none
no internet access in sony vaio running on vista

Question

• Following a Norton update which caused a crash and then a system restore i am unable to connect to the internet. I connect wirelessly to the router but it says the access in local only. got a new router but it seems to be something up with th laptop as my desktop can connect wirelessly to the internet. I tried connecting with an ethernet cable and also tried usb but with no success. looking at some of these forums i have picked up that the IP address ould be the problem as it starts 169.xxx....... but when i click on 'get new IP settings' it says it can not perform this choose another repair.
    Friday, April 10, 2009 1:56 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Thank you for posting.

At this time, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Please check the following information:

1)    Ensure the router is compatible with Windows Vista.

2)    The driver and utility for the NICs are for Windows Vista and installed properly.

2.    Please reinstall or upgrade the drivers of NICs. (If you want, please let us know the exact brand and model of the Wireless NIC, and we may help you check the manufacturer’s website.)

If you are using some specific network management software, please also reinstall or update it.

3.    Check the network settings:

Please go to “Control Panel – Network Connections”, right click on your connection and choose “Properties”. (if you have multiple connections, please check the one you use and disable the unnecessary ones. )

1)    On the “Network Tab” of your Connection properties, please choose “Internet Protocol Version 4” and click “Properties”. And then check if both of the IP Address and DNS are set to be delivered automatically.

2)    If it is set to obtain the IP Address and DNS automatically, please try to manually assign IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and the DNS settings referring to your router’s settings to see if this works.

4.    Based on my experience, the issue may also be related to the firmware of the router. Therefore, I would like to suggest that you also check your wireless router manufacturer’s website; if there is any upgrade version of firmware, please also try it.

5.    You can also take the computer to another network to see how it works.

If the issue persists, please run “CMD” and then “ipconfig /all” to export all the network settings and post the information to this thread.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:14 AM

All replies

• Think it might caused by corrupted winsock catalog after the Norton update crash, you can reset winsock catalog and try again. If still not working, check out more tips here to solve access local only problem. 
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 2:55 AM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for posting.

At this time, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Please check the following information:

1)    Ensure the router is compatible with Windows Vista.

2)    The driver and utility for the NICs are for Windows Vista and installed properly.

2.    Please reinstall or upgrade the drivers of NICs. (If you want, please let us know the exact brand and model of the Wireless NIC, and we may help you check the manufacturer’s website.)

If you are using some specific network management software, please also reinstall or update it.

3.    Check the network settings:

Please go to “Control Panel – Network Connections”, right click on your connection and choose “Properties”. (if you have multiple connections, please check the one you use and disable the unnecessary ones. )

1)    On the “Network Tab” of your Connection properties, please choose “Internet Protocol Version 4” and click “Properties”. And then check if both of the IP Address and DNS are set to be delivered automatically.

2)    If it is set to obtain the IP Address and DNS automatically, please try to manually assign IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and the DNS settings referring to your router’s settings to see if this works.

4.    Based on my experience, the issue may also be related to the firmware of the router. Therefore, I would like to suggest that you also check your wireless router manufacturer’s website; if there is any upgrade version of firmware, please also try it.

5.    You can also take the computer to another network to see how it works.

If the issue persists, please run “CMD” and then “ipconfig /all” to export all the network settings and post the information to this thread.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:14 AM