none
xp mode - network drive rename affects ALL mapped drives

Question

• I am running XP mode in Win 7 Pro. I have mapped 3 network drives in XP mode, but if I rename ONE of them, it renames ALL of them to that same name.

Example: if I rename drive W to 'Miscellaneous', it also renames drives V and X to 'Miscellaneous'. It doesn't matter which drive I rename - XP mode then renames ALL of them.

I expected to find a fix in Microsoft, but I don't see one.

Help?

Thanks.

Saturday, November 05, 2011 12:14 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I have tested on my Windows 7 XP mode, but I cannot repeat this issue, you could try to configure Windows XP to start in a “clean boot” state:

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state

Alex

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, November 09, 2011 9:17 AM
  • Thanks for your answer, I'm going to try this one out myself tomorrow to see if I can somehow reproduce.

I'm not sure if you know this feature, but because you said that the original data resides on the host machine I'd also like to share that you can give the XP mode session direct access to your drives on the host.

In order to do this you'd need to check the properties of the virtual machine and check the intergation properties option. Not only does it allow you to turn it on or off during start, but also allows you to share the drives on the host with the virtual machine.

That will also allow you to create shortcuts for places you need to access more often. For example; I have a "transfer" share on my D drive in Win7. Using the option I mentioned here I also keep a 'transfer' shortcut on the Win XP desktop which, when opening, gives me direct access to the directory on the host.

I'm still going to try to see if I can reproduce, but figured I'd mention this option anyway because it might help you solve the issue more quickly (using a different approach, but still).

With kind regards, Peter
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 12:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have tested on my Windows 7 XP mode, but I cannot repeat this issue, you could try to configure Windows XP to start in a “clean boot” state:

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state

Alex

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, November 09, 2011 9:17 AM
  • Just to rule out the obvious: how did you map these drives?

For example; did you actually map these from within XP itself or did you use options in Virtual PC to get contents from the host accessible in your virtual machine ?

With kind regards, Peter
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:34 AM
  • Peter:

I mapped them within XP, using "My Computer / Tools / Map Network Drive".  (I'm calling them drives but the mapped targets are actually folders.)

The target folders are in the Windows 7 "host" (on the same machine), in case that matters.  And at least one of them is a sub-folder to another of the mapped folders.  For example, if I select drive V, I'll get the main folder; if I select drive W, I'll get the sub-folder.  

Here's what happens: if I re-name a mapped drive in XP; for example, re-name drive V to be Drive V main folder and then re-name drive W to be drive W sub-folder, this appears to work OK - they have different names.

But if I CLOSE My Computer in XP, then re-open it, both drive names now contain the same name (still different drive letters) - in this case they'll be drive V sub-folder and drive W sub-folder It appears that which ever one I re-named LAST stays intact and the other one has been re-named.  But clicking either of them takes me to the correct folder or sub-folder, so the behind-the-scenes mapping seems to remain intact.  Just the name displayed in My Computer has changed!

Thanks.  d.v.v.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:10 PM
  • Alex: I'll try this and let you know.

d.v.v.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:10 PM
  • Thanks for your answer, I'm going to try this one out myself tomorrow to see if I can somehow reproduce.

I'm not sure if you know this feature, but because you said that the original data resides on the host machine I'd also like to share that you can give the XP mode session direct access to your drives on the host.

In order to do this you'd need to check the properties of the virtual machine and check the intergation properties option. Not only does it allow you to turn it on or off during start, but also allows you to share the drives on the host with the virtual machine.

That will also allow you to create shortcuts for places you need to access more often. For example; I have a "transfer" share on my D drive in Win7. Using the option I mentioned here I also keep a 'transfer' shortcut on the Win XP desktop which, when opening, gives me direct access to the directory on the host.

I'm still going to try to see if I can reproduce, but figured I'd mention this option anyway because it might help you solve the issue more quickly (using a different approach, but still).

With kind regards, Peter
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 12:54 AM