Vista failed to boot ntkrnlpa.exe 0xc0000428

Question

• I installed Vista Business edition 2 weeks ago and for some reason today it failed to boot.  The error I'm getting is:

Windows failed to start.  A recent hardware or software change might be the cause...

File: \Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
    Info: Windows cannot verify the digital signature of this file

Every time I try safe mode it goes back to this error screen.
    I tried Disable Driver signature enforcement but that goes to a quick flash of the Blue screen followed by an automatic reboot.
    Last known good configuration did nothing.

I tried to boot and repair from the Vista dvd but that was no help.

I'm out of options I can possibly choose from.

What could be the cause of this problem? I haven't installed any hardware recently.  Any suggestions how I can get my system up and running again?  Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated

Is it possible somehow my ntkrnlpa.exe file got corrupted?  

I guess the next thing I'm going to try is to boot the hard drive as a secondary hard drive in another system and overwrite that file.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm running a very basic system:
    AMD X2 +3800, Gigabyte GA-M51GM-S2G mobo with onboard video, 2GB Kingston DDR2667 PC25300 Ram, 100GB Maxtor IDE HD

Thursday, February 22, 2007 4:05 PM

Answers

• Using the Vista DVD to boot and choosing the Repair option is a helpful solution.

Let close this thread now.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 12:39 PM

All replies

• One of the reasons is the file corrupted by other application. Another reason can be hardware failure and it corrupt importance system files.
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 7:30 AM
  • I have this same problem, and am also running on a basic system similar to yours.  Is there any true resolution to it?  My machine is completely wiped out.  I've even tried to format the hard drive, with no luck!  I'm probably going to have to do a low-level format of the drive now because there seems to be no recovery from this problem, and the machine is completely destroyed. 

Not a good way to start out an install!

Sunday, March 18, 2007 4:44 PM
  • I just had this happen to me. Still don't know what caused it. What I was able to do though was if you boot up from the Vista Cd, it gives you the option to have the computer repaired. If you choose this option it will repair it, well it did for me. After the repair the computer booted up fine,however I did lose some data. Luckily I did a backup just last night so it wasn't too bad. Try that and good luck, this OS has been a nightmare since I installed it.

Chris77x wrote:

I installed Vista Business edition 2 weeks ago and for some reason today it failed to boot.  The error I'm getting is:

Windows failed to start.  A recent hardware or software change might be the cause...

File: \Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
    Info: Windows cannot verify the digital signature of this file

Every time I try safe mode it goes back to this error screen.
    I tried Disable Driver signature enforcement but that goes to a quick flash of the Blue screen followed by an automatic reboot.
    Last known good configuration did nothing.

I tried to boot and repair from the Vista dvd but that was no help.

I'm out of options I can possibly choose from.

What could be the cause of this problem? I haven't installed any hardware recently.  Any suggestions how I can get my system up and running again?  Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated

Is it possible somehow my ntkrnlpa.exe file got corrupted?  

I guess the next thing I'm going to try is to boot the hard drive as a secondary hard drive in another system and overwrite that file.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm running a very basic system:
    AMD X2 +3800, Gigabyte GA-M51GM-S2G mobo with onboard video, 2GB Kingston DDR2667 PC25300 Ram, 100GB Maxtor IDE HD

Monday, March 19, 2007 9:28 PM
  • Using the Vista DVD to boot and choosing the Repair option is a helpful solution.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 12:39 PM
  • It happened to me when I was upgrading memory. since then, Vista would never load successfully without Clearing the CMOS Data.

Look, I bought a copy of Windows Vista Home Premium upgrades. and I tried to use my upgrade DVD, but nothing worked ( the DVD can't even be read) I wonder how could I solve the problem????

Saturday, June 30, 2007 7:56 PM
  • Hi, after clearing the CMOS data, VIsta boot normally?

You are using XP and upgrade to Vista Home Premium?

If the DVD can't be read, the most possible reason is the fault of the DVD drive.

Did you try to read that VIsta DVD on other PC?

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 6:21 PM
  • Yes that is correct, except that my DVD drive is working just fine.

AMD3500+ 2.1GHz

2g Kingston DDR400 3200 Ram (4*512Mb)

DFI Lanparty nForce4 Ultra-D Mabo

ATIX1950XTX

Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Music

Seagate 500G SATA Hard Drive

I also found the system can't boot up normally when was changed back to Windows XP. I happen to have my original Windows XP O.S. CD, but system keeps crashing to blue screen during the set up. . .

Friday, July 06, 2007 1:29 PM
  •  RichardWu wrote:

Using the Vista DVD to boot and choosing the Repair option is a helpful solution.

Well, I am another person having the same problem. And using the Repair Option

from the Vista DVD failed to fix the problem. In my case it was:

"C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe"   that would not pass Signature Verification.

Hitting F8 on Startup and going to: "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement"

Allows the system to boot up normally. I am certain an NVidia Video Driver that I recently

installed is the culprit. BUT,  trying to use the Restore Point I made before installing the driver

did not work. ( from the Vista DVD) I still get the Digital Signature Error message for ntoskrnl.exe.

So, how to fix without doing a complete reinstall? (and loosing all my programs and settings)

If I try to install Vista again, it will not allow me to do an Upgrade Install, which is supposed to be

able to retain my programs and settings and not wipe out my hard drive. I only allows for a Clean Install.

Message in the setup box says to start Vista Install from within Windows!!  IF I reboot and do the

"Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" thing again and reinstall Vista from with Vista, will I loose

all my programs and Settings? Or will it just reinstall the basic system files and drivers?

I need to know before I jump off the deep end and do this.

thanks............

james

aka:Trucker

(sorry for re-opening an old thread, but, this one came up in a search and pretty well fits the problem

I am having)

EDIT: Managed to get back into Vista once again after F8 & "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement".  Started Vista install from there and was allowed

to do an "Upgrade Install" that is supposed to keep my programs and settings.

It spent the better part of an hour going thru the motions and rebooted. (I stepped away for a bit right before this)  This time it was hung on a missing or corrupt Winload  file!!  I hit ENTER again and selected F8 and the Disable Driver Signature Enforcement again and was back in Vista. (allowed me to log on as normal)

After it finished loading, I got a popup saying that Vista could not upgrade over this version of Windows so it was "Restored" back to it's original settings so I could continue to use it!!

This is so strange!!  Any suggestions for getting this going correctly again.

jaems

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 3:33 AM
  • I think BIOS update may required. Seem Vista got compatibility problem with your system.
    Sunday, July 22, 2007 1:25 PM
  • Richard, thanks for the suggestion. But, I found my problem, and I did not come back here and

post what it was, and I am sorry for not doing so.  The problem turned out to be my motherboard.

The problem kept getting worse, and even my hard drive with XP PRO would no longer boot either.

Finally, the motherboard failed completely.  I even replaced the BIOS battery in case it was the

problem......it wasn't. 

I have just recently replaced the motherboard and got my XP PRO drive installed (along with reinstalling

all my applications) and back working. I have not tried to boot up my Vista Ultimate hard drive yet.

I am waiting to purchase a new video card for the system before trying to get Vista going again.

I am hoping that Vista will install like XP can when a hard drive is moved to another system. In most

cases, when booting up from the XP install CD it will find the original XP install and offer to install over

it ( repair the found Windows installation) and then it will removed a lot of files and then re-install itself

with generic files and drivers for the different motherboard. Then, all you have to do is install the correct

motherboard drivers etc.  That has worked for me in the past and I'm hoping that Vista will do something

similar.  Otherwise, it's a full reinstall of Vista too.

Thanks again and sorry for not coming back and posting the actual problem and what I had to do to fix it.

james

aka:Trucker

Sunday, July 22, 2007 5:28 PM
  • That's ok! I just want to end this thread.

So, it's a hardware problem. thx for info!

Sunday, July 22, 2007 5:55 PM