none
Uninstall Applications as an Administrator

Question

• I am looking for some easy steps to uninstall applications from a Power User desktop session. At this time, I have to log off the user then log into the workstation with an administrator account. Is there a way to run the programs and features program as an administrator?

Tricks I have tried so far:

Open a command prompt using "Run As". Then type in "appwiz.cpl" - No Luck
    Navigate to the "appwiz.cpl" director, right click + shift = "Run As" - No Luck

Jason

Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the update.

However, would you please let us know the detailed steps you did.

Also, please make sure that you have turned on UAC.

Meanwhile, based on my test, the whole process should be the following:

Login with a standard domain account and with UAC on, when we run

runas /user:domain admin@domain “control appwiz.cpl”

from a command prompt, Programs and Features will popup.

Then, when we would like to uninstall a program, a UAC prompt will pop up to let us input an administrator level account and password. After that, we can uninstall a program successfully.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 3:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my knowledge, firstly, please make sure that UAC is turned on.

Then, please try the following:

1. Run the following command-line:

runas /user:domain admin@domian name "control appwiz.cpl"

2. Uninstall a program using Windows Instrumentation command-line interface (WMIC). When login as a standard user, we only need to run command prompt as administrator.

More information:

Windows: Uninstall an Application from the Command Line

Wmic

WMIC Best practices

Application>Program>Uninstall>Command-Line: Can you use a simple command-line action to uninstall a program?

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

Friday, October 19, 2012 9:41 AM
  • We have the UAC disabled for all users. Does this have to be enabled for the explained procedure to work?

Jason

Friday, October 19, 2012 1:51 PM
  • We have the UAC disabled for all users. Does this have to be enabled for the explained procedure to work?

Jason

Disabling the UAC can simplify things for your users as they will know the limits to what they can do and help you install/update/uninstall items and can be a helper when it comes to malware infections.  You could also consider the switch user option as it keeps your user logged in, but opens another session for the admin account to do work in.  Applications that require a restart maybe have to wait till the end of the day, but otherwise, you can just pop in and out of computer and only leave a trace that the computer timed out and the user has to log in again.

Hope that helps!

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, October 19, 2012 3:53 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Based on my knowledge, we may have to turn on UAC. However, you can have a test first.

More information about UAC:

User Account Control Overview for IT Professionals

User Account Control Step-by-Step Guide

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

Saturday, October 20, 2012 1:01 PM
  • Jeremy,

I am still having issues with uninstalling an application after going through the RUNAs command.

Error Message:

Error 1730. You must be an administrator to remove this application. To remove this application, you can log on as an Administrator, or contact your technical support group for assistance.

Jason

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 8:31 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the update.

However, would you please let us know the detailed steps you did.

Also, please make sure that you have turned on UAC.

Meanwhile, based on my test, the whole process should be the following:

Login with a standard domain account and with UAC on, when we run

runas /user:domain admin@domain “control appwiz.cpl”

from a command prompt, Programs and Features will popup.

Then, when we would like to uninstall a program, a UAC prompt will pop up to let us input an administrator level account and password. After that, we can uninstall a program successfully.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 3:23 AM