Since you could go into Safe Mode, then rename the Pending.xml file by following steps:
1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc in the DVD drive, and then restart the computer.
2. Press any key when you are prompted to restart from the disc.
3. When you are prompted, configure the Language to install, Time and currency format, and Keyboard or input method options that you prefer, and then click "Next".
4. On the Install Windows page, click "Repair your computer".
5. On the System Recovery Options page, click the version of the Windows Vista operating system that you want to repair, and then click "Next".
6. On the System Recovery Options page, click "Command Prompt".
7. Type cd C:\windows\winsxs, and then press "ENTER".
Please note: There is a space between “cd” and “C:\windows\winsxs”.
8. Type ren pending.xml pending.old, and then press "ENTER".
9. Type exit at the command prompt, and then press "ENTER".
10. Click "Restart".
Microsoft is conducting an online survey to understand your opinion of the Technet Web site. If you choose to participate, the online survey will be presented to you when you leave the Technet Web site.