none
No C: Drive access in Windows 8

Question

• I have just bought a new computer with windows 8. It is the first one that I have ever owned. Out of the box I installed Classic Shell and Eset internet security. I remove MacAfee before installing Eset.

Now I do not have access to read my C: drive or edit anything about it. I do not have administrator priveledges on anything. I cannot "Run as Administrator with windows or at the command prompt. Eset tech support says I have to uninstall before they can troubleshoot. However, I can't uninstall it if the computer cannot read the installer file.

I got the operating system disc from Dell and tried to reinstall the operating system, but it gets to a certain point and says the system is missing a driver. I put in the driver disk, but the drivers are not found on the disk.

I can't open regedit.

Can anyone help?

Saturday, February 02, 2013 2:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• I believe if you hold the ctrl key and keep tapping the f11 key at start up you can set the computer back to factory specs and start over.
    Saturday, February 02, 2013 2:58 PM
  • Not being able to access drive C after installing ESet 6 (more specifically, losing ALL administrator rights) is the result of opting for ESET "anti-theft protection" - DO NOT CHOOSE TO INSTALL THE ANTI-THEFT option.  (also, I would skip their "do you want to participate and send us info" option, it caused my XP box to hang until I uninstalled and reinstalled ESet without it).

ESet says this is a problem with Dell computers - Mine was a Dell Laptop running Windows 8.

TO FIX THIS, you need to call ESet support:  1-866-343-3738, they will need you to load a program to let them remotely control your computer.  The ESet person will download a utility they need, poke around a bit and then will need you to reboot in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING.

To reboot Windows 8 in SAFE MODE, WITH NETWORKING (my laptop could not use WiFi in safe mode, I had to physically plug in a network cable to get network in safe mode)

HERE ARE THE STEPS TO BOOT IN SAFE MODE in Windows 8:

- click on the settings icon (the gear on the right)

- Press AND HOLD the SHIFT KEY, and click on Power (with the shift key still pressed down)

- Press AND HOLD the SHIFT KEY, and click on Restart (with the shift key still pressed down)

- You will get a screen with 5 choices - choose "TROUBLE SHOOT"

- You will get another screen with 5 choices, choose "ADVANCED"

- You will get a screen with several options, choose #5:  "5) SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING"

- Plug a physical network cable into your PC, log on normally, and the Eset program will resume and allow the ESet person to continue their work.

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 9:53 PM