none
Even after deleting a user account from a Windows 7 Ultimate machine, the files and registry entry still remains.

Question

• I have a Win7 Ultimate machine joined to domain. I removed the user profile from the client machine directly using Control Panel -> Users -> Manage user Accounts -> Remove the user. After deleting the profile, I could still see the c:\users\deleteduser folder and also the registry entry remains in the ProfileList "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList". But note I am not able to login as the deleted user, which is fine.
    • Edited by rahul sundar Tuesday, May 07, 2013 11:40 AM modified the question to clear the confusion
    Monday, May 06, 2013 2:26 PM

All replies

• What actually is your question?
    Monday, May 06, 2013 4:49 PM
  • I have a Win7 Ultimate machine joined to domain. I removed the user profile from the client machine directly using Control Panel -> Users -> Manage user Accounts -> Remove the user. After deleting the profile, I could still see the c:\users\deleteduser folder and also the registry entry remains in the ProfileList "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList". But note I am not able to login as the deleted user, which is fine.
    Have you checked this after a reboot?
    Monday, May 06, 2013 6:13 PM
  • To my knowledge they still remain after the removal of the user.
    Monday, May 06, 2013 11:06 PM

Have you checked this after a reboot?

Yes I have tried rebooting but still the files remain.
    Tuesday, May 07, 2013 7:09 AM
  • I want to know if this is expected behaviour that files and registry entries would still remain even after deleting a profile.
    Tuesday, May 07, 2013 7:12 AM
  • I checked it on msdn but I couldn't read find anywhere talking about such behaviour.

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 7:14 AM
  • Hi Rahul sundar

The registry entry won’t be deleted when you remove the user from Manage User Accounts and delete the user profile. But you can delete it manually.

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 8:06 AM
  • Ah.. finally got it. Deleting a User Account is different from deleting a User Profile. Deleting a User Account will only remove the user and it has nothing to do with user profile. If we want to explicitly delete User Profile then goto MyComputer->Properties->Advanced Settings-> UserProfiles -> Delete. This removes the files and registry entries.
    Tuesday, May 07, 2013 8:27 AM