none
Cannot Open Any Programs! Pretty Please HELP Me!

Question

• As of last night, my computer will no longer allow any programs to open.  This includes IE and all other web browsers.  There is no error message, the applications simply fail to open.  The hourglass appears as if a program is starting, but then it vanishes and the program never opens.

I tried system restore, and that did not help at all.  I am not very tech-savvy, so I am really hoping for a relatively non-complex solution.  I very much want to avoid complete system recovery.  I am wondering if re-installing Windows could fix this.  Also, if I do re-install Windows, will I lose my data?

Please help me.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    • Edited by Lerodemmy Friday, April 06, 2012 2:31 PM
    Friday, April 06, 2012 2:06 PM

Answers

• Judging by your posts and that you admit you are not tech-savvy, you may have to take your computer to a reputable repair shop or get one of your tech-savvy friends to investigate.  You issue can be fixed, but all instructions and descriptions will be quite involved and require some familiarity with certain terms and actions.  Doing any one thing in the wrong manner can place you in a worse state.
    Saturday, April 07, 2012 9:25 PM
  • Furthermore, you can also try to perform an in-place upgrade to fix system:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Performing a repair installation will not damage files and applications that are currently installed on your computer.<//span>

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:45 AM

All replies

• bump!
    Friday, April 06, 2012 4:13 PM
  • As of last night, my computer will no longer allow any programs to open.  This includes IE and all other web browsers.  There is no error message, the applications simply fail to open.  The hourglass appears as if a program is starting, but then it vanishes and the program never opens.

I tried system restore, and that did not help at all.  I am not very tech-savvy, so I am really hoping for a relatively non-complex solution.  I very much want to avoid complete system recovery.  I am wondering if re-installing Windows could fix this.  Also, if I do re-install Windows, will I lose my data?

Please help me.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Have you try open IE & program under safe mode & see how it goes? If still no go, doing a windows repair should do the trick as well as keep your data intact

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, April 06, 2012 4:38 PM
  • Have you try open IE & program under safe mode & see how it goes? If still no go, doing a windows repair should do the trick as well as keep your data intact

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

I tried safe mode many times and it was the same issue.  Can you tell me how to do a windows repair please?
    Friday, April 06, 2012 5:26 PM
  • have you checked any event logs for a possible explanation? Either the system log or the application log.

when the hourglass disappears, try checking wit task manager to see if perhaps the application is running in some kind of invisible mode.

Wait a minute, hour glass? are you running XP or Windows 7?

Al Dunbar

Saturday, April 07, 2012 8:05 PM
  • Judging by your posts and that you admit you are not tech-savvy, you may have to take your computer to a reputable repair shop or get one of your tech-savvy friends to investigate.  You issue can be fixed, but all instructions and descriptions will be quite involved and require some familiarity with certain terms and actions.  Doing any one thing in the wrong manner can place you in a worse state.
    Saturday, April 07, 2012 9:25 PM
  • Furthermore, you can also try to perform an in-place upgrade to fix system:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Performing a repair installation will not damage files and applications that are currently installed on your computer.<//span>

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:45 AM
  • i'd suggest booting in safe mode. Tap F8 right as your computer is turning on and keep tapping it until you see a black screen called the Advanced boot menu.  From here select Safe Mode with Networking.

Once you get into safe mode (will look like windows) go to this site and run a scan on your computer.

http://go.eset.com/us/online-scanner/run/

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:56 AM