none
unable to install Laserjet 5000 network printer on 64bit Windows 7

Question

• Hi, I am having difficulty installing a Laserjet 5000, printer shared by a member server within a domain, on my 64bit Windows 7 machine. I can access the print queue no problem, but not actually installing the printer. I downloaded the 64bit universal printing driver from HP and installed that way, with local port defined as \\printerserver\printqueue, however, it just stayed at the installing printer Windows without completing it. The printer will show up in the printer and device Windows even through I terminated the installing printer Windows, however, it will not print properly. I tried removing it from the printer list but again it will stay at the removing the printer windows without ever completing it. I terminated the process and restart the Windows, and the printer will disappear.

Any idea how to install it.

Thanks

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:04 PM

Answers

• Did you install the drivers on client computers or the server? It seems that the driver is not installed properly because you terminated it. I suggest you temporary disable anti-virus on client computers. Then reinstall the printers. 
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 10:40 AM
  • It should not be a network issue. If we cannot connect to the printer via network, the driver should still be installed properly. Sometimes we need to wait for more time for the installation. The driver is not properly installed right now. So please remove it from Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features and reinstall it.
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:08 AM

All replies

• Did you install the drivers on client computers or the server? It seems that the driver is not installed properly because you terminated it. I suggest you temporary disable anti-virus on client computers. Then reinstall the printers. 
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 10:40 AM
  • I installed the HP 64bit universal print driver locally on the Win7 machine. The machine is a fresh setup and didn't have any AV installed at the moment.

Thanks
    Friday, November 20, 2009 3:19 PM
  • It should not be a network issue. If we cannot connect to the printer via network, the driver should still be installed properly. Sometimes we need to wait for more time for the installation. The driver is not properly installed right now. So please remove it from Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features and reinstall it.
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:08 AM
  • Were you ever sucessful?  I'm having similar problems.  My HP 5000 still works great and I hate to buy a replacement just to be able to use Windows 7.
    Monday, February 01, 2010 8:25 PM
  • Yes, I managed to get it working by running the install program that is part of the UPD.
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 12:09 AM