none
System won't start - Error 0xc000014c and System Repair fails to work.

Question

• Hi,

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium x64 on my Dell Inspiron 1520 Notebook and I had to force shut down the computer yesterday because it was unresponsive (Programs wouldn't execute, shut-down didn't work). When I turned it back on I got an error screen:

Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the Problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language settings, and click "Next."

3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\config\system

Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.

ENTER=Continue           ESC=Exit

I inserted my Windows Installation disc and pressed ESC to restart, then pressed F12 and booted from the DVD-drive. I waited for the "Windows is loading files..." and "(c) Microsoft Corporation" loading bars, then clicked on "Next" at the language page and "Repair your computer" at the install Vista page. A loading box pops up "Searching for Windows installations..." and after a few minutes I can access the "System Recovery Options" box, which shows my OS. I select it and click "next", but an error message pops up saying:

System Recovery Options

This version of system recovery options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows.

[OK]

The other option at the bottom of "System Recovery Options" is "Load Drivers." If I click OK, I can see all the folders on the installation disc, and any Setup Information (*.inf) Files. I can also browse my whole drive, but I cannot open any files other than .inf. I can even navigate to my USB stick if I plug it in. I tried opening each of the .inf files that I found in "sources" which was where "Open" opened to but this happened for all of them:

Add Drivers

The specified location does not contain information about your hardware.

[OK]

My first question: is there an .inf file that I could download and access from the USB stick that would repair my system?

I also wanted to do a system restore, and found instructions how to burn a Vista x64 recovery disc from a downloadable iso on the HowtoGeek.com (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/). I booted from my newly burned system recovery disc, and it went through the two loading screens, and then to a black screen with the cursor. I waited here for about 20 minutes and nothing seemed to be happening, so I gave up.

My second question: How can I get the system recovery disc to work?

My initial post was on HowtoGeek.com forums:

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/startup-error-0xc000014c-cannot-repair-or-restore-my-system?replies=2#post-50643

And I was referred here.

Any advice is appreciated, in the mean time, I will keep trying the recovery disc to do a system restore. Maybe I just need to wait longer (Hours, days?)

Sincerely,

Daniel

*EDIT

I guess I will just reinstall Windows.

Thursday, October 02, 2008 7:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Daniel,

The reason why the error message “This version of system recovery options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair” appears can be that your Windows installation is a RTM one while Server Pack 1 is installed on you system. Therefore, your disk version is lower than your system so that you cannot use this disk to enter WinRE.

The recovery disk you created is a third-party tool which we are not familiar with. We cannot tell why it does not work on your computer. You need to contact the tool manufacturer for more information.

Now the simplest way to resolve this issue is to restore the system to its factory settings. If you have important files on the computer, please unplug the drive and install it on another computer as a slave drive. Then you can access your data on that computer. After that, you can restore the system to its factory settings. If you would like to know how to restore the system to its factory settings, please contact Dell or look up your computer manual.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, October 03, 2008 3:36 AM
  • Thanks for the advice Tim,

I decided to reinstall windows from the setup disc that was shipped with my laptop. But I got another error during the installation: Error Setup Files are Corrupt. The Disc Self Test utility for my hard drive gives me error 2000-0146, "There are errors posted in your DST log" which according to the Dell support means I may need to replace my drive. That may have been the root of the problems, because according to my windows update, SP1 never successfully installed. Hopefully once I resolve the drive problem, Windows will install correctly. Thanks again anyways for your help.

Sincerely,

Daniel

*EDIT

Dell shipped me a new hard drive, because they believe my old drive has problems. My laptop is working well so far with the new drive. No errors as I update and reinstall all my programs.

Saturday, October 04, 2008 5:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Daniel,

The reason why the error message “This version of system recovery options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair” appears can be that your Windows installation is a RTM one while Server Pack 1 is installed on you system. Therefore, your disk version is lower than your system so that you cannot use this disk to enter WinRE.

The recovery disk you created is a third-party tool which we are not familiar with. We cannot tell why it does not work on your computer. You need to contact the tool manufacturer for more information.

Now the simplest way to resolve this issue is to restore the system to its factory settings. If you have important files on the computer, please unplug the drive and install it on another computer as a slave drive. Then you can access your data on that computer. After that, you can restore the system to its factory settings. If you would like to know how to restore the system to its factory settings, please contact Dell or look up your computer manual.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, October 03, 2008 3:36 AM
  • Thanks for the advice Tim,

I decided to reinstall windows from the setup disc that was shipped with my laptop. But I got another error during the installation: Error Setup Files are Corrupt. The Disc Self Test utility for my hard drive gives me error 2000-0146, "There are errors posted in your DST log" which according to the Dell support means I may need to replace my drive. That may have been the root of the problems, because according to my windows update, SP1 never successfully installed. Hopefully once I resolve the drive problem, Windows will install correctly. Thanks again anyways for your help.

Sincerely,

Daniel

*EDIT

Dell shipped me a new hard drive, because they believe my old drive has problems. My laptop is working well so far with the new drive. No errors as I update and reinstall all my programs.

Saturday, October 04, 2008 5:26 PM
  • I know this is an ancient old thread but I am having an issue trying to use the boot disc on my Sony Viao as well. The error I am getting is the same as I am getting when I first turn the laptop on. It reads much like the one above with a slight difference:

Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the Problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language settings, and click "Next."

3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \boot\bcd

Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.

ENTER=Continue           ESC=Exit

I tried both boot discs. I can hear the drive kick in as I've disabled everything but the CD drive and the hard disk in the boot options. Each time, it still drops to this error. I have another Viao desktop pc but it's got XP SP2. Because the laptop is the issue, I cant neccessarily take the hard drive out and set it as a slave on the pc to move my files, can I? What are my options here?

Sunday, April 25, 2010 3:22 PM
  • Solution:

Forget about the Crazy button F8 it doesn't do anything!

Instead when booting press F10 multiple times to go into the the system restore menu... Do a system restore which is the first option to a specific point of time where the last known good system was running... as Windows Vista saves a version every 5 days for the best known boot!

the restore box appears behind the menu that's already filling the screen make sure u can see it!!!!

If the system asks for checking corrupt files do it! and go make yourself a cup of tea as it will take around 15~30 min

you might come back to find the system is frozen... if so restart and do the same steps again! Don't worry as the problem is already there and you are not gonna make it worse!

once the system finishes restoring the last good known Windows (I can't remember if it will automatically restart or it will ask you to) but anyway it will restart and guess what's loading............. Oh yeah! It's your old Windows!

Let it load and go make another cup of tea as it will tell you in a small box that the system is restored successfully!

do another shutdown/restart to make sure everything is working perfectly!

Enjoy or shall I say Winjoy!

• Proposed as answer by Dana Indiana Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:19 AM
    Monday, May 16, 2011 1:17 AM
  • I see that is an old thread, and lots of good information here, but my problem is that i have BITLOCKER installed on the fracking computer, so i cant just stick the install disc in and repair it. i can hook the HDD up to another computer with BITLOCKER tools on it, but i was unsuccessful at repairing the HDD. I did a Disk Check for Errors, and "none" came up, but when i tried the disc again, i was still blocked by the same problem. is there a FREE tool that i can use to repair that part of the registry or that file to make it work? like copy it from my computer or soemthing onto that HDD?
    Saturday, June 04, 2011 11:33 AM
  • Dear Joseph Kerollos!

Dear Dear Joseph Kerollos!!!!!

Your instructions worked famously!!!  Thank you for taking the time to address this issue. 

I was banging my forehead on the screen until your F10 rescued me!

Much love and success.  Thanks to the folks who run the forum.  Obviously, a good idea to leave some of these older issues up!

(btw... I went back a few days farther than my Sony said...  may have been another reason it worked the first time.  I figured, I don't want to be so close to the point where the problem happened.  I will compute on a different path this time!) 

*hugs*

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:28 AM
  • I know this is old but when I did as you said and got a lot farther ahead I still only got a command prompt;

[  /NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT....

any thoughts

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:54 AM
  • joseph u are the best thanks a lot for the help! i only made the account here to say thanks yo you :)
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 9:59 AM
  • This does NOT work either...cannot get to system restore as windows does not boot up at all.neither can you get to anything beyond insert installation disc as this will not go into language settings or repair.Followed all instrutions but this is as far as it will go even after repeatedly pressing f8 or f10.
    Sunday, May 20, 2012 2:54 PM
  • me too.windows installation does NOT work at all and cannot get beyond number1 as language settings does not come up and cannot get to number2 or repair.
    Sunday, May 20, 2012 2:57 PM
  • This does NOT work either...cannot get to system restore as windows does not boot up at all.neither can you get to anything beyond insert installation disc as this will not go into language settings or repair.Followed all instrutions but this is as far as it will go even after repeatedly pressing f8 or f10.
    My Inspiron 1525 is doing the same thing. I cannot get to "Repair my computer" to restore or anything. My installation disc does nothing except to load files, then shuts down. I do have an registry error that shows up OxcOOOO14c. Can anyone help me?
    Monday, May 21, 2012 7:40 PM
  • I know this is old but when I did as you said and got a lot farther ahead I still only got a command prompt;

[  /NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT....

any thoughts

Yeah I'm stuck at this stage with my Toshiba Satallite laptop running Windows 7. Charger must have a lose wire, laptop went off, turned on to find corrupt or missing file. Can't do anything, won't even boot from a windows 7 disk I borrowed off a friend, and F10 takes me to the above quoted screen =( Help please?
    Saturday, July 07, 2012 10:09 AM
  • Back-up your data from the HDD through a SATA/IDE to USB adapter onto another computer

Copy the windows boot disk / installation files on a USB stick 

Because failed to boot from CD/DVD , try to boot from USB stick and re-install OS or repair 

I had same problem with a friends laptop and this worked for me. I prefer to re-install fresh to make sure there no corrupted files left . 

• Edited by FlyOrDie Friday, September 28, 2012 4:21 AM
    Friday, September 28, 2012 4:20 AM
  • Hello,

That's what I did and it worked fine for me. Notice that Under Windows 8 there's a "registry backup" in the folder "\Windows\system32\config\" that helps a lot. I just had to copy files from that directory to the regular directory and replug the HDD. It might be the same with Vista and 7. Sorry for my English, I hope you'll understand.

Regards.

Laurent.

Saturday, January 18, 2014 11:09 PM