none
McAfee EEPC (SAFEBOOT) integration with DaRT 7

Question

• We use DaRT image for two purpose,

a.       As a standalone image with all DaRT tools enabled in a CD/WDS/USB for repairing PC problems. This is mainly backup files/folders from a  McAfee EEPC  encrypted PC before reimaging (i.e. PC is crashed and beyond repair) or remove a particular patch or run a AV scan or reimage PC using Ghost or to use any of the tools included

b.      We also deploy DaRT image (only with Remote Connection viewer) into BDE partition as part of our SOE image. This is for, incase user laptop is crashed and needs support from remote location.

Environment:

We use McAfee EEPC 5.2.8 (safeboot) for hard drive encryption

SOE image consists of two partition (BDE + OS and DATA)

OS: Windows 7 Ent. Edition 32Bit and Windows 7 Ent. Edition 64Bit

MDOP version – MDOP 2011 R2

How DaRT image was build:

I have integrated McAfee EEPC 5.2.8 into DaRT image following the document -https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/20000/PD20437/en_US/SafeBoot_and_Windows_Rescue_CDs.pdf and added SbWinTech utility.

Issue:

1.       Boot to the DART (DVD) disk.

2.       Use the Safeboot Wintech tool to get access to the partition.

3.       Use one of the DART tools to make a change.

4.       Remove the DART disk and shutdown the PC.

5.       Turn the PC back on.

6.       At pre-boot I receive a 0xe0030002 Safeboot error. When searched, Here is the website for the fix…  http://simonhunt.wordpress.com/2009/08/25/disaster-recovery-wintech-and-pe3/

How it is working today:

1.       Boot to the DART (DVD) disk.

2.       Take disk offline

3.       Remove McAfee EEPC using SbWinTech (using authorization and authentication)

4.       Make disk online

5.       Use any utility of DaRT to repair

6.       Install McAfee EEPC

7.       If this order is not followed, DaRT corrupts Windows 7 EEPC MBR and through error “0xe0030002” at McAfee EEPC level.

What to be achieved:

a.       McAfee EEPC integration without making disk offline and making sure it does not corrupts MBR of EEPC.

b.      Having a single CD/DVD/USB  with DaRT image/s which can be used to support Windows XP (32Bit and 64Bit) and Windows 7 (32Bit and 64Bit). This can be single image or whatever required image in a single media.

Your support to achieve above will be great.

saravanan rajappa
    Monday, November 28, 2011 11:48 AM

All replies

• What DaRT tools were run and what changes were made to cause the machine to be unbootable?

What happens if you make similar changes to the file system outside of DaRT?

For example open a command prompt and start making changes?

Sumesh P - Microsoft Online Community Support
    Monday, December 05, 2011 11:25 AM
  • What DaRT tools were run and what changes were made to cause the machine to be unbootable?

Ans: When we run diskpart - list disk

What happens if you make similar changes to the file system outside of DaRT?

Ans: nothing (everything normal)

For example open a command prompt and start making changes?

saravanan rajappa
    Tuesday, December 06, 2011 2:47 PM
  • Diskpart isn’t part of DaRT. It’s part of Windows and distributed as part of WinPE.

Would it be possible for you to try running this same command from a stock WinPE image and see if the same issue occurs?

Thursday, December 08, 2011 2:24 AM
  • Hi Sumesh,

Sorry, it was disk commander.

When i run diskpart from WinPE on a EEPC PC facing the same issue and without EEPC there is no issue.

Thanks

Saravanan R

saravanan rajappa
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 4:11 AM
  • hat exactly are you doing with disk commander?

what other steps are you taking with Dart. I need more details to be able to help you.

Thursday, December 08, 2011 4:44 AM
  • Hi Sumesh,

I have raised a support ticket ans shared the information with MSFT and waiting for thier reply on this. I will post here if any.

saravanan rajappa

Friday, March 02, 2012 5:49 PM
  • This is the latest reply from your team. Could you please follow up with tem and create a exe that has been suggested and added to DaRT. 

Below is the response I got from my product team.

Disk Commander replaces the MBR with a standard MBR record. Currently DaRT doesn’t support replacing that with a vendor specific MBR. What could be done is to create a custom exe or similar that basically does that (replaces MBR with the custom McAffee version). That exe could be added as part of DaRT when you are creating your ISO.

Other than that unfortunately there is not much we can do about this. Please let me know if you have any other questions

saravanan rajappa

Friday, March 02, 2012 5:55 PM
  • Please note that DISKPART has nothing to do with this.  The moment you "authenticate" the volume, it is WinPE 3.x that writes information into the SBFS and corrupts it.  This issue happens with a generic WinPE 3.x with the EEPC driver loaded.  The workaround of taking disk offline/online is the only solution.

Please read https://community.mcafee.com/message/256370#256370.

Levi Stevens Technical Consultant - End User Computing - West Region Dell | Services

Monday, September 17, 2012 9:06 PM