I tried a lot using different codec pack, media player, registry tweaks, but every time I was ........ Finally I decided and made back up and installed windows xp. Only User Interface is impressive rather than nothing in windows 7. I hate windows 7. File association like 3gp, 3g2, mp4 etc is given but can't play. We need codec pack to run. So, I degrade to windows xp. I love windows xp. Not any problem with windows xp
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 9:56 AM
  • That's IT !!! 

I tried the Folder Options/View tab solution several times but it didn't work.

As soon as I pressed the Reset Folders button everything became good!!

No need to mess around in your registry.

Monday, July 12, 2010 4:42 PM
  • Thanks for replying but that doesn't work. I have already tried something similar and I thought I would retry with your reset folders method but I'm afraid the icons remain the same, just icons and not thumbnails. I have even restarted the computer just in case.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 4:08 PM
  • Same problem.  All the thumbnail previews worked until like yesterday.  I have tried just about everything.  Still getting just icons.  So frustrating.
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:02 PM
  • well, after trying so hard on getthing the thumnail of some files!! I was almost exhausted!!!!!%$@^%#^%@#@

atlast had to buy "thumnailer lite' frm http://www.captrue.com/thumbnailerlite.html and its working very fine now :)

pl note, codecs pack only 'klcodec416f' works fine with the same.

hope my message is useful to all!!! and makes the microsoft WIN 7 creators in Shame!!!!!

best regards

Lalit

Monday, August 02, 2010 7:52 AM
  • Hey thanks soooo much for your assistance,it certainly did the trick.Why do i have to find answers here,rather than windows help section ?  Thanks again
    Monday, August 02, 2010 11:15 AM
  • not for me

Saturday, August 07, 2010 9:39 PM
  • I struggled with this all morning loading various codecs, tweaking registry, etc. etc.  with no success.  What I finally discovered was that one recommendation I read, suggested loading K-Lite Codec Pack, which I did.  This does in fact work or did the second time for me when I paid attention to the various installation prompts.  There are one or two screens that specifically discuss thumbnail generation and the default did not have AVI among others selected.  On my second install, I changed it to make all default to WMP. Once this was done, all my thumbnails returned.  Hope this save somebody from the time I wasted today...
    • Proposed as answer by nastylad Saturday, January 07, 2012 2:44 PM
    Friday, September 03, 2010 5:59 PM
  • I've just had a similar problem where my thumbnails would show for a split second and then revert back to the default icons. I noticed that there was very little space on my OS drive, which incidentally, was causing a windows update to fail, which is how I noticed it. I went through my temp folder and cleared up a bunch of space, and my thumbnails were back again. Didn't have to change any settings.

• Proposed as answer by Varsha[MSFT] Thursday, November 11, 2010 10:07 PM
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 9:50 PM
  • I soleved this on my 64 bit win 7 system.. it was a codec issue... broken codecs  32 bit codecs stepped ontop of the 64 bit ones...klite codecs fixed it for me and its freeware...just google klite codecs
    Sunday, October 24, 2010 11:40 AM
  • I recently had the same problem with my thumbnails.  I downloaded the k-lite 6.5.0 mega codec pack.  During the installation I selected advanced I kept all of the settings that were suggested till I was able to see the thumbnail preview section and I selected all.  And what do you you its working now.  I hope that helps.

good luck

Wednesday, November 03, 2010 5:16 AM
  • I am having this same problem, tried everything above, pdfs will not show thumbnail preview at all, although others seem fine.  The only one I really need to work is adobe.  Some of the medium sized used to until i deleted the the thumbnail cache via system cleanup, as recommended and now I have nothing.  Dl'd klite codec pack and registry fix, still nothing.  

Before I deleted the cache if I unchecked and rechecked 'Display file icon on thumbnails' in "Folder Options" it forced some of the pdfs to suddenly get a thumbnail, but the largest I could get was 'large'.  Extra large would show for a second and then revert to icons. I need this to work for work, and IM SO ANNOYED!!!!! $%#@#%!!!!!!! Please help if you can!       

Windows 7, 64 bit,  216 gb capacity, 39 gb free, Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 Extended

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 9:39 PM
  • Thats the exact solution.  I was messing around with the camera settings and it adjusted the power settings from "entertainment" to something else

concerning the wifi power settings. I was also lost my backround picture I set even after reboot.

I did exactly as arcollorens did after I changed the power settings in control panel back to "entertainment" and it went back to normal. I can see

all thumbnails in all folders.  Check the power settings then do as he says and presto. Thanks again.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 3:24 AM
  • I am having this same problem, tried everything above, pdfs will not show thumbnail preview at all, although others seem fine.  The only one I really need to work is adobe.  Some of the medium sized used to until i deleted the the thumbnail cache via system cleanup, as recommended and now I have nothing.  Dl'd klite codec pack and registry fix, still nothing.  

In Windows Explorer, right-click the folder containing these PDF files, and select Properties . Click Advanced , and put a check in Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties . Click OK , then Apply , and OK again to Apply changes to this folder, sub folders and files . Does that help?
    Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 7:43 PM
  • I know this is an old post... but I just wanted to thank you for your input.  I'm not sure about the original poster but I know you helped me... Thanks..:~D
    Sunday, December 26, 2010 10:09 AM
  • I HAVE FIXED THIS IN W7 64BIT,  THUMBNAILS NOT SHOWING UP IN MY PICTURES FOLDER,  I NOTICED THAT THEY DID SHOW UP IN OTHER FOLDERS, I COPYED A PIC FROM MY PICTURES AND PASTED IT INTO THE VIDEOS FOLDER, IT WORKED OK THERE THUMBNAILS WORKING... SO THE PROBLEM IS WITH THE MY PICTURES FOLDER ITSELF... OK..

CLICKED START, TOP OF MENU CLICK your WINDOWS LOGIN NAME,( ITS RIGHT UNDER THE LITTLE PICTURE AT THE TOP) THAT OPENS ALL MAIN FOLDERS, OPEN MY PICTURES AND CUT OR COPY ALL PICS AND PASTE THEM INTO THE VIDEO FOLDER (ASSUMING ITS EMPTY)  , NOW WHEN THATS DONE DELETE THE MY PICTURES FOLDER AND THEN MAKE A COPY OF THE VIDEO FOLDER AND PASTE IT INTO THE SAME PAGE WHERE YOU JUST DELETED THE MY PICS FOLDER, GOOD SO NOW YOU HAVE DELETED THE MY PICTURES FOLDER AND CREATED A COPY OF THE VIDEO FOLDER, NOW SIMPLY RENAME THE COPY OF VIDEO FOLDER TO  My Pictures and your done..it all works agian...

• Proposed as answer by selfsurf Sunday, May 01, 2011 6:06 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by selfsurf Sunday, May 01, 2011 6:06 AM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:05 AM
  • Thank you very much.  It worked for me
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 4:04 AM
  • How do I get Thumbnails working in Windows 7 Explorer?  I want to view the PDF file.  Seems like this worked in Windows XP, now that we have upgraded to WIN7, it is broken. 

Thursday, February 03, 2011 4:34 PM
  • That worked for me!!! Thank you!!!!
    Friday, February 04, 2011 12:15 AM
  • Thank you... great fix, it works! I just don't know why Microsoft has to make so many things so difficult... :(
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 5:43 AM
  • 1.Open "Folder Options"

2.Check "Always show icons, never thumbnails"

3.Click "Apply"

4.Uncheck "Always show icons, never thumbnails"

5.Click Apply

6.Refresh the window and the thumbnails will generate

• Proposed as answer by tagaruda Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:58 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by tagaruda Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:58 PM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:25 AM
  •  RE:

1.Open control panel - Folder Options

2.Check "Always show icons, never thumbnails"

3.Click "Apply"

4.Uncheck "Always show icons, never thumbnails"

5.Click Apply

6.Refresh the window and the thumbnails will generate

...which didnt work for me...

###
    So open any folder click organise - folder search options - in View un-tick always show icons never thumbnails - AND APPLY TO ALL FOLDERS and dont forget to click apply - then OK, if you want all folders to view thumbnails, otherwise you will only effect that single folder, which may be ok for you if you have a slower pc.

I missed that so i spent ages trying to find the folder that i reset lol

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:59 PM
  • For those having issues with thumnails appearing in Windows 7, this is what worked for me. Install the K-lite codec pack from the K-lite website, *THEN* (and this is important) install the 64 bit version afterwards. You'll be prompted with a screen while installing the 64-bit version asking which thumbnails you'd like generated. At that point select 'all'. And that should fix your problem. The thumbnails don't show up at first, but I switched my default player from media player classic to VLC and they showed up immediately while refreshing. So I think this should solve the issue for people using 64-bit based systems. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Orerockon Saturday, May 21, 2011 5:37 PM
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 1:28 AM
  • Absolutely brilliant, thanks for the info. But I found it in win7 buy

--

Clicking [Organise] down Arrow ,

Then Click [Folder and Search Options]

Click [View] Tab,

Un-tick [Always show icons, never thumbnails]

--

Hmm is that the same ! 

Thanks again .. I thought it was as told by other info something to do with Fax printer not installed.

Sunday, April 10, 2011 10:36 AM
  • This worked for me - Windows had magically decided that of all the "performance boosting" things it could turn off that my thumbnails was the most important thing to disable.... maybe because I have 1500 image files and 3200 videos :p
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:50 AM
  • With a folder of video or other graphics files open, tap "ALT" and a menu bar will appear at the top with the following options: File-Edit-View-Tools-Help.  Click on View and the options including small, medium, large, and extra large icons will appear.  Click on the size of icons you want your thumbnails to be, and the thumbnails will reappear.  Make sure other settings mentioned in this forum are correct, so that thumbnails will appear.  The above setting changes folder view from Detail view to a view allowing thumbnails.
    Monday, April 25, 2011 9:24 PM
  • This solved the "no thumbnails" for me, thank you!  I don't know how it got changed to NOT show....

Friday, April 29, 2011 6:10 PM
  • THANK YOU!!!  I can now see my photos without having to click on each one!!!!  I can't believe how simple this fix was!

Monday, May 02, 2011 3:03 PM
  • thanks, it worked for me.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 9:29 AM
  • Installing the K-Lite Codec pack and the Windows 7 add-on is THE SOLUTION for Windows 7 64 bit. The other fixes are all temporary or apply to certain folders/files/file types.
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 5:40 PM
  • Thanks for this! It was already ticked for me. I just unticked it, clicked ok. Nothing changed. Went back and ticked it again ... and everything was fine!

Thanks.

Kwex.

Sunday, June 26, 2011 4:33 PM
  • I just installed the shark codec pack as suggested. It worked for me.
    Sunday, July 03, 2011 2:18 AM
  • ThanQ Brother Its working 100%
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:39 AM
  • Hey Bru! Thankx for the good tip! Win 7 is not easy getting used to!
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 7:59 PM
  • if got the same problem there are millions of topics on forum sites ... When goes microsoft here something about it! If got first WIN Vista that version got it same .. and my new windows 7 32 Bit  also ! I HATE IT !! Do Somthing ! LINK:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpromedia/thread/a4236355-e4da-456e-955c-1c528b7c296e/#a4236355-e4da-456e-955c-1c528b7c296e

MR_JohnDeere

Saturday, July 30, 2011 9:17 AM
  • When I used to view my security camera video card in Vista I would get a thumbnail view of each 10 second video produced.. This made it easy to skip through each video produced and pick out the ones that I thought would be best to check. This would be watched after about a week or so of videos. Now in Windows 7 and windows 7 RC I cannot seem to find this thumbnail view. All I can see is the media player film type icon for each video. Is there any way of turning the thumbnail function back on. Hope you can help.

Hey Rogermerlin, this is pretty easy to get back for you. What you're going to want to do is open up the Windows Explorer , once that is open click on the down arrow next to Organize, which is located under the Back and Forward navigation buttons. A drop down menu will pop up, select Folder and search options, once that is up, under the View tab, you want to uncheck the first option which reads "Always show icons, never thumbnails". Let us know if this is what you were looking for.

Thank you SO MUCH!  As soon as I "UNCHECKED" the "Always show icons, never thumbnails" I was able to see picture thumbnails again! It was driving me crazy for the longest time. :)

Thanks Again

Brendricky

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 12:41 PM
  • Maybe your computer has deleted the DLL files. Try to reinstall "shmedia.dll". Hope it fix the problem. It works for me.

Joshua Yip
    • Proposed as answer by Josh95 Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:50 AM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:50 AM
  • Thanks a million. Helped me BIG.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 11:50 AM
  • This worked a treat! Many thanks!
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:38 AM
  • Thank you thank you so much, it worked :) it had been driving me crazy.
    Wednesday, November 02, 2011 11:47 PM
  • I am experiencing same problem. Hopefuly Microsoft pay attention in this bug and fix it.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:21 PM
  • THANK YOU!!!!! This resolved my issue.
    Friday, January 06, 2012 3:59 AM
  • I struggled with this all morning loading various codecs, tweaking registry, etc. etc.  with no success.  What I finally discovered was that one recommendation I read, suggested loading K-Lite Codec Pack, which I did.  This does in fact work or did the second time for me when I paid attention to the various installation prompts.  There are one or two screens that specifically discuss thumbnail generation and the default did not have AVI among others selected.  On my second install, I changed it to make all default to WMP. Once this was done, all my thumbnails returned.  Hope this save somebody from the time I wasted today...
    I tried all other options suggested here then i read this about klite i went and got there latest version and installed it and as daveony says there is a page asking what files you want thumbnails for i selected all file types and now its working fine again for me.
    Saturday, January 07, 2012 2:46 PM

this worked for me, I had the same problem thank you for your post ;-) mike
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:13 PM
  • Hi all, None of the above have worked for me. I tried EVERYTHING suggested here & I am still not seeing thumbnails. For me, everyting was fine & I was able to see PDF thumbnails up until I installed Acrobat 10 pro yesterday. As soon as I installed it...all PDF thumbnails turned to icons before my very eyes & ONLY the PDF's. I have never been able to view Photoshop thumbnails, they have always appeared as icons. This has been a "peave" of mine for some time, as you can't see what they are unless you open photoshop(they don't show in preview pane either). But now...my PDF's??? Have tried to search the Adobe site, & as expected, no help there. They are saying that it's a Win7 issue, but all other thumbnails appear.  PDF's do still show in the preveiw pane within the folder. I'm running Win7 Pro-SP1, 64bit, 7GB-RAM on an AMD Phenom-Quad-Core. Any help would be appreciated, as this is one of those things that drive me nuts!! Thanks in advance!

• Edited by dmacdo1 Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:15 PM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:52 PM
  • Hi dear, Thanks for your help, it worked for me. :)
    Monday, January 30, 2012 6:54 AM
  • http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-thumbnail-previews-in-windows-vista-explorer/

This page tells you how to get rid of thumbnails, but also helps get them back.

Monday, February 27, 2012 7:52 PM
  • thanks 

Sunday, November 18, 2012 11:40 AM
  • great brother it perfactley worked for me
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 1:08 AM
  • For those having issues with thumnails appearing in Windows 7, this is what worked for me. Install the K-lite codec pack from the K-lite website, *THEN* (and this is important) install the 64 bit version afterwards. You'll be prompted with a screen while installing the 64-bit version asking which thumbnails you'd like generated. At that point select 'all'. And that should fix your problem. The thumbnails don't show up at first, but I switched my default player from media player classic to VLC and they showed up immediately while refreshing. So I think this should solve the issue for people using 64-bit based systems. :)

This worked for me.  I had it working but installed a new codec pack but didn't realize I'd downloaded the 32 bit, not the 64.  After installing the 64 everything is back working as intended.
    Friday, July 05, 2013 6:53 AM
  • That is great.. by unchecking the "Always show icons"marked box works well... lovin it...

Thanx All Replies

• Edited by AKafridi Monday, August 05, 2013 8:44 PM
    Monday, August 05, 2013 8:44 PM
  • Thanks. Worked like a charm for my photo galleries.
    Friday, August 23, 2013 12:23 PM
  • Thanks very much!

K-lite codec pack did the trick.

I have win7 (home premium) 64 bit and the thumbnails not showing on mpegs has been driving me nuts for ages.

• Edited by Smedmore Friday, December 20, 2013 8:19 AM
    Friday, December 20, 2013 8:18 AM
  • To temporarily fix this ,  a workaround is written below..

the problem itself :  there is a video file that windows does not like, cant make a thumbnail of it  , so dllhost.exe ends up hanging and a constant CPU utilization will ensue and you cannot see any folders  in explorer-- even if you click on my computer -- everything is blank

the messy fix is as follows...

close all explorer folders

open task manager ,  kill dllhost.exe  a few times until cpu utilization is normal

et voila ,  everything back to normal, until you go back to that folder that was causing the problem.

• Edited by shaneH83 Sunday, December 22, 2013 9:27 PM
    Sunday, December 22, 2013 9:24 PM
  • i tried all the solution that i found i the web but unfortunately not solve, but the easy way to solve to show this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd3Io2wCczI

Saturday, January 11, 2014 1:12 AM
  • this was surely helpful for me. thanks a lot bro...
    Friday, January 31, 2014 9:52 AM