none
Windows 7 64-bit hangs/freezes on file transfers

Question

• I've been dealing with this issue for about a year now.  I've searched the internet and found dozens of forums where people have had the same problem, but no one seems to know how to fix it, or what the real cause is.  I've tried innumerable solutions, I can't even remember them all.  I'm making one last ditch effort to solve this before I start replacing hardware, which I don't want to do because I'm broke.
    The problem is that randomly Windows 7 64-bit will hang and/or freeze during file transfers.  It can be something as simple as browsing the internet (small cache files), moving files on the computer, or downloading huge multi-gigabyte files.  The OS will hang, and programs will start to become unresponsive ("Not Responding").  If I open the Resource Monitor, there is 100% Highest Active Time (the blue line) on the drives doing the file transfer, but hardly any actual disk activity at all.  The disk activity LED light is on 100%, but nothing is happening.  In 
    fact, the file transfer pauses during this time.  The mouse is still responsive, and some windows are still active, but start to go unresponsive as you click on them.  After anywhere from 1-3 minutes the computer will go back to normal, the blue line in the Resource Monitor drops back down, and file transfer activity resumes as if nothing happened.  Occasionally this will cause the OS to freeze, and the only solution is to reboot.
    That's the gist of it.  I've tried all sorts of things to remedy this, but nothing seems to work.  Please let me know what to try, and I'll let you know if I've done it, or give it a go.
    Here are the specs of my machine:
    • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (clean install)
    • ASUS P6T Motherboard (latest 1408 BIOS)
    • Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz Quad-Core Processor
    • CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit TR3X6G1600C9
    • EVGA 512-P3-N954-TR GeForce 9500 GT 512MB PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card (latest nVidia drivers)
    • Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2XXX 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (latest firmware)
    • LG DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS50
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Please, if you know what might be the issue here, let me know.  I think my next step if I don't find a solution is to replace the motherboard (bad disk controllers?).
    Friday, March 18, 2011 2:08 PM

Answers

• Contacting Intel?  No.  Do you think they'd give me the time of day?
    try it. tell them you have freezes if you use the SSD and no freezes if you use a traditional HDD.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 1:58 PM

All replies

• Do you run the SSD in AHCI or IDE mode?

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Friday, March 18, 2011 2:27 PM
  • I am having  the exact same problem. In my case the freeze occurs with Windows Media Center while recording or playing videos. I have observed the same symptoms in the resource monitor that you described. My system specs are similar: EVGA P55 SLI motherboard, BIOS current, 4GB memory, i7-860, etc. This is a very, very frustrating problem!
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 3:17 AM
  • Hi mckeeh3,

Please start a new topic and explain what kind of issue you encounter.

Regarding the issue Hesadanza encounter, you may try the suggestion provide by Andre. Please also try to update the driver of SSD for a test.

Thanks for understanding.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 8:13 AM
  • The SSD is running in AHCI mode, which is the preferable mode from what I understand.  I've replaced the Intel SSD with a Seagate 1TB HDD a few days ago, and I haven't had a problem since.  Could it be that the SSD was running into some sort of caching read/write problem?
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:27 PM
  • Andre didn't provide a suggestion, he was just asking a question.  The SSD is updated with the latest Intel drivers and firmware.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:28 PM
  • Hi,

make 2 xperf trace [1] to diagnostic HDD activity (one with the SSD and 1 with the HDD). You can find an alternative download link for xperf/WPT in my topic on msfn [2]. Please upload the XperfSlowIOcir.etl to your SkyDrive [3] and post a link here.

I'll take a look at both and try to figure out the difference.

André

[1] http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ntdebugging/archive/2009/08/17/xperf-to-investigate-slow-i-o-issues.aspx
    [2] http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=146919
    [3] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:33 PM
  • I think I have solved my problem. It looks like the issue was caused by a disk drive. The fix was to reconfigure Windows Media Center to record TV to another disk drive. My PC has 5 disk drives installed, 4 are Seagate disks and 1 Western Digital. I had WMC configured to record to the Western Digital disk. When I switched to a Seagate disk the random freezes stopped. 

I ran tests all day yesterday playing live TV and monitoring the disk activity with HD Tune. When recording to the Western Digital disk there were 1 or 2 freezes every 30 minutes (again the freezes were exactly like those described by Hesadanza). After switching to a Seagate disk no more freezes.

I also noticed the the HD Tune disk activity monitor showed that the disk activity on the Seagate disk was much smoother than on the Western Digital disk, the graph over time was relatively choppy on the Western Digital disk and fairly smooth on the Seagate disk. 

The Western Digital disk is a Caviar Green / GP WDC WD10EADS-00M2B0, firmware 01.00A01. I still need to check if there is newer version of the firmware available. 

This is the second time I have been burned by a Western Digital disk. A few years ago I built another PC that included a mix of Western Digital and Seagate disk drives. The system was initially experiencing random BSOD, once every day or so. I eventually isolated the problem to the Wester Digital disk. Once I removed the disk from the system no more BSOD. I know that Western Digital sells a lot of disk drives but my luck with them has not been very good to date.

BTW - I ran benchmarks in HD Tune on all of the disks installed in this PC. All of the Seagate disks out performed the Western Digital disk by about 10 to 20 MB/sec. The Western Digital disk had an averaged 80 MB/sec while the Seagate disks averaged from a low of 90 to a high of 108 MB/sec.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 11:20 AM
  • Other users also said that the WD drives causes hangs, freezes.

Nice to hear that you fixed it :)

@Hesadanza Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals

have you tried to contact Intel?

Thursday, March 24, 2011 1:02 PM
  • @mckeeh3  glad you solved your problem.  My issue is with an Intel SSD however.
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 1:50 PM
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 1:51 PM
    try it. tell them you have freezes if you use the SSD and no freezes if you use a traditional HDD.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 1:58 PM
  • Hello,

I am facing similar problem. My Systems hangs after 10 mins of Restart or If I try to move big files. HDD LED lights up forever & everything freezes except mouse arrow. System responces are tooooo slow. If you show some patience, it works again like nothing happened.

Please help me find a solution!!

System configuration:

Laptop model: SAMSUNG RV411

Windows 7 Home basic 64 bit, i3 M370 2.40 GHz, 4GBRAM, NVIDIA GEFORCE 315M GPU,

Saturday, October 05, 2013 11:16 AM