none
Trustedinstaller.exe

Question

• I deleted the trustedinstaller.exe in a scan by avast antiviurs software. Apparently it thought it was a virus and turned out it wasn't. My question is how do I reinstall the trustedinstaller.exe as now I am unalble to get windows updates. I have Vista 64 bit OS sp 1

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 1:44 AM

Answers

• Hello ARM11,
    Meant to type dir.
    So you need to take ownership of the folder, then you need to set permissions to be able to replace the file.
    something like this:

a.     At an elevated command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

i.    takeown /f Path_And_File_Name

ii.    For example, type takeown /f c:\windows\servicing

b.     Type the following command, and then press ENTER to grant administrators full access to the file:

i.    icacls Path_And_File_Name /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F

For example, type icacls c:\windows\servicing /grant administrators:F.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 2:36 AM
  • Hello,

According to the problem description, I know that the trustedinstaller.exe might be deleted by Avast antivirus software by mistake, which caused you are unable to check for update. We might perform the following steps to narrow down the issue.

System Restore

Note: If you have some important documents or files which were created after the restore point, please backup data first if necessary.

1.      Before we start, please close all open files and close all open programs.

2.      Click Start; click All Programs; click Accessories; click System Tools; and click System Restore. The System Restore user interface should appear.

3.      Click Next.

4.      From the restore points available, select an appropriate restore point and click Next.

5.      Click Next again. The restore process will run and your system will restart automatically.

For more information, please refer to the article below:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/9f6d755a-74bb-4a7d-a625-d762dd8e79e51033.mspx

Run System File Checker

Meanwhile, if you don’t think that it is troublesome to format the computer and rebuild the system, I suggest reinstalling Windows Vista should be a best way to resolve such a problem. However, before doing that, we might also try the following instructions to run the System File Checker, which might help to recover the corruption of the systems files.

1. Click Start button, copy and paste "cmd" (without the quotation marks); in the above Programs list, right-click the cmd icon and select Run as administrator.

2. In the Command window, type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

NOTE: You may be prompted for your Windows vista CD-ROM. Insert the CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then click Retry.

3. After the scan has completed, remove the Windows Vista CD-ROM from the disc drive and then restart your computer.

In-place Upgrade Installation

Technically, you won’t lose any data to take an In-place Upgrade Installation. In order to avoid any unexpected problem, I suggest you backup your data before taking In-place Upgrade Installation.

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

• If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears.

Click Install now.

• If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, type (Drive: )\setup.exe in the Start Search box, and then click Enter.

Note: (Drive: ) is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

Installing and reinstalling Windows

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/e77344fa-e978-464c-953e-eba44f0522671033.mspx

Good luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, July 20, 2009 3:56 AM
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 6:04 AM

All replies

• Hello Arm11,
    Open an elevated cmd prompt.
    Change directory to c:\windows,
    do a "ir trustedinstaller.exe /s /a"
    Look for the most recent copy.
    There should be copy in the \windows\servicing folder

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 1:54 AM
  • thanks for the quick response

it says ir is not a recognized command

there is no files of trustedinstaller.exe on my computer, Avast cleaned house; not in the windows/servicing, windows/winsxs folders. I did a complete search and nothing turned up. I do have a second computer with Vista ultimate 32 os and that has trustedinstaller and associated files in those directories. I copied the trustedintaller.exe from that machine to this one but was denied access to copy it to the window/servicing folder and other directories.
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 2:15 AM
  • Hello ARM11,
    Meant to type dir.
    So you need to take ownership of the folder, then you need to set permissions to be able to replace the file.
    something like this:

a.     At an elevated command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

b.     Type the following command, and then press ENTER to grant administrators full access to the file:

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 2:36 AM
  • Hello,

According to the problem description, I know that the trustedinstaller.exe might be deleted by Avast antivirus software by mistake, which caused you are unable to check for update. We might perform the following steps to narrow down the issue.

System Restore

Note: If you have some important documents or files which were created after the restore point, please backup data first if necessary.

1.      Before we start, please close all open files and close all open programs.

2.      Click Start; click All Programs; click Accessories; click System Tools; and click System Restore. The System Restore user interface should appear.

3.      Click Next.

4.      From the restore points available, select an appropriate restore point and click Next.

5.      Click Next again. The restore process will run and your system will restart automatically.

For more information, please refer to the article below:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/9f6d755a-74bb-4a7d-a625-d762dd8e79e51033.mspx

Run System File Checker

Meanwhile, if you don’t think that it is troublesome to format the computer and rebuild the system, I suggest reinstalling Windows Vista should be a best way to resolve such a problem. However, before doing that, we might also try the following instructions to run the System File Checker, which might help to recover the corruption of the systems files.

1. Click Start button, copy and paste "cmd" (without the quotation marks); in the above Programs list, right-click the cmd icon and select Run as administrator.

2. In the Command window, type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

NOTE: You may be prompted for your Windows vista CD-ROM. Insert the CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then click Retry.

3. After the scan has completed, remove the Windows Vista CD-ROM from the disc drive and then restart your computer.

In-place Upgrade Installation

Technically, you won’t lose any data to take an In-place Upgrade Installation. In order to avoid any unexpected problem, I suggest you backup your data before taking In-place Upgrade Installation.

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

• If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears.

Click Install now.

• If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, type (Drive: )\setup.exe in the Start Search box, and then click Enter.

Note: (Drive: ) is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

Installing and reinstalling Windows

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/e77344fa-e978-464c-953e-eba44f0522671033.mspx

Good luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, July 20, 2009 3:56 AM
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 6:04 AM
  • Thanks Darrell

I got the file into the directory per your instructions. The next issue I just found is the trustedinstaller service did not start. I tried to run the sfc /scannow to repair system file but it through me a message of windows resource protection could not start the repair service. I am guessing the installer didn't run because the registry has been changed. I would appreciate any additional advice.

Al
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 12:38 AM
  • Hello Arm11,
    Did you try running ( from an elevated cmd prompt)
    Net start trustedinstaller
    or
    Net start "Windows Modules Installer"

Do you get any errors when running this?

SFC should try to start trustedinstaller, so trustedinstaller cannot run, I don't think SFC will work.
    You may be missing more files than trustedinstaller.

Wednesday, July 08, 2009 9:51 PM
  • hello darrell

I ran the net start trusted installer in elevated mode and reports an error of the service name is invalid for this service. I did notice on the security tab of the properties for the windows/service directory there is an unknown account followed by a bunch of letters and numbers having full permissions to the directory.  I checked on my other machine as to who the users should be. The one that is missing on my computer is and I suspect to be the unkown account is trustedinstaller. I tried to add that account to that directory but was unable to find the object. Is there a way to reenable this user account.

PS Windows Module Installer service is not listed in the services list at all. SFC will not run unless it is loaded apparently. I tried regsvr32 and still nothing on elevated prompts

Thanks
    Al
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 2:10 AM
  • Hello Arm11,
    did you run net start trusted installer or net start trustedinstaller?
    It's one word when listed as  a service.
    Windows Module Installer is trustedinstaller.

I am now wondering if the registry entries were removed as well?
    Open Regedit.
    What is under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TrustedInstaller?

Windows\service directory?  Not sure what this is in reference to?
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 5:21 PM
  • Hello Darrell

I did net start trustedinstaller with and without the .exe suffix, and still replied not a valid service

I was referring to the directory c:\windows\servicing in regards to the unkonw account under the security tab on the directory folder.

There is no registry entries under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TrustedInstaller. I suspect that avast cleaned those out. I am somewhat tempted to copy the registry settings off of my other computer which has same os but 32 bit version. Is it advisable?

Regards
    Al
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 1:19 AM
  • Hello Arm11,
    I would not export over the 32-bit version of the registry onto a 64-bit machine.  I wonder what else you could be missing as well.  You may want to try upgrading using the 64-bit media to make sure all the correct files are placed back on the system.  Without servicing we are rather limited in what we can do.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:23 PM
  • Hello ARM11,
    Meant to type dir.
    something like this:

Man you're a LIFF SAVER !

Avast deleted TrustedInstaller.exe on my Windows 7 X64

And every other application failed to install /updates and I wasted 3 of Work Hours trying to figure out how to Fix it as I was afraid reinstalling windows will mean reinstalling most of my work applications !

I did exactly what you said, found A trustedinstaller.exe and copied it back to its place ! everything seems to work perfectly including Windows Updates !

THANKS A LOT !

Wednesday, June 02, 2010 7:32 AM
  • thnx Darrell !!! :-)

you did the trick! excellent!

Thursday, June 24, 2010 11:13 PM
  • copying trustedinstaller.exe into the c:\windows\servicing directory fixed my windows update problem. To get around the permissions without having to change ownership, I reboted, pressed F8, and selected repair. after logging in as administrator, I used the command window to copy the file.

Thanks all

errold32
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 3:30 AM
  • THANKS darrell g! thank you so much. i followed your directions after downloading trustedinstaller.exe and my windows update is NOW working. im downloading over 73 updates! my windows updater hasnt worked for months, and this is a new laptop. new. ive only had it for a few months. ive been on dozens and dozens of forums on trying to solve the code error 80070002 when windows update couldnt search for updates. i tried everything on the microsoft website i deleted the update files i downloaded the hotfix and the microsoft update standalone and readiness tool i tried renaming the softwaredistribution folder i dont use mcafee or norton. but norton was already installed. but i never used it, ive always trusted avast so i deleted norton off and installed avast instead. i searched for any symantec or norton leftovers, there wasnt any so that wasnt the problem either. i tried redownloading service pack 1 thinking that the update had crapped out on updating it. wouldnt work. i manually downloaded a few updates that others had thought that had caused their own updater to stop functioning. still nothing worked. i dont use ccleaner either. i tried stopping my firewall. my avast protection. lowering the internet security level. these were all suggestions found on help forums. none helped for me but some helped others. then i found out about trustedinstaller in the services could be the problem. the trustedinstaller is key for the windows update. i checked mine and found it to be listed, but it said the file was missing. i then found this forum http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=42273.0 about avast deleting the trustedinstaller and figured that this was probally what had happened to me. i downloaded trustedinstaller from cazoza on the same site and followed darrells directions on this site and now its fixed and running and updating.
    Tuesday, October 05, 2010 4:23 AM
  • Can you help me in restoring the ownership to 'Trusted installer' on a folder? with commandline?

I tired "icacls "C:\Program files" /setowner "NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller" /t /c" but if failed with message "successfully processed 897 files, failed processing 1134 files" Thanks in advance.

Friday, December 27, 2013 7:05 AM
  • I was wondering if anyone would make a copy of trustedinstaller.exe and put it in a zip file and post a link to it somewhere like on mediafire so i can put it back in system32...

I would make a recovery disk and all but I cant get one...

I don't think it will matter where it comes from but just in case i have windows 8.1

i know i am probably trolling so... sorry in advance ummm... i was getting nervous because it raised my CPU usage and all so i deleted it plus it was not allowing me to install a program that i needed...

Thanks in advance!!!

Saturday, June 07, 2014 11:38 AM