none
I can' see my network computer

Question

• hello, I use tenda router for internet access and use switch and router both for the local area network. we have a 6 pc with windows xp running and window7 as well. I put the same work group in all. I use router to wirelessly access my lan. so when i try to see my network computers sometime it shows only laptop and sometime non. when i change my work group and set back same it shows all my network computer but after sometime when i close my laptop and put back on it can't see computers again.

Others' laptop can see all computers in net via router and works fine. Well i can access internet but can't access or even can't see LAN wired computer in my laptop.

I can ping all computers and get access through \\pcname. 

Please help

thank you

Friday, June 22, 2012 8:31 AM

Answers

• 1. Ping is a proof of accessibility, but NOT visibility.

2. You will need another mechanism to see other computers.

3. In W XP you need port 445 opened to reach resources and 137-139 for visibility. Similar situation in in W 7

4. Remember that W XP and W 7 use SMB 1 and SMB 2, respectively. If they cannot settle mutual communication based on SMB 1, you need to make W 7 to use SMB 1 only.

5. There are two name resolution, netbios over tcp/ip and fqdn. System that help resolve these names should "sit" in your network (WINS, DNS,...)

Regards

Milos

Friday, June 22, 2012 8:58 PM

All replies

• 1. Ping is a proof of accessibility, but NOT visibility.

2. You will need another mechanism to see other computers.

3. In W XP you need port 445 opened to reach resources and 137-139 for visibility. Similar situation in in W 7

4. Remember that W XP and W 7 use SMB 1 and SMB 2, respectively. If they cannot settle mutual communication based on SMB 1, you need to make W 7 to use SMB 1 only.

5. There are two name resolution, netbios over tcp/ip and fqdn. System that help resolve these names should "sit" in your network (WINS, DNS,...)

Regards

Milos

Friday, June 22, 2012 8:58 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion but i am not that sound in networking but all i know is i setup in another laptop computter its working fine but not in mine. and in it it also show xp computer and wind 7 computer as well. i tried my computer on other network too bu pt it won't work. so pls can you explain considering me as a be-gainer for this. I would be very thank full.

even i can't find the share printer as others are working

• Edited by 9842110033 Friday, June 29, 2012 11:43 AM
    Friday, June 29, 2012 11:39 AM