none
Windows Update Error 800F0922 and 80071A91

General discussion

• I've previously upgraded my PC from Windows 7 to 8, and everything had been working fine for a few months, when suddenly I was no longer able to install Windows Updates, and started have issues in certain other programs.  After trying numerous thing to correct them, including refreshing and resetting Windows, I decided to try a clean install.  After which, my PC ran incredibly slowly due to a supposed HDD failure (which doesn't make sense to me, as the supposed faulty drive only had media files on it, and nothing to do with the OS), however I unplugged the drive and Windows appeared to install fine.

Now not only can I still not install any Windows Updates (I get errors 800F0922 and 80071a91, depending on which updates I attempt), but I also cannot install iTunes or Plex Media server (both produce an error with Microsoft.VC90.CRT)

I attempted a second clean install, thinking that perhaps something had gone wrong with the install, although I am still having the same problem.  When I initially run Windows Update, any device drivers install perfectly, but any updates fail

I've googled extensively for all of these errors, and tried numerous fixes, but nothing has worked so far

Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:24 AM

All replies

• 80071A91 = ERROR_RM_NOT_ACTIVE

Open Explorer (make sure you have the open enabled to see hidden/system files), go to

C:\Windows\System32\config\TxR 

and delete all files there. Now run

fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\

and reboot. Now try to install the VC++ Runtime again.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:09 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the response Andre

I've already tried that to no avail.  The 2012 vcredist installs fine, but the problem persists, or any previous versions I have attempted either bring up an error message saying they or not for my version of Windows, or a similar error to iTunes install (Microsoft.VC90.ALT etc etc)

Any other suggestions are more than welcome, as I think I have tried everything I have found in other threads with similar issues to no avail

Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:38 AM
  • have you enabled that hidden files are shown? Maybe you missed some.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:58 PM
    Answerer
  • I have, although there were a few I was unable to delete due to being currently used by system, I booted via a Ubuntu live CD to remove those files.

Problem still persists

Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:39 PM
  • Please try to disable your security software and perform clean boot, the install the updates.

How to perform clean boot.

1. Press Win+R to call Run box. Type msconfig and click OK to start the System Configuration utility.
    2. On the General tab, click the Selective startup option, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. 
    3. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
    4. Click OK, and then click Restart.

Meanwhile, you can run Windows Update Troubleshooting from Control Panel.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 29, 2013 6:48 AM
  • ok, try to install the update again, next run the Windows Explorer and go to the folder "C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\" and copy all files to your document folder, also copy the setupapi.dev.log from the folder C:\Windows\Inf, the "C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log" and the file "C:\Windows\winsxs\poqexec.log" to your document folder (otherwise you can't upload it), zip all files into 1 ZIP and upload the zip to your SkyDrive [1] and post a link here.

André

[1] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Friday, March 29, 2013 8:25 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Niki

I have previously attempted installing after a clean boot with no luck.  I have also tried the troubleshooter, which stops and restarts a couple of services, but the problem persists

My CBS logs are here https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=280447884136EC14!327&authkey=!AAiOK0BqUyr_hSE  

I wasn't able to find the poqexec.log file.  I'm not sure if that is relevant or not

Thanks for the help guys

Friday, March 29, 2013 11:15 AM
  • the log only shows me what we already know ( ERROR_RM_NOT_ACTIVE). The only known solution is what I already posted. Try it again.

Friday, March 29, 2013 8:12 PM
    Answerer
  • OK, attempting all this again

Not sure if it's relevant, but none of the files in the TxR folder will let me delete them, saying they are in use by the system.  The only way I have been able to delete them is by booting from a Ubuntu live CD, but as soon as I restart in Windows, some of the files are repopulated.  Running fsutil says it completes successfully, but the updates still fail.

Running from a clean boot, the updates still fail, and running the troubleshooter stops and restarts the Bits and Cryptsvc services, but the updates still fail afterwards

Any other suggestions?

Saturday, March 30, 2013 8:18 AM

• Any other suggestions?

Try an in-place upgrade (boot into Windows, insert the Win8 DVD, run setup.exe and select "Upgrade"):

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Saturday, March 30, 2013 9:18 AM
    Answerer
  • Unfortunately, my copy of Windows was a download version, so no DVD available
    Saturday, March 30, 2013 10:08 AM
  • download your own ISO with the help of you upgrade key:

http://www.intowindows.com/download-windows-8-iso-from-microsoft-using-product-key/

Saturday, March 30, 2013 8:01 PM
    Answerer
  • Not sure how this is different or better than a complete reinstall, but I've attempted it anyway, and the problem persists
    Sunday, March 31, 2013 7:02 AM
  • Does refresh help?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/04/refresh-and-reset-your-pc.aspx

Attention. This removes all desktop applications.

Sunday, March 31, 2013 11:10 AM
    Answerer
  • Nor sure if I have tried this previously, but after a refresh this morning, still no joy with updates
    Monday, April 01, 2013 6:58 AM
  • I have no idea. Backup all data and do a clean fresh install.

Monday, April 01, 2013 7:23 AM
    Answerer
  • That makes two of us.  I've tried absolutely everything I can find in threads relating to the same topic, which have had a couple of other things apart from what you guys have mentioned here.

A full reinstall was the first thing I tried, assuming something had gone wrong when I first reset Windows 8 trying to correct the problem

I'm currently going back to Windows 7.  Assuming everything works fine there at least that rules out any possible hardware fault

Monday, April 01, 2013 8:55 AM
  • Hello,

What type of hardware do you have?

Particularly what type of drives and controllers are in use?

Have you installed any other software on the system?  If so what would that be?

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en

Friday, April 05, 2013 5:20 PM
  • Hi Darrell

This problem happened even from a clean install, so it was not due to any additional software.  While it is possibly due to drives or controllers, it had originally worked perfectly, and only started recently

On a side note, I reinstalled Windows 7, which updated perfectly, although the Microsoft.VC90.CRT error persisted with a couple programs until I had installed SP1, after which, everything ran smoothly

Thursday, April 18, 2013 11:30 AM
  • Hello,

The errors are not wide-spread, so there is something unique about your setup that most people do not have it would appear which is why I asked about Hardware and software.  We don't know what is causing the issue, so the catch is trying to isolate what is different about your system.  It may be an update or driver, but that may only affect specific hardware\drivers\software.  IF the update affected all hardware I would expect to see a lot more posts similar to yours.  So to help isolating down what may be causing this more information is needed.

Windows 7 is of course it's own OS, so the drivers may be different for Windows 8, functionality of hardware is used differently in Windows 8 (think Touch capability for example but a lot of hardware is used in ways that are exposed in Windows 7), so the fact that Windows 7 works is a data point but it doesn't really tell us that much.

can you make available the msinfo32 output as well as the Windowsupdate.log, the cbs.log, the setupapi*.logs for download?

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en

Friday, April 19, 2013 7:20 PM
  • Thanks for the attempt Darrell, and while I certainly wouldn't say that the errors are wide spread, they are quite well documented, with other users both on this forum and others having exactly the same problem, and not just for Windows 8.  A quick google for "Microsoft.VC90.atl itunes" brings up many results from people with exactly the same problem.  Unfortunately, the solutions that seem to be working for other people don't seem to work for me

CBS logs should still be available here https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=280447884136EC14!327&authkey=!AAiOK0BqUyr_hSE  , however since I have reinstalled Windows 7, other files are no longer available.  

It's a bit of a stretch to blame drivers or software when a) the problem did not appear until several months of using Windows 8, and b) the problem persists even from a complete reinstall.  Hardware could possibly be to blame, but for the problem to have disappeared in Windows 7 would almost certainly rule out any hardware issues (especially since all that remained of the issues disappeared after installing SP1 for Windows 7, which would suggest that updating the software fixed the issue)

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:10 AM