none
Trying to find a password of pfx file.

Question

• I am trying to use Advanced EFS Data Recovery from the Elecom Soft to recover data on Win 7 Professional PC. The PC did not work well and I re-install Win 7. There is Windows.old folder on C drive.

I encrypted some files and folders using the standard Windows function from property. Now, these files cannot read from newly installed Windows 7 Professional. I have been strugging with this PC from the end of 2011 and new year in 2012, I did not remember correctly, however, I am lucky to export pfx file to USB HDD. I hope this key will help with Adcanced EFS Data Recovery.

When I tried to add the information of the pfx file to the existing EFS related ley information, I "Add Certificate" and select the pfx file. However, I do not remember the password for this pfx file. I think I did not input any password for export of this pfx file on the USB HDD, if I remember correctly.

I hope someone will help me to find a password for the pfx file, or to find  a way to run Advanced EFS Data Recovery approproately. Thanks in advance for your help.

Yoshiaki Tsuzuki
    Sunday, January 08, 2012 5:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

There are no way that can get the password from a pfx file unless you remember it.

I suggest you restore previous Windows 7 from Windows.old folder, then decrypt these files to get access.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933168 

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:23 AM
  • Thank you Juke for your reply. Password recovery from pfx file would be time consuming and costly procedures. I am suprised to find the information in Japanese on your sugessted URL, it may because brouser which I use. I hope there will be a chance to restore the former environment including the encryption issues.

I welcome further advices from anyone who have experienced or experimented recovery of encrypted data/files from Windows.old folder restoration.

Yoshiaki Tsuzuki
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:03 AM
  • Hi,

Change your region setting on the right top of that website.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:27 AM
  • Thank you Juke, I found the function.
    Yoshiaki Tsuzuki
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 1:27 PM
  • For anyone who stumbles across this thread while looking for ways to recover pfx or p12 file passwords, I wrote a utility which helped me 'remember' a certificate password I had lost. In my case, I had remembered 90% of the password but had fat-fingered a character. If you need to attempt password recovery in a case where you know most of the password, my utility may be useful.

The utility is released Open Source (MIT License). You can find more information about it here (boredwookie.net). A download link to the source code is made available at the Bottom of the page.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 8:26 PM
  • Thank you very much, your program works great :)
    Wednesday, March 07, 2012 4:10 AM