none
Win7 Virtual XP mode - multiple monitors?

Question

• Will the Win7 Virtual XP mode be able to span multiple monitors? So far, I have been able to use the Virtual XP (seamless) on one monitor.  I can drag the borders to get the VPC window to extend partway into the second monitor.  I can maximize the Virtual XP session to be full screen -- on one monitor.  Is there a way to get the session to maximize to two (or more) monitors? 

How about within Virtual XP Application mode?  I have an XP-only application that can launch multiple sessions of itself to the Win7 desktop, but I cannot drag either window off of the primary display monitor.  Is there a way to allow the XP-only application to have full access to the Win7 desktop on any monitor, not just the primary monitor?
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 9:22 PM

Answers

• For virtual application mode you need following config to span multiple monitors :

- Equal resolution monitors
      - Total resolution of all monitors not exceeding 4096 x 2048
      - Top-left monitor being the primary

Thanks,
    Mayank
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 4:44 AM

All replies

• No, you can increatse the resolution of VM to extend beyond one monitor, but span is not supported.
    Thanks, -Vinod -- "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use."
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 4:22 AM
  • For virtual application mode you need following config to span multiple monitors :

- Equal resolution monitors
      - Total resolution of all monitors not exceeding 4096 x 2048
      - Top-left monitor being the primary

Thanks,
    Mayank
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 4:44 AM
  • Is there any way to request this as an enhancement or report it as a bug?  It seems to me that typically, when you plug a monitor into a laptop, they are not going to be equal resolution monitors.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:16 PM
  • You are welcome to file bug or send feedback through connect site.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 4:55 AM
  • Where would one file the bug. I didn't see an applicable section of the connect site to post bugs for XPMode or Windows VirtualPC.

I also would like to see the above, never before mentioned requirement (Top-left monitor being the primary) removed. It seems logical to me to review what monitors are connected and use the top left corner of the top leftmost window as the top left position of the masked virtual PC.

I have always had my secondary monitor on the left, because of the flow of my desk, and don't plan on changing it soon. Given that this is clearly a bug, and oversight in the virtual application engine I would like to see it change.

Thank you.

Monday, October 11, 2010 6:52 PM
  • I too went looking for somewhere to file this as a bug or enhancement request on Connect, but can't find a suitable section.

The main problem seems to be the restriction on the primary monitor being top-left. This means, for example, that you can't have 3 monitors arranged with the primary in the middle - a common setup for 3 montors - as the XP Mode application cannot be moved to the left hand monitor.

Could someone give a link to the appropriate Connect section?

Thanks

Saturday, October 16, 2010 11:17 AM
  • When was this going to be fixed!!?

I haven't seen any news about it and I am also having issues finding a place to submit a bug.

Will someone please provide an answer, regarding why these strange requirements existed and also why it has yet to be corrected.

Thank you.

Friday, November 12, 2010 4:40 PM
  • I am not sure if it helps to reply directly to your answer, but could you provide more details on this, regarding reporting bugs, and whether or not correcting both the resolution issue, and the requirement of the primary monitor to be the top left issues are in the planned updates for the virtual applications and XP Mode.
    Friday, November 12, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Will there be a fix for this issue? I don't want to set my LEFT monitor as primary display. What I don't understand on a native Windows XP system I can position the second display on either side. Besides this works also in Oracel Virtualbox. But the xpmode is slightly better integrated in Windows 7 than Virtualbox.
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 1:10 PM
  • i'm in the same situation, I have virutal xp in win7 and I need to expand over 2 monitors.  I would like to know how I can request a fix for it.

thanks,

Thursday, February 09, 2012 4:11 PM
  • This key is to make your upper left (or just the one on the left if you have a single row of monitors) as the main display.  I realize that some may not want to make this change due to limitations of where the task bar would sit (among others), but it will allow for XP Mode apps to be moved to other monitors.

There are third-party solutions for modifying or enhancing the task bar.  See this thread about that:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/c915e59c-7b16-4342-99d4-e4924bd88297/

Jeffrey B. Kane -- TechSoEasy -- San Diego, CA

Saturday, March 03, 2012 9:30 AM
  • Is it supposed to do it in full screen mode or just by dragging the window so that it spans both monitors?  The resolution allows me to make a window larger than will fit on one screen but it won't span both monitors.  Both monitors are set to 1920 x1080, I have the left display marked as the primary display, and I have the start bar set to auto hide.  Doesn't seem to matter if it starts full screen or if starts in a smaller resolution and then I try and maximize it ... i only ever get it to appear on one monitor.

dbl

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 2:12 AM