none
Error 1053 on launching windows service

Question

• Hello,

i am dealing with a problem since more than a week and i tried every single solution i found on the net but nothing's working.
    I got some win services that do not launch (on startup and manually).

I see a 1053 error in eventLog for 3 services (and got 1053 pop-up when i launch it manually)

-spooler (print)

-hamachi

-interactive service detection (maybe this one is causing the 2 others problem)

i already installed all latest windows updates, i ran scans, anti malware, checkdisk, uninstalled a lot of programs, but the problem still exists.
    Thoses services launched succesfully on rare cases, but i don t know why (for exemple it worked just after the reboot when i uninstalled office but when i reboot again it's broken)

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check to see if the resolution in this KB is helpful.

FIX: You receive an "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion" error message when you stop or pause a managed Windows service
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839174

If the issue persist, please provided more detail information about this.

Thanks.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:43 AM
  • Hi,

I already tried to install Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1, and i'm not developping a service, i'm just using a printer and hamachi software.
    I also tried to uninstall/install several times my printer pilotes or hamachi software.

Yesterday, my pc crashed and when i rebooted i had my 2 services working (i still have the error about interactive service detection in eventLogs), but if i reboot again, the problem is the same.

I also tried to disable all but my 2 services using msconfig + reboot but the problem was still here.

I can put my eventLogs in there if u want

Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:24 AM
  • Hello

Not sure if this will help, but, worth a try. I've been fighting this exact same issue for 3 weeks. New computer build, formatted hard drive and fresh install of Windows 7 x64. Problem first appeared as no printers and spooler service not started. Trying to start spooler spits code 1053. I tried everything imaginable from tips on various forums. No Luck! Fresh install 3 times, worked for a while then messed up. Got things working fine once and did a system image when all was working well. Then sometime later after a Microsoft update, back to the same problem. System restore and Image restore would work with mixed results. Problem always resurfaced. Randomly, the services would load. When I was lucky enough to see them load, I unistalled all remnants of printer(uninstalled software, all drivers, cleared spooler and driver files in windows\system32\spool\drivers\ etc. etc., removed all registry entries for printers etc. Nothing worked! I don't even have a printer hooked up, installed or any remnants of a printer left. Spent a lot of time studying event logs and found that the same services you mentioned would not run do to timeout errors 1053.

A lot of time with Google revealed a constant reference to .Net framework 1.1 hotfix. Everthing seamed to point toward .Net Framework, but, I'm running version 4. I decided to do a repair install and at the end of the installation I got a popup window that said "Windows has recognized a problem with .Net Framework and is attempting to repair it". After about 5 minutes, the window disappeared and so has my problem, for now.

My problem always seamed to surface after a Microsoft Update. I shut Updates off for a week and never had a problem until I turned them back on. I would do a system restore to a point before an update and would get the random work/not work scenario. I'm hoping the problem was with .Net Framework that Windows repaired. Time will tell. So far, so good.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:17 PM
  • Thank you for this post ! i am not alone ! :)

it was my last idea (to repair win from cd), then i'll try it this week end.

I hope this will work.

Thanks

Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:05 PM
  • Your Welcome

Please post your results after you try this. I am not real confident the problem is gone as I've been fighting it for over three weeks. The good news is, it's been 4 days with no issues. That's about as long as it's ever worked fine. At present I have no printers hooked up or installed (just the default Microsoft fax and XPS Document Writer). The easiest way to confirm your services are running is to  click Start>Devices and Printers. If the services have failed there will be no printers listed and clicking on Add Printer will spit the error. 

On an interesting side note; After the repair install, I am now running IE 8. It used to be IE 9. I'm allowing windows to update automatically and setting custom restore points along the way. I'm curious to see what happens after an update to IE 9. As I mentioned; So far, so good!

Friday, January 25, 2013 12:53 PM
  • That's insane, i did nothing, and it worked the whole week end.
    If the issue come back i'll try to repair...
    Monday, January 28, 2013 9:50 AM
  • How does your computer connect to the printer? Is it a wired or wireless connection? Is the printer connected to another computer and the problem computer trying to connect to printer through a network connection?

The first thing to do is check what follows.

Check the status of the Print Spooler Service.

Click on the Start button and select Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. Locate Print Spooler in the list. Check that it has started and that the StartUp type is Automatic.

Check whether it has stopped and that just starting it does not solve the problem. If it is not set to Automatic right click and select Properties, General tab. There is a box after StartUp type. The options are available on a drop down by clicking on the arrow down to the right of the box. Make the change and click on Apply and OK. Restart the computer and check whether it has started.

You may need to show hidden files. Type Folder Options in the search box above the Start button and select View, Advanced Settings and verify that the box before "Show hidden files and folders" is checked and "Hide protected operating system files" is unchecked. You need to scroll down to see the second item. You should also make certain that the box before "Hide extensions for known file types" is not checked.

Now access Windows Explorer and select c:\windows\system32\spool\printers. Normally this folder should be empty but there is a problem when files with “spl” and “shd” extensions stick there. Delete the files and restart your computer. This may resolve your immediate problem.

If these suggestions do not resolve your problem I will have further suggestions.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Monday, January 28, 2013 11:23 AM

• This is a USB printer.

In fact, each time i say it does not work, i mean the spooler service is stoped and i can't start it because of 1053 error (Type is automatic).
    I'll check for the box after Startup type, but what's in this dropdown ? which value i have to choose ?

I do show hidden files already (i'll check for "hide protected" but i think it's unchecked) and i do show all extensions.
    About the emtpy folder, i already saw something about that on the internet, and as far as i can remember i tried (i'll try again, we never know).

The problem is... i need to the problem to get back to see which action resolve it ^^. (and it seems random, got it for 2 weeks and it dispareared)

Stay tuned

Monday, January 28, 2013 1:01 PM
  • A USB connection can be wired or wireless. Which are you using?

You do not need to access the drop down box if it is set to Automatic. The drop down enables you to change the StartUp type if the wrong startup type has been selected.

Now access Windows Explorer and select c:\windows\system32\spool\printers. Normally this folder should be empty but there is a problem when files with “spl” and “shd” extensions stick there. Delete the files and restart your computer. This may resolve your immediate problem. Are there any files there?

This type of problem is intermittent. You can fix it and it can return again. It used to be frequent using this computer. I now cannot remember when it last occurred.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Monday, January 28, 2013 1:22 PM
  • Well, problems back! I have no idea where to go next. Everthing worked great for about a week then When I checked Saturday morning, the Spooler service was not running.

Gerry, I'd welcome any further suggestions you have to offer. To answer some of your questions, here's a summary;

-No printers are installed except the default Microsoft Fax and XPS Document writer

-I have a Canon MP640 Wireless and when I experience the problem any other computer on my network can still print to it. It's been powered off and unplugged from power for about 2 weeks. I repeat, there are no printers installed except the 2 default Microsoft Fax and Document Writer.

-Right now they don't show up under devices and printers as the spooler is not running

-Spooler is set to automatic and all dependant services are running

-trying to start the Spooler spits error 1053

- there are no files in the directory you spoke of

-Event Viewer only shows errors for Interactive Service Detection Service and Print Spooler Service timeout errors 1053

Other than this, Computer runs like  dream. Just can't install a printer and/or keep one running if I ever get the chance to install one

Monday, January 28, 2013 1:23 PM
  • M C Ross

It is not a good idea to try to troubleshoot two computers in one conversation. Start your own thread and post a link here and I will try to help.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Monday, January 28, 2013 1:33 PM
  • A USB connection can be wired or wireless. Which are you using?

You do not need to access the drop down box if it is set to Automatic. The drop down enables you to change the StartUp type if the wrong startup type has been selected.

Now access Windows Explorer and select c:\windows\system32\spool\printers. Normally this folder should be empty but there is a problem when files with “spl” and “shd” extensions stick there. Delete the files and restart your computer. This may resolve your immediate problem. Are there any files there?

This type of problem is intermittent. You can fix it and it can return again. It used to be frequent using this computer. I now cannot remember when it last occurred.

Hope this helps, Gerry

This is Wired. I'm not at home, i'll try and i'll tell you.

@M C Ross i Think we have the exact same problem, exept i got 2 services impacted.

Monday, January 28, 2013 1:44 PM
  • Well, problems back! I have no idea where to go next. Everthing worked great for about a week then When I checked Saturday morning, the Spooler service was not running.

Gerry, I'd welcome any further suggestions you have to offer. To answer some of your questions, here's a summary;

-No printers are installed except the default Microsoft Fax and XPS Document writer

-I have a Canon MP640 Wireless and when I experience the problem any other computer on my network can still print to it. It's been powered off and unplugged from power for about 2 weeks. I repeat, there are no printers installed except the 2 default Microsoft Fax and Document Writer.

-Right now they don't show up under devices and printers as the spooler is not running

-Spooler is set to automatic and all dependant services are running

-trying to start the Spooler spits error 1053

- there are no files in the directory you spoke of

-Event Viewer only shows errors for Interactive Service Detection Service and Print Spooler Service timeout errors 1053

Other than this, Computer runs like  dream. Just can't install a printer and/or keep one running if I ever get the chance to install one

As you have to start your own thread, add me on messenger, we'll see if have something in common that can cause this problem (same motherboard, same mouse; same screen =) )

shake_moi arobas hotmail dot com

Monday, January 28, 2013 1:53 PM
  • They may be the same but they may just seem similar.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Monday, January 28, 2013 2:40 PM
  • To be sure, he should intall hamachi to see if he has the problem on it also on this service =)
    Monday, January 28, 2013 2:42 PM
  • As requested I have started a new thread. It won't let me paste the link here. How do I provide the link?

Mike Ross

Monday, January 28, 2013 8:25 PM
  • Mike

I have found your thread.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Monday, January 28, 2013 10:50 PM
  • Ok, i checked and no file in "printers". By the way it would be surprising that this file causes a problem with hamachi as there is no dependances. 
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:07 AM
  • It could be Hamachi that is complicating finding a solution.

What version of Windows 7 is installed on your computer? Is it Starter, Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, Enterprise or ??

Hope this helps, Gerry

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:01 AM
  • Ultimate. (64b)

I don't think hamachi is complicating, he's a victim, like spooler. I could try to uninstall hamachi but i already did it 2 weeks ago, but i can try uninstall + look in the "printers" folder.
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:19 AM
  • What version of Windows 7 is installed on your computer? Is it Starter, Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, Enterprise or ??

Does the computer belong to you or your employer?

Hope this helps, Gerry

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:30 AM
  • as i said, it's ultimate.

And the computer belongs to me

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 1:46 PM
  • A computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 intermittently cannot use a shared network printer to print

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2388142

#appliesto

•Windows 7 Enterprise

•Windows 7 Professional

•Windows 7 Ultimate

Hope this helps, Gerry

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:52 AM
  • It's not a shared network. This is an wired USB printer, connected to my computer, and i try to print from this computer

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:36 AM
  • Select Start, Control Panel, Programs and Features View Installed Updates. Is KB2753842 listed as installed? On what date was it installed?

Hope this helps, Gerry

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:00 PM
  • It's installed since 22/12/2012
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:52 PM
  • Jerome

I think we should check whether your problems are caused by something not intended when Microsoft issued KB 2753842.

For the purpose of testing please disable Automatic Updating. A lot of problems arise from setting Windows Update to automatically update. You may prefer to change this setting. Select Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Change Settings. Under Important Updates is a box showing the current setting. Click on the Arrow down to the right and change the selection to “Check for Updates but let me choose whether to download and install them” and click on OK. Restart your computer.

Next select Start, Control Panel, Programs and Features View Installed Updates, select KB2753842 and uninstall. Restart your computer.

Do the errors regarding your printer stop?

Hope this helps, Gerry

Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:23 PM
  • I already turned off windows update last week, and i don t have the issue anymore, i guess it could be the solution.

But i still have this KB installed... I won't try unless the problem come back

Monday, February 04, 2013 12:46 PM
  • Jerome

You should not stop installing Windows Updates.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Monday, February 04, 2013 1:35 PM
  • Yes, but you're asking me to turn off auto update and uninstall a kb to resolve the problem.

Does it mean i could get the problem agian if i turn updates on again ?
    Monday, February 04, 2013 2:43 PM
  • Jerome

If you uninstall and turn Automatic Updates back on the system will reinstall KB2753842. This will stop the test before we discover whether it is KB2753842 that is responsible for your problem. When we are satisfied that KB2753842 is the problem we can check for updates and hide the update. If you then want to resume using Automatic Updating you can then do so without fear of KB2753842 being installed.

Hope this helps, Gerry

• Proposed as answer by Mikhail93 Wednesday, April 24, 2013 11:59 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mikhail93 Wednesday, April 24, 2013 11:59 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Mikhail93 Wednesday, April 24, 2013 11:59 AM
    Wednesday, February 06, 2013 12:32 AM
  • Hi-

Just thought I'd pop in and let you know that I was having the same problem over and over again.  I followed Gerry's advice and found shd files that I deleted and the problem was solved.  Hoping it remains that way! 

Thanks!

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 10:47 PM
  • Jerome

If you uninstall and turn Automatic Updates back on the system will reinstall KB2753842. This will stop the test before we discover whether it is KB2753842 that is responsible for your problem. When we are satisfied that KB2753842 is the problem we can check for updates and hide the update. If you then want to resume using Automatic Updating you can then do so without fear of KB2753842 being installed.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Hello? I was fighting the same. Apparently, the KB2753842 was the source of the problem. Everything fine after uninstalling it and restrting computer with W7 Pro on board.
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 11:59 AM
  • Gerry,

I have been wrestling with the same problem as Jerome for an age. Followed the thread and instructions in order and it looks like the removal of the Windows Update file KB2753842 has fixed it for me. I would like to turn automatic updates back on though and so can you advise how to 'hide the update' so that I can do that please?

Thanks

Werpoy

Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:19 PM
  • Select Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Check for Updates.  Hide the Update.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Thursday, June 20, 2013 6:01 PM
  • Thanks Gerry. I have hidden that update. Having done that, can I switch auto-updates back on or should I leave the settings as they are and continue to install manually please?

Werpoy

Monday, June 24, 2013 1:22 PM
  • You can revert to Automatic Updating and, because the update is hidden, the system will not try to reinstall the update. Other updates will install as before.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Monday, June 24, 2013 1:42 PM