none
OEM Partition

Question

• Hello,

I recently formatted my hard drive and installed Windows 7. I noticed under disk manager that I have a partition on my primary hard drive. The hard drive has a 160gb capacity. The OEM partition that is allegidly on the disk is reported at 1655.35gb. My question is, is this normal??

If anyone can enlighten me that would be great!

Cheers,

Chris

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:14 PM

Answers

• if your xp installation was wrecked, i suspect what happened was the xp installation was joined to the empty drive, rather than the other way round. ive never had problems with using partition magic . other option would be to use the win xp install disk as if you were going to install xp but delete all the partitions and create a new single partition, this option should be there with the win 7 setup disk as well i believe. however i prefer having multiple partitions, but of a size that is useful.
    • Marked as answer by Chris_1987 Wednesday, January 28, 2009 12:17 PM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:59 PM

All replies

• i would say its not normal, as far as i am aware OEM partitions are what pc and laptop manufacturers use to store recovery information on. However, if its reporting that its 10 times the size of the actual drive, something isnt right. however if you got the gb mixed up with mb, then i believe that it is possible to be that sort of size.
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 9:18 PM
  • Yeah, that's what I thought. It is reading gb not mb. Do you think I should just reformat the hard drive? Or is there anyway to repair this via windows or an application?

When I right click on the partition I have no options other than help, also it is listed as a separate drive with no drive letter. Originally I did have an OEM XP installation with a Compaq recovery partition - which I tried removing - needless to say it went horribly wrong!

Chris

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:07 PM
  • Windows 7  does appear to not allocate Drive letters to any disk which has an operating system on it, i suspect that it has seen the files here and also decided this is a system disk, hence not allocating a letter. When you format a drive, if it is partitioned then only the section that you are formatting will be formatted, other partitions are left intact.

however i believe that you might be able to shrink the partition and join it to your main drive through the disk management.

type Computer management in the start search box, then select it. then go to disk management. select the partition you want to get rid of, and right click will give you various options. 
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:17 PM
  • Originally I tried merging the partition which was about 5gb with my XP installation with partition magic - and it wrecked my XP installation. I formatted it with the Windows 7 setup assuming that the hard drive would be fine. The only option I get is help when I right click on it. It doesn't appear to be causing me any problems as I have full access to the disk, I suspect something has been corrupted along the way...
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:21 PM
  • if your xp installation was wrecked, i suspect what happened was the xp installation was joined to the empty drive, rather than the other way round. ive never had problems with using partition magic . other option would be to use the win xp install disk as if you were going to install xp but delete all the partitions and create a new single partition, this option should be there with the win 7 setup disk as well i believe. however i prefer having multiple partitions, but of a size that is useful.
    • Marked as answer by Chris_1987 Wednesday, January 28, 2009 12:17 PM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:59 PM
  • Yeah, that did the job - cheers!

Shame this problem wasn't actually anything to do with Windows 7 - just my incompetance... :-D

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 12:17 PM
  • Hello,

Yes, there is OEM partition for backup & recovery of OS but while restoring from OEM parti we require exact size of c: drive ( or whatever is the OS partition ) when backup and recovery was taken. So when our New laptop comes with OS they only make 1 or 2 partiton of around 100 -200 GBs.

So we indirectly we cant use that OEM restore as we tend to make no of partition later on.

Yes there is only 'HELP' option in diskmamagement. But we can delete it by diskpart utility.

c: Diskpart

list partition

select partiton (Partition #)

delete partiton

And after this we can use that partition for our general use.

Cheets

Suneet Bendre

Friday, March 04, 2011 1:25 PM
  • if you yo be sure you get rid of it and any remnants of disk type corruption, do this:
    right click on command prompt and run as administrator. - This is what is often referred to as an "elevated command prompt"
    It should be noted that there are several types of OEM partitions, the 2 most common of them are recovery partitions (contains the info to restore the operating system to "factory new" - as in reinstall the OS) and hibernation partitions (provides a space for the system to store all of the memory content and cpu condition, so that after the system powers back up, it can literally pick up right where it left off without the need to go through a complete boot up. The OS is already loaded and running, along with any applications that were running at the time you hibernated. This partition type needs to be at least as large as your RAM/memory capacity.) If you don't have a hibernate partition that is at least the size of your RAM, then the system can not hibernate. It can still sleep, which puts the system into a low power state. Hibernate actually powers the system off, but otherwise acts like sleep.
    diskpart
    list disk - this will show a list of hard drives and their number (also can get same info from disk management console)

(let's assume for this example, that your problem disk is disk 0. Let's also assume this disk's volume label is going to be "SYSTEM")
    from start of command prompt:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 0
    clean
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    format label="system" fs=NTFS quick override
    exit
    exit

You now have a freshly formatted disk using all of the disk space. If you want to create a hibernate partition as well, then the routin will be a little different. In this example, let's assume you have 8GB of RAM. So we need a hibernate partition of 8GB in size, minimum. Because of occsional shortfalls in the way partitions are handled, we wouls make the partition 8.5GB in size.But, let's also assume you are going to be adding another 8GB of RAM in the near future, so we will make the partition 16.5 GB.
    Here goes:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 0
    clean
    create partition primary id=84 size=16896
    create partition primary
    select partition 2
    format label="system" fs=NTFS quick override
    exit
    exit

Now you have a 16.5GB hibernation partition (no drive letter) and the rest of the disk is a freshly formatted NTFS partition. Cheers! Have a nice day!

Monday, October 21, 2013 5:01 AM
  • Hmm, my last post went to spot #2 in this thread. Anyway, I suspect that the 5GB OEM partition may have been a hibernation partition, if you have 4GB of RAM or a recovery partition ( I don't remember how much room was need for the XP recovery partitions.) Either way, it looks you have corrupted the partitions in some strange way. I don't use partition magic because of issues like this. I have seen it cause many problems. In addition, the command line tools that comes with windows can do the same thing anyway, if you know how.

I suggest you follow the directions I gave and refresh the disk. Afterwards go ahead reinstall windows.

Monday, October 21, 2013 5:14 AM