none
Creat virtual [vhd] image and boot from a real working machine

Question

• I have a laptop that is running Windows XP SP3.   I used  a program that coverted the disk to a vhd file.  I then create a virutal machine settings that linked to this vhd file.  When I attemp to boot the Virutal machine it bring up the XP splash screen and hangs.  If I press f8 and go to safe mode[normal safe mode, or with command prompt] it shows the list of files loading and hangs there as well.  Any advise?

Saturday, May 19, 2012 2:46 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

Please boot the xp into Safe Mode, disable the driver for the PCI AOpen modem or remove the modem completely. See how it goes.

Thanks. If this doesn't work, we may should replace the following registry hive. Mostly it was caused by the system load a third-party dirver that caused the issue.

A. Boot server to Recovery Console:

1. Start your computer by using the Windows CD-ROM. 
    2. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to repair the installation, and then press C to start Recovery Console. 
    3. Select the Windows installation that you want to repair, and then press ENTER. 
    1. Type the Administrator password, and then press ENTER.

Kb816104: How to replace a driver by using Recovery Console in Windows Server 2003

Kb326215: How To Use the Recovery Console on a Windows Server 2003-Based Computer That Does Not Start

B. rebuild the .HIV file.

1. Restart your computer into the RC
    2. In CMD, go to: %systemroot%\ System32\Config
    3. Run: ren system system.old
    1. Go to: %systemroot%\Repair
    1. Run: copy system  %systemroot%\system32\config
    2. We can replace hives : System, Software, SAM, DEFAULT, SECURITY
    3. Restart your computer.

Note: The .HIV file in %systemroot%\Repair is a backup registry HIV which created when the OS has been installed. So, it doesn’t save the change after that. If the server starts up after the above replacement, we need to suggest customer to send us the backup system.old HIV…, and try to repair them.

If this still doesn't work, we may consider P2V a clean windows xp. Thanks.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, June 15, 2012 9:11 AM

All replies

• Windows XP w/SP3 will not boot as a .VHD file.

That capability was introduced in Windows 7.  I don't know if you can boot a Vista .VHD since it's pre Win 7.

If you search the internet you might find a third party utility that would allow a Windows XP .VHD to boot as you want.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, May 19, 2012 3:06 PM
  • I an refering to booting in Virtual PC with the vhd file,  sorry
    Saturday, May 19, 2012 3:15 PM
  • My guess is there is a hardware platform issue.

If the veriosn on the laptop is an OEM version, it is a violation of the Microsoft End User Agreeement License (EULA) to move that system to any other platform, hardware or virtual.  An OEM license is not transferable.  It belongs to the original hardware for life, and most of the brand name OEM versions are locked to the OEM BIOS signature.  If the OEM install is BIOS locked, it will not even install from the original disks unless it finds the required BIOS signature when the install starts.

What software did you use to convert to the .VHD file?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, May 19, 2012 4:30 PM
  • I used Disk2vhd v1.63 to make the vhd

Saturday, May 19, 2012 4:53 PM
  • But, is it an OEM version of XP?

Read the following info @ http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx :

Note: Physical-to-virtual hard drive migration of a Windows installation is a valid function for customers with Software Assurance and full retail copies of Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. Software Assurance provides users valuable benefits—please contact Microsoft Corporation for further information. Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 installed by Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) using OEM versions of these products may not be transferred to a virtual hard drive in accordance with Microsoft licensing terms.

This is found at the end of the info about Disk2vhd.

Saturday, May 19, 2012 6:54 PM
  • I have no idea if it is OEM or not.

In either case I don't think that is the problem.  Looking up what you said, I would be getting an activation issue.  The thing is I am not able to boot into windows at all, so I am not even getting that far.  Example, if I press f8 before windows starts and select an option like "disable auto restart on error", the text just stays on the screen.  If I get the window that ask the user to boot normal or safe with a counter, if I leave the window alone the text never disappears,  if I select something the counter just sits at the numeber it was on when I hit enter.

Monday, May 21, 2012 2:31 PM
  • 1. What size is the hard drive you made into a VHD?  If the entire disk size was over 127GB that's the root cause. VPC will not boot from a disk over 127GB.  You need to reduce the size of the disk, not the data or partition size, to 127GB or less.

2. If the disk is less than 127GB, then likely there's too large of a delta in the hardware (disk controllers, mb, etc).  You'll need to boot from an XP CD and to a repair installation so that XP can detect and install the correct drivers.

Monday, May 21, 2012 5:01 PM
  • Mounting into Windows 7 shows it as 90G total drive size.

I took my XP home disk booting it with this virutal disk, and started a repair.  After it finished deleting files for the 1st step of the install, it restarts and windows gives a stop error of bad_pool_caller

Monday, May 21, 2012 11:10 PM
  • Hi Joe,

Please try the following steps:

1. Perform a clean boot of Windows XP (Phiscal)

Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.

Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the open box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.

On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box.

On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

Click OK, Choose Don’t show this message again and then click Restart.

2. Open a command line and type fltmc to check if there is any third-party filter drivers. If so, please uninstall them.

3. Use Disk2vhd to convert the computer to vhd again.

Disk2vhd
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415

4. Do not attach any device other than vhd to this vm. If the boot up still hangs, please Enable Boot Logging for this vm.  

This option turns on logging when the computer is started with any of the Safe Boot options except Last Known Good Configuration. The Boot Logging text is recorded in the Ntbtlog.txt file in the %SystemRoot% folder.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

5. Then turn off the vm and attach the vhd on windows 7 and check Ntbtlog.txt to see which driver is the last invoked.

Thanks.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 11:31 AM
  • Sorry for the delay.   I like the idea, will record this info if I need it for the furture.   Anyway in this case, the computer[laptop] had gone bad.  I am trying to boot the machine to get some information out of a program that is on the machine.  We do not have disk for the program.  I only can access the data if the computer is  running.

Thanks

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:36 PM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for the information. If you can't recreate the steps then we can perform an inplace upgrade to see how it works. For more information, please see:

How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978788

Thanks.

Friday, June 08, 2012 8:37 AM
  • When I try the repair, I get a bad_pool_caller error.

I took my XP home disk booting it with this virutal disk, and started a repair.  After it finished deleting files for the 1st step of the install, it restarts and windows gives a stop error of bad_pool_caller

Friday, June 08, 2012 12:37 PM
  • Sorry for the delay.   I like the idea, will record this info if I need it for the furture.   Anyway in this case, the computer[laptop] had gone bad.  I am trying to boot the machine to get some information out of a program that is on the machine.  We do not have disk for the program.  I only can access the data if the computer is  running.

Thanks

What is the exact make, model, and series of the laptop?

If Windows XP was installed by the manufacturer/vendor, then it is most likely an OEM version.  Many of the OEM versions of XP were BIOS locked to the original system and will not work on any other platform.

Friday, June 08, 2012 4:08 PM
  • Hi ,

Please boot the xp into Safe Mode, disable the driver for the PCI AOpen modem or remove the modem completely. See how it goes.

Thanks. If this doesn't work, we may should replace the following registry hive. Mostly it was caused by the system load a third-party dirver that caused the issue.

A. Boot server to Recovery Console:

1. Start your computer by using the Windows CD-ROM. 
    2. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to repair the installation, and then press C to start Recovery Console. 
    3. Select the Windows installation that you want to repair, and then press ENTER. 
    1. Type the Administrator password, and then press ENTER.

Kb816104: How to replace a driver by using Recovery Console in Windows Server 2003

Kb326215: How To Use the Recovery Console on a Windows Server 2003-Based Computer That Does Not Start

B. rebuild the .HIV file.

1. Restart your computer into the RC
    2. In CMD, go to: %systemroot%\ System32\Config
    3. Run: ren system system.old
    1. Go to: %systemroot%\Repair
    1. Run: copy system  %systemroot%\system32\config
    2. We can replace hives : System, Software, SAM, DEFAULT, SECURITY
    3. Restart your computer.

Note: The .HIV file in %systemroot%\Repair is a backup registry HIV which created when the OS has been installed. So, it doesn’t save the change after that. If the server starts up after the above replacement, we need to suggest customer to send us the backup system.old HIV…, and try to repair them.

If this still doesn't work, we may consider P2V a clean windows xp. Thanks.

Friday, June 15, 2012 9:11 AM