none
Cannot Create Folder on Network Drive - Win 7 RC

Question

• I recently received an email with a PDF attachment in Microsoft Outlook 2007. I right clicked on the attachment and selected Save As and a Windows Computer dialog box open showing all of my drives. I want to save this attachment to a new folder on a network drive. I clicked on the drive, but do not see any way to create a new folder (New does not appear on the context menu, nor is there any other place where this option appears).

I tried the same think in VISTA on the same computer (dual boot Vista Home Premium and Win 7 RC) and there was the option to create a New Folder on the top of the dialog box.

I looked in Windows Computer - when I click on a local drive, there is a button for "New Folder" on the bar below the menu (New also appears when I right click on the drive in the context menu). When I click on a network (mapped) drive, neither of these are present.

Is there some reason why I do not have this ability in Windows 7?
    Windows 7 beta dual booting with VISTA Home Premium 2 GB memory 160 HD Gateway Laptop HP Officejet 6310 All-in One inkjet printer Verizon FIOS Internet Connection
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 3:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Please ensure that you logon Windows 7 with Administrator account and create the new folder.

2.    Check the permission of the share (mapped drive) from the host machine.

1)    Logon the computer which hosts the share.

2)    Check both Sharing and Security settings on all of the share folder’s properties, and make sure that you have assigned the “Full-Control” permissions to “Everyone”.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, July 10, 2009 11:02 AM
  • I tried this - all settings are correct on the host computer.

Funny - I have 4 drives mapped from this computer. Two are fine - I see the New Folder on top. The two which do not show this have both been defined as the "Documents" folders for two different users (one of whom is me). Could this make a difference? I have given myself full permissions and shares (in addition to Everyone) for the drive that is defined as my Documents.

Strange that this works on my Vista partition but not on my Win 7 one. Tried disconnecting an re-mapping. No difference.

Windows 7 beta dual booting with VISTA Home Premium 2 GB memory 160 HD Gateway Laptop HP Officejet 6310 All-in One inkjet printer Verizon FIOS Internet Connection
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 8:04 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem.

there's no "new folde'" button in the root folders of my network drives.
    in subfolders of these network drives, it's ok.

if I manually browse the entire network to go inside these folders, it works too.

it's only when they are mapped as network drives and network folders.

it's not permissions problem on the server. It works fine with XP and Vista.
    • Edited by gcu Monday, July 20, 2009 2:02 AM
    Monday, July 20, 2009 1:53 AM
  • Same issue here also. I have noticed that if you use the Documents link in the Libraries it works fine, but not when you access the network drive directly in explorer. Command Line also works just fine.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 2:34 AM
  • We are having the same issues here

we are running a whs with 4t in storage size and approx 8 separate shares all the shaves have the New in the right click menu but My document and Movies which documents has been mapped to z:\ and then the documents location in teh user folder has been relocated to z:\

dito for movies jsut seperate drive letter i can create new anything in a sub menu just not the root who do we talk to to get this elevated toa bug report

Steve R Gay, Jr.
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 8:48 AM
  • I am connecting to a NetApps NAS volume hidden share (i.e. \\servername\sharename$). I am unable to make a folder or create any file from explorer.exe, or able to save a file from any app (word, acrobat, excel, etc) at the root of this share.  I can make folders and create files within any of the folders that are already on the share.  I have tried mapping to many different drive letters, with the same outcome.

From the Windows 7 command line, I am able to create files (using copy con), and also make folders (using MD).

Glad to see that I am not the only one with this issue.

Someone suggested to assigned the “Full-Control” permissions to “Everyone” for Sharing and Security settings on all of the share folder’s properties .  I would think that this is poor security judgement.
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 8:02 PM
  • We also have this issue with WIN7.

If I map my F: to \\server\users\me I cannot create a new document or folder, or save anything directly in there.
    If I map my F: to \\server\users then browse to me I can create new folders or documents.

This problem does not exist when using a Vista/XP workstation logged in with the same credentials.

We've been trying to figure out a way around this problem for months now. Glad to see we are not alone.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 5:39 PM
  • Adding some more info on this:

Today we noticed some small difference with the users home folder directory.

User A - home folder has looks like normal. They have the New menu option when they right click.
    User B - home folder has what appears to be a white document on the right side. These people have no New menu option.

I deleted a 'B' user's home folder, let them log in. It created them with an 'A' user icon and they could now right click New.

Keep in mind any of the 'B' user people can go to any XP machine and work just fine. They can also use a DOS prompt to create a new folder/file in their directory, so it's just the Windows interface on 7 that's giving them problems.

I don't want to have to delete all of my user's accounts and copy their data. There has to be a fix for this.
    Monday, August 17, 2009 8:38 PM
  • This is still an ongoing issue. Has anyone found a fix?
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 4:26 PM
  • I had this problem as well when I was running Windows 7 RC, however I've now installed Windows 7 Enterprise RTM, and the problem has gone away.  The differences that I can think of:

1.  Windows 7 RTM vs. Windows 7 RC
    2.  RTM install is x64 vs, RC was x86
    3.  With the machine switch there is a new user profile being used.

Unfortunately I only have one machine with Windows 7 loaded so I can't really do much other testing, but it's some food for thought for you guys.  Can anyone confirm if they are having this issue with the RTM version?  How about the x64 version?

Troy.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:53 PM
  • I'm just a novice so my solution might not even address all the things here but on my desktop of a new machine I tried to create a new folder by right clicking, then new, then folder. Nothing happened. I've found that it actually did work, it just wasn't displayed. I right clicked again and hit refresh and voila, there it was. Hope this helps some.
    Friday, January 22, 2010 10:35 AM
  • It's a good way to create a folder.  But you still can't put anything in it and copy it to an external hard drive, as you could on XP.  Windows doesn't answer any of these questions except with an occasional suggestion that only a skilled IT person could follow.

They don't care.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:23 PM
  • We were pointed to this thread by a user when we experienced a similar issue. Here's how we fixed it:

Issue
    With drive mapped to \\server\share:
    - Could not create any files or folders in that mapped drive when using Windows 7. Error stated that the Drive:\ network location was not available. This issue did not occur with Windows XP or with Domain Admin rights.
    - Able to create files/folders when going directly to the share via UNC (ie. \\server\share)
    - Mapping to a subfolder within that share (ie. \\server\share\folder1) did not have the issue. This led us to believe that the parent folder the drive was mapped to was corrupt.
    - CPU was pegged at 100%.

Resolution
    The admin who noticed the CPU was at 100% utilization went ahead and rebooted the server. We took the opportunity to implement our theoretical fix as follows:
    - Renamed the corrupted folder. Created a new one with the original name.
    - Moved all files and folders into the new folder. This should preserve the ACL permissions. However, in our case, all ACL got reset (which shouldn't happen during a move within the same volume.) We suspect that this was caused by the corrupt parent folder.
    - Recreated/Re-applied all the ACL (NTFS permissions).
    - Issue resolved.

We are not sure what caused the CPU to be that busy, but do not believe that it contributed to the corrupt folder.

Hope this helps someone else.

• Edited by MSY_ Tuesday, November 01, 2011 12:51 AM
    Tuesday, November 01, 2011 12:26 AM