none
start menu appears on the second monitor

Question

• I have monitor and TV. Both are Full HD.
    Main is monitor. I don't know how, but start menu appears on the TV, (by pressing win key). I guess there is no check which monitor is the main.
    I opened PDF file with "Reader" app, and it's opens on TV.

So i must use win+p to change mode to "one monitor", and back to fix this.

P.S. Monitor Viewsonic vx2336, TV philips 32pfl8404h60

Monday, February 18, 2013 6:21 AM

Answers

• Hover your mouse near the bottom left of either the monitor or the TV and you will see the "Start Button" pop up.

If you want the "Start Menu" to appear on the Monitor then click on the "Start Button" on THAT monitor. The "Start Menu" will appear.

Once you have done that any time you hit the Start key on the keyboard your "Start Menu" will appear on the monitor. It will always appear on the screen where the "Start Button" last invoked it.

Philip Elder SBS MVP Blog: http://blog.mpecsinc.ca

Monday, February 25, 2013 3:34 PM

All replies

• If you right click on a blank space on the desktop and select Personalize you will be brought to a screen where you can click on either Monitor 1 or Monitor 2 and than check a box near the bottom stating "Make this my main display".  This will move your start menu to the specified display.

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Monday, February 18, 2013 6:55 AM
  • i don't say the main display was changed! I only say that start menu appears on the TV, while main display stays monitor!

Monday, February 18, 2013 7:12 AM
  • Start menu moves with main display so can you try what I suggested?

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Monday, February 18, 2013 12:38 PM
  • It happens only once, and i've already fixed this with a win+p.

Monday, February 18, 2013 1:03 PM
  • I don't know about having a TV as a second monitor, but with dual PC monitors the Start Page opens in the last screen it was opened in. 

So if you click the very bottom left corner (hidden hotspot) of the screen you want Start Menu/apps to open in, it should open in that monitor next time you press the Windows Button on keyboard.

Another way to change screens is when the Reader App opens in the TV, if you click at the very top of the screen (as if you are going to close the app), then instead of dragging it to the bottom to close it, drag it into the other screen.

• Edited by AnaBna Monday, February 18, 2013 3:05 PM
    • Proposed as answer by arnaurp Tuesday, January 07, 2014 12:41 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 3:04 PM
  • So i must use win+p to change mode to "one monitor", and back to fix this.

Try  Win-PageUp  (or Win-PageDown)  instead.   ; )
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:26 AM
  • Oh, ok, let it be my hands mistake )
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:45 PM
  • Hover your mouse near the bottom left of either the monitor or the TV and you will see the "Start Button" pop up.

If you want the "Start Menu" to appear on the Monitor then click on the "Start Button" on THAT monitor. The "Start Menu" will appear.

Once you have done that any time you hit the Start key on the keyboard your "Start Menu" will appear on the monitor. It will always appear on the screen where the "Start Button" last invoked it.

Philip Elder SBS MVP Blog: http://blog.mpecsinc.ca

Monday, February 25, 2013 3:34 PM
  • I have no idea how you figured the out, but it's exactly what I was looking for, and has solved a serious headache! Thanks so much!
    Sunday, August 11, 2013 4:38 PM