Windows Vista 64 Bit and Microsoft Fingerprint Reader

Question

• When will Microsoft fingerprint reader have 64 bit support? If it ever will be supported?

Do not suggest me to change to 32 bit, because I am using more then 4GB Ram which 32 bit Vista does not support!

I gues no one at Microsoft can answer this!

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 9:03 AM

All replies

• I have a Microsoft keyboard with a built in fingerprint reader and I have been waiting for the drivers since the first beta release. I have gone so far as to purchase a Leveno USB fingerprint reader that allows you to log into Vista 64 bit but is useless to log onto other password protected sites like the Digital Persona software allows you to. Why can IBM (Leveno) make a device that will work with a 64 bit system but Microsoft can't? You can't even get a straight answer whether drivers are being created. I'm Pissed!
    Thursday, May 03, 2007 2:30 AM
  • Pardon the misspelled brand name... It is LENOVO!
    Thursday, May 03, 2007 2:41 AM
  • Don't know if this helps anyway, but I'm in the same position. I had XP32 and went to XP64 and the fingerprint reader went bye bye. I am assuming that they will have both the XP and Vista 64 bit ready at the same time. I sent in a support question and got this reply:

Hello Will,

Thank you for using Microsoft Hardware Online Support.

My name is Rhonda and I will be helping you today with Fingerprint reader issue.

As I understand, you want to know when the software for Windows XP 64-Bit will be available.

Will, we have the software for Windows XP 32 bit and are in the process of developing the software for XP 64 bit also. Please be assured that this issue is of high priority to us. We have our research team working on it. But we are not aware when the software will be released. As soon as it is released, it will be posted on our web site for download.

I do understand the inconvenience being caused due to this and sincerely apologize for it.

Will, if you have any further questions or need clarifications, please let me know, I will be glad to assist you further.

Regards,

Rhonda

Microsoft Product Support Services
    Monday, May 14, 2007 12:02 AM
  • Thank you for the help Will, when did you get this response from Microsoft?

Monday, May 14, 2007 7:50 AM
  • About a month ago.
    Monday, May 14, 2007 1:09 PM
  • !bump!

Anyone come across these yet?

Tuesday, October 02, 2007 9:06 PM
  • Try this....

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=18cb8e7f-ecd3-424d-870c-32288020f788

................IntelliType Pro software even offers extended application support, as well as biometrics support for advanced identity management............

Supported Windows XP 64-bit

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 7:20 PM
  •  

Thanks Ted,

I downloaded that file IP64Eng.exe on the 24th Sept and it did not work as it wanted to uninstall 'other' conflicting hardware/drivers which would presumably be the software and drivers for my Logitech Wireless MX Revolution Mouse and try to install the software and drivers for the Wireless Desktop/Mouse components of that kit.

I tried to extract that archive to just get the 64Bit Fingerprint Drivers/INF's but had no luck.

Thanks for giving it a try for us though Ted.

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 2:47 AM
  •  

This is starting to get truly ridiculous now! Where is the product manager for the Fingerprint Reader! Why does he not come and explain personally what the holdup is!

I feel we have done our part by pioneering there 64bit revolution, what are they doing for us???

For me now it's almost a morning ritual/obsession to scour the internet to see if there is Vista 64bit driver! I have Vista 64bit drivers for my Webcam, printer, Nokia software and everything else I would like to use, the big exception being the Fingerprint Reader in the Keyboard. Seriously, its driving me crazy!

I also don't want to go back to 32bit Vista, I have 16gig Ram in my computer.
    Friday, October 19, 2007 2:19 AM
  • Well here is the HCL page for the FP Reader, it shows that it is 'Logo Certified' for x86 XP and that it is compatible for both x86 & x64 Vista.

So is it compatible for x86 & x64 Microsoft??? You say it is on your HCL??? In Vista x64 'Problems & Solutions' you offer up an answer to download the drivers for it from the website but there isn't any for x64. You offer a x86 solution for a x64 problem.

It is time you worked out yourselves MSFT if this device is compatible or isn't, everything tells us it is and yet there are no drivers for it so how can it be compatible?

Oh and where on the FP Product Page does it state that it DOESN'T work with x64, there is a 'Certified for Windows Vista Logo' on the page? And yet none of this certification is listed on the HCL page.... So where is the proof from the product page on the HCL that this device is certified or is it just false advertising....

<rant end for now>

Friday, October 19, 2007 2:46 AM
  • After waiting nearly a year for the Windows Vista 64 bit drivers for the fingerprint reader on my Microsoft Keyboard with Fingerprint Reader, I finally gave up and purchased a UPEK EIKON fingerprint reader. It DOES work with the Vista 64 bit platform and it works really well. I am very disappointed with Microsoft for selling us a product and then not to provide drivers for it. If another company can build drivers for their device that work with 64 bit systems, why can't Microsoft and Digital Persona get together and finish theirs.

Friday, October 19, 2007 12:52 PM
  • c2cabco, Thank you for your post! I have ordered already! Its just too good of a device to go without! Shame my desktop will be more cluttered and there goes one more USB port. Hope you are listening MS!

Regards,

Ian

Saturday, October 20, 2007 8:33 PM
  •  

I bought yesterday the reader, becouse everywhere is information, that works with Windows Vista, and i'm very angry, that there are no information about issues with x64. It's wasted 40 €
    Saturday, October 20, 2007 9:09 PM
  • OleYek, Sorry to hear about your wasted 40 Euros.  Maybe we can pass the hat around and collect some money for the dev. team at MS. Times must be hard!

I really don't want to be so Cynical and just beat up MS, they have done a lot of great things, but come on guys. For a company your size this should be a no brainer. If you don't have the time, outsource the job! PLEASE! Even though I will be the third party reader, i still want the one in my keyboard to work!

Saturday, October 20, 2007 9:17 PM
  • I like that reader - I may go ahead and order one. I've had to endure the last six months of waiting for MS to get it's act together. It's unbelievable to me that they couldn't stick just one person on this to port 64 bit drivers for their reader. It's just more of the same old *** from MS that's becoming more prevalent. Whenever they move towards something else, more and more their support for their earlier products ends up just dropping off the radar. Their promises are also just a bunch of hot air.

Seeing this happen more and more make me want to move away from their hardware and software altogether.

Looking at the Upek, I like seeing this for driver support:

Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista 64bit, Windows server 2003, Windows Server 2003 64bit, Windows XP 64bit, Windows Vista 

MS should be just outright embarrassed!!!

Saturday, October 20, 2007 10:58 PM
  • I purchased the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader today and nowhere on the packaging do they state that the device is 32bit only. What a waste of time! I will continue to run Vista 64bit, but I will NOT buy another Microsoft piece of hardware. They don't even comply with their own logo standards, what a joke.
    Wednesday, October 24, 2007 7:54 PM
  • "What a shame" resumes this all.

I`ll never buy a microsoft hardware again, and as a reseller, will tell to all my employees to indicate other products than microsoft hardware (also the markup is higher!!!). Microsoft doesn't give us a s***.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 11:39 PM
  • I agree.  I just bought a M$ keyboard and mouse set with the FR built in.  Can't even use the damn thing.  I just want to go over and *** slap someone over there.  Move your a** M$ and support your own damn products for christs sake!!

Come on Google, make us an OS!!!

Monday, November 12, 2007 8:25 PM
  • I work for the Microsoft Hardware team.   The Fingerprint Reader software is not compatible with 64-bit, and since this is SKU is not broadly distributed and it is specifically targeted at consumer use at home we do not plan on offering software that is compatible with 64-bit.  Other Microsoft Hardware mice, keyboards, desktops, gaming and communications products that we are currently actively selling support 64-bit.  We apologize for any confusion this has caused.

Friday, November 16, 2007 12:48 AM
  • I work for the Microsoft Hardware team.   The Fingerprint Reader software is not compatible with 64-bit, and since this is SKU is not broadly distributed and it is specifically targeted at consumer use at home we do not plan on offering software that is compatible with 64-bit.  Other Microsoft Hardware mice, keyboards, desktops, gaming and communications products that we are currently actively selling support 64-bit.  We apologize for any confusion this has caused.

Friday, November 16, 2007 1:11 AM
  • So, basically Rhonda from MS Support Services who emailed me back in May saying they were working on the drivers - lied. Thank you for clearing that up.

"Targeted at consumer use at home (fingerprint reader)" and newer hardware "currently supporting 64bit" do not work together my friend. This means you recognize more and more home users moving to 64bit and yet you have no intention of doing good for those who purchased your product. Just how is it that you cannot make the current drivers and software compatible? Really, I'd like to know because in an email directly from MS, I was toldd "they were working on it".

Friday, November 16, 2007 2:11 AM
  • jlc3755, are you for real? Not being smart, but who says 64bit is not a consumer/home user product?  I am a home user and have been sold on the fact that 64 bit is going to offer many advantages and exploit my hardware better than what antiquated 32bit operating systems will and that everyone wants it to be the mainstream.

Sorry, I just don’t think you can get away with that throw away comment.

You are talking on behalf of MS now, so you are telling me that x64 is not considered mainstream and is only meant to be sold to heavy duty business uses!

Shouldn’t the Vista Ultimate Box come with a warning, “If you are a Home User, don’t buy this product because we will screw you!”

Also, who come up with the idea that business users would not want to use a finger print reader with a 64bit OS?  Sorry, but your post just does not make sense.  Also, if MS endorses your comments they should be a lot more vocal about it and tell us point blank! If they have and I missed it, I apologise but if not I stand by my comments.

One more small note, if users don’t need more than 4 gig of ram can you please convince all the developers out there to stop chewing up my Ram! Yes including all MS technologies. Also consumers should stop buying music and taking photos. Arh, you say only hard disk space, not correct the databases and software that manage these assets consume huge amounts of ram.   Anyway, I could go on forever but unfortunately my small voice will unlikely help.

I accept that I could be wrong in my conclusions, but it would be nice if someone could provide a concise valid reason why my thinking is wrong. I am open to be corrected.

Friday, November 16, 2007 2:29 AM
  • WHOA! WHOA!  Wait a minute. We have been told for months that the drivers were coming, and now a Rep from MS says they are not? OK, if this is final I think a refund is in order. I have a keyboard that is only half functional. I have been as patient as one could be. I have even purchased another fingerprint reader that DOES work with the 64 bit platform. Now I want my money back because you have ripped me off!!!

Friday, November 16, 2007 1:40 PM
  •  

I completely agree with you Ian.  I am a software developer and the only two regrets I have at the moment (now) is that I did not take up driver development, and that I develop my applications using Visual Studio 2005.  I am now embarrassed that I have supporting M$ for years using their technology, hardware, and software.  Let me just say that you have really let me down with that BS comment about no driver support.  I am respectfully requesting that you double check you facts and please reply in this forum with the contact you spoke to, responding definitively whether or not there is going to be 64-bit driver support for the reader.  I will tell you that the answer is going to affect not just myself but I am sure several in this forum and fellow developers. friends, and clients I deal with everyday.

Shawn

Friday, November 16, 2007 1:55 PM
  • Hi jlc3755

How can we know that this is a official statement from MS? I gues Microsoft does not care about this subject/product since there is no official replies.

If thats the case why should anyone buy MS hardware?

Friday, November 16, 2007 2:22 PM
  • I also stand with the comments above of fellow users to the reply here from 'JLC3755'.

I would ask that you 'JLC3755' update your profile here on TechNet to include your MSFT email address and back up your MSFT credentials as thus far you have only posted 2 items to the TechNet forums under this profile which are in fact duplicate posts and as far as I am concerned the anonymity of your profile here at TechNet does not give you or myself much faith that you are even a Microsoft Employee; This is more akin to a 'Slashdot' 'Anonymous Coward' post.

The one extra thing that I have noticed as per one of my previous posts in this thread in regard to the product page is that the product page now no longer has the 'Certified for Windows Vista Logo' associated on that page anymore and it has also been removed from the HCL link that I posted. So indeed MSFT have taken notice of either this thread or some other information and updated the product and HCL pages, so thus something has been happening in the background on this issue yet no respectful comments from Microsoft have ben issued on this matter.

I have attempted to use archive.org to snapshot back to previous versions of these pages and sadly I get no results showing the change in pages (Nor Yahoo, Google or MSN's web cache pages). I knew I should have taken screenshots of these pages. (Anyone else got any screenshots???)

I still have one screen shot that I have just taken here on my system that each time I logon to Windows Ultimate 64Bit Edition and am prompted to search for a driver for this product the 'Problem Reports & Resolutions' page still displays the following image ( http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/3225/msftfinerprintreaderet3.jpg ) pointing me to go to the downloads page and download the driver that does not exist.

This is extremely disappointing behaviour from MSFT and I hope that you are glad that I am typing this post on my Logitech Keyboard and using a Logitech Mouse. Now I just need to decide if I should speak to my local MSFT Office and get a refund on my MS Wireless Desktop 6000 Keyboard/Laser Mouse and FP Reader or do a creative online video showing why after 10+ years of using Microsoft Hardware (since the '96 MS IntelliMouse) exclusively I have now switched to the superior products offered by Logitech.

Regards,

Stephen Edgar

Saturday, November 24, 2007 2:18 AM
  • Is there Vista 64 driver and software available now?

Sunday, November 25, 2007 10:03 PM
  • Good post Netweb,

However, if I am not mistaken, aren't the Microsoft keyboard and mouse actually made by Logitech?

Monday, November 26, 2007 4:34 PM
  • This is incredible, i am waiting for a year to have my fingerprint reader working and still nothing. Always loved microsoft but with this and the "extras???" in windows update i am very angry. I want my money.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 1:14 AM
  • Can you tell me the brand name and model of the fingerprint reader that works on VISTA64

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 1:32 AM
  • I can't believe how this is dragging on.

I bought this Fingerprint Reader for my home 64-bit system on the basis of the "Vista-certified" logo on the packaging. Straight away I find there are no drivers available, so I wait, and wait, and wait.

Why can no-one from MS give a definitive answer on here? Should I wait or should I look elsewhere?

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 4:53 PM
  • I think that the best we can do is make us hear, i will post a message here almost every day because i waited for too long. I want our fingerprint readers working, don't make 64 bit operating systems if you can't offer a piece of quality.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 5:40 PM
  • Dear Microsoft,

At least one of your minions must monitor this thread.  Please have the decency to advise the people on this thread about the status of a 64-bit driver.  Even if there are no plans for the support, give us something so we know where to go from here.  This has been going on for far too long without response.  All we know difinitively is that there currently are no drivers. 

Shawn

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:20 PM
  • Check out my past posts concerning the fingerprint reader. The UPEK Icon works and it works well!

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 1:05 AM
  •  Why_did_I_go_64-bit? wrote:

I can't believe how this is dragging on.

I bought this Fingerprint Reader for my home 64-bit system on the basis of the "Vista-certified" logo on the packaging. Straight away I find there are no drivers available, so I wait, and wait, and wait.

Why can no-one from MS give a definitive answer on here? Should I wait or should I look elsewhere?

I too believed the "Vista-certified" logo.  I suppose the device has served its purpose -- getting me to shell out $40.  Somehow I always seem to regret it when I give M$ the benefit of the doubt.

Friday, December 07, 2007 1:45 AM
  • I've had the Optical Desktop with Fingerprint Reader for a couple of years, i was happy using it on my windows xp 32 operating system. Me being Me i thought i would save some money and build a new machine with windows vista ultimate 64bit thinking that 64bit was the future, since febuary i've been waiting for drivers. Tonight i've been looking everywhere, and i don't have any answers yet but if anyone is interested i'm not to sure if you guys have tried but i've been on this site, http://www.digitalpersona.com/products/dpFingKey.php now, trying to download all sorts of things to try and get somewhere, i got the function keys working thats not a problem, just my fingerprint reader which i thought was cool at the time is no longer cool. I can't give a definate answer yet because windows being windows its got problems uninstalling the digital persona password manager.... I'll post more when i can and in responce to the "Microsoft" post i've seen that post before its generic!
    Sunday, December 09, 2007 10:23 PM
  • Add me to the long list of people who got burned by Microsoft with One Care and now the Fingerprint Reader with Vista -64 bit.  I don't know who it was who dropped the ball on not specifying on the packaging that they were not compatible with x64, but there needs to be some kind of solution found one way or another, be it full refunds for people who purchased these products, or imagine this for a concept, actually fully supporting the products you manufacture and sell!!

I get really really tired of looking like an idiot for being an early adopter whenever I get burned like this.  Vista has been live in retail for a full year now...  The fact that this far out we are still having driver issues for basic hardware support is utterly pathetic.

Fix this or refund our money.

Now.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 2:31 PM
  • You hit the nail right on the head.  If they refuse to support their own equipment on their own operating systems, then why should the 3rd party vendors?  I have a 64 bit processor and figured that the 64 bit OS was the best way to go.  Apparently Microsoft isn't as committed to 64 bit as they would lead us to believe.  A lot of us who are using the 64 bit version are techies who help to lead the masses of users into these future technologies.  A bit difficult to do that when we can't even get our gear to work properly.

If anyone in upper management at Microsoft even bothers to read these posts, let alone respond to them, I have but one thing to say:  You should be ashamed that you can't support your own products. 

I don't think anyone of us can express just how disappointed we are in Microsoft over Vista 64 support.  Its just plain sad.

Sunday, December 23, 2007 5:42 AM
  •  

Here, here! ...well said Chuck.
    Thursday, December 27, 2007 9:20 PM
  •  

I received this email from Microsoft Hardware Support on April 24, 2006:

Hello Brian,

My name is Sameer, and I will be helping you today with Optical Desktop with Fingerprint Reader issue.

I understand from your mail that you want to install the software for the Fingerprint Reader on Windows XP PRO 64 bit operating system installed on your computer.

Brian, I can understand how difficult it is to work with the Fingerprint Reader without the necessary drivers and software.

Brian, please note that there will be a version of Digital Persona software compatible with the 64 bit version of windows by the end of May2006.

I also need to inform you that I have forwarded your complaint and you will be intimated about the software release

If you have any further questions or need clarifications, please let me know, I will be glad to assist you.

Best regards,

Sameer

http://support.microsoft.com/hardware

To provide additional feedback or to explore more support options, please visit the Microsoft Help and Support Website at:
    http://support.microsoft.com

Stay Safe, Stay Secure - visit the Microsoft Security Update site at <http://www.microsoft.com/protect>

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 2:54 PM
  • On April 24, 2006 I received this email...

Hello Brian,

My name is Sameer, and I will be helping you today with Optical Desktop with Fingerprint Reader issue.

I understand from your mail that you want to install the software for the Fingerprint Reader on Windows XP PRO 64 bit operating system installed on your computer.

Brian, I can understand how difficult it is to work with the Fingerprint Reader without the necessary drivers and software.

Brian, please note that there will be a version of Digital Persona software compatible with the 64 bit version of windows by the end of May2006.

I also need to inform you that I have forwarded your complaint and you will be intimated about the software release

If you have any further questions or need clarifications, please let me know, I will be glad to assist you.

Best regards,

Sameer

To provide additional feedback or to explore more support options, please visit the Microsoft Help and Support Website at:
    http://support.microsoft.com

Stay Safe, Stay Secure - visit the Microsoft Security Update site at <http://www.microsoft.com/protect>

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 2:56 PM
  • Hi Rhonda

Any idea when MS will be releasing drivers for XP 64 for the fingerprint reader ??

Thanks,
         Jon

Monday, January 14, 2008 5:14 AM
  • This has to be a joke of some kind?

How can Microsoft be the vanguard of the 64bit OS when it cannot even release 64bit drivers for its own hardware.

I've always supported MS down the years but im very angry with this situation.

1. The packaging shows Vista compatible as does the Hardware Compatibility List site that MS keeps (Supposedly) updated, its inexcusable to have this information out in the public when it is blatantly false.

--------------------------------------------

(After viewing this thread...)

2. This thread has been open for 8 months with no reply from Microsoft about the situation. That's just crazy, no information is worse than something even if its not the best news. At least that way we know someone is at least looking into it or if its time to go looking for another reader then so be it, yea ill be pissed a bit but ill be informed. This stance is just building resentment towards MS.

(no verifiable reply anyway: See post by jlc3755 on 16 Nov 2007, Page 2)

3. The emails from MS can only be taken at face value but the posters have no reason to lie. They are as interested in getting this, piece of vista verified hardware, working on.... vista.... as the rest of us. The emails state drivers by May 2006. I don't really need to comment on that one any further.

Positive customer opinion is something that takes years to build up but only a short time to destroy. Don't let that be the case here because I assure you I am very much considering staying away from MS hardware in future.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 5:58 PM
  • Is there a problem, perhaps, that the fingerprint reader has embedded 16- or 8-bit code? What is the issue? It must be insurmountable. Maybe there is a propietary stone wall? Do the laptops with readers built in work on 64-bit OS?

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 5:54 PM
  • Yes, laptops with built-in readers work with Vista x64.

Isn't anyone at Microsoft listening?  Where are the x64 drivers for this?  Do they not exist because MS doesn't want to pay DigitalPersona to license 64-bit drivers?

I want to upgrade to 64-bit so Windows will see all of my RAM.  However, I also want to keep my fingerprint reader!!!  I searched Google and found requests for 64-bit drivers dating back 2-years.  I'm wondering if I should wait a few more months or just give up on the MS Fingerprint Reader altogether.

Has anyone attempted to see if there is a way to modify the DigitalPersona U.are.U 4000B drivers to work?

Thursday, January 17, 2008 8:31 PM
  • The only way M$ ever listens is if you pay for their services (PPI-Pay Per Incident).  Even then they don't give a dam about you after you buy there product.  They are avoiding the support issue around the 64-bit drivers because they don't have a good enough answer.  Do you really believe they care about a few of us tekkies bitching on a forum about a driver.  Not really.  Go buy aother product (non M$) that supports it's hardware.  Be sure to read the package.  Also, because it has the Vista Certified logo doesn't mean sh*t.

I am already researching getting a Macboook Pro because I am sick and tired of M$ and their f***ing products, service packs, sh*tty hardware, non-existant technical support, and all-around attitude towards end-users.

We created a monster.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 8:43 PM
  •  

Thanks...I am nicely vented now. 
    Thursday, January 17, 2008 8:49 PM
  • I can understand your frustration. Lets hope we can get a response before windows 7 is released.
    Friday, January 18, 2008 5:09 PM
  •  

I'm not holding my breath.

Surely someone from Microsoft can say whether these drivers are actually in development? Don't they read these forums?

Saturday, January 19, 2008 2:22 PM
  • At this point it seems more likley they are avoiding this thread and focusing on the easy, copy/paste an answer, ones. Gives that warm fuzzy hatred towards MS.
    Saturday, January 19, 2008 3:39 PM
  • I too may be added to the list of frustrated people awaiting 64bit drivers.

I have a fairly large customer/client base who the majority of which use finger print readers for access to pcs/files etc.

I cannot endorse vista 64bit to any of them, in fact I am advising against it altogether.

In light of this I am constantly proding microsoft representatives on a proffesional level to try and resolve this issue.

It is a very poor show that microsoft dont support their own products (well nothing new there)

Will keep posting my progress, there may be some beta tests to be done.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 10:21 PM
  • Hi All

I think it’s crazy that Microsoft don’t even have a ETA for the 64 bit drivers.

I guess the only way to get them to react to this is to try to get newspaper and magazines write about this and then hopefully get someone’s attention at Microsoft that can do something about this.

Please everybody send e-mail’s to magazines and newspapers about this issue.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 11:22 PM
  •  Zeby wrote:

I too may be added to the list of frustrated people awaiting 64bit drivers.

I have a fairly large customer/client base who the majority of which use finger print readers for access to pcs/files etc.

I cannot endorse vista 64bit to any of them, in fact I am advising against it altogether.

In light of this I am constantly proding microsoft representatives on a proffesional level to try and resolve this issue.

It is a very poor show that microsoft dont support their own products (well nothing new there)

Will keep posting my progress, there may be some beta tests to be done.

Thats great Zeby lets hope on that level you can get headway.
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 2:32 PM
  • I'm upset about this too.

I brought it up back during the beta testing for Vista and poof nothing still.

I refuse to go back to x86 just to get it working, but at the same time I refuse to let the issue go.

Monday, January 28, 2008 10:57 PM
  • I think that this topic was nearly of the front page of the 'Windows Vista Hardware Forum' so I thought I would do my best to ensure it stays clearly visable to all those that come to the 'Windows Vista Hardware Forum' so that this topic isn't buried and stays current.

If you see the page starting to slip add a new constructive comment to the topic such as :-

Does anyone else notice the excellent effort that Lionel Chen - MSFT puts into this forum helping other users of Vista with hardware problems with detailed and fast responses to their questions, excellent work Lionel.

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 4:48 PM
  • Hey Stephen,

As you say, its important to keep this topic active while still relevent and constructive. Im not going to leave this alone and will regularly posting on this topic until it is delt with. I have my reader sitting infront of me every day, in a prime position, plugged into a USB port... but sadly missing that healthy red glow.

After buying a piece of Vista verified hardware it sure takes alot of effort and hassel to get it working on Vista Wink

But if thats what it takes...
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 3:52 PM
  • Haha, what kind of *** is this?!?!?. Microsoft never stops to surprise me.

Just bought a Fingerprint reader but I CANT USE IT WITH Vista X64!
    Its time for microsoft to react and release some drivers for x64. What is the problem? Why cant they program software that supports their own operatingsystem?

Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:44 PM
  • I too have my Microsoft Fingerprint reader sitting by my 64 bit Vista laptop wondering when Microsoft will support it. It states right on the box that it is Vista supported.

One would think that Microsoft would support what they sell.

I purchased it on line from HP. They did refund my purchase price and did not ask for it back, not worth the return hassle I guess plus since Microsoft is not supporting it on Vista they have a stock pile of worthless fingerprint readers and unhappy cutomers.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 11:51 PM
  • More people asking the question:

"What the hell Microsoft?"

Guys keep coming to this thread and as Stephen said its important to keep this thread active. I come here 2 times a day and put a post in when nessesary, and would be great if all you guys could do the same.

If we can keep this thread active and make this thread big enough then it cant be ignored for ANOTHER YEAR.
    Friday, February 01, 2008 2:53 PM
  •  know Microsoft monitors these threads. I have been following this discussion since day one. I have even posted my thoughts a couple of times.( I want to use the Fingerprint Reader on my keyboard!) I am informed of new threads by email. One day I clicked on the link in an email notice and received the following ...

"This Forums has already been merged into another forum or deleted, please see the notification in Announcement Forums."

I went seaching in forums under the thread title. I could not find it. I figured somehow they (MS) tied my screen name to a blacklist and I was no longer able to find or much less view the discussions. After my search, I still kept receiving email notices that posts to the original thread name were still being made. Today I used an alternate MSN login, and guess what I found.... the discussion and here I am again. Talk about dirty dealings.  Their time and efforts would be much better placed if they would finish and release the drivers instead of messing with readers of this discussion.

Friday, February 01, 2008 3:11 PM
  •  JTD22 wrote:

know Microsoft monitors these threads. I have been following this discussion since day one. I have even posted my thoughts a couple of times.( I want to use the Fingerprint Reader on my keyboard!) I am informed of new threads by email. One day I clicked on the link in an email notice and received the following ...

"This Forums has already been merged into another forum or deleted, please see the notification in Announcement Forums."

I went seaching in forums under the thread title. I could not find it. I figured somehow they (MS) tied my screen name to a blacklist and I was no longer able to find or much less view the discussions. After my search, I still kept receiving email notices that posts to the original thread name were still being made. Today I used an alternate MSN login, and guess what I found.... the discussion and here I am again. Talk about dirty dealings.  Their time and efforts would be much better placed if they would finish and release the drivers instead of messing with readers of this discussion.

Lets hope you get the chance to stick around longer this time mate. Nice to see you posting again.

I would hope theres some more innocent explination for what happened to you but at this stage it honestly would not suprise me if what you suspect rings true.

Why is it so hard to give us anwsers!
    Friday, February 01, 2008 3:52 PM
  • I think Microsoft is just being cheap.  The drivers/software was written by DigitalPersona so they probably just don't want to cough up how ever much DigitalPersona wants for a 64-bit update.

I could be wrong, but I think DigitalPersona does have x64 drivers for their version of the MS Fingerprint reader.  I was able to get the drivers themselves to install, but it won't do anything without software to control it, and DigitalPersona doesn't have their software available for download.

Friday, February 01, 2008 3:54 PM
  • First of all i would like to say Hello to everybody. i saw this thread about a month ago when i first bought my fingerless dust keeper ( fingerprint reader) and i was realy excited because i had just bought my new computer with vista x64 and i love my privacy, (who doesnt right?) so i come home get everything connected then i turn on my pc for the first time and wow everything works fine then comes installing all the drivers for the mouse, keyboard, fingerprint reader etc........ the automatic update couldnt find the fingerprint reader drivers so i was like whoa thats wierd so i go to the microsoft hardware website to download the drivers thinking confidently this is gonna work i mean its microsoft + microsoft = gotta work so i get to the downloads and i select fingerprint reader then os all it said was xp 32 bit, vista 32 bit only. i was reallly pissed because on the box it said vista supported also. seriously i felt like someone stole my $50. im sorry i wrote such a long post but just wanted to share my dramatic fingerprint reader incident. one more thing is that the place i bought this **** from would not refund my money. but i tried calling microsoft and i spoke with someone that thought i was lacking computer knowledge, i was telling him " sir there is no vista x64 drivers for the fingerprint reader is there an update on the way or what??" he said " sir i can help you install the drivers i will just have to remotely access your computer to proceed." i just hung up after that and threw the fingerprint reader in the shoes closet where it belongs. but im fully supporting this thread and i will keep it updated on what i know.

CHEERS!

come on microsoft people we love you guys but were just a little mad because we spent $50 on something that wont work on a $400 operating system. so please just do it and we promise to forget about this incident and still buy micro$oft labeled products that have false information on it.
    Sunday, February 03, 2008 11:57 AM
  •  JTD22 wrote:

The reason that this happened is that the TechNet (And MSDN) Forums have had some code updates and the 'Alert Me' icon to be notified of new items in a thread has gone all funky. So MSFT haven't done anything untoward to you on that front, they have done lots to us in regard to this thread though.

In the alerts email it gives you a link:-

http://forums.microsoft.com/forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2785316&SiteID=17

Which redirects to:-

http://forums.microsoft.com/Forums/Msgs/default.aspx?MessageID=60567&SiteID=1

Giving you the message that you state above. You are presented with a 'drop-down' list of forums to go to and the issue is that all those forum links are for the MSDN Forums and NOT the TechNet Forums.

If you are using Windows Live Alerts to stay subscibed to this or any other TechNet Forum threads you need to modify the URL that is sent by the Alerts Email and change 'forums' to 'technet' as per below and all is good.

http://forums.microsoft.com/forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2785316&SiteID=17 (Broken Link - Email)

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2785316&SiteID=17 (All Good)

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar

Sunday, February 03, 2008 2:00 PM
  • Hey Snake212, sorry to hear about your all to common story in reguards to the fingerprint reader. But gotta love the cherry on top with the tech support you got there. Nice to have u on board.

Thanks for the post
    Stephen,  at last this  thread is giving its posters some anwsers to its questions. The fact it happens to be from a non Microsoft employee should really suprise me more than it does.

Its amazing how much this is being ignored after being on the front page for so long. But on the front page it will stay.
    Sunday, February 03, 2008 7:39 PM
  • Thanks Charcobeans im glad to be on board just hope microsoft will come out with the software soon because i realy dont feel like returning this thing to microsoft. its just sad that nobody is saying if they are going to come out with it or not.
    Monday, February 04, 2008 3:48 AM
  •  

Well Vista SP1 has RTM'd and I left a comment on the team blog with the announcement.

And you have gone from 34,000 to 78,000 Drivers which is great so how about you add one more driver to that for your own Microsoft Fingerprint Reader on the x64 platform or at least give us an official reply in the TechNet forums as to why you won't write drivers for your own hardware.

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar

Monday, February 04, 2008 5:21 PM
  • This is my first post on the forums, I registered just because of this thread ... You guys are not without hope. There are a few things you can do. I would recommend doing the following, in the order I type them, and only IF they apply to your state (lemon law step ...):

1. File a police report, citing "bait and switch" tactic. This is where the product is advertised to do one thing, and it does not. (In this case, it is vista ready, but not supported by vista (64bit)). Write down the case number, you will need it in the following steps ...

2. File a complaint to your state's Attorney General. Provide them with all the details, including the police report number, and write down your case number. You will need that for the following steps ...

3. If your state's lemon law covers everything under the blue moon, and not just cars, file a complaint citing the lemon law. Make sure to include the police report number, and the AG's case ID. In other words, the hardware will not work as advertised. Write down the case number, you will need it in the following steps ....

4. File a complaint on the BBB. Include the case numbers you recieved from the first 3 steps, and write down the case number from the BBB.

Last but not least, do the following at the very, very last, and only IF Microsoft doesn't fix this problem.

5. File a charge back on your credit card, if you have used it. Provide them with all of your information, including various case numbers and contacts for the personnel assigned to those cases.

Below is optional:

Submit your story to the Consumerist Smile

----

All and all, it may seem like a lot of work and paperwork, but it truely isnt. Microsoft advertises a product (and even on the box) to state it works in Windows Vista. When it does not ....

Monday, February 04, 2008 9:38 PM
  • Thanks again stephen for sticking with this. It still shocks me the stance (or lack of) that Microsoft are taking on this.

JinxAK interesting steps uve listed there. Not sure how id go about it in my own country but still nice job posting them. I just hope they are not needed,
    Tuesday, February 05, 2008 1:06 AM
  • Ah, my apologies, I didn't think about out of US country Sad The above steps are actually very usefull for any company who puts customers in the same position, not just Microsoft Smile And no, I am not against Microsoft, I love Windows with a passion (as both a developer and a regular user).

I was just hoping to find a fingerprint reader to use to lock/secure my computer Smile Does anybody have a list (more then one) of  fingerprint readers that work with Vista 64bit?
    Tuesday, February 05, 2008 6:57 AM
  • There is progress!!!

I have had a positive email back from microsoft:

We are working with the third party that develops our Fingerprint Reader software (Digital Persona) to get the Fingerprint software upgraded to be 64-bit compatible. I don’t have an update yet as to exactly when that will happen but I expect it soon.

I will update you as I find out more

Will post when I have more info.

At least it is no longer a "no we are not going to write the drivers" any more

Keep posting everyone!!

The more the better

Zeby

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 2:51 PM
  • Thanks for the info Zeby, you will excuse me if I don't hold my breathe.  There was a post earlier that stated there would be driver support about a year and a half ago, followed by a *psyche!* 

So far the only useful things I have found for this reader is that I can now find my computer in the dark from the red glow.  After staring into the mesmerizing red light with the flicker I am pretty sure I have had a couple of siezures.  I have found another good use for it, I told my four-year-old that the red light on daddy's keyboard is a security device that montors when I am away and if anyone tampers with it they will get a zapped.  We have dubbed it "The All Seeing Red-Eye"  He hasn't touched it since.

By the way, with the new face-recongnition security stuff, who need a finger-print reader?  Come on M$, can you please release a face-recognition product that you don't support, that would be great.  Thanks.

Shawn

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 3:13 PM
  •  Shawn Trevellick wrote:

Thanks for the info Zeby, you will excuse me if I don't hold my breathe.  There was a post earlier that stated there would be driver support about a year and a half ago, followed by a *psyche!* 

So far the only useful things I have found for this reader is that I can now find my computer in the dark from the red glow.  After staring into the mesmerizing red light with the flicker I am pretty sure I have had a couple of siezures.  I have found another good use for it, I told my four-year-old that the red light on daddy's keyboard is a security device that montors when I am away and if anyone tampers with it they will get a zapped.  We have dubbed it "The All Seeing Red-Eye"  He hasn't touched it since.

By the way, with the new face-recongnition security stuff, who need a finger-print reader?  Come on M$, can you please release a face-recognition product that you don't support, that would be great.  Thanks.

Shawn

Im with you on this one, i like the info dont get me wrong and i hope its going to mean drivers in the near future. But id appreciate 2 simple things:

1. A post by a MS Employee on these forums

2. A timescale, its been 1 year now and for that reason i dont think this is an unreasonable request.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 2:15 AM
  •  

Thanks Zeby. It is good news and I would love to know the name of the person and division at Microsoft that it came from.

Anyway onto my other bits of news, firstly I posted above the comment I made to the Vista SP1 Announcement and was given a reply on the blog from Nick White.( who wrote the SP1 announcement post Corporate VP for Windows Product Management. - My bad Mike Nash wrote the article)

The post and comments are here:

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2008/02/04/announcing-the-rtm-of-windows-vista-sp1.aspx

My Post:

And you have gone from 34,000 to 78,000 Drivers which is great so how about you add one more driver to that for your own Microsoft Fingerprint Reader on the x64 platform or at least give us an official reply in the TechNet forums as to why you won't write drivers for your own hardware.

Nick's Post:

Hey Netweb:  The MS keyboard fingerprint reader was Certified for Windows XP but does not appear to have been Certified for Windows Vista yet; this may explain the lack of an x64 driver.  I've contacted the MS Hardware team and learned that they're in the process of getting the device in question logo certification, so when this occurs, the driver will be made available.

My Reply:

Nick,

I am and I can also speak on behalf I think of all the users regarding x64 drivers for the Fingerprint Reader that we are extremely grateful that you followed this up and many thanks.

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar

I am extremely grateful to Nick for doing this and I hope that the follow up was specifically the MS Fingerprint Reader and not the MS Keyboard Fingerprint reader though it is something and I will try and follow this up further with Nick directly via email.

The other email I sent yesterday was to the Microsoft Media Relations here in Australia and here is a copy of the email I have sent.

ATTN: Microsoft Media Relations

I am looking to find some accurate information from Microsoft regarding the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader that is listed in the 'Hardware Compatibility List' (HCL) and the fact that in this list the item is mentioned as being Windows Vista x64 Compatible with a note to check the manufacturers website for further details.  The product listing on the Microsoft Hardware site states at point 1 on the features that “Fingerprint Reader and Windows Vista help you get the most out of your PC by making features like parental controls more convenient.”

This device is still available for purchase at Australian retailers and other countries through sites such as Amazon.com where it is listed by Amazon that “95% of people buy the item featured on this page”

There is no clear indication to prospective purchasers of this device that drivers for the Windows Vista x64 platform do not exist and there are in fact currently only 32 Bit Drivers available for this device.

Could I please request to have clarification when the x64 Bit drivers will be made available for this device or when up to date information will be added/changed on the Microsoft HCL site and that the product information site for the Microsoft hardware is correctly labelled to state which operating systems are supported Windows XP, Windows Vista and also if the device is supported on 32 Bit and/or 64 Bit Windows Platforms.

If this device is to never have Windows Vista x64 Drivers developed for it may I please have the details for customers who have purchased this device either locally in Australia or the United States and Canada on the details needed to return the device for a full refund from Microsoft.

The information I receive regarding this I will be posting to the Microsoft TechNet forums to inform other customers of the outcome of this correspondence as many people who own this device have been asking for an answer from Microsoft since May 2007 and have yet to receive any form of answer from Microsoft as per the TechNet Hardware Forums discussion.

Regards,

Stephen Edgar

Now again I do thank Nick and will now just await a response from Microsoft to my email and take some benefit that I would say there sure are some Microsoft people reading and watching this thread and I would like to ask any Microsoft staff or media relations people that are veiwing this thread please add a comment or two even if you do not know anything at this stage as any information and communications would be extremely welcomed by all of us.

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 6:18 AM
  • I feel like we are getting somewhere. but on the microsoft fingerprint reader the standalone says in black that is vista supported nothing stating vista x64 it says vista in general which sucks. but i hope its true that microsoft is working on it with the third party.

CHEERS!!

and one more thing i think when they do come out with the drivers i might throw a party for all the other finger print reader users that waited so long. lool
    Friday, February 08, 2008 4:19 PM
  • I just bought the Microsoft fingerprint reader as well, as I have so many different logins for different things that it would make it much simpler.  I used to have the microspft keyboard that had it built in, but switched to a wireless keyboard/mouse awhile back.  I was moderately dissapointed that there isn't drivers for Vista x64 - even Creative finally got drivers that work for their soundblaster Fatal1ty cards...There are days I really consider going back to a 32bit os, and it's usually over simple silly things like driver support for a basic product...

Monday, February 11, 2008 2:02 AM
  • Rebranded?

I work in healthcare so I have no interest in anything but reducing the effort of multiple logins. (Lazy?)

My puzzle is solved - or so I think. I followed the suggestions about the 64bit UPEK reader- and bought one. The software with it worked OK but I could only log in within IE, for the most part. I wanted to use for Quicken, Exchange, Messenger, java scripted web site logins and so forth so the software with UPEK did not give me what I had with MS and their DP sofware.

The "old" Microsoft Fingerprint Reader with its Digital Persona software that I still use on 32bit Vista at another location is sweet.

I considered that the issue might be MS vs. Digital Persona - Maybe it is not MS who hasn't created the drivers... maybe they can't - legally or contracturely. THis is just my spectulation - not a fact, not even investigated. In fact, it is not relevant.

My next step was to get the new version of DP from DP - they support the UPEK. I did. It came with their reader - a U.are.U 4000B Reader.  Seems to resemble like the MS Reader - it uses the same or seemingly similar optical fingerprint scanning technology. I am now happy again. I have a reader just like the MS one and software just like I used before and both work on my 64bit VIsta. I can remove this thread from my alerts.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 2:03 AM
  • Well today is 7 days since sent my request to 'Microsoft Media Relations' here in Australia for information regarding this issue and thus far not even an acknowledgement of my email. Fair enough it might take a bit of time for the process to get from Australia to the folks in the US but I am disappointed that even Microsoft Australia's Media Relations department have not even acknowledged my email and sought to send me something to say 'We will look into this for you and get back to you when we have some more information'.

I think it might be time to step this process up further with some direct contacts to specific people in Microsoft and the Media Relations staff who I have a number of direct email addresses for though I thought it would be rude to be directly putting this onto individuals though it might be time to take these people to task and ensure some form of response.

You still watching Microsoft??? You have my details in many of your databases at Microsoft and with all the affiliations I have with your company a non-response is not acceptable.

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:00 PM
  • I feel that the time has come to go to various media outlets, papers/magazines about Microsfts un-willingness to support their own products.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:27 PM
  •  

I have just sent an email off to the Canadian Microsoft Support team...

RE: Vista 64-bit Driver Support

When will there be a driver available that supports the Microsoft Keyboard with Fingerprint Reader for Vista64???  I have been getting nothing but runaround answers for this question.  I, and many others, have been waiting for over a year now and frankly this is really aggrevating.

Please have the decency to reply, and not with a "canned" automated response.

Sincerely,

Shawn Trevellick

...I will keep you posted on the results.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:21 PM
  • This is what the reply was to me 4 days ago when i just about had it with microsoft. i wish somone would just give us the email addresses to the people up top so we can send them emails showing them how many people are realy frustrated with this issue.

Hello Hussein ,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Hardware Online Support .

My name is Marc , and I will be helping you with the FingerPrint Reader issue.

As I understand, you are trying to use the fingerprint reader on your Windows Vista (64 bit) ultimate Operating System. Please let me know if I have misunderstood the issue.

Hussein , I understand the inconvenience being caused due to this issue.   I realize the importance of getting the issue resolved and would like to help you with the issue. I appreciate your efforts in troubleshooting the issue.

Suggestions:

------------------

Hussein , in so far as of now, no update has been available for the release of the software for the FingerPrint Reader.

And, whenever the release will be made, it would be announced on the Microsoft Website. So, you can always get the information on the Website of Microsoft.

But, since the FingerPrint Reader is not working on your Operating System you can always get a refund for the product. As regards the refund, you can call the refund department.

The number for the refund department is: (888) 673-8624.

Regards,

Marc

Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:11 AM
  • I've also been trying to get drivers for years.  I like so many others on this forum, specifically purchased the MICROSOFT Fingerprint reader (in my case in a mouse combo) so that I could be sure it would work with Vista x64.  SURELY Microsoft would support their own operating system.

I just don't understand how they could possibly think that the masses wouldn't be running x64?

Ask ANY person: Would you rather have:

Computer A with 8GB of ram but with a 32-bit OS you can only use 3.xx of it.

OR

Computer B - that exact same computer but with an x64 OS and you'll be able use all 8GB of ram and as a bonus, the software kernel is more stable, apps like Photoshop, video editing software, etc will all work faster, in part because they can take advantage of the extra memory and in part because they can take advantage of x64.

What are they going to choose? -- You're darn right they'll choose x64. 

Why would they choose a computer with more than 4GB of RAM?  Because as a consumer they're sitting there with a new 12 megapixel camera, and a new Hi-Def camcorder and find themselves wanting to edit the photos and the video.  

When Microsoft says that x64 isn't mainstream, they may as well be saying that "No one will ever want or need more than 4GB of ram in their computers at home. (And hence won't want or care about an x64 OS)." 

Remember the quote: "640K ought to be enough for anybody"?  Even if Bill Gates denies saying it (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bill_Gates) you'd think that they'd at least be shipping an x64 driver for their own product sure make it look like they're making the same mistake again.

---

Put differently,

People don't care that Microsoft didn't write the Digital Persona software. They think: Microsoft just spent BILLIONS of dollars buying company x or y.  Surely they can work something out with the company that supplies their software for the reader... especially since they've ALREADY written x64 drivers for the products they sell directly.

---

And while we're on the topic of them updating that software -- they had better make this software work with x64 AND with computers that are logged into domains.  I tried installing the software they do provide on my 32-bit notebook computer years ago, but it wouldn't even install because my computer belonged to a domain.  So all you hundreds of thousands of people running Small Business Server at home or are thinking about purchasing Microsoft's new "home server" (assuming it works on a domain model -- I'm not up on the tech details of how it works yet, so if it's not a domain model then this won't apply) - better get it in writing that the persona software can even be installed if you're connected to a domain -- odds are it won't work. 

If Microsoft does ship an x64 driver (eventually) but the driver doesn't work or install if your computer is logged into a domain, you're still out of luck.  Writing a driver that only works "some of the time" is not acceptable -- but at least it would be some form of progress.

--

It seems that the only way to get the personal software working in a domain configuration (with Active Directory) is to buy their DigitalPersona Pro for Active Directory Workstation software:  http://www.digitalpersona.com/products/dpProADws.php#WSnor but if you read the data sheet for that product it says it only supports Persona's own "U.are.U" hardware -- nothing mentioned about the Microsoft hardware.

You'd think that if nothing else, the Persona people would realize that there's a massive community out there of people like us who would actually pay money to buy the software / driver from them if Microsoft won't provide it. 

I just want the thing to work.  If I had to pay another $50-100 bucks to Persona to get an x64 driver AND the ability to log into my Vista machine that's part of an SBS 2003 domain, I'd be a pretty happy guy.

Instead, it looks like I have to trash the product I got from Microsoft, buy a whole new reader from them, buy the Pro for Active Directory Worstation software, maybe also buy the Digital Persona Pro Server software (I can't tell from the documentation if you have to have the server part installed for the workstation part to work or not), etc. 

Since the pricing isn't listed on the Persona site (that's never a good sign) I'm betting that for any reader to work in my environment, I'll have to spend several thousand dollars.

In summary, not only does the Microsoft Hardware team owe us a product that works with Vista x64, they also have a responsibility to make sure that product works no matter how you have that machine configured -- as part of a domain or not.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:41 AM
  • Here was the reply:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand that you would like to know when will be the Windows Vista 64-bit driver for Microsoft Keyboard Fingerprint Reader realised.

We have not yet announced a specific release date for Windows Vista 64-bit driver for Microsoft Keyboard Fingerprint Reader. When an announcement takes place, Microsoft will publicly disclose and broadly communicate it through its Web site.  

Shawn, please check the Microsoft Keyboard Fingerprint Reader web site regularly for the latest news: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/features/fingerprint.mspx

I hope your issue is resolved at the earliest and appreciate your patience in this regard. Meeting and exceeding your expectations are my top priorities. 

Thank you,

Arif 

Microsoft Customer Service Representative

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what does that mean?  Absolutley nothing!  Now they are sighting a possible release date.  Uhm, I was under the assumption that there was no development in the pipe at Microsoft for this driver.  Wouldn't that be nice if I was wrong.  It's amazing that Miscrosoft can turn out a full-blown operating system in under 3 year but a 64-bit driver takes longer.  Perhaps Windows 2KX will have it?
    Friday, February 15, 2008 2:09 PM
  • I emailed them a while back and got the same email back with zero information.  What I find amusing it that Microsoft made a big push with the release of XP x64 and an even bigger push with Vista x64 to get manufactures on board and provide x64 drivers for their hardware.  Yet, Microsoft still has yet to provide an x64 driver for this product.  Seems like a double standard to me.

Friday, February 15, 2008 7:45 PM
  • Thanks as ever guys for all the work you are putting into this.

The information we are getting from MS is very vague and they obviously do not want to commit themselves to any kind of time frame. This disconcerting given the fact that it has been over a year now. I've sent emails to MS and have yet to receive a response so congrats to those who have Smile

Realistically given the size of MS and the fact that DigitalPersona already have 64bit drivers for their version of the reader the issue cannot be that the drivers are even in 'Development' yet as if they where they would be out in no short order. So with this in mind I think the only way we can get them to anything is to not let up. Don't stop asking the question and sure as hell don't let this thread die. And I'm pleased to see that you guys obviously agree, given the effort already shown.

I cant understand why no MS Rep has even posted on this yet in over 1 year. It is simply insulting to treat your customers like this. Looking on the forum this thread has been viewed over 12,000 times and have been in existence in almost one year with nothing.

Yet a post regarding a problem with the 32bit fingerprint reader Here has been in existence for only 5 days and has received 3 responses from MS. And to make matters worse they only posted after the became apparent this problem related to the 32bit vista OS and therefore Copy/Paste answers could be deployed.
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 3:37 PM
  • Charcobeans,

It is really wierd you lost your thread name thread name, kinda like what happened to me. I had to log into this discussion using  a different computer with a different IP address. Evertime I would click on anything using my old laptop in your last post ( Reply, Quote, etc.) I would be automatically logged off the forum...pretty strange. I am starting to get parinoid and I am running out of different computers to log-in with. The reason for my reply was to confirm what you were saying about all the "Great" assistance the guy with the 32-bit problem was getting from tech suppoprt and we can't even get decent reply about the drivers. I too applaude all the support we have received from fellow digruntled Fingerprint Reader owners.I will be following the thread untill the drivers are released. DONT GIVE UP THE FIGHT!

Saturday, February 16, 2008 5:33 PM
  • Some great posts here ladies & gentlemen, keep the constructive posts coming as who knows where and when you may get quoted.

It looks like at this point we have US, Canada & Australia Microsoft Divisions 'looking' into this though they are only 'looking' so if you are in a country other than already mentioned have you contacted your local Microsoft Support or Media department or both?

In regard to user profiles and not being able to post this is a TechNet & MSDN issue as the forum backend has some serious issues at the moment and they are constantly trying to fix the bugs in the forums. I was caught out by it last week and thought I might have been 'blacklisted' though it is not the case, it is just the dev's on the backend working to fix the problems. If you ever curious in regard to the forum status and to report bugs & feedback head over here though when the forums are broken new posts and being able to post to that forum is just as useless when you can't post here. It is getting better and they have fixed some big bugs in the past week or so.

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar

Sunday, February 17, 2008 10:07 AM
  •  

Hi guys

What about this :

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&softwareitem=ob-56930-1&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

maybe someone could get this drivers working with non-HP hardware and for WinXP x64 too?

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 11:16 PM
  •  

Hey,what about  the drivers for XP64?? you think the vista 64 drivers work in XP64?

thanks.

Thursday, February 21, 2008 9:38 AM
  • Yea those drivers are for the Digital Persona (DP) readers. This is basically the MS Fingerprint reader in another shell. The drivers are there from DP but MS just seems unwilling to make the effort (or spend the money on a licence) to make this available for us.

Microsoft encourages you to buy their latest and greatest OS. Microsoft encourages you to buy their fingerprint reader.

But, Microsoft do not inform you in any way that they are not compatible. Microsoft do not respond to their customers, reasonable and understandable questions, publicly. And where a response is received privately, it is a fob off with zero commitment to a timescale.

The situation we are in is condensed into those statements. And they do not portray a company who cares about its product nor its customer. They portray a company who will solely do whatever it takes to make money no matter the cost. Yes, Microsoft needs to make money... it exists to make money. But not like this.

And to Microsoft (If it’s ever read)

How much money is their down the line when you treat the source of your income in a way that drives them elsewhere? It’s just a fingerprint reader sure. Then it’s just  some other small piece of hardware, then something else again... inconsequential, nothing to worry about as it isn’t the big earner. But they add up, those affected add up. And those affected will not just keep quiet about it.

You can see on these forums that it’s not just we, the owners of the reader, who are going to be swayed in the future when it comes to who we purchase from. It’s our families, friends, co-workers.... the list goes on. Consider too the fingerprint reader is an item more likely to be picked up by the enthusiast computer user who, from personal experience which I’m certain applies to many others, is consulted regularly for advice by those I’ve mentioned and more. An experience like this is going to play an important part in the advice given.

The issue will continue to grow as 64bit computing takes off, again the enthusiasts among us will be at the forefront and this experience will be repeated, and in increasing regularity.

So Microsoft, the choice actually boils down to 2 simple options. Do you intend to hurt your business by losing customers to your rivals and continue along this course? Or will you deliver what your customers expect, and foster a loyal customer base who will continue to be a source of income for years to come?

Thanks,

Thursday, February 21, 2008 3:38 PM
  • Guys I am sorry to say but MICROSOFT GERMANY have answer on my requiery with following scentens:

(sorry for my worst english and worst translation)

- Microsoft will NOT support the fingerprintreader for Vista x64

- The Fingerprintreader is an 3rd party product with MICROSOFT BRANDING

- The producer is Digital Persona - a company frome the founders of LOGITECH

- Microsoft stoppt any joint venture with Digital Persona company

I think we are screwt - and lost all of us 40 bugs (EURO) on a company how have not desirve to excestis.

Now i know my next PC will be not a PC - its will be a MAC!

For all of this thx MICROSOFT

Monday, February 25, 2008 10:59 PM
  • I hope this is incorrect as this contradicts other statements from Microsoft.

And if it does hold true i will not be happy to say the least...
    Tuesday, February 26, 2008 2:06 AM
  •  

Hi,i made a compilation of the uncompressed files from the .msi files for digital persona extracted with ‘universal extractor 1.5’ ,I extract the files from this .msi and .exe :  (contains a lot of  .inf,dll’s,.sys..etc)

(At the end of the post i provide links with a .rar with the following folders uncompressed)

Digital Persona 1.0 (32 Bits)

Digital Persona 2.0 (32 Bits)

Digital Persona HP Vista 64Bits (here’s the _64 .inf files I think is possible modify)

Various from Digitalpersona.com

-DP10-001

-DP10-002

-dpdrv224-85

I take a look and i see some drivers for 64 but I don’t know how,or if it’s possible modify the 64 bits .inf files, I see they are very similar ,for example  dpfprdr.inf extracted from Digital Persona 1.0 (32 Bits)

with  dPersona_x64.inf extracted from Digital Persona HP Vista 64Bits.

I’m not a programmer but maybe anyone can do something,if I can help,please tell me. J

I think the clave is in the folder Digital Persona HP Vista 64Bits,this contains a lot of files X64,I too see what some of the files in this folder are for various brands of fingerprint readers,like Upek..etc..and the .inf file too have some lines with other hardware ID and PID…

Is a good idea try to  replace the hardware Id and PID from the .inf of  Digital Persona 1.0 or 2.0 (32 Bits) for the x64 .inf

All this are just ideas,maybe help.Thanks a lot for the attention.

I Upload one rar file with all this folders and files named ‘Digital Persona uncompressed drivers (32&64).rar’

Please Scan all the folder ,(I do before compress with NOD32) but I tell u all the files are extracted from the originals .msi.

I have two links for my rar file,one from my personal ‘my opera’ (real direct download) account,I use tinyurl.com because the name is too long,and other mirror from rapidshare. The rar have not password.

http://tinyurl.com/2xvhz3   (if not work -right click and 'save target as')

http://rapidshare.com/files/96076036/Digital_Persona_uncompressed_drivers__32_64_.rar.html

Saturday, March 01, 2008 5:00 AM
  • Thanks Fizz.

I gave it a shot by modding the .inf files with the proper DevID and it seems that there are some changes in the drivers themselves that make them non-compatible.  I'm thinking someone would have to dig a bit deeper and possibly reverse engineer the driver and go from there.

In other words not much chance of this happening on Technet at least Stick out tongue

Sunday, March 02, 2008 1:07 AM
  • Thanks Fizz,

I also download the package you assembled and had a bit of a look and play with no success, even if I did we would have the problem that the driver would be not WHQL Certified which would cause other issues with x64 Vista with ‘Un-Signed Drivers’ that we would have to deal with in BCDEdit which is something I would rather not have to boot Windows each time with the ‘Allow Un-Signed Drivers’ boot option.

As stated previously here by others is that many of the people here running x64 Windows are the people who have family and friends constantly asking them to fix their PC’s for them and make recommendations on what hardware and software to purchase. The answer I have been giving regarding hardware for the past few months since switching to Logitech products as my 2 x ‘Microsoft Wireless Desktop 6000 Keyboard and Mouse’ sets which are so called ergonomic was starting to give me RSI with constant wrist pain. I have a great desk, chair and overall ergonomic computing environment so I was taken back a bit by potential RSI even occurring. The cheapest option for me to address this was to replace the keyboard and mouse and give that a try and most signs of RSI have disappeared which I can only put down to throwing that Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse in the cupboard as nothing else in my ‘workspace’ has changed.

Microsoft Australia’s press relations firm got back to me today and as expected it is not in our favour so time to take this to the next level which I have been planning on whilst I have been waiting and the email I received will be forwarded to some Microsoft contacts and I will be asking them to answer quite a few questions that go beyond this ‘Fingerprint Reader’ and how Microsoft in general perceive the future of Windows and the customers that purchase Microsoft Windows and what the ‘PC’ is and why Microsoft now believe that they can take the ‘Personal’ out of the ‘Personal Computer’.

Please see below for a response that can be attributed to a Microsoft spokesperson.

"We can confirm that that the Fingerprint Reader does not support 64-bit Windows Vista. The Microsoft team is aware of the error on the website and are working to update the site. We will not be upgrading the Fingerprint Reader Digital Persona software to support 64-bit because the Fingerprint Reader is targeted for consumer use and convenience and Windows 64-bit is used mainly by businesses."

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 2:45 AM
  • One other thing can people start to take screenshots and photographs of the 'Microsoft Finger Print Reader' if and when you see it for sale in retail stores or online stores. I have most of the WHQL Driver pages, MS Fingerprint Reader Site and Driver site and a couple of others already though I need some photos of the devices that are 'on the shelf' in retail stores.

I am also looking for products that are not just specificly branded Microsoft that carry the 'Windows Vista Ready' or 'Windows Vista Certified' stickers and logos on the products and if they label these as suitable for 32 Bit Windows and 64 Bit Windows or if it is just a generic sticker and you know or are able to check that x64 drivers are not available for the product.

It is time Microsoft started to fix the whole 'Vista Ready' & 'Vista Certified' driver logo program so that customers who purchase any product that is labelled as such can trust that the device will work with both x64 & x32 Windows Vista.

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 3:02 AM
  • I love how the spokesperson wrote

"We will not be upgrading the Fingerprint Reader Digital Persona software to support 64-bit because the Fingerprint Reader is targeted for consumer use and convenience and Windows 64-bit is used mainly by businesses."

Yet on the main Microsoft site under the 64bit section we have this:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/64bit.mspx

"The 64-bit editions of Windows Vista—available for all editions of Windows Vista except Starter—deliver premier performance, reliability, and security, providing you access to the next generation of PC innovations."

Does that suggest buisness users? Well to avoid any confusion we also have on that page:

2. "In the consumer market, Windows Vista 64-bit editions are for serious gamers, high-quality media creators, and enthusiasts who demand the most from digital media and are running computer systems with 64-bit processors."

I would love someone to explain to me why im being told 2 different things by Microsoft, quite obviously this spokes person is yet again fobbing us of by telling us 64bit is for buisness. Yet on the actual MS site we are told it is consumer targeted and available in all editions (Read... not only buisness edition).Even gamers are mentioned who are as far away from buisness users as you can get.

Getting seriously disillusioned with MS at this point.

Id try and get pics for you Stephen but i live in Ireland where consumer electronics arnt very prevalent in the local area. Smile

Thanks,
    Wednesday, March 05, 2008 3:00 PM
  • Well,

After almost an entire year and having completely given up on Microsoft and their incompetence, I gleefully took my fingerprint reader outside for a little spin. I spun it round and round as fast as it could go.........and then swung it full speed into the blacktop. Shattered like glass and it felt great too!

MS can suck my left nut! I'm done. No more MS hardware - ever again.

Thursday, March 06, 2008 3:21 AM
  •  

Now watch. The drivers will come out next week. It's just my luck, but if my sacrifice means the rest of you are better off then so be it. Smile
    Thursday, March 06, 2008 3:23 AM
  • Charcobeans,

Thanks for the link as it is a great link and probably better than a photo, if we all pitch in and continue taking Microsoft to task on the x64 issue as I mentioned above it is not just about the MSFT FingerPrint Reader it is about x64 Windows also as a whole.

ATTN: Microsoft Press Relations Australia

As a follow up to your email and my posting the content on the TechNet forum a follow up message has been posted and if you could ask the same ‘Microsoft Spokesperson” to respond to the following statements within the context of the original email I sent that would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/64bit.mspx

"The 64-bit editions of Windows Vista—available for all editions of Windows Vista except Starter—deliver premier performance, reliability, and security, providing you access to the next generation of PC innovations."

Does that suggest business users?

Well to avoid any confusion we also have on that page:

"In the consumer market, Windows Vista 64-bit editions are for serious gamers, high-quality media creators, and enthusiasts who demand the most from digital media and are running computer systems with 64-bit processors."...

Regards,

Stephen Edgar

Thursday, March 06, 2008 6:25 AM
  • I think that is bad news. That means that a driver is available, but MS is choosing not to make it available. They should stop selling the fingerprint reader and keyboards until they choose to make this available, or use a different supplier that they can work with.
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 1:10 AM
  • I recently received one as a give away from the AZGROUPS ASP.NET User Group Seminar with Scott Guthrie as one of the presenters!!  It was very awesome.  And here i am (of course being a major geek) on my 64 bit machine getting ready to try out this new fangled device.  And.. well... ****(for letter word like clap but you use an 'r' instead of the 'l')

I'm shocked to see that this has been going on for a year now.  It certainly makes me think twice about purchasing MS hardware.  Any another company would look at this thread and have this resolved within months!  But i suppose since they have so much more going on it takes more time.

I really hope MS will come through for us on this.  I know i get to simply say "oh well, it was just a free gift", but i feel everyone's pain who spend hard earned money on this.

But in the end..

HEY Microsoft!!  i'm giving my +1, please fix! Big Smile

Thursday, March 13, 2008 4:38 AM
  •  

Anyone dared to install and/or modify this driver for DigitalPersona U.r.U. 4000 ?

http://www.digitalpersona.com/support/downloads/readerengine_update.php

Sorry, if it is already in this thread and I missed it.

-George

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 1:27 PM
  • I recently again contacted Microsoft with reguard to the support of th 64 bit OS' here is there reply:

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Hardware Online Support.

My name is Mayur and I will be helping you with the Fingerprint Reader issue.

As I understand it, you are unable to use the Fingerprint Reader on Windows Vista or XP 64 Bit Operating systems. Please correct, f the above information is inaccurate.

Ivan, the Digital Persona software which is currently available is not compatible with the Windows XP and Vista 64 Bit version.

Also, as of today there is no Digital Persona software compatible with Windows XP and Vista 64 Bit Operating system. I realize the importance of Windows Vista version compatible software for the Fingerprint Reader; as there are various advantages offered by the device but now rendered unusable because of the non-availability of the software.

I have contacted the concerned department regarding information about the software. I have certain interesting facts to share with you.

The development team has received numerous requests about a compatible version of Digital Persona software for XP and Vista 64 Bit edition of Windows. This operating system is getting increasingly popular and the request for compatible software is one of the top queries reaching the product department.

Therefore, the product development team has started preliminary tasks in this regard. However, I am unable to obtain an estimated date for release for this software, since it is in the primitive stages and there is still lot of testing / development needs to be performed.

The product development team informed me that they are working on it vigorously and we can expect a release or estimated release date very soon. I appreciate your co-operation in this regard.

Microsoft appreciates you as a valued Customer and we welcome your responses for further improvement of Microsoft products.

At this stage, if you wish, you can obtain a refund for the Fingerprint Reader, as it may take a while for the software release. As the situation suggests, we may not able to use the Fingerprint Reader, without having compatible Digital Persona software.

You may wish to opt for a refund on the product. Retail products can most easily be returned through the retailer where the product was purchased or directly to Microsoft.

You can return the product at the point of purchase, if it is purchased within 30 days.

To return the product for a refund directly to Microsoft, contact Microsoft North American Retail Product Returns at 888- 673-8624.

Please let me know any questions or concerns you may have and if I can assist you any further.

Regards,

Mayur Makwana,

http://support.microsoft.com/

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 6:41 PM
  • Very nice.  I hope we see more positive feedback as time moves on.  If we keep respectfully inquiring about this, i think we will get a positive result in the end.

I have not tested the download for Toshiba systems.  When i first looked into it their fingerprint reader looks very different from the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader.  I'm not entirely sure how well those toshiba drivers will work.  Does anyone have a VM machine that they can try those out against?

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:17 PM
  • Hard to believe-but that sounds like good news to me. In fact it makes no big difference 2 me if I have to wait one, two or even three months after waiting for so long. As long as there are plans to make available the 64bit version. And, yes, of course: the sooner, the better.

Just my 2 pence,

George

Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:10 AM
  • Hi !
    I am just like you since more than a year... No official replies from Microsoft, just generic ones... This is my first message on this forum and, in fact, I just signed in to show support on this thread.

I am reall disapointed with Microsoft... I would have expected much more from them.

Please DO continue posting updates and support.

I am still crossing fingers.
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:16 AM
  • Well fellow fingerprint reader owners....I took the big plunge tonight and installed Service Pack 1 in my 64-bit machine. I was  really hoping that those crafty software folks at MS might just suprise us and have the drivers ready to go in the Service Pack. Don't rush to the download website because they are not there. The little egg shaped button on my keyboard is just as black now as it was before I loaded the Service Pack. I have not had time to check out the rest of the "goodies" in the download. Wish me luck!

Friday, March 21, 2008 1:23 AM
  •  

BAD LUCK...

I've finally decided to pay premium just to know what's going on with Microsoft's products and decided to call their (holy ***!) paying support, here, in France, just to get this answer:

"Nous sommes désolés, Microsoft ne possède pas et ne compte pas déployer de pilotes de lecteur d'empreintes pour un environnement 64bits. Nous vous proposons donc le remboursement de votre appareil."

Meaning...

"We are sorry, Microsoft does not actually nor ever will provide drivers for the Finger Print Reader in a 64bits environment. We can offer you a full refund for your product."

DAMN ! Payed phone support just to let me know that I am, WE ARE, screwed ! Why don't they tell it officially in their main site and all around. That would have spared me a few bucks. I am really mad now and I'll take that to consumers associations and even maybe to justice...

Just can't be possible. Stop selling products without support !

Any thoughts ?

Friday, March 21, 2008 7:10 AM
  • That is absoloutely ridiculous, I also just installed SP1 x64 and was hoping that we'd get a surprise driver for the Finger Print Reader, but no cigar. And now this! No FP Reader driver software ever?! Wow...

Two thumbs down to Microsoft.

Monday, March 24, 2008 12:33 AM
  • I have been watching this thread for almost a year now.  I can see that Microsoft is clearly dragging their feet with this issue.  I have to admit that I don't have the "Microsoft" branded fingerprint reader, but I do have the DigitalPersona reader.  It's virtually the same thing except for the name on the shell.  I contacted DP to see if they can supply me with drivers for Vista 64 since I have a disk that came with my reader and the drivers are only for XP.  I asked about an update to the current software I have.  They did reply saying that the cost to purchase the new software is $30USD.  So I did it. 

I installed the drivers provided by DP and everything works flawlessly with Vista64.  Finally I get to use my fingerprint reader.  If you can afford to pay the extra money, perhaps it might be an option to go directly to DP for the software.

Hope this helps.
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:06 PM
  •  

Paying for driver support ?

Damn !!!!

(no more to say)

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:38 PM
  • I hear ya, I know what your thinking.  However; it isn't just a driver you're purchasing from DP.  It comes with a bunch of software for different setups like IE7, Vista Windows Logon, laptops with readers, etc.  Overall download size was around 250MB.  Unfortunately considering the lack of support from MS, this seems like the only route people can take.  Think of it this way.  If you really need a fingerprint reader, you can go out and buy a new reader from a computer store for $30-40 that claims it works with Vista64.  Or alternatively you can purchase the updated software from DP for $30 and you know it will work and it saves you money in gas.

Either way, at least I can start using my fingerprint reader.
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:58 PM
  •  

I will try finding another way o try convincing DP to give me some kind of trialware... I would consider paying those 30USD if I were sure it would make the microsoft branded one work... But as of now, I can't be sure...

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 2:03 PM
  • What is the name of the software package you bought from DP? Did anyone try this package with a MS Reader?

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 2:09 PM
  •  

That's exactly what I would like to know... I'm trying to reach DPersona's representative directly no luck so far...

That said, I would really like to say again how unprofessional it is from Microsoft's side. I am really mad.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 2:14 PM
  • The name of the full package is:
    DigitalPersona Pro Workstation 4.2.4

Good luck I hope it works.
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 3:00 PM
  • I was able to get in contact with the Sales department with this email.  They also sent me an order form that I faxed in to complete the sale
    Sales@digitalpersona.com

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 3:03 PM
  • Many thanks for the info.

I'll try checking that out right away. I'll write back with feedback...

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 3:04 PM

• I am tired of this ***. someone give it a try and let me know if it works

http://rapidshare.com/files/96076036/Digital_Persona_uncompressed_drivers__32_64_.rar.html

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:32 PM
  • Well this is the result for Digital Persona Software

Code Snippet

Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:44 AM
    To: Sales
    Subject: DigitalPersona Pro Workstation 4.2.4

Hello. I purchased a Microsoft Fingerprint reader about a year ago, only to find out that it does not have any support from Microsoft for 64 bit operating systems.I know that you are the manufacturer for this product and this is what I would like to know:

I wanted to know if your DigitalPersona Pro Workstation 4.2.4 software works with the Microsoft fingerprint reader in a 64bit OS, before actually going out and spending the $30 to purchase the software. It would not be fun, after waiting a year, and spending another $30, just to find out that it isn't compatible.

Thank You !

Code Snippet

Hello,

Our solution is a enterprise version and doesn’t support the Microsoft reader.  They are two different products.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

DigitalPersona, Inc.

Inside Sales Representative

(: 408-927-7607 or 650-474-4004
    Ê:  650.298.8317 (Order Processing and Contracts)

Thursday, March 27, 2008 5:19 PM
  • I'll try without actual hope.... THANKs

Thursday, March 27, 2008 5:34 PM
  • I have a question to all the MS fingerprint reader users.  When you plug your reader into your computer and your computer tries to install the drivers.  Does it say that it has detected a "Microsoft Fingerprint reader"? or does it say "Digitalpersona reader"?

I wonder if this is why the DP software won't work with the MS reader. (in theory)

Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:22 PM
  • When plugged in I can't be sure right now... but on the device manager it says, under "unknown hardarware": "Microsoft Fingerprint Reader"...

BTW, I had no luck with DP's drivers...

Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:53 PM
  •  

Hi, i have it plugged because i have a combo of fingerprint reader and wireless mouse,(the fingerprint works like wireless mouse receiver and like fingerprint at same time) and i still using the reader like the receiver of the wireless mouse,and it's works (repeat,only like wireless mouse receiver),only the led light of the 'receiver' is on (green led) ,the light of the fingerprint is off (red).

In device manager it's appear like 'Microsoft® Fingerprint Reader',i have it disabled because in every reboot the fingerprint is detected and prompt to install drivers.Still with the fingerprint reader disabled it works like mouse receptor.

I add a screenshot of my device manager.

I have XP64 Version 2003 With SP2.

Friday, March 28, 2008 3:46 AM
  • I tried all the 64 bit drivers in the Digital Persona driver package. No luck with any of them. I still have a dark fingerprint reader.

Friday, March 28, 2008 1:23 PM
  • This is very discouraging. I'm new to this post, but frustrated. I've been looking for a reasonably priced fingerprint reader and today I found one in Office Depot. I got all excited for the price. Now I understand. They must be closing out the product at a reduced price. It clearly says on the package that it is compatible with Windows Vista. No where does it say anything about 32-bit only. After reading from the begining of this thread, it sounds like I'm not the only one to be duped. Sounds like a little bit of false advertisment by MS to me. Thanx, MS for the fine product support and advertisement.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 4:13 AM
  • Just a brief update after posting the previous message. I found a scanner that appears to work on Vista x64. I have ordered one and will try it when it gets here. It is $49.99 US from Amazon.com. The website of the company that makes it is: http://www.upek.com/solutions/eikon/default.asp

Will update when I find out more.
    Tuesday, April 01, 2008 5:35 AM
  • The UPEK Icon does work with the Vista 64-bit OS and it works well. You will like the product. The problem is some of us have a Microsoft Keyboard with the fingerprint reader built in. It is useless and I paid good money for it. We are still waiting for Microsoft to supply 64-bit drivers like they should have a long time ago.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 12:56 PM
  • I'm in the same boat, a Vista x64 SP1 install, and a "Microsoft Fingerprint Reader" branded paperweight.  Problem is, it isn't heavy enough to hold down my papers.

So, I write an email to Microsoft through their Contact Us page, asking when to expect x64 drivers to be produced.  I receive a response a few hours later, telling me to call their "Microsoft Products and Partners Information Team at: (800) 426-9400" 

So I call.  The guy who picks up reviews my problem, which was simple enough to answer in the initial email response, but anyway, he reviews my problem and places me on hold for 20 minutes.  I'm thinking "Oooh, maybe theirs a Beta program he can get me into, that's why it's taking so long."  Nope.  I'm not sure why it took so long, but he comes back and tells me "There is no 64-bit support for the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader."  I say "I know, I was just calling to find out when there will be."  Instead of answering my question, he gave me a phone number to try to get a refund.  I apologize for not posting that number on here, but it's at home and I'm at work.  Call the number above though and they'll open a ticket, and eventually, they'll likely give you the number.

Honestly, I wouldn't count on ever getting x64 drivers for these products.  Try to get your money back, any way you can.  Sell it to a friend who doesn't have 64-bit.  I simply won't be purchasing Microsoft hardware ever again.

The Upek Eikon fingerprint reader looks like a good replacement.

Thursday, April 03, 2008 12:32 PM
  •  c2cabco wrote:
    I tried all the 64 bit drivers in the Digital Persona driver package. No luck with any of them. I still have a dark fingerprint reader.

Were the drivers you tried the purchased ones or the package that was posted here earlier?  If it was the package that was posted here earlier, it didn't work for me either maybe because they were't the real 64bit drivers for the reader.
    Friday, April 04, 2008 1:04 PM
  • Check out the posts from March 20th. I tried the Digital Persona drivers provided by MASV. They dont work. We were hoping that because DP built the fingerprint readers for Microsoft, they might work.

Friday, April 04, 2008 2:26 PM
  •  c2cabco wrote:
    Check out the posts from March 20th. I tried the Digital Persona drivers provided by MASV. They dont work. We were hoping that because DP built the fingerprint readers for Microsoft, they might work.

Those drivers won't work, they're too specific for the hardware that they are designed for.  The drivers that "might" work are the ones that are available for purchase through DP for $30US.  The package sold by DP also includes the drivers posted on March 20th by MASV, but they do not install unless you want to install them.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 3:55 PM
  • So, you posted this in Feb and here we are....nearly in May well over a year after the OS launched and I still have this fingerprint reader that worked on XP x64 collecting dust at my desk. This is very frustrating to say that least. The one and only device that I can't use with Vista x64 in my house is one branded by Microsoft. My Linux / OSX and XP loving friends are quick to point that out...

Can anyone at Microsoft give us some hope that we'll be able to use these things again? I'm ready to give mine away at this point but with my luck that will be the day that the drivers are released.

Saturday, April 19, 2008 11:18 PM
  •  

Sorry, There won't be any microsoft driver for Vista 64... we can just throw out those MS. dust-collectors.
    Sunday, April 20, 2008 8:11 AM
  •  hysonmb wrote:

So, you posted this in Feb and here we are....nearly in May well over a year after the OS launched and I still have this fingerprint reader that worked on XP x64 collecting dust at my desk. This is very frustrating to say that least. The one and only device that I can't use with Vista x64 in my house is one branded by Microsoft. My Linux / OSX and XP loving friends are quick to point that out...

Can anyone at Microsoft give us some hope that we'll be able to use these things again? I'm ready to give mine away at this point but with my luck that will be the day that the drivers are released.

I'm curious, you say the fingerprint reader works with Windows XP 64 bit ?
    Sunday, April 20, 2008 10:33 AM
  • That x64 was a typo after XP. I retyped parts of the message and didn't clean it up very well... sorry. I was actually going on a rant about how I rolled back to XP 32-bit because so many things were not supported under x64.
    Sunday, April 20, 2008 12:12 PM
  • I don't think they will ever have 64 bit support according to this article in http://www.pcdoctor-guide.com/wordpress/?p=4695
    There is an alternative and it works with 64 bit Vista.
    Monday, April 21, 2008 9:46 AM
  • No. Everyone STOP dreaming about those fingerprint reader x64 drivers. THERE WON'T BE ANY. Microsoft will NOT release any x64 update for them.

The one thing that enrages me is... WHY don't they officially tell it ? They still want to fool many clients with there "Vista Compatible" sticker. It should read "Be warn, this is a 32 bit ONLY compatible device" and they also should add "If you need an x64 compatible device, go buy the Eikon"

Monday, April 21, 2008 10:03 AM
  • I found someone's 2-year old blog entry about the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader being identical in hardware to the Digital Personal UareU 4000B reader.  In fact, he mentions being able to flash the 4000B firmware into the MS reader.
    Link

I've emailed him for more details, but since DP has x64 drivers for the 4000B, we should be able to flash the MS reader with the 4000B firmware and use the DP drivers.  The 4000B having encryption and the USB IDs are most likely the only thing stopping the DP software and drivers from working with the MS reader.

Hopefully I'll get a reply about flashing the firmware.

Monday, April 21, 2008 2:08 PM
  •  

Please DO keep us posted on this one.

THANKS

Monday, April 21, 2008 2:15 PM
  • I spent some time doing a little more research and figured out how the firmware is flashed.  More details available here:
    http://dpfp.berlios.de/wikka.php?wakka=Firmware

Unfortunately, it has to be done in Linux.  The easiest way may be with VMware and a Linux VM.  I already run VMware Server on my Vista machine, so that part should be no big deal.  There are also Linux boot CDs one can download in order to try this out.  Then use the program dpfp-firmware-cutter which can be downloaded from here.  The actual firmware images can be extracted from the driver packages.  Hopefully, the USB IDs will change when the 4000B's firmware is loaded.  According to the wiki, the firmware for the 4000B is reloaded into the reader every time it's initialized.  In that case, it might be possible to modify the .inf files to see the MS reader's USB IDs as valid, and then it will do an initial firmware load.  I'm not positive on that, but if it's possible to trick the driver into loading the firmware into the MS device, all the Linux stuff could be skipped.

After that, it should just be a matter of getting the Digital Persona x64 driver and support apps, which unfortunately has to be purchased since DP doesn't offer it free online (probably because they don't want MS fingerprint reader users getting ahold of it since they'd probably want to charge MS for the licensing).

When I get a chance, I'll see if there's any way to get the MS reader flashed and see if its USB ID will change to the 4000B's ID.

Monday, April 21, 2008 4:13 PM
  •  

Hey GnatGoSplat !

Thanks a lot for your sharing (and caring !) I will try those steps right know as I have a few linux boxes here...

I'll report as soon even if, sadly, I don't have those DP drivers, but at least I will see if it loads the DP firmware.

Monday, April 21, 2008 4:20 PM
  • I can't get the firmware to be extracted from the DLL... anyone knows a simplier method to extract a FW from a windows dll ?

I'd truely appreciate .

tks.

Monday, April 21, 2008 5:39 PM
  • Here's what I've got:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/109328431/dpfp-uru4000-002.bin

I extracted it from the dll using the instructions from the Wiki.  To the best of my understanding, he's saying the firmware will be 1536-bytes decimal from the dll, then add on another 325-bytes of 00's to the end of it.  That's what the file I extracted consists of, so hopefully I understood the Wiki correctly.  If you interpreted that differently, let me know.

A really nice hex editor I used to extract it is HxD.  I've tried many freeware hex editors, and I like that one best.

Monday, April 21, 2008 7:18 PM
  • Here are both the extracted firmwares using the dpfp-firmware-cutter

http://rapidshare.com/files/109348721/Firmware.zip

Monday, April 21, 2008 8:35 PM
  •  

Thanks so much, Focus1 for the drivers.

I will test them as soon as I get to work. If I manage to get it properly work, I'll write a detailed tutorial.

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 6:38 AM
  • I have the same problem as the rest of you unfortunatley - but it mattered enough for me to switch back to 32bit Vista meaning I lose out on some ram among other things.

Thanks GnatGoSplat, Peter and Focus for all your work on getting drivers for this, keep it up! I don't really know much about this kind of thing, but would it be possible to look at the differences between the extracted drivers for the M$ fingerprint reader and the relevant Digital Persona fingerprint reader, then just modify the 64bit DP ones accordingly? Maybe that is what you are doing, I am not sure!

Anyway, I really hope this can be sorted out soon, I have been wating for over a year now with out Sad

ps, if this becomes a double post, very sorry but I had a load of errors the first time I tried to post it!
    Saturday, April 26, 2008 11:47 AM
  • I have the same problem as the rest of you unfortunatley - but it mattered enough for me to switch back to 32bit Vista meaning I lose out on some ram among other things.

Thanks GnatGoSplat, Peter and Focus for all your work on getting drivers for this, keep it up! I don't really know much about this kind of thing, but would it be possible to look at the differences between the extracted drivers for the M$ fingerprint reader and the relevant Digital Persona fingerprint reader, then just modify the 64bit DP ones accordingly? Maybe that is what you are doing, I am not sure!

Anyway, I really hope this can be sorted out soon, I have been wating for over a year now with out Sad

ps, this is the third time I have tried to post this, with different errors each time! They even said they had deleted it once!
    Saturday, April 26, 2008 12:02 PM

The problems I have had posting in this thread - it failed 3 times, then double posted, then I deleted one of the double post and both went! I didn't realise I/the forums could be so stupid!
    Saturday, April 26, 2008 12:51 PM
  • Anyone having any luck with the drivers ?

What's really upsetting to know is that the Microsoft reader is physically the same as the Digital Persona one and the driver is only 1 bit off. 64 bit drivers exist from DP, so why can't Microsoft just pay the licensing fee and get it over with ??
    Friday, May 02, 2008 12:45 PM
  • Good and bad news...

I managed to update the firmware and change it to the DegitalPersona one... Strangely enough, the reader seems to be dead under vista 32/64 BUT when I plug it in an XP machine, the OS tells me that an "unknown" usb device has been plugged-in... what is more strange yet is that in the very same pc's control panel, the device is shown a DigitalPersona FingerPrint reader ... So the firmware is there and showing as DigitalPersona, which is 64b compatible...

I have yet to manage installing drivers for it to be 100% compatible under XP and only then check out what's the mess under vista...

We are getting somewhere, it's just slow.

As I told before, If I ever manage to make the MS dust-collector vista64 compatible, I'll write a comprehensive guide... Sadly it is not the case now.

Friday, May 02, 2008 12:54 PM
  • Yes! I have had tremendous luck with the drivers!!! Why??? I busted my MS reader into a hunded little pieces and bought one of these:

http://www.upek.com/solutions/eikon/default.asp

THIS works on both XP and Vista 32 and 64 bit.

Amazon.com - $49

It's no longer worth the aggrivation folks. Spending hours of your time trying to flash firmware and do MS's job for them. Send them an even bigger message - buy someone else's product that works and tell them to kiss off!

Sunday, May 04, 2008 6:04 PM
  • I also just bought one from amazon, to use for the time being, until Microsoft wakes up.

BTW they are on Special at $41.99

Click Here

Thursday, May 08, 2008 11:01 AM
  • Just an update...

After talking with an expert on using these with Linux, I've learned that changing the firmware is a dead end.  The firmware is reloaded by the driver, so the fact that DP and MS firmware has a 1-bit difference is irrelevant for Windows users... if the DP driver were going to work with the MS Fingerprint Reader, it would load the correct firmware anyway.  The problem is the USB ID checking in the driver.  We have to somehow trick the driver into thinking the MS USB ID is valid.  Unfortunately, the USB ID is not in firmware, but in some part of an inaccessible EEPROM or MASK ROM so attacking the problem from the hardware side isn't going to work.  We need to look at the driver files themselves.

In the past, I have found some devices where tricking the driver was as simple as modifying the .inf file for the driver installer.  I'm not sure that'll work with Vista x64 though.

Do we even have access to the complete driver and software?  Has anyone posted something a lot more complete than what's on the DP site?

I suppose one could pick up a new Upek reader or something similar, but my MS readers were only $15/each and now they are only $9.99 at Office Depot so you could pick up 4 MS readers for the cost of one Upek.  With only 4GB of RAM, I'm only losing about 512MB by not going to 64-bit, so I'm not all that anxious to dump my MS reader just to use x64... yet.

Thursday, May 08, 2008 1:14 PM
  • I just want to thank everyone for posting about this reader. I was about to buy one today at office depot for 9.99 but since I have vista 64 bit I've decided not to. I would have been nice to not type passwords but after reading through all of this I've come to the conclusion that Microsoft isn't serious about the hardware business and I won't be buy any further microsoft hardware. I only own a microsoft mouse and I guess thats the best they can do. Also with their lack of proper support for vista ultimate and 64 editions this maybe the last ms operating system I buy. Instead I would sugggest going to Suse Linux SLES 10 or Ubuntu. Less problems, better support, and better price.

Thanks again for helping me avoid the mistake of buying the finger print reader.

J

Friday, May 09, 2008 1:52 PM
  • This is awful!  Over 30000 views and now 159 posts, and this threads been around since May 07!  If that's what we can expect in the way of support for M$ hardware I will avoid it from now on.  Other companies have managed make their products work with 64 bit OS's, why can't they?

At the very least M$ could have one of their drones come on here and give us an official reason for the lack of 64 bit drivers.

I contacted the M$ technical support and got this:

"Hello Sabranan,   

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Customer Service.  

I understand from your message that you would like to know where to find the drivers for Microsoft Fingerprint Reader that works with Windows Vista.   

From the information you have provided in your message, I understand that you are located in United Kingdom. There are significant programming differences between North American versions of Microsoft products and those localized for your country. 

If you have purchased the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader in United Kingdom, you will be best assisted by the Microsoft subsidiary that specializes in your version of Microsoft Fingerprint Reader. You can reach them at (011) (44)0870 60 10 100 or visit the following web site for more specific contact information for Microsoft United Kingdom subsidiary:  

http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/phone/contact.aspx?country=United%20Kingdom    

I hope your issue is resolved at the earliest and appreciate your patience. Meeting and exceeding your expectations are my top priorities.   

Thank you, 

Mayank

Microsoft Customer Service Representative

If you have any feedback about your Online Customer Service experience, please send it to my manager, Justus Joy, at http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6998852 Please do not forget to indicate the name of my manager in the subject field."

So...  There are significant programming differences are there?  I don't see where there would be any difference in the firmware or drivers of a device like this.  Certainly, the drivers for 32 bit are no different regardless of where in the world you download them from.

Sunday, May 11, 2008 5:25 PM
  • /bump

hurray for false advertising  Sad

Sunday, May 11, 2008 7:26 PM
  • LOL!I really do hope they release it soon as im deeply missing my fingerprint reader on vista 64 Sad

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 10:59 AM
  • Well they never took the issue seriously, I think only now due to the huge amount of complaints they're starting to rethink it.

Still I see posts as far back as one year and they said the same thing at the time which leaves us to conclude they have been misleading the clients telling they're working on it. I don't think a device driver takes 1 year to make for a huge multinational like Microsoft. Leaves us to conclude they never meant to do anything and kept clients on the loop waiting for a driver that they never intended to make.

Now the answers seem to have changed to include "due to the high number of requests we decided to make it a priority"

Lets see if that priority will take many more years! LOL

My Fingerprint Reader is on the table next to my keyboard, waiting for a driver... may his soul rest in peace...

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 2:50 PM
  • The drivers already exist.  It wouldn't take Digital Persona long to customize them for Microsoft.

I think what they're "working on" is getting corporate to pony up the cash to pay DP for the driver.

Apparently, it's not important enough.  Whether we get an x64 driver is probably up to someone in MS accounting department.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:04 PM
  • So I finally decide to buy the Upek Eikon as well and hook it up to my box.

Well, let's just say I am not any closer to my goal than before.

Yes I can log in to Vista 64 with fingerprint now, but my biggest use was Firefox.

32bit versions of Firefox are not supported in 64bit Vista.

Just want to say, thanks Microsoft for the great product support on my original MS fingerprint reader !!
    Monday, June 02, 2008 12:21 PM
  • You can use the UPEK Eikon with Firefox on Vista 64, but you must install UPEK's Password Bank add-in for Firefox.  This worked for me, even with Firefox 3.

More info:

Saturday, June 28, 2008 6:57 PM
  • As I just logged into my lap using my UPEK Eikon it occured to my that the posts to this TechNet Forum has slowed way down. I guess we are all tired of "beating  a dead horse". Some could say Microsoft has won. Given enough time, you owners of the Fingerprint reader we (MS) sold you will quit your bitchen and move on to something else. Well, Microsoft, I have news for you... you have lost. I have moved to Open Office for my office suite. I will not renew my Live Onecare subscription. I am test driving Linex Ubuntu for my operating system and I promise you, I will NEVER buy another piece of Microsoft hardware. Now I know this is not going to bankrupt you but concidering the thousands of dollars I spent over the years for your products both personally and professionally in my businesses. it will give me some satisfaction that you will never see another dollar from me. This will be my last post on this Forum. I wish my fellow dissatisfied owners the best of luck. 

Thursday, July 10, 2008 10:49 AM
  •  

I too have moved away from MS products.  This was total BS.  We spend money on a product, we expect it to work.
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 11:18 AM
  •  

I was crossing my fingers too after having that thing in the back of my closet for almost a year and half. I think I will be calling MS for a refund.
    Friday, July 11, 2008 1:41 AM
  •  

Well guys, i´m here to say that i´m about to sell this *** MS fingerprint reader cause will install 64bits OS and i cant find a way to make it work in a 64 OS. 

Im from Brasil and a lot of ppl here complain about that.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 1:44 AM
  • Peter Moine did you ever get the fingerprint reader to work on vista 64???

Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:42 AM
  • microsoft blows........
    Sunday, July 27, 2008 9:46 AM
  •  

The reason Microsoft doesn't give a *** about you is because you’re the customer... don't you understand that?  I've been waiting for over a year to get this simple software to work on my Vista64.  The main reason is because Microsoft is so completely incompetent that they themselves have no idea whatsoever how Vista or the fingerprint reader actually works themselves.  It's the stupid leading the stupid over there.  Even if those stupid programmers do find a way to make their own software work with their own hardware they will probably just throw it in the trash to spite you... after all, they think you’re the stupid one for actually thinking they would give a *** about you and your hard earned money… so you must be.   Right?

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 2:02 PM
  • Seriously, I'm just as ticked as everyone else who is in this situation. Do you honestly think that repeating the same message in different sizes will get some attention on this?

Like I said, I'm on your side, it really sucks that we're sitting here wishing for drivers now for over a year and a half. It sucks that there has been nothing, not even a "screw you guys it's not happening" posted here from any Microsoft reps. And it sucks that if we were to back down and use the 32-bit version of the same OS, this wouldn't be an issue! It does truly suck.

Why not start an online petition or something? I've got at least 5 people that will sign it right now... If I were a more eloquent writer, I would do it myself...

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 3:46 PM
  •  

Looks like he got someone's attention, some of his posts were removed.

Sad they didn't bother to take the time to respond to this thread, thus proving the spammers posts.

As for the petition.

Show me a link.  I'll sign it.  For now I will just sign the forums.

/signed

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:01 PM
  •  

Hmm... looks like this is going to get more public attention.  They mention is very issue in the following article.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=506&tag=nl.e539

Basically making the point that MS is lagging behind a little in the 64bit support movement.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:21 PM
  • I've notice that this thread has not been posted in for awhile, but also noticed that there still isn't a driver on the microsoft site. As I have read through this forum and seen some of the crappy responses from msft, it looks like they're just not interested in the fr. So, I e-mailed dp asking about the fr. The e-mail is below. I'm trying to revive this thread as I want my drivers. Smile

Hi Jeremy,

I’m sorry to hear that you are having problems with the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader.  I do need to point you back to Microsoft for support on this, please see the contact information below.

If you need assistance on the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader:

DigitalPersona did provide Microsoft the software for their reader.  However, per Microsoft’s request, we do need to refer you back to Microsoft for support questions.  90 days unlimited support is included at no charge, please call Microsoft at (866) 833-7088.

Here is a link to their support site:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/support/default.mspx

If this doesn’t work out for you, we do have client SW that supports Vista 64.  However, the Microsoft Reader is intended to work with the Microsoft client version only.  That means you will need to buy new client SW and a new fingerprint reader.  This can be purchased at:  https://www.californiapc.com/

Richard Souter
    Inside Sales / Channel Sales Manager
    DigitalPersona, Inc.

(650) 474-4029 (direct)

(650) 207-5231 (cell)

Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2008 9:39 PM
    To: NorthEastSales
    Subject: fingerprint reader

Hello,

I have an installation of Windows x64 Vista Ultimate Edition and cannot find any drivers for my Microsoft Fingerprint Reader. I’ve tried looking on the Microsoft page and they do not have any 64 bit drivers available on the page. I visited the support forum and people have been waiting ever since the 64 bit has come out. Do you currently have any software that would work correctly with this?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 6:40 PM
  • So it seems the contract between M$ and DP states that support is from M$, which is not surprising since it's supposed to be a M$ piece of hardware.  For some reason, DP hasn't made M$ new drivers (probably because they'd charge M$ for it, but neither side has confirmed this or any other reason to my knowledge).

What we really need is an insider from M$ or DP to shed some light on exactly why this is.  Regardless of the reason, I do think it's disgusting that M$ won't at least tell us what's going on, the amount of replies and views of this thread should be a good indicator of the level of interest in new drivers.

Since some of Deeze's posts were deleted, we 'know' at least one M$ rep has been on this thread, and it's fairly obvious they monitor it.  It's sickening to think they'd watch a thread like this and not post ANYTHING.

Not even a:

"Yo, we're not paying DP to make new drivers even though it'd be in the best interests of all involved, so screw our customers, especially the ones on this thread.  Please direct all future support questions to the nearest brick wall of your convenience"

Or something along those lines.

M$, if you're not getting the point, we'd really appreciate some kind of response here, we just wanna know what's what.

Jeremy. wrote:

Hi Jeremy,

I’m sorry to hear that you are having problems with the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader.  I do need to point you back to Microsoft for support on this, please see the contact information below.

If you need assistance on the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader:

DigitalPersona did provide Microsoft the software for their reader.  However, per Microsoft’s request, we do need to refer you back to Microsoft for support questions.  90 days unlimited support is included at no charge, please call Microsoft at (866) 833-7088.

Here is a link to their support site:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/support/default.mspx

If this doesn’t work out for you, we do have client SW that supports Vista 64.  However, the Microsoft Reader is intended to work with the Microsoft client version only.  That means you will need to buy new client SW and a new fingerprint reader.  This can be purchased at:  https://www.californiapc.com/

Richard Souter
    Inside Sales / Channel Sales Manager
    DigitalPersona, Inc.

(650) 474-4029 (direct)

(650) 207-5231 (cell)

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 6:56 PM
  • It sounds like I should just give up and chuck my reader at a brick wall Sad

Friday, September 05, 2008 10:13 PM
  •  

just installed vista x64...with SP1 and there is still no support for your own hardware.this is ridiculous...it looks like there's no work being done on this at all.
    Saturday, September 06, 2008 1:16 PM
  • Wake up Microsoft.
    You have a responsibility to produce 64bit
    drivers for your own hardware on your own OS.

Do you not realise that many postees here have been loyal customers of yours for years, but if you persist in ignoring them you will end up alienating your future customers. 

As for the excuse that '64bit users are mainly corporate' do you think they will be happy to discover there is no support? 
    Have you thought that perhaps it is issues like this which explain why corporate uptake of Vista is very slow?

Listen up, bite the bullet on this, pay DigitalPersona the sdk license fee and brand the drivers.  It really is in your best interest.  Thank you.

Saturday, September 06, 2008 4:43 PM
  •  dajm wrote:
    Listen up, bite the bullet on this, pay DigitalPersona the sdk license fee and brand the drivers.  It really is in your best interest.

It is that simple Microsoft.

Remember this Microsoft?

Posted by Nick White 5th February 2008

Hey Netweb:  The MS keyboard fingerprint reader was Certified for Windows XP but does not appear to have been Certified for Windows Vista yet; this may explain the lack of an x64 driver.  I've contacted the MS Hardware team and learned that they're in the process of getting the device in question logo certification, so when this occurs, the driver will be made available.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=MK

Still not available Microsoft.

How about the recent Windows Vista x64 Uptake?

The installed base of 64-bit Windows Vista PCs, as a percentage of all Windows Vista systems, has more than tripled in the U.S. in the last three months, while worldwide adoption has more than doubled during the same period.  Another view shows that 20% of new Windows Vista PCs in the U.S. connecting to Windows Update in June were 64-bit PCs, up from just 3% in March. Put more simply, usage of 64-bit Windows Vista is growing much more rapidly than 32-bit.
    What started out as a gradual (some would say "glacial") movement toward 64-bit PCs, driven primarily by technology enthusiasts, seems to have turned into a swift transition, likely fueled by the falling cost of memory and consumers' desire to get the most out of their PCs.

Sunday, September 07, 2008 2:07 AM
  • Request status on the Windows XP Pro 64-bit drivers for the Microsoft Fingerprint reader.

Sunday, September 07, 2008 9:21 PM
  • I think the best thing to do is to support the rampant and complete pillage of Microsoft software by hackers. I support any and all hackers that are willing to hack and "learn" how the mechanics of Microsoft’s products work... perhaps then we can get a hacker to create this software for us in appreciation for our support. Being that Microsoft themselves are to incompetent to do it for us. 

ROCK ON HACKERS... LIVE LARGE... DIG DEEP...

Sunday, September 07, 2008 9:42 PM
  • producing a product and not producing drivers for your own o.s is like making a car and not building a engine.

this is really stupid on microsoft's part.

the fingerprint reader is a great tool and vista 64-bit works great. but this is the kind of *** that makes people hate microsoft and go mac.

it really ruined the whole upgrade to 64-bit experience.

I neither know or can remember all my freakin' passwords! which is really microsofts fault again for making the internet so insecure. we should not really need all of these complex passwords anyway to save our identities from being snatched!

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 2:22 PM
  • Guys,

Let it go, if M$ do not want to develop 64 bit driver for their products (hardware and software) is their right.

Let us exercise our rights, not to use theirs.

Therefore we should follow Mahatma Ghandi's style.

Use Google instead of Microsoft live.

Use Firefox instead of IE.

Use Linux (Ubuntu recommended), instead of Vista.

Use MySQL (or Oracle) instead of SQL server.

Use Openoffice rather than Microsoft Office

Quicken instead of Microsoft Money.

Ipod instead of Microsoft Zune

Iphone/Nokia instead of Windows Mobile

Buy PS3 instead of XBOX 360

Buy non-microsoft hardwares, for these I do not think it is very hard to do.

When you buy new computer, do not ask for Vista.

Or you can list other M$ product to boycott

Peace M$

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:24 AM
  • I read this post with interest (well some of it, I didnt have time to read all 13 page!) because I have the MS Fingerprint Reader (USB) running currently happily on Vista 32bit. However I am in the process of buying a new PC and am considerig getting Vista 64bit on it. So now I can see from reading this thread that I have a choice between staying with 32bit or buying a new fingerprint reader. I dont believe that MS will ever update the driver to be compatable with 64bit.

Monday, September 29, 2008 10:22 PM
  • I would like know, if the Micro$hit ll make the 64bits drivers for vista or no ?

If not I´ll be migrate to linux and never use the your products !

I have the FingerPrint Reader and cant use on my Vista 64

The Windows Update download driver but not run on 64

I m very decep...Sad

Friday, October 10, 2008 10:37 PM
  • Get used to it... Microsoft has not one single person in their employment that gives a *** about your or your fingerprint reader.  The best thing you can do is to support the hackers that violate Microsoft software. Perhaps a hacker will devise a way to make it work so encourage any and all Microsoft hackers you come into contact with.

Just wait until Windows 7 comes out.  Microsoft will have the following versions:

Microsoft Windows 7 Basic……………………………….……….. (none of your peripherals will work)

Microsoft Windows 7 Semi-Basic……………………….………… (none of your peripherals will work)

Microsoft Windows 7 Small Office………………………….…….. (a few of your peripherals will work)

Microsoft Windows 7 Medium Small Office……………………… (a few of your peripherals will work)

Microsoft Windows 7 Medium Slightly Larger Small Office……. (a few of your peripherals will work)

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional In School..…………….……. (half of your peripherals will work)

Microsoft Windows 7 Almost a Professional…………….………. (half of your peripherals will work)

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional’s Assistant………………….. (three quarters of your peripherals will work)

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional………………………………… (three quarters of your peripherals will work)

Microsoft Windows 7 Not Quite Ultimate But Close…………….. (none of your peripherals will work again)

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate……………………………………… (Doesn’t matter because it crashes all the time)

Microsoft Windows 7 Super Duper Ultimate……………………… (Doesn’t matter because it crashes all the time)

Microsoft Windows 7 Super Duper Calafragilistic Ultimate…….. (sometimes your peripherals will work)

Microsoft Windows 7 Can’t Afford It Ultimate……………………. (most of the time your peripherals will work)

Microsoft Windows 7 MIGHT ACTUALLY WORK Ultimate……... (toss a coin)

Microsoft Windows 7 Ripped By Hackers………………………... (everything works flawlessly)

Saturday, October 11, 2008 2:32 AM
  • I don't know if it helps, I don't know if anything can be done, but, digitalpersona has released a free sdk, for linux and windows (Vista, 32/64-bit) for the fingerprint readers.  For the right fingerprint readers?  I dunno.  Can this even be of help to us?  I dunno.  I'm a programmer, but I haven't the time or, honestly, the skill, to do something like this, so I won't even bother looking into it.  A year ago, when I found my Vista64 wasn't working with it, and found that it didn't work on my XP laptop(on a domain) and didn't have any way of working in linux, I would have been more willing. 

Hopefully someone with some skill and determination will take a look and hook us up, if possible.

Monday, October 13, 2008 12:03 PM
  •  

I have a Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Keyboard 7000

A Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 800

And a Microsoft Fingerprint Reader

Microsoft Office 2007 Ultimate

Microsoft Windows Live One Care

Windows Vista Ultimate  64bit Operating System

I pondered long and hard prior to going to 64 bit.  I am shocked that the only problems I have had with 64bit has been Microsoft related on a certified for Vista product.

All of Microsofts hype about the trend to 64bit and they can not supply driver's for one of their own products.  Absolutly unbelieveable.  And unacceptable.

Oh, by the way I have done builds duplicating my set up for 6 of my friends.  That is about $6800 M$.

It seems Microsoft has turned a deaf ear to this problem.  Well I shall, henceforce turn a deaf ear to microsoft.  I have other options that I will utilize. 

I know this has been a waste of my time.  But, God willig, I have plenty of that.

I

Thursday, October 23, 2008 11:49 PM
  • Yeah Dan, we hear you.  Funny thing is... not only have you wasted your time building all of those machines only to find out that Microsoft doesn’t give a *** about you but you've also wasted your time writing this response on their message boards.  They especially don't give a *** about any of THE USERS here.  As I continue to remind everyone... the best thing we can do is to support the hackers that deconstruct and take advantage of Microsoft's Swiss cheese sized holes that their incompetent piece of *** programmers barley put together. Microsoft is just as large and out of touch as the US government at this point so we're all pretty much screwed.

SUPPORT HACKERS at any means necessary... they are our only hope for getting Microsoft products to actually work right… not only to hackers work WITH us… they ARE US…

Friday, October 24, 2008 1:04 AM
  • Back in July I said goodbye and stated I wasn't going to comment anymore...forgive me for mouthing off again. It is good to see good folks not giving in to the BS. After all the new M$ propoganda on the tube about Vista, do you think it would do any good to email  bill@microsoft.com  and make him aware of the wonderful support his company has given to the good people around the country that purchased a fingerprint reader and the fantastic Vista 64-bit OS? Is it possible we are all flying under the radar and he doesn't even know there is a problem? Maybe we could email Jerry Seinfield and enlist his help in getting the drivers produced!  

Friday, October 24, 2008 2:29 AM
  • How do you mark best answer?

Friday, October 24, 2008 3:30 PM
  •  sky173d wrote:

How do you mark best answer?

Currently there is no answer to mark as the problem still exists.
    Friday, October 24, 2008 6:54 PM
  • Microsoft not only ignore this conversation but now appear to be moving towards hiding that this product ever existed, take a look at the ever diminishing content published on Microsoft Hardware

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/Fingerprint/default.mspx
    - "Need support? We can Help." 
    - Yeah right Microsoft we have been asking for 18 months now?

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/features/fingerprint.mspx
    - Great, I can take product tour or learn how to clean it, more product documentation going AWOL.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/features/docs/fingerprint.html
    - Where have these 'docs' disappeared to? Just a 'flash' demo exists now.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productlist.aspx?type=Fingerprint
    - This page is fundamentally useless, click the ONLY link and nothing regarding the FP reader is listed after the hyperlink jump.

http://support.microsoft.com/fingerprint
    - Only one KB article relating to Windows Vista in regard to IE7 crashing.

- Where is the KB Article that is referred to when trying to install the drivers on a x64 Vista machine when you are prompted and shown the 'Problems & Reporting Solution Report' as per the screenshots shown here. (It is also sad I now take screenshots of product pages that are vanishing.)

http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2007/jan07/01-08FingerprintReaderPR.mspx

“This is an exciting time for PC users with the launch of Windows Vista, and we want to ensure that our products are enhancing the new operating system. We’ve added new features to our mice and keyboards, and the Fingerprint Reader is no exception, with updates to make Windows Vista features more convenient,” said Sean Butterworth, product marketing manager for Microsoft Hardware. “The Hardware team worked closely with DigitalPersona to enable password mobility and administration, which is a huge timesaver and something many customers have requested, especially those who will be making the move to Windows Vista this year.”

“DigitalPersona Password Manager 2.0 is the result of our ongoing collaboration with Microsoft,” said Vance Bjorn, CTO of DigitalPersona. “This update offers the latest fingerprint technology to consumers and utilizes the enhanced features in Windows Vista.”

I would very much like to hear from both Sean Butterworth from Microsoft and Vance Bjorn from Digital Persona in regards to the statements above that were made in the Presspass release above.

Now bring into the fold Windows 7 and I would not be surprised that we soon have some x86 (Yes 32 Bit) owners of the MSFT Fingerprint Reader looking at this thread. Take a look at these three articles and other Windows 7 information as it starts filtering through the PDC coming up next week.

CNET - An interview with
    Steven Sinofsky (All round good read, but read between the lines also)
    Computerworld - A good round-up of various Windows 7 and driver 'carry-over' models from Vista, How's the MSFT FP fit in here?
    IStartedSomething.com - Long most definately 'startedSomething' here in regard to the Windows Logo program for Windows 7, is this why Microsoft are making the Fingerprint Reader vanish from the Microsoft hardware site?

EDIT: Long Zheng has just posted an entry on Windows 7 Software Logo Requirements and I wonder if Microsoft & Digital Persona will update drivers and applications for the FP Reader to work with Windows 7?

Notably is point 3 on '
    The application must section' - Support x64 versions of Windows
    Friday, October 24, 2008 7:40 PM
  •  

As I scoured the Internet for forum solutions to this Vista 64-bit issue I had resigned myself to buying a alternative product (specifically the Digital Persona equivalent to the M$FR that uses the same excellent software) to my now redundant Microsoft Fingerprint Reader, purchased only a short time ago. By coincidence today I happened upon this paragraph in an article in my daily RSS feeds from one of my favourite tech websites gizmodo.com.

Although I don't agree with the title of the article, the paragraph headed "Internet Bitching is a Powerful Force", definitely rang true with regard to my personal experience with a Dell product and its People Power solution as detailed in said paragraph. Here's the full quote of said paragraph.

"Why It Safer Than Ever To Buy First-Generation Hardware [Hardware]

Internet Bitching is a Powerful Force

It's hard to make over a million of something and not have a few duds slip through QA—that fact will never change. Even though Apple claims that the Brick process is so simple that they "can get it right every single time," there will always be anomalies. (Humans, after all, are still involved.) A quick scan of Apple Discussions right now shows people complaining about slightly tilted function keys—the solution offered? pull up on the sunken end slightly with a prying tool.

This level of minutiae is there because now, complaining about product defects on the Internet actually gets results, and major companies are shifting their strategies because of that. Not previously known for warm fuzzy customer relations, Dell was forced to take action after increasing unreliability (and the company's tight-lipped or non-existent response) threatened to bring the whole ship down. The reaction? They created the Direct2Dell blog and IdeaStorm feedback site. Now only days after a story with unaddressed hardware issues hits Digg's front page (bad battery life, 3G reception, and on), a recall notice or firmware update goes public. Companies are learning a fundamental lesson: Having thousands of angry product owners unite on Digg to flame your defective hardware is not good.

My favorite example was Creative's unfortunate suppression of an unofficial driver—written by a totally random guy in Brazil—that gave the company's sound cards the Vista-friendly capabilities Creative itself was too lazy or distracted to publish itself. After nearly 2500 diggs later and plenty of posts from us and others, Creative finally realized it was being foolish. That's the power of internet bitching.

Article:

http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/gizmodo/full/~3/_73nxP2lfXQ/why-its-safer-than-ever-to-buy-first+generation-hardware"

So how about it you guys, how do we go about creating thousands of diggs to get Microsoft's attention with regard to this hardware/Vista 64-bit driver issue? I must confess I have no experience with creating diggs, but I suspect it's similar to a petition, which would get Microsoft's attention? Anyone with skills please pipe up, we need your help to get this thing started!

Friday, October 31, 2008 12:15 AM
  •  

"Re: Windows Vista 64 Bit and Microsoft Fingerprint Reader
    Posted by MPoz in Windows Vista Hardware

I found a version of WINDOWS VISTA x64 DigitalPersona Password Manager made by HP

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3675069&prodNameId=3650954&swEnvOID=2100&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ob-64441-1

good luck"

Hi MPoz

Thanks for your reply, I tried your suggestion but it looks like that particular version of the software (DigitalPersona Personal 3.1.0) is only compatible with HP hardware on Vista 64-Bit and the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader as I get this warning message:

"Installation cannot continue due to the following problems:

- DP Personal cannot be installed on this computer. Please contact Digital persona regarding the list of supported platforms.

Installation will be terminated. Please correct the problems and one installation again."

Seems that at least HP have listened to their customers, done a deal with DigitalPersona to bring their SW into the 21st century to extend the life of Microsoft Fingerprint Reader as. Will OEM’s & other Manu’s follow, sadly I don’t think so? We are still on our own. As a MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) I’m very disappointed in Microsoft. L

I will contact DigitalPersona & report back with their reply.

Thanks again for your help MPoz.

Monday, November 03, 2008 2:19 PM
  • Edit: OK, It won't let me post the images on the forum post so they are the first 6 images in this set at flickr.com.

I think this software is fine after looking at the insides of the extracted setup.exe file from the HP download as it installs it will extract files to C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Temp\{Guid123xyz} though what we are missing is an actual driver for the actual MSFT FP Reader for x64 Vista. If we can hack up the some form of driver that comes with this HP Notebook range or the Digital Persona 4000 Reader as they both appear so close and similar to the MSFT FP Reader we would be very close....
    Monday, November 03, 2008 2:46 PM
  •  

Yes, I got the same error.  Sounds like a good starting point...
    Monday, November 03, 2008 2:57 PM
  • I have pulled out the setup.msi file and have been trying to figure out how to bypass the check that makes sure you have an HP computer.  No luck so far, but if anyone else wants to play with it, you can get the setup.msi from the AppData folder that was mentioned above (before clicking the Finish button) and there is a program called ORCA that lets you edit the msi.

Monday, November 03, 2008 3:23 PM
  • Unfortunately, the file that actually installs the software is not the initial .msi file, but is a binary .exe that is extraced from the msi, which isn't (easily) changeable.  Unless you know your binary, you'll have mad trouble editing.  A nice find however, and there's no reason not to keep hacking at it.

I can happily report that my MS Fingerprint Reader is now working in a 64-bit environment.  A 64-bit Linux environment.

http://reactivated.net/fprint/wiki/Uru4000

Monday, November 03, 2008 3:45 PM
  • That, more than anything else makes a switch to Linux tempting.  On that page what they've done is well documented, seems far more impatial that the M$ descriptions of such devices as well.  Linux users obviously get better support from the user community and the devolopers when it comes to hardware issues.

More to the point, if this guy
    Daniel Drake can make a Linux driver for X64 systems, why the *** can't a huge company like M$ make one for their own hardware on their own OS?
    Monday, November 03, 2008 4:46 PM
  • Daniel Drake from the Wiki:- http://reactivated.net/fprint/wiki/Uru4000

The drivers supplied by Microsoft for the Microsoft devices are only available for 32-bit Windows. fprint and uru4000 work on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems. Ironically, thanks to fprint, Linux is the only 64-bit OS that supports the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader products (Windows x64 users are out of luck).

We don't have any quotes from MSFT to quote, Yours is brilliant Daniel, Thanks for putting a smile on some faces. Smile
    Monday, November 03, 2008 6:03 PM
  • I've extracted everything from the .msi.  I added the VID and PID of the MS Fingerprint Reader into the .inf files from the WinDRV folder, and it's successfully detected by x64 and tries to install the drivers, however, I get the error message "Driver is not intended for this platform".  Microsoft Fingerprint Reader becomes "Unknown Device" with a Code 28.

Oh well.  Just as an experiment, I tried to see if the 32-bit U.are.U 4000B drivers would work in Vista 32-bit, editing the .inf files with the VID and PID of the MS Reader again.  It works until I reboot, then it THINKS it's working (no errors in Device Manager), but it stays dark and is unresponsive.  I went into dpD00701.dll and tried some hex editing.  Seeing that a U.are.U 4000 is VID_05BA&PID_0007, I tried searching for 00 07 BA 05 and replacing it with the MS Reader's VID_045E&PID_00BD, 00 BD 5E 04.  This resulted in the reader lighting up dimly, but not responding to touch.  I'm thinking there may be something different in the firmware, but who knows?  I don't have a clue what I'm doing, just goofing off with it, but I'm starting to think even if the x64 drivers could be loaded, it's probably not going to work with the reader.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 5:46 AM
  • Well, if nothing else that proves it's possible to make a driver that can communicate with the M$FR in some fashion.  It looks as though if a driver is going to be made, it'll have to be done from scratch by the user community.  Obviously this happens with the Linux user community, but it seems Windows is another story...
    Wednesday, November 05, 2008 12:33 AM
  • Ok, I did a little more playing.
    It's possible to fully install the HP software and drivers by extracting Setup.msi, and then using ORCA, go to InstallUISequence.  Highlight "MsiSanityPkg", right-click and select Drop Row.  Save the .msi.  Now you can run it and install the software to completion.

Unfortunately, I still get, "Driver is not intended for this platform" in x64.  I wonder if it's because my x64 installation is a Virtual Machine?  Well, it doesn't matter because even if the driver installs, it's not going to work.  I think there is something in the host or agent services, or a controller DLL that checks the device IDs, and I've come to that hypothesis by experimenting with the 32-bit versions.

Playing with the 32-bit versions: The DP driver v4.0.0.32 WILL work when replacing the original 3.0.0.187 Microsoft drivers, but adding the VID and PID for MS Reader into the .inf file is necessary.  ONLY the DP Password Manager used with Microsoft will work, the DP Personal 3.0.0 software that comes with the 4.0.0.32 drivers does NOT work (reader stays dark).  The newest 4.0.0.88 driver will NOT work at all unless Windows\System32\dpdevctl.dll is replaced with the 4.0.0.32 version.  No drivers, not even the original MS 3.0.0.187, will work with the newer DP Personal 3.0.x software that comes in the HP package.  Seeing as how the U.are.U 4000B drivers 4.0.0.32 DO work with the MS software, I hypothesize that the drivers themselves are fine, either the DP Host or Agent services, or perhaps the DPDevice2.DLL (a device control library) needs to activate the reader, and that's where the problem lies.  They do some kind of ID checking, probably looking at VID, PID or both.

Thursday, November 06, 2008 4:27 PM
  • Hello All,

I too am extremely disappointed in Microsoft for the lack of support in developing a Vista 64Bit driver for the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader, I cannot understand how they make products (ie. Fingerprint Reader) and then write new operating systems and then fail/refuse to develop a driver so that their products work with the software.

Why should I continue to upgrade my operating system, if I cannot use the equipment I already own....

I would be willing to try and write a driver for Vista 64, I cannot promise anything but I would be willing to give it a try. Anyone care to help?

I am presently installing the Windows Driver Development Kit, and would spend time researching the previous drivers and functions of the device.

If anyone can provide links for just the drivers for the following operating systems:

Windows XP 32-Bit

Windows XP 64-Bit

Windows Vista 32 Bit

Remember, I am willing to try this and cannot promise anything so please do not bombard me with emails, I will communicate on progress when I can..

Any comments?

Andrew

Friday, November 07, 2008 7:53 PM
  • You can find links to the 64 and 32 bit drivers here:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/site/search/r4_0/jsp/search.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3675069&tx=digitalpersona

I don't really think it's necessary to completely rewrite the drivers, in fact, I don't think the drivers are the problem.
    I think there's something in the control DLLs... probably just need to change a couple bytes to recognize the Microsoft VID and PID.

As for why the 64-bit drivers won't install... it's probably because I'm using a VM.  One of these days I'll have to try the drivers on a native x64 install.

Friday, November 07, 2008 7:59 PM
  •  

Does anyone have the vista 64 drivers for the U.are.U 4000B fingerprint scanner?

Andrew

Saturday, November 08, 2008 7:33 PM
  •  

Still no drivers availeble, after all this time and all these complains with MS?

Dumb

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 8:07 PM
  • I know Microsoft may not do anyone on this issue, but I have started a petition for Microsoft to build a driver, if you are interest in signing this petition please do so at the link below. I feel that I sould not have to spend more money to buy other companys products to do the job of a product that I already own and the maker of that product is just refusing to write a 64-bit Vista driver for it..

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Microsoft-Fingerprint-Reader/index.html

{If you think the wording can be improved, please let me know and I will change/update it}

Andrew

Thursday, November 13, 2008 4:27 AM
  • Hi Andrewhuk, a few months ago y compiled varios drivers for DP and upload to rapidshare.

I copy the post with the rapidshare link to the drivers, maybe this help u.

Thanks in advance.

I recently modify the setup.msi from HP with orca, i'm on XP64 and i receive the message:

'Cannot complete the operation, u need the operative system Vista'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My old post.

Hi,i made a compilation of the uncompressed files from the .msi files for digital persona extracted with ‘universal extractor 1.5’ ,I extract the files from this .msi and .exe :  (contains a lot of  .inf,dll’s,.sys..etc)

(At the end of the post i provide links with a .rar with the following folders uncompressed)

Digital Persona 1.0 (32 Bits)

Digital Persona 2.0 (32 Bits)

Digital Persona HP Vista 64Bits (here’s the _64 .inf files I think is possible modify)

Various from Digitalpersona.com

-DP10-001

-DP10-002

-dpdrv224-85

I take a look and i see some drivers for 64 but I don’t know how,or if it’s possible modify the 64 bits .inf files, I see they are very similar ,for example  dpfprdr.inf extracted from Digital Persona 1.0 (32 Bits)

with  dPersona_x64.inf extracted from Digital Persona HP Vista 64Bits.

I’m not a programmer but maybe anyone can do something,if I can help,please tell me. J

I think the clave is in the folder Digital Persona HP Vista 64Bits,this contains a lot of files X64,I too see what some of the files in this folder are for various brands of fingerprint readers,like Upek..etc..and the .inf file too have some lines with other hardware ID and PID…

Is a good idea try to  replace the hardware Id and PID from the .inf of  Digital Persona 1.0 or 2.0 (32 Bits) for the x64 .inf

All this are just ideas,maybe help.Thanks a lot for the attention.

I Upload one rar file with all this folders and files named ‘Digital Persona uncompressed drivers (32&64).rar’

Please Scan all the folder ,(I do before compress with NOD32) but I tell u all the files are extracted from the originals .msi.

I have two links for my rar file,one from my personal ‘my opera’ (real direct download) account,I use tinyurl.com because the name is too long,and other mirror from rapidshare. The rar have not password.

http://tinyurl.com/2xvhz3   (if not work -right click and 'save target as')

Friday, November 14, 2008 8:08 PM
  • This is for anyone who wants the x64 HP Digital Persona Personal software noted above. To install the software on any computer, see this website for instructions...when it tells you to change the Product_subtype to 010, change it to 0 instead.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=299986

Saturday, November 15, 2008 8:45 AM
  •  DHonzik wrote:
    This is for anyone who wants the x64 HP Digital Persona Personal software noted above. To install the software on any computer, see this website for instructions...when it tells you to change the Product_subtype to 010, change it to 0 instead.

That works well except there is still no driver for it.

Saturday, November 15, 2008 4:23 PM
  •  Matthew1005 wrote:

DHonzik wrote:
    This is for anyone who wants the x64 HP Digital Persona Personal software noted above. To install the software on any computer, see this website for instructions...when it tells you to change the Product_subtype to 010, change it to 0 instead.

That works well except there is still no driver for it.

Are you saying that it didn't load the driver or the software doesn't include the driver for it? I am not running Vista 64, but thinking of upgrading to it shortly. I have the 32bit version installed just waiting on the U.are.U. 4000B Gold Fingerprint Scanner by Digital Persona
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 10:35 PM
  • The download contains no drivers, just the DP program.

Sunday, November 16, 2008 4:16 AM
  • Hello Fizz,

Thanks for the link, this is what I have done so far.

I have found the HP Vista 64Bit drivers in the following location:

\Digital_Persona_uncompressed_drivers__32_64_\Digital Persona HP Vista 64Bits\Windows\DPDrv\

I have looked into the dPersona_x64.inf and seen the references for the different fingerprint models, mine was not in there...

I have put my product details in and have managed to get device to now read the driver inf file and attempt to install the driver but fails.

I can see in the dPersona_x64.inf file that the following files are referenced and would also need editting, but they are encrypted (Anyone know how to decrypt these files).

dpersona_x64.cat
    usbdpfp.sys 
    dpdevctlx64.dll
    dpdevdatx64.dll
    dpD00701x64.dll
    dpI00701x64.dll
    dpK00701.sys

The "dpersona_x64.cat" file when view contains the information of the devices mentioned in the dPersona_x64.inf file.

So I think the key to solving this is to probably edit the files above and add the hid & pid if they are referenced in them.

Would you like to see my dPersona_x64.inf that I editted.

Also does anyone have the "usbdpfp.sys" that is installed on their vista32 system, after it is unpacked from the DPPM_201_ENG installation.

Andrew

Sunday, November 16, 2008 7:53 AM
  • Digital Persona just release a new verison of their software, check out their website, www.digitalpersona.com . You can ask questions to see if it will support the Microsoft Fingerprint reader at www.askpersona.com
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 10:20 AM
  • Okay,

this is the latest

DigitalPersona is offering it's SDK for FREE!!!

https://secure.digitalpersona.com/buy.digitalpersona/index.php

you sign up and they give you the link to download in your email.

this should contain the 64bit driver for vista-and you can use other digital persona software for the management software.

I am still waiting for the email from them so I can download.

KEEP you posted as to the status once I get the driver. Maybe the lic. will let me destribute the driver. I dont know.

Sunday, November 23, 2008 5:04 PM
  •  

Yes I have the 64bit driver that comes with the DP SDK

once you try to recognize the fpreader, manually updating the device to 4000B using 64bit drivers supplied with the SDK and the device is recognized.

but when I use the Digital persona manager it does not recognize the device is plugged in. I am guessing that the software is looking for a digital persona uru4000 or other.

but when I install the same software on another machine that has a fingerprint reader installed from Fujitsu, the software works flawlessly.

There needs to be a way to make the computer think that the MS reader is the uru by DP.

Not too sure how to do that yet tho. I read earlier in the thread about the firmware, but links are not wokring correctly and I do not know how to flash the unit.

any ideas?

Monday, November 24, 2008 11:48 PM
  • Hello,i download and install the sdk.

I'm on XP 64 with DP from MS fingerprint reader (exactly like this > http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/newmouse-1.jpg )

(VID_045E&PID_00BD)  and the results are this:

The SDK install without problems, ask me for reboot,i reboot and Digital Persona Onetouch not appear in the logon screen, DphostW.exe 32* appear in task manager ,and DigitalPersona One Touch SDK Windows 1.3.0 apperar in Add or remove programs.

No icon on desktop,no folder in start menu.

In device manager, Microsoft Fingerprint Reader still with '?' in yellow.At this point i'm lost.

I upload the SDK what i download from digitalpersona to Rapidshare, too i add to the .rar a folder with the setup contained in the X64 folder with all the drivers, i extracted with universal extractor from (otw-sdk130\SDK\Install\x64 > setup.msi), this setup contains a lot of drivers and inf., for example the folder x64\Setup\Windows\DPDrv.

Maybe modifing some of this files it's possible what windows detect the fingerprint.  

Here's the link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/167117260/Digital_Persona_SDK.rar

sorry for my english,good luck.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 2:38 AM
  •  

Using the SDK I only installed to get the drivers.

Once I did this, I manually installed the device in device manager with the URU4000 fpr driver for vista 64

It recognizes it corectly but statest that windows doesnt know if it is for this particular hardware.

They are exactly the same and made by Digital Persona. only firmware different.

Then I uninstalled the SDK but kept the driver. Installed Digital Persona Manager 3 for HP but used orca to edit the system_subtype to 0 allowing install on any machine.

Digital persona SDK works on my vista 32 bit system and another fingerprint reader perfectly.

but not with the MS fingerprint reader because I need to do something with the firmware to make it see the FPreader correctly.

I am almost there and need help with the firmware change.

Anyone have any ideas.

I have also purchased the Digital Persona 4 with fingerprint reader, waiting for its arrival.

Thursday, November 27, 2008 6:05 PM
  • This is beyond belief. Almost two years after the introduction, and at a time when a growing percentage of retail PCs are coming w/ Vista 64-bit, M$ STILL doesn't have drivers for their own *#)_@&^%! hardware. Is there no shame?
    MG
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 11:26 PM
  • Having read through the entire topic, I still have serious difficulties understanding why MS doesn't support FPR for 64-bit vista. A big dissappointment, and bad reputation...

Hopefully the DP SDK path leads to something, and without too serious hacking.
    Friday, January 02, 2009 3:28 PM
  • this not only has been a waste of money but a waste of time - Microsoft continues to focus on making $$$ and screwing their customers.  They are using their energy elsewhere and couldn't care less about a few hundred pissed off people - it's the numbers

but that's ok, not only has this issue moved me over to Mac, which is a dream compared with MS ____ but I now advertise to everyone I know.  If enough people spread the word and enough sales are lost to Mac, THEN and only then will they consider to stop screwing people.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:31 AM
  • Macs are cack.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 5:19 PM
  • Hi JLC. I'm very disappointed with this product and Microsoft HW Team's position. At this moment I'm at home testing an application and I need to install a Virtual PC with Windows XP. I didn't get to install XP because I need to click F8 to agree EULA and F8 doesn't work in my keyboard without a correct driver for Windows VISTA 64-bits. SHAME ON YOU !!! This keyboard is new and I woudn't like to buy other. I believe that some home users didn't upgrade from XP to Vista because this. Is it good for Microsoft?? How many work hours the HW team needs to create the correct driver??
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 5:55 PM
  • From what I understand, the Microsoft fingerprint reader/keyboard uses a variation of the U.are.U 4000B fingerprint reader.
    The Digital Persona branded fingerprint reader has Vista 64 support.
    The drivers for it can be found here...
    Vista64 Driver
    I've tried everything to attempt to modify the .INF/.CAT files for it to work for the Microsoft product, but no luck.
    I've added the hardware ID lines for the Microsoft reader, tried signing the drivers with a certificate, etc.
    I keep getting an error in device manager saying something along the lines of "Driver is not intended for this platform."
    They are native x64 drivers made for Vista, so I'm out of ideas here.
    Anyone wanna give it a go?
    Thursday, February 05, 2009 1:56 AM
  • You guys are doing it all wrong and missing the point. As agree with boycotting MS, for those who REALLY want to get answers, try contacting someone in upper management, instead of some peon customer service dude. In other words, climb the ladder as high as you can in the complaint/management department. I have learned that it DOES get results!
    Sunday, February 08, 2009 5:37 PM
  • It's a complete waste of time trying to deal with the bloated machine called Microsoft. I've recently purchased the IMAC and a Mini. WOW!!! So easy to use - so damned easy to learn!!! No annoying maintenance requirements such as temp folders and defrags - no connectivity issues - far less possibility of infections - cooler software - smaller footprint - and so much more.

All this coming from me, who currently still has his 5 desktop & 1 lappy running microsoft products, but is converting to the MAC platform. Oh yea, I almost forgot, the most important part - APPLE TECH SUPPORT AND CUSTOMER SERVICE ARE ALWAYS AVAILABLE, WITHIN OUR BORDERS (SO FAR), VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE, AND DON'T CHARGE OUTRAGEOUS FEES TO ANSWER SIMPLE QUESTIONS!!!
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:14 PM
  •  

Thanks for your interest in Microsoft Hardware products.  The Fingerprint Reader is no longer being manufactured by Microsoft but we recognize it may still be available from retailers and resellers.  The product runs on 32-bit versions of Windows XP and Windows Vista. Microsoft will not be releasing any updates for the product to run on 64-bit versions of Windows XP or Windows Vista. The product is not supported on Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit).  To ensure this is clear to our customers, the product will not install on Windows 7 (the user is warned that the application will not run). 

If you currently use the Fingerprint Reader and are unable to use your product with 64-bit versions of Windows XP or Windows Vista or the Windows 7 beta release, please visit the following Web site for assistance: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/support/fingerprintreader.mspx.

Thursday, March 12, 2009 11:33 PM
  • Okee,, "If you are attempting to use Fingerprint Reader on any Windows operating system not listed above, please contact the Supplemental Parts line (US only) at 1-800-360-7561."

What to do for non US customers, because the product was sold in europe at normal retailers...!
    Friday, March 13, 2009 3:40 PM
  • Jason_MSFT said:

The product is not supported on Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit).  To ensure this is clear to our customers, the product will not install on Windows 7 (the user is warned that the application will not run). 

Funny I have it installed,running and working on windows 7 (32bit). Albeit using compatiblity options, and of course a beta windows, so this may change.
    Monday, March 23, 2009 9:21 PM
  • I talked with the folks at DigitalPersona who wrote the software for the original fingerprint reader under XP. They have 64-bit versions of their software, but they say that "restrictive licensing agreements" with Microsoft prevent them from offering 64-bit upgrades for this device. This is a "Microsoft branded" piece of equipment. How freaking difficult can it be to write a 64-bit driver for their own hardware? Barring that, how hard could it be to at least let DigitalPersona create and sell software that would work with the device. And don't you just love the arrogant reponse above...there isn't enough of a market for Microsoft to actually support Microsoft products under the new Microsoft operating system. Personally, I like Vista, I like running 64-bit software, but this attitude makes it very clear why Vista has bombed in the marketplace. They are basically saying "Take what we give you and shut up." A compnay with enough money and talent like Microsoft should start taking its own name brand and image a little more seriously. Linux, anyone??
    Friday, March 27, 2009 1:42 PM
  • Hey, Has anyone had contact with that number listed above?? Or anyone found a solution or something? Greetings,
    Wednesday, April 01, 2009 4:40 PM