none
Product key doesnt match the current windows SKU

Question

• I just got a new laptop, it came with windows 7. I tried to install it, it was going great. But, Now im trying to type in my product number and I keep getting the error message "Product key does not match the current windows SKU" Ive tried looking it up but the only solutions I could find were for windows 7 professional. So now I'm asking, does anyone know how I can fix this?
    Friday, January 29, 2010 9:07 PM

Answers

• Thank you to all of you guys, you were right, it was the product number for windows XP, I ended up asking my boyfriend to come look at it.. apparently he re-installed it and got a product key online or something.. Im not quite sure.. but i just installed it wrong.. But thanks to you guys anyways.
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 6:29 AM

All replies

• wait wait wait, you said it came with Windows 7, so why are you trying to install it? What was originally installed on that laptop? What exactly what version (Starter, Home Premium what?) and what did you try to install?  Where did the key come from? Where did the operating system you tried to install come from?  Only way to fix it is to put your laptop's recovery CD in and let it put it back to factory defaults since we don't know what you did yet exactly. At this point its sounding like you used a product key from one product to try and activate another product version.  Sounds like you were trying to do something like an anytime upgrade but foobarred on the product key.
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Proposed as answer by cdobbs Tuesday, February 02, 2010 6:02 AM
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 12:04 AM
  • A computer manufacturer who preinstalls Windows 7 is responsible for product support.  Contact the manufacturer of your new PC for assistance.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 12:52 AM
  • No, it came with the CD for windows 7 in the case, on the computer is XP. The key is written on the bottom of the laptop. Any ideas?
    Monday, February 01, 2010 3:45 AM
  • My guess is that the label at the bottom of your laptop is the one for Windows XP. If that is the case, you cannot use zhis key for Windows 7.

You may take a photo of this label, black out the license data, and post the picture on some free picture hosting web server. We can then give you more info.
    Monday, February 01, 2010 8:57 AM
  • Hi ElliMcRawr,

I also think the product key on the bottom of the laptop is for the preinstalled operating system of the laptop.

Please check if you can find the product key for Windows 7 in the case.

If not, contact your laptop vendor for more information.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 4:47 AM
  • Arthur is right, the COD key label is for Windows XP that came pre-installed on your laptop which is why you got the error message when you tried to use that key for the Windows 7 key. The Windows 7 key should be either printed on a COD Label that could be affixed to the package the Windows 7 was in OR it is printed on the package or on something in the DVD package.  If its like some Dell units I get, the key is preconfigured and when you put the OEM CD in, it'll just need to be activated. But if it asked you for a key, then look for it in or on the package the Windows 7 DVD came in.
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 6:07 AM
  • Thank you to all of you guys, you were right, it was the product number for windows XP, I ended up asking my boyfriend to come look at it.. apparently he re-installed it and got a product key online or something.. Im not quite sure.. but i just installed it wrong.. But thanks to you guys anyways.
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 6:29 AM