none
Convert PDF documents (Invoice, Shipping docs etc) to XML?

Question

• Hi.

I'm the IT mgr of a company that does a lot of shipping & logistics. We hand key a lot of invoices, and shipping documents into our system. We receive PDFs which is supposed to be EDI but thats not EDI. How can I convert these to XML so I can use them without keying them in?

I used adobe and exported to XML but that just gave me an unusable XML file, I need something structured.

Help would be much appreciated.

Friday, December 14, 2012 5:35 PM

Answers

• If the PDFs you are receiving are not scanned then you can use a PDF to XML conversion service. You are right that Adobe wont' do it - its a generic XML with the text only without any true layout structure and thus unuseable for business documents and importing into business software.

You can try a service like EDI Link Connect website: ecdynamics.com/pdf-conversion.php - that service converts (non scanned) PDFs to XML and other formats so you can import them properly into your software. They will map your document so that its exactly what you need and not just a generic "dump" of data which doesn't help.

Its a new and interesting way of doing EDI. I've been meaning to do some more research on this myself.

search "PDF conversion" or "PDF to XML" on the web to find out more.

Hope that helps...

JTT.

Saturday, December 15, 2012 12:11 AM

All replies

• If the PDFs you are receiving are not scanned then you can use a PDF to XML conversion service. You are right that Adobe wont' do it - its a generic XML with the text only without any true layout structure and thus unuseable for business documents and importing into business software.

You can try a service like EDI Link Connect website: ecdynamics.com/pdf-conversion.php - that service converts (non scanned) PDFs to XML and other formats so you can import them properly into your software. They will map your document so that its exactly what you need and not just a generic "dump" of data which doesn't help.

Its a new and interesting way of doing EDI. I've been meaning to do some more research on this myself.

search "PDF conversion" or "PDF to XML" on the web to find out more.

Hope that helps...

JTT.

Saturday, December 15, 2012 12:11 AM
  • Hi, 

I'm the founder of InvoiceSmash.com. We provide this PDF to XML conversion service for Invoices and Purchase orders and other document types coming soon. Our APIs are coming online very soon. 

Please contact me direct if you're interested to learn more about this. twitter @invoicesmash or contact details on the website. 

Mark 

Sunday, February 03, 2013 8:05 AM