none
Matlab in Windows 7

Question

• Has anyone used Matlab in Windows 7?
    I read somewhere in this forum that matlab 2008 is compatible. But is there any one who has worked on it?
    I dont have Matlab 2008 but I tried 2007b and it did not install the matlab compiler.
    Any suggestion?
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 6:58 AM

Answers

• Hy
    To install Matlab 2007 on windows 7
    1-Change Windows 7 Theme to the classic one (windows classic)
    2-now the Matlab install will work correctly

To use Matlab with other windows 7 themes you have to change java used by matlab.
    1- download latest java version and install it.
    2- go to  C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2007a\sys\java\jre\win32 you will find a file named jer1.5.0_07 rename it to Original_jer1.5.0_07
    3- go to C:\Program Files\Java you will find file named jet6 (jetX for Xversion) copie it to C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2007a\sys\java\jre\win32
        and rename it to jer1.5.0_07
    Now you can use matlab with all themes.

Thursday, May 14, 2009 2:08 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for the posts.

We can check the issue with Mathworks to see if they can resolve it or if a new version for Windows 7 releases.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 4:26 AM
  • Now there is no problem in installing matlab on windows 7. You just need latest java. It works nicely.
    My problem is resloved. Thanks everyone for your help. Microsoft is really learning from the beta program and fixing bugs after bugs.
    • Marked as answer by hriket Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:07 AM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:07 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Have you tried Vista Compatibility Mode to try and get this working?

Regards,

~Alex T.~
    ~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Monday, February 09, 2009 7:55 PM
  • Thanks Alex for your suggestion.
    I have already tried that and it does not work. I also tried xp compatibility.
    I have tried installing Matlab 2008b as well as 2007a/b

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 5:00 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for the posts.

We can check the issue with Mathworks to see if they can resolve it or if a new version for Windows 7 releases.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 4:26 AM
  • Hy

To use Matlab with other windows 7 themes you have to change java used by matlab.
    2- go to  C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2007a\sys\java\jre\win32 you will find a file named jer1.5.0_07 rename it to Original_jer1.5.0_07
    3- go to C:\Program Files\Java you will find file named jet6 (jetX for Xversion) copie it to C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2007a\sys\java\jre\win32

Thursday, May 14, 2009 2:08 PM
  • ELFEHRIJ,

Thanks a lot! It really works~ It is amazing!

And I also find that we can actually modify jre.cfg file. It contains a number X, which indicate the version of java, and matlab would read the folder "jrex". So we can set x to "6" instead of renaming the folder of the new jre6.

Thanks a again!

Yudong
    Saturday, July 04, 2009 3:06 AM
  • Now there is no problem in installing matlab on windows 7. You just need latest java. It works nicely.
    My problem is resloved. Thanks everyone for your help. Microsoft is really learning from the beta program and fixing bugs after bugs.
    • Marked as answer by hriket Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:07 AM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:07 AM
  • For Matlab R2007a, the latest Java JRE should be 1.5.0_19 not JRE6. If JRE6 is used, the Matlab help browser will not work.
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 6:30 PM
  • The help browser will work with JRE 1.5.0_20 too.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 2:36 AM
  • I found JRE 1.5.0_19.. downloaded it put it in the MATLAB sys java folder thing.. but when i try to access the doc screen windows pops up and says 'MATLAB has stopped working' even though it looks like its working fine. how do i stop it from doing this?
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 11:25 PM
  • I am still having the issue with Matlab. I installed Matlab like it was mentioned by ELFEHRIJ . The problem is that the help files do no work. Those of you who could get your help files to work can you please suggest what is to be done?

Thanks
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 4:54 PM
  • ELFEHRIJ, this works perfectly for me, thanks!~
    Friday, November 06, 2009 9:15 PM
  • Okay, this is what I did:
    First:

Second:

To use Matlab with other windows 7 themes you have to change java used
    by matlab .
    1- download JRE 1.5.0_19 or JRE 1.5.0_20 java version and install it.
    https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_Developer-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewFilteredProducts-SingleVariationTypeFilter

http://java.sun.com/products/archive/

2- go to  C:\Program Files\MATLAB \R2007a\sys\java\jre\win32 you will
    find a file named jer1.5.0_07 rename it to Original_jer1.5.0_07
    3- go to C:\Program Files\Java you will find file named JRE 1.5.0_19 or JRE 1.5.0_20 , copy it to C:\Program
    Files\MATLAB \R2007a\sys\java\jre\win32   and rename it to jer1.5.0_07
    Now you can use matlab with all themes with help.

reference:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproappcompat/thread/4dba5d57-3127-48f3-9461-eb1ef5d7c70e
    Friday, November 06, 2009 10:39 PM
    First:

Second:

To use Matlab with other windows 7 themes you have to change java used
    by matlab .
    https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_Developer-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewFilteredProducts-SingleVariationTypeFilter

2- go to  C:\Program Files\MATLAB \R2007a\sys\java\jre\win32 you will
    find a file named jer1.5.0_07 rename it to Original_jer1.5.0_07
    3- go to C:\Program Files\Java you will find file named JRE 1.5.0_19 or JRE 1.5.0_20 , copy it to C:\Program
    Files\MATLAB \R2007a\sys\java\jre\win32   and rename it to jer1.5.0_07
    Now you can use matlab with all themes with help.

reference:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproappcompat/thread/4dba5d57-3127-48f3-9461-eb1ef5d7c70e

Is 1.5.0_20 same as JDK/JRE - 5.0 update 20 ?
    • Proposed as answer by JACKAL1661 Monday, November 09, 2009 7:15 AM
    Friday, November 06, 2009 11:10 PM
  • I think so
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 12:12 AM
  • Thanks for your advice. Installing the JRE 5.0.20 works fine, even Java 6 update 16 worked for me.

There is only one problem left when using Simulink. If I try to open the scope (or floating scope) parameters, I can only see an empty window.
    Does anybody know a solution for this problem? Everything else is OK. But I can not change scope parameters (for example change the number of axes or data point limits).

It only works if I change the theme back to Windows classic and run Matlab 7 on the old JRE (which is 1.4.2 in my case).

Thanks for any help.
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 5:02 PM
  • in part 3 -- rename to jre1.5.0_07 instead of jer1.5.0_07  that worked for me
    Monday, November 09, 2009 7:19 AM
  • Great Answer but might want to mention java stuff is related to directory and its contents. Must replace directory and contents.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:17 PM
  • Installed newest Java, but Matlab2007a on Windows, still makes nasty things. Everything seems fine until you start help- the is shows "Not responding"message and exits.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:23 PM
    First: 
    To install 
    Matlab 2007 on windows 7
    2-now the 
    Matlab install will work correctly

Second:

To use 
    Matlab with other windows 7 themes you have to change java used
    by 
    matlab .

2- go to  C:\Program Files\
    MATLAB \R2007a\sys\java\jre\win32 you will
    find a file named jer1.5.0_07 rename it to Original_jre1.5.0_07
    Files\
    MATLAB \R2007a\sys\java\jre\win32   and rename it to jre1.5.0_07
    Now you can use 
    matlab with all themes with help.

reference:

i followed these steps and matlab seems to be working well. BUT everytime i  start matlab it automatically creates a folder named  "$documents" on my desktop how i make this stop?
    Friday, November 27, 2009 12:23 PM
  • Thanks ELFEHRIJ! it worked like a charm! Cheerios
    Monday, December 14, 2009 4:44 PM
  • Anyone kow how to make the R2008a portable edition work on Windows7 professional x64 ? I got Jre6 x64 installed. I tried the visual themes and compatibility but it just crashes when launching, and I cant put jrre on folder since its a portable.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 12:22 PM
  • hi

I installed matlab701 when I was using windows vista premium. It was performing nice.
    Last week i upgraded windows7, from that moment matlab is not working.

I have tried the procedure given by you.
    When I switch to theme windows classic it works. But for other themes it doesnt.
    Actually i installed jre-1_5_0_21-windows-i586-p.
    Then I gone to C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2007a\sys\java\jre\win32 where i did found a folder named jre1.4.2_04.
    I tried to rename it but it was showing that "action can not be completed becuase files open it in another program" (it might be matlab.exe). I did closed all aplications then also it was displying the same error.

for this case, What to do to work MATLAB in other themes also. Please if possible mail me on deepunune@gmail.com

Deepak

Thursday, December 17, 2009 6:40 AM
    First:  
    To install 
    Matlab  2007 on windows 7
    2-now the 
    Matlab  install will work correctly

Second:

To use 
    Matlab  with other windows 7 themes you have to change java used
    by 
    matlab  .

2- go to  C:\Program Files\
    MATLAB  \R2007a\sys\java\jre\win32 you will
    find a file named jer1.5.0_07 rename it to Original_jre 1.5.0_07
    Files\
    MATLAB  \R2007a\sys\java\jre\win32   and rename it to jre 1.5.0_07
    Now you can use 
    matlab  with all themes with help.

reference:

i followed these steps and matlab seems to be working well. BUT everytime i  start matlab it automatically creates a folder named  "$documents" on my desktop how i make this stop?

This procedure works well for me. Thanks!!

One thing to note: I had to install the 32 bit version (jre-1_5_0_20-windows-i586-p.exe) instead of the 64 bit version (jre-1_5_0_20-windows-amd64.exe) even though I have a 64 bit Windows 7 running on a 64 bit machine.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 6:17 PM
  • My issue with your solution is that the MATLAB file you suggest to change (jer1.5.0_07) is actually a folder named "jre1.5.0_07" for me, and in Java I don't get any sort of "jet6", but only the following folder options:

jre1.6.0
    jre1.6.0_02
    jre1.6.0_03
    jre1.6.0_05
    jre1.6.0_07
    jre6

Do you have any suggestions for working through this?  Any help is appreciated!
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 8:07 AM
  • Ok maybe this just work for windows 7 users, math lab have problems with screen effects and compatibility with win 7, so lets just configure correctly math lab,
    1.-  open compatibility tab
    2.- Select windows 2000 
    3.- mark the option to disable visual themes

this should fix it maybe it will also work on Vista not sure about. i didnt have to rename anything or and downloading java will not work because already had newer vercion, hope this help out c ya and tankyou for the idea.

*-*-*-*Important*-*-*
    Hello again i decided to modify the existing post because after some use i discover that when i use the save function math lave crash and close, but simple change compatibility to XP Service pack 3 worked aparently all funtions are correct now.
    • Edited by Azael H Tuesday, March 16, 2010 6:41 AM issues when saving info.
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 7:32 PM
  • I still have the problem that I can not change the Scope Parameters in Simulink when using JRE 5 or 6.
    Clicking on the Parameter button in a scope will only open an empty window.

It only works with JRE 1.4.2 but this version doesn't work with Win 7 themes as you all know.

Anybode having the same problem (unable to change Simulink Scope Parameters with newer Java Versions)?

Thanks for your reply.
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 9:15 AM
  • This post is for any who stumble across this issue in the future or who, after all of the above detail, is still unable to get Matlab working - a situation I was in just a few minutes ago. 

I was able to get Matlab 7.1 running on my wife's Windows 7 Starter laptop by installing an older version of Java than she was initially using.  I installed JRE 1.5 (her main/current version of java is JRE 6) and then added a system variable MATLAB_JAVA that directs Matlab to use the JRE 1.5 version.  See http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/en/data/1-1812J/index.html for more details on the system variable aspect.  No re-naming or overwriting of system or java files was required, and with Windows 7 Starter edition no playing with themes is possible so that approach was out (Windows 7 Starter is a crippled pile of junk, but that's a whole 'nother story).  Older versions of Java can be found here: http://java.sun.com/products/archive/

Front-end, Plots, and Help files all work fine, but I have not tried Simulink.

Regards,
    Corey
    Friday, February 05, 2010 3:21 AM
  • Ok maybe this just work for windows 7 users, math lab have problems with screen effects and compatibility with win 7, so lets just configure correctly math lab,
    1.-  open compatibility tab
    2.- Select windows 2000 
    3.- mark the option to disable visual themes

this should fix it maybe it will also work on Vista not sure about. i didnt have to rename anything or and downloading java will not work because already had newer vercion, hope this help out c ya and tankyou for the idea.

this and http://www.mathworks.fr/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/243603#695133 this for matlab 7.1r14sp3 users.
    works perfect without any java modification in win 7 home premium!!!! thanx a bunch! works with all themes, and no problem with help file at all.
    hope the same will work with you guys 2007b users.
    cheers
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 5:04 PM
  • "Installed newest Java, but Matlab2007a on Windows, still makes nasty things. Everything seems fine until you start help- the is shows "Not responding"message and exits."
    -------------------------

I'm experiencing the same problem. Has anyone found a solution to this? Thanks in advance!
    Monday, March 08, 2010 1:39 AM
  • Thank you for this!!!  This was the only fix that worked.  I also have Windows 7 starter.
    • Proposed as answer by TreeGuy1080 Monday, March 15, 2010 1:05 AM
    Monday, March 15, 2010 1:04 AM
  • What do i have to do for MATLAB R2006b?
    • Proposed as answer by SJGSilva Saturday, March 20, 2010 1:34 PM
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:36 PM
  • Thx Sir it was really helpfull!!!!!
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 3:11 PM
  • I have also problem installing matlab to windows 7. I tried to install Matlab 2009b and 2010a in windows 7 pro.

Though after the installation has completed, I'm getting the message

VCRT_check.exe - Application Error
    The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0150004). Click OK to close the application.

Has anyone idea what is happening

Thanks in advance

Saturday, April 03, 2010 12:18 PM
  • Just installed Matlab 7 on Window7 64-bit.

1. Download jre1.5.0_20 (thats version 5 update 20) from http://java.sun.com/products/archive/

For some reason, jre1.5.0_19 didnt work for me. Kept on getting ...\bin\classic\jvm.dll not found. So if you get the same error, use jre1.5.0_20

2. Also ensure that you download the "Windows" version and not "Windows x64" of jre that shows up in the drop down menu on Java's website even if you are running Windows7 64-bit version since matlab version is 32-bit. The exe is called jre-1_5_0_20-windows-i586-p-iftw.exe

3. Install (if you have a later version of jre, install it first) it

4. Copy c:\Program File (x64)\java\jre1.5.0_20 folder to c:\Matlab7\sys\java\jre\win32

5. In this latter folder, there'd be a jre.cfg file. Copy it to ori_jre.cfg. Edit jre.cfg to replace the old version name with 1.5.0_20

6. Matlab7 should work now. I also disabled matlabserver from startup (run msconfig from run prompt). It might or might not be necessary.

Thanks to ELFEHRIJ for the basic idea. I had to make some changes and its now working fine for me.

and oh, alternatively, setting the theme to "Classic" worked too but I prefer the more trendier Window7 ones ;)

All the best!

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 5:26 AM
  • Is it possible to do it on a Windows 7 32-bit OS? Why do you say specifically for 64-bit version?
    Thursday, April 08, 2010 6:21 AM
  • Hi,

Just installed Matlab 7 on Windows7 32-bit, and I'm having Problems.

I installed Matlab, and fixed the issues with installation of jre1.6.

I also configured MATLAB_JAVA as an environment variable exactly as suggested.

Matlab then opens, but some of the options are unavailable:

For example, when right clicking on a function in the code, the 'open selection' is unavailable.

For now, I didn't notice any other problems, but I'm afraid it's only a matter of time.

To fix it, I tried installing version 5 as suggested here (jre1.5.0_21) and changed the environment variable to point to it (the path is now C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_21) , and also changed the CFG file (and the dierctory name, just in case) like JustDidIt suggested, but the problem won't go away.

Does anyone have an idea how the problem can be solved? Please??!!

Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:06 PM
  • Hi, 

I'd like to know if MATLAB 2009b is working on Windows 7 correctly or not . Because of facing problems with Vista I thought I may change my OS , but i need to be able to use MATLA 2009b , anyone can help me ?

Thanks 

Friday, April 16, 2010 10:00 PM
  • I am using 2009a without any issues on win 7 professional. I dont think there is any considerable change in 2009b, if any they would have added support rather than removing.
    Friday, April 16, 2010 10:06 PM
  • Ok , Thank you Ayush ..
    Friday, April 16, 2010 10:09 PM
  • Thanks a lot. That was really helpful.

One comment whoever will try next. Whatever matlab version you have the above trick should work, just make sure that java folder you copied should be named exactly the folder you had.

Monday, May 03, 2010 9:50 PM
  • Thank you!!!!!!!!!
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 10:50 PM
  • Hi,

I installed Windows 7 x64 bit. I want to install Matlab 2007b 32bit on it.

I tried to run setup.exe, and it gives me an error as follows. I changed the theme to classic and ran setup. Still same issue. I restarted my PC, keeping classic theme. The issue exists.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,

HVS

Friday, May 07, 2010 3:11 PM
  • I've also Windows 7 x64 bit and Matlab for 32 bit. Just do the second suggestion of ELFEHRIJ. I copied it below. It helped me. Now I'm using my matlab on Windows 7. But only the trick is 1. it's not file, actually it should be folder. Also it's name could be slightly different from one down here. Also that name maybe different from the name of folder in your program folder for Java. Copy the entire folder from the folder for Java and use the old name of your folder (jer1.5.0, I'm using this name but it could be slightly different) for copied one.

Friday, May 07, 2010 9:07 PM
  • I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium, Matlab 7.6 (R2008a) 64bits version (confirmed executing "computer" on the command window), latest version of Java jre6 for 64 bits; I tried solutions proposed here, but I am not able to use the help files.

If anyone is using same setup without issues, please share with me!

Thanking in advance!

Saturday, May 08, 2010 1:15 AM
  • Hello.  I am gpleased of your success.  I just installed Matlab 7 on Window 7 Ultimate (x64).  Matlab 7 came with JRE 1.4.2.  What to do?  Delete or keep? What to do in either case.  Also, I am also confused with Step 5.  What do you mean "Copy it to ori_jre.cfg. Edit jre.cfg to replace the old version name with 1.5.0_20"?  What is the ori folder and what is the exact name of the file.

Help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Saturday, May 15, 2010 2:53 AM
  • hey, my installation began but every now and then it gave an error message saying invalid crc and so on.... please help me... i m unable to install matlab 7.4 2007a on windows 7 64 bit platform. i tried everything.. changing the theme and so on.... but  matlab is not getting installed correctly....
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 10:32 AM
  • hey thanks a lot for ur suggestion buddy.... i would like to add that i have matlab 7.4 setup for win32 and win64. i faced problems installing win64. i also faced problems installing win32. but then windows 7 asked me for installing the program using recommended settings and after accepting it everything worked fine. i didnt have to change my theme to windows classic for installation. yes for running matlab on other themes i had to do what u suggested. i copied the folder "jre1.5..0.22" from c:\program files\java to c:\program files\matlab\r2007a\sys\java\jre\win32. i renamed it to jre1.5.0.07. now everything is working fine.
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 4:55 PM
  • Hello,

first i would like to say THANK YOU!!

Now, I was following your guide but encountered a problem in step 2 of part 2. When i opened my c:\ directory i didnt find the matlab subfolder. PLEASE help me.

I am using Matlab 7.0 (i know its old but its all i have). Can you help me navigate the java update?

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:55 AM
  • Hello,

Are you able to install Matlab 7.0 successfully on Win7 professional 64-bit? I changed the scheme to classic and installed it. It seems fine. However, when I start it up, it shows the matlab window and status shows initializing, but it then closes. Any idea what might be wrong?

Saturday, May 29, 2010 3:12 AM
  • Thanks ELFEHRIJ, it worked!
    Monday, June 14, 2010 3:51 PM
  • Hello, I have the same problem. I tried with matlab2009a/b, changing the theme and the settings for the screen but it did not work. The installation does not start at all, and error messages appear related to incompatibility. Hence, no directory is generated where substituted the jer6 folder, as suggested in some other thread. Is there anyone who can help me? Thanks in advance
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 3:52 PM
  • I'm using Windows 7 home premium 64-bit and I'm facing the same problem while downloading MATLAB 2009b or 2008a :S:S

anyone can help plz I need to install it ASAP !! 

Saturday, July 03, 2010 1:57 PM
  • thku sir:

Your idea helped me installing MATLAB in WINDOWS 7(Professional edition) but this is not working in WINDOWS 7 ( HOME PREMIUM EDITION ).

please suggest me the alternate way......

Saturday, August 07, 2010 2:43 PM
  • For Matlab R2007a and Window 7 x64, the java JRE 1.5.0_19 or JRE_1.5.0.20 works for a while and then for some unknown reason, Matlab R2007a Help browser then stop responsing: it opened but became unresponsive immediately.

After a long search, I came upon the following Mathworks articles on MATLAB_JAVA environment variable:

http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/matlab_external/f98533.html#f122001

In Window 7 x64, Matlab R2007a Java is installed in the following directory: (assuming you have following previous thread on copying Jre1.5.0_19 to your matlab java installation directory)

C:\Program Files (x86)\MATLAB\sys\java\jre\win32\jre1.5.0_19

set or add your MATLAB_JAVA Environment Variable to such directory.

Also in C:\Program Files (x86)\MATLAB\sys\java\jre\win32 there is a file call jre.cfg that contains the version of jre Matlab is using. modify it so that it say 1.5.0_19.

After adding the MATLAB_JAVA Environment Variable, my Matlab Help browser finally work again.

Monday, August 09, 2010 6:01 PM
  • Thanks hope this will work...
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 3:38 AM
  • could anyone please tell me which jre I should download to install my Matlab 2009b under win 7 64 bit?

Thank you!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 5:55 AM
  • Hi ELFEHRIJ,

I tried switching to windows classic to install Matlab R13 onto Windows 7. The install appeared to be fine, but when I try to run the program, I get the fatal error "license manager error -103". I'm actually having the same problem trying to run Photoshop V4 on the same computer. Any suggestions?

• Edited by BethNYC Sunday, August 15, 2010 3:02 PM Added detail
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 3:00 PM
  • what i supposed to do for matlab r2006a?

i'm using windows 7 64-bit.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:24 PM
  • Thanks Alot man...
    Monday, August 30, 2010 9:54 AM
  • It worked like charm. Thanks for suggestion!
    Saturday, October 02, 2010 12:23 AM
  • Note that if you have Matlab R2007b you have to do the following. First change the theme as above.

1. Download java version 1.6.15. and install it. (http://www.oldapps.com/java.php)

2. Change C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2007b\sys\java\jre\win32\XXXX , The file name XXXX stands for the java version you have.  Change the XXXX to jre1.6.0_15.

3. Change the file jre in C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2007b\sys\java\jre\win32. Open it with notepad and write 1.6.0_15 instead of the text that was there before.

Note: you can install newer versions of java without influencing this setup, just don't delete the 1.6 version.

And you have a running Matlab

Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:26 PM
  • For Matlab R2007a and Window 7 x64, the java JRE 1.5.0_19 or JRE_1.5.0.20 works for a while and then for some unknown reason, Matlab R2007a Help browser then stop responsing: it opened but became unresponsive immediately.

After a long search, I came upon the following Mathworks articles on MATLAB_JAVA environment variable:

http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/matlab_external/f98533.html#f122001

In Window 7 x64, Matlab R2007a Java is installed in the following directory: (assuming you have following previous thread on copying Jre1.5.0_19 to your matlab java installation directory)

C:\Program Files (x86)\MATLAB\sys\java\jre\win32\jre1.5.0_19

set or add your MATLAB_JAVA Environment Variable to such directory.

Also in C:\Program Files (x86)\MATLAB\sys\java\jre\win32 there is a file call jre.cfg that contains the version of jre Matlab is using. modify it so that it say 1.5.0_19.

After adding the MATLAB_JAVA Environment Variable, my Matlab Help browser finally work again.

This is the most correct method. Be sure to only ADD MATLAB_JAVA "system variable " to C:\Program Files\MATLAB\sys\java\jre\win32\jre1.5.0_19. DON'T ADD it to  "User variable ", this will lead HELP browser crash.

Saturday, October 23, 2010 2:13 AM
  • I still have the problem that I can not change the Scope Parameters in Simulink when using JRE 5 or 6.
    Clicking on the Parameter button in a scope will only open an empty window.

It only works with JRE 1.4.2 but this version doesn't work with Win 7 themes as you all know.

Anybode having the same problem (unable to change Simulink Scope Parameters with newer Java Versions)?

Thanks for your reply.

Hey, I am having the same issue, but seems that no one is answering this! I tried to look up for that on some forums and similar, but I didn't have any luck! I'll be gratefull if you let me know if you come up with a solution, and I will do the same in case I find out! My e-mail is darchello@hotmail.com

Thankfull in advance!

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 11:02 PM
  • Worked like a charm!

Many thanks :)
    Sunday, November 07, 2010 5:31 PM
  • Man..T=I don't know how to really thank you. I had this issue for sometime and I just read your posting and it worked great
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 6:25 AM
  • thanks for the guide. :)
    Wednesday, February 09, 2011 11:21 AM
  • Installed newest Java, but Matlab2007a on Windows, still makes nasty things. Everything seems fine until you start help- the is shows "Not responding"message and exits.

You should not install new version of "JRE" for MATLAB R2007a. Since, it is older product & accepts only jre introduced at that stage..

You just install jre 1.5.0.7 OR do as said in earlier!!! :)

Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:01 PM
  • My matlab was working with windows7 when I changed the theme to windows classic but suddenly it stoppwd again, I dont know why. I have just tried the options u posted above and it says that I cannot change the file name because it is opened in another program...but it is not, I have checked or I cant find the program....
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 5:40 AM
  • Wow... why are people making their explanations/instructions so confusing and imprecise? Ok first of all, this stuff about copying Java files, first suggested by ELFEHRIJ, can we clear up once and for all what the mistakes in the instructions are?

1.) There is no such file named "jer1.5.0_07". There is, however, a directory which starts with jre, not jer. Is this what we are talking about?

2.) Why is everyone talking about the directory win32? The original path mentioned is: C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2007a\sys\java\jre\win32. I do not have such a path. I only have win64 at the end. No win32 folder. In other words, the only path I have is: C:\Program Files\Programs\MATLAB\R2007a\sys\java\jre\win64. How come I don't have a win32 folder?? (NOTE: I used a subfolder called Programs within Program Files to install to; otherwise my path is the same.)

Screenshot:

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/9391/matlabpath.png

**NOTE: I am dealing with Matlab R2007a on Windows 7 x64 Professional. I got the install to complete, but now it gives me an error when launching it.

3.) When I go into C:\Program Files\Programs\MATLAB\R2007a\sys\java\jre\win64, what I see is a folder named jre1.5.0_05. It's not 1.5.0_07 as stated in original instructions. Why the discrepancy?

Screenshot 2:

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/1511/matlabpath2.png

4.) Why did lupki suddenly start talking about a Matlab path that includes the Program Files (x86) folder? Everyone here trying to install matlab 2007 on a 64bit system had placed it into the Program Files folder, correct?

Thanks

Friday, July 22, 2011 2:32 AM
  •  

Thanks to all the data provided in this forum and 2 days work, I succeeded installing 2007a on my new PC under W7 Ultimate. I use it for running Simulink.

Summing it up :

Could not install the 64 bit version, so it runs on 32 bit installation. Anyone knows why? Is it worth continuing fighting? Would Simulink run faster?

The Matlab is installed in Program Files (x86) by default. There you look for the folder of the Java workaround.

It won't run under the original java version provided in the Matlab CD .

When using the jre6 (jre-6u27) it ran Simulink , however, when trying to use the control toolbox linear analysis, it got stuck (e.g. didn't display Bode)

As recommended, I installed the jre1_5_0_20 .

Here is the link : http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javasebusiness/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase5-419410.html#jre-1.5.0_20-oth-JPR

I use the classic theme. Like it better, so didn't bother check the other options.

The Linear analysis and the Help run OK.

Good luck ,

ER

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 1:13 PM
  • Hi, I can help you to solve your problem. Give me your email address I'll send you steps and additional software links.
    Monday, September 05, 2011 4:31 PM
  • send me ur email address I'll send u its solution and software links to solve ur problem

• Proposed as answer by dlrb Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:06 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by dlrb Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:06 PM
    • Proposed as answer by dlrb Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:07 PM
    Monday, September 05, 2011 5:31 PM
  • Thank you very much
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:11 PM
  • Thank you for your help. Your answer is very helpful
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:06 AM
  • I'm having some trouble with this solution. 

Maybe it's the JRE 1.5.0_19 download. 

Is there a more direct link to that download, please?

Thanks,

Dave

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:51 AM
  • Thanks Thanks a Tonn may god bless you......a lot a lot

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:15 PM
    • Edited by Eddy555 Friday, May 11, 2012 12:06 PM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 12:06 PM
  • Hi all.

I finally solved all problems in 2007a (32bit) on windows7.

+ Running with Windows 7 Aero Theme

-> JRE 1.5.0_22

+ Help browser crash and some Java related error

-> "com.mathworks.mlwidgets.html.HTMLRenderer.setUseWebRenderer(false);"

Thanks all. (^^)
    • Edited by s.sekino Friday, December 06, 2013 10:18 AM
    Friday, December 06, 2013 10:16 AM