none
Windows 7 Install wont continue after first restart in Install process

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to install Windows 7 Build 7000 on my computer. But it does not seem to want to continue install after the first restart during the Install Process.

Here is what I did:

I put in the dvd, and boot my computer from the DVD. I set the DVD to be the only boot device in the BIOS. The installer starts. I go through all the steps needed for install. It comes to the first restart, and the computer restarts. After a lot of waiting, the computer brings up the first step to the install. Where it shows the "Install Now" Button. (The install basically starts from step One again).

Not sure what I did wrong through all this. My computer Specs are AMD 6400 2.20Ghz, 2 Gigs of Ram, Clean 40 Gig IDE Hard drive, on Different IDE channel then the DVD Drive (Not sure if that is important). Linksys Wireless Add in Card, BFG Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT. (From what I know, my computer meets all the requirements)

So if someone could help me get Windows 7 up and running, that would be great!

Thanks in advance,

Musick Man

EDIT:

I forgot to say that I tried to install Windows 7 off a virtual drive from within XP before I tried to install from a CD, but that didnt seem to work after the first restart also. It did put the windows boot loader on my computer, but didnt finish the Windows 7 Install. I have a feeling that it tried to over-right my Windows XP install, because the boot loader only comes up when my XP drive is plugged in. When I tried installing 7 with the CD, I had my XP drive unplugged. So if 7 tried to install on my XP drive, how can I get the files off it, that I dont want on it anymore, and install Windows 7 on my other drive, in a XP and 7 Duel-boot.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Musick_Man:
        If you want to install Win7 in a dual-boot with your XP O.S. you should leave the XP drive connected while installing Win7.  If you just added the IDE hard drive you want to install Win7 on you need to make sure that that drive is jumpered as Master on the back and that the DVD drive is jumpered as Slave if they are on the same cable.  The other option is to jumper both drives as "cable select" and make sure that the hard drive is on the topmost connector on the cable. If the DVD drive and the 40 GB hard drive are on separate cables they should each be jumpered as "Master" and use the top connection on each cable.  You didn't mention if your XP drive is an IDE drive or not.....if it is on the same cable with the drive you intend to install Win7 on, you need to jumper one as master and one as slave or jumper both to "cable select".  Hopefully your bios is already set to IDE/Native Mode already because if it is set to Sata mode for use with XP you might have problems dual booting with XP if you change the bios setting since XP is already installed.  If both hard drives show up in your boot order list in the bios,  that's ok......just make sure that the DVD drive is the first drive in the boot order so that you can install Win7 by booting from the DVD.
       If you are currently able to boot into XP,  you shouldn't have any problems with the existing XP O.S.  If you are having problems even booting into XP you might have to do a repair of the XP operating system by booting from the XP cd and selecting "Repair start-up" when the XP CD loads. 
       Your hardware looks like it should work fine with Win7 and Win7 should automatically load all the necessary drivers during installation and when done each time you boot up your PC you will get a screen offering you the choice of which operating system you want to boot up (usually right after the bios screen).  You will have 30 seconds to pick which O.S. you want to play with!
       In XP you will be able to "see" the win7 partition;  but,  in Win7 you won't be able to "see" the XP O.S. (you can assign a drive letter to the XP partition in Win7, but it's safer to leave it "out of sight).  Both O.S. will show up as "C" in when you boot them up.  Good luck...........you'll love Win7!

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 10:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Musick_Man:
        If you want to install Win7 in a dual-boot with your XP O.S. you should leave the XP drive connected while installing Win7.  If you just added the IDE hard drive you want to install Win7 on you need to make sure that that drive is jumpered as Master on the back and that the DVD drive is jumpered as Slave if they are on the same cable.  The other option is to jumper both drives as "cable select" and make sure that the hard drive is on the topmost connector on the cable. If the DVD drive and the 40 GB hard drive are on separate cables they should each be jumpered as "Master" and use the top connection on each cable.  You didn't mention if your XP drive is an IDE drive or not.....if it is on the same cable with the drive you intend to install Win7 on, you need to jumper one as master and one as slave or jumper both to "cable select".  Hopefully your bios is already set to IDE/Native Mode already because if it is set to Sata mode for use with XP you might have problems dual booting with XP if you change the bios setting since XP is already installed.  If both hard drives show up in your boot order list in the bios,  that's ok......just make sure that the DVD drive is the first drive in the boot order so that you can install Win7 by booting from the DVD.
       If you are currently able to boot into XP,  you shouldn't have any problems with the existing XP O.S.  If you are having problems even booting into XP you might have to do a repair of the XP operating system by booting from the XP cd and selecting "Repair start-up" when the XP CD loads. 
       Your hardware looks like it should work fine with Win7 and Win7 should automatically load all the necessary drivers during installation and when done each time you boot up your PC you will get a screen offering you the choice of which operating system you want to boot up (usually right after the bios screen).  You will have 30 seconds to pick which O.S. you want to play with!
       In XP you will be able to "see" the win7 partition;  but,  in Win7 you won't be able to "see" the XP O.S. (you can assign a drive letter to the XP partition in Win7, but it's safer to leave it "out of sight).  Both O.S. will show up as "C" in when you boot them up.  Good luck...........you'll love Win7!

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 10:46 PM
  • Hi,

I am trying to install Windows 7 Build 7000 on my computer. But it does not seem to want to continue install after the first restart during the Install Process.

Here is what I did:

I put in the dvd, and boot my computer from the DVD. I set the DVD to be the only boot device in the BIOS. The installer starts. I go through all the steps needed for install. It comes to the first restart, and the computer restarts. After a lot of waiting, the computer brings up the first step to the install. Where it shows the "Install Now" Button. (The install basically starts from step One again).

Not sure what I did wrong through all this. My computer Specs are AMD 6400 2.20Ghz, 2 Gigs of Ram, Clean 40 Gig IDE Hard drive, on Different IDE channel then the DVD Drive (Not sure if that is important). Linksys Wireless Add in Card, BFG Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT. (From what I know, my computer meets all the requirements)

So if someone could help me get Windows 7 up and running, that would be great!

Thanks in advance,

Musick Man

EDIT:

I forgot to say that I tried to install Windows 7 off a virtual drive from within XP before I tried to install from a CD, but that didnt seem to work after the first restart also. It did put the windows boot loader on my computer, but didnt finish the Windows 7 Install. I have a feeling that it tried to over-right my Windows XP install, because the boot loader only comes up when my XP drive is plugged in. When I tried installing 7 with the CD, I had my XP drive unplugged. So if 7 tried to install on my XP drive, how can I get the files off it, that I dont want on it anymore, and install Windows 7 on my other drive, in a XP and 7 Duel-boot.
    Remember after the 1st restart to not select DVDRom to start from.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:13 AM
  • Hi,

I see that you state you set the DVD drive to be the only boot device in the BIOS.  Maybe I misunderstood, but you need to set at least one HDD in the boot list or it will only ever try to boot from the DVD drive and won't look at the HDDs.  the boot order should look like:

1: DVD drive
    2: HDD

If the boot order looks like this:

1: DVD drive

you won't ever boot from the HDD so setup will not continue after loading files and will restart installation from the DVD from scratch.

Hope this helps

Aaron
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 1:32 PM
  • Sir/Ma'am, how about if my computer automatically selects the DVD/CD upon booting as if I press any key (but I didn't press any, I swear!) that's why it start again from the start. Its like I'm in a loop, and its pissing me off!!!

I GIVE UP!!! Please help! 

Saturday, September 14, 2013 2:05 AM