none
Treating all future networks as a public network > how disable that popup and set it to public

Question

• I have a lot of sys-prepped machines, and when they are attached to a network

They show a popup new network discovered, and if it should be treated as private / work / public.
    Well i dont want that popup, i want to disable it from ever pop-ing up, and i need to set all future discovered network as public.

How do i disable the popup, and set future discovered networks default to public.
    By wmic / vbs / powershell  or some c# code ?

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 2:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• Whenever you see the popup dialog, select the option Treat all future  networks as public, and don't ask me again. This will treat all the future networks a public only. And if you need to change the location, click on the location type under the network name and change it to the preferred location (for eg, in the below image, Home network under SPI-Private is clicked to display the dialog).

For additional information on implementing through PowerShell, you can refer Set-NetConnectionProfile topic from TechNet Library. Excerpt from the reference link (example) is given below:

PS C:\> $Profile = Get-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceAlias Ethernet1

PS C:\> $Profile.NetworkCategory = Public

PS C:\> Set-NetConnectionProfile -InputObject $Profile

The first command gets the connection profile for the network adapter named Ethernet1. The command stores the results in the $Profile variable.

The second command assigns the value of Public to the NetworkCategory property of the connection profile stored in the $Profile variable.

The third command sets the network category of the connection profile stored in the $Profile variable.

Balaji Kundalam

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:51 PM
  • Maybe i wasnt clear, i dont want to click anything, i want it to be set public as default by scripting or coding

And i never want to see that popup.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 8:51 PM
  • found a working solution by combining these 2 docs, it works slightly
    different then powershell sample but is exactly what i wanted

disable it http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg252535%28v=ws.10%29.aspx
    and http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/71408-unidentified-networks-set-private-public.html

• Marked as answer by PGT2008 Friday, July 19, 2013 8:28 PM
    • Edited by PGT2008 Friday, July 19, 2013 8:28 PM typo
    Friday, July 19, 2013 8:28 PM
  • Thanks for replying with your solution. This is something we have been looking for as well.
    Saturday, January 04, 2014 2:13 AM