none
These drivers are causing Windows to resume slowly

Question

• My computer is quite slow to start, it used to be a lot faster. Below is some information from a dialog box 
    (ATI Radeon Kernal Mode Driver
    atikmdag.sys
    ATI Radeion HD 2400)
    I am using a Dell inspiron 530S computer with Vista Home Premium SP2  The dialog comes up in the performance information and tools (advanced) section.  It also says "If you no longer use the device consider uninstalling it."
    I have tried updating the driver through Device Manager to no avail and I do not wish to remove the driver without more information
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 8:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

If a driver prevents your computer from turning on quickly, to resolve it, you should check with the manufacturer of the driver for an update. A newer version of the program might include a resolution to the problem.

I noticed that you can't update driver through Device Manager, thus let's try to manually install the latest driver. Based on my research, you can manually download the latest video driver from Dell or AMD website.

AMD display driver

Dell Video driver

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Manually install driver

==============

1)     Click the Start Button, type Device Manager in the search bar and press Enter. Click Continue if necessary.

2)     Expand the "Device Category name" category.

3)     Right click "Device Name" we are using and click Update Driver Software…

4)     Select the “Browse my computer for driver software” option.

5)     Click on the Browse button to locate the folder which includes the driver files.

6)     Click Next and follow the wizard to install the driver.

If it doesn't work, let's minimize some programs from startup and improve performance.

For more information, please visit the following website.

Stop a program from running automatically when Windows starts

Hope this helps. Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Nicholas LiModerator Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:43 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Terraka Tuesday, September 01, 2009 3:41 PM
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 8:36 AM