none
LPK.dll is missing from your computer.

Question

• I keep my Microsoft update current.  Last night my window update said that I had about 25 important security updates.  I installed them and now I cannot run any programs.  All programs trying to load at startup are saying "LPK.dll is missing from your computer".  Once the OS is up I get the same message trying to run any programs.  My antivirus is shutdown now as well.  I put the Norton disk in hoping to scan my computer.  No luck.  Same message.  I can look at the dir and that is it.  There is a LPK.dll file in the C:\windows\system32 dir.  FileVersion 6.1.7600.16385 Created 7/13/2009 7:38pm Size: 41KB.  My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium x64 running on a Velocity Micro.  Also I tried to do a recovery.  The computer tried without success.

I ran basically the same updates on my wife's laptop with no issues.

I need some serious help here !!!!

Saturday, April 16, 2011 6:43 PM

Answers

• I was out of town for a day.  Back to this now.

Boot from Windows7 CD

Clicked on Repair computer

Clicked on System Recovery Options

Picked Command Prompt

C:\windows\system32\ ren lpk.dll lpk.dl_

Success

C:\Filetemp\ copy lpk.dll C:\windows\System32\

Success

regsvr32 lpk.dll

System response “The module “lpk.dll” was loaded but the entry-point DllUnRegisterServer was not found”

Rebooted still missing lpk.dll

Booted from Win7 CD

Ren lpk.dll lpkdl2

Copy lpk.dll downloaded from internet to C:\windows\system32\

This lpk.dll was only 22KB vs. the 41KB that I was running

Rebooted computer and it went into a repair mode.

Said when it was done a reboot would be needed and several more maybe needed.

2<sup>nd</sup> reboot went into repair mode.

Booted up into Windows7 with the LPK.dll missing message

Checked out C:\Windows\System32\ for the LPK.dll

LPK.dll had been changed to the 41KB one

The LPK.dl2 was gone.

I think it is time for the dreaded reinstallation of my OS system !

SC Tom you have had many great suggestions and a great supporter.   Unless some brainstrome comes within the next 24 hours it is going to be a OS install.

Thank you, - Gary

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:42 PM

All replies

• Seems to be a language pack dll:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/lpkdll-not-installed/3a61ce98-ba4a-4edd-9acf-e7b7e52e38c3

You can also run System Restore from Safe Mode with Command Prompt:
    Press F8 while booting to get to the boot menu. Choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Once it's up, type in

%systemroot%\system32\rstrui.exe

and press Enter. The SR GUI will come up, allowing you to pick a date and time to restore. Run it as you normally would from there.

SC Tom

Saturday, April 16, 2011 8:40 PM
  • I completed the sfc/scannow and it reported that eveything was verified.

I then did a Safe Mode command Prompt recover.  Thank you for that advice.

Went back about one week to restore.  When it resarted the harddrive when full out.  I still was recieving the LPK.dll missing message.  When I went to shutdown the undate logo was displayed and my computer went ito a 22 count update.  After it was done I restared the computer and still recieve the LPK.dll missing message.  I have know connect a bbackup drive and copying the data I can before I lose everything.  Very disapointedwith Microsofts's updating.  Once I have complted my backup I will go back to recover and try two weeks in the past.

This is painfull.  Thank you for helping me, Gary 

Saturday, April 16, 2011 11:45 PM
  • I went back about 6 days and did a recovery.  This getting “LPK.dll is missing from your computer” on startup.  This has made my computer inoperable. When I went to shutdown it went into a 8 installs.  I am now in a Do Loop…. Every time I go to shut down it goes into 8 installs.   I have gone back as far as I can on the recovery list and still get the missing LPK.dll.  This has been run under Safe Mode.

I can see the LPK file in the dir, so it is either corrupted or not registered.  I tried performing an unregister regsvr32/u –lpk.dll but that would not work.  Came back with DllUnRegisterServer not found.

I am going to cry if I have to reinstall OS.  I have my video, scanning, photo editing office and a bunch more that would have to be loaded.  Not of us need this.

This all started when a major security update was done as few days ago.  Has anyone has this happen to them.  Can anyone help or direct me to where I can get help.

Thanks, - Gary

Sunday, April 17, 2011 5:30 PM
  • My time stamp and size is different than yours, but I'm running Home Premium 32-bit. I have 6 copies of it on my hard drive in different locations, but all are the same size, time stamp, and version. Search for them on your drive. If you rename the one in system32 and copy one of the others to that folder, do you still have the same problem?

Do you have any additional language packs installed other than your default? If you can, go to Control Panel > Region and Language and click on the Keyboards and Languages tab. Does anything show up there?

(I'm mostly guessing here- I've never seen this problem before- so it won't hurt my feelings any if you don't want to try this.)

--

SC Tom

Sunday, April 17, 2011 11:59 PM
  • SC TOm, - I will try anything to avoid reinstall.  More to follow. - Gary
    Monday, April 18, 2011 12:23 AM
  • I can get into my Keyboards and Languages tab.  That tap does show anything.  All other tabs are saying English.  That was a good call in copying another file over.  I went into Command Propt.  The system will not let me change the name or over write it.  Access is denied.  I tryed to do this in windows and this is what came up. "You require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this file".  I wonder if I have a virus????? Do not know how to check this out in this condition.

I send a request to Verlocity Micro to see if they have been getting any requests like this. 

Gary

Monday, April 18, 2011 1:13 AM

• Are you the administrator on this system? If not, you'll need to login as the admin to continue, just to avoid issues later.

Create a new folder under your C: drive called filetemp. If the system will let you, copy one of the other lpk.dll files to C:\filetemp.

Start in Safe Mode with Command Prompt again. Once there, you can use the REN and COPY commands to replace it. You should be in the \system32 folder already. Type in    ren lpk.dll lpk.dl_    and press enter. If Windows allows you to do that, you can move on to the next step.

Type in    copy c:\filetemp\lpk.dll %systemroot%\system32\    and press enter. It should show 1 file copied. Now reboot and hopefully that will fix the problem.

SC Tom

Monday, April 18, 2011 11:44 AM
  • This is a challengw!!  I am an administrator and when I logon to CMD is does say Administrator.

I created the filetemp dir.  Copied over a different copy of lpk.dll.

Went into safe mode. tried to ren lpk.dll to lpk.dl_.  System came back with "Access is denied".  I feel I am in 2001 Space Odyssey with computr HEL.  I tried to do the copy with the same responce.  The only advice Velocity Micro could give me was to try and unregister then reregister the file.  This I have tried.  Velocity has not seen this type of error.  They recomended clean the HDD then do a reinstall.  Yikes !!!!

Not sure where to go from here.  I could pull the HDD and run it as a 2nd HDD on a nother system.  Them maybe I would be able to rename it and copy another file over.

Interesting point.  In cmd when I do a dir I do not see the file lpk.dll.  In windows when I go to system32 I see all the file including lpk.dll.

I will be contacting my IT depatment at work to see if they have any knowledge of lpk.dll issuses.  I will keep posting until I do the unthinkable.......reinstall !

Gary

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 12:46 AM

• Did you try Safe Mode with Command Prompt, not command prompt in Safe Mode? I tried it on mine with success.

SC Tom

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:34 AM

• <Blue Goose MA> wrote in message news:f1399d2f-12ec-48b2-9edd-017fb96595e2@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

This is a challengw!! I am an administrator and when I logon to CMD is does say Administrator.

I created the filetemp dir. Copied over a different copy of lpk.dll.

Went into safe mode. tried to ren lpk.dll to lpk.dl_. System came back with "Access is denied". I feel I am in 2001 Space Odyssey with computr HEL. I tried to do the copy with the same responce. The only advice Velocity Micro could give me was to try and unregister then reregister the file. This I have tried. Velocity has not seen this type of error. They recomended clean the HDD then do a reinstall. Yikes !!!!

Not sure where to go from here. I could pull the HDD and run it as a 2nd HDD on a nother system. Them maybe I would be able to rename it and copy another file over.

Interesting point. In cmd when I do a dir I do not see the file lpk.dll. In windows when I go to system32 I see all the file including lpk.dll.

I will be contacting my IT depatment at work to see if they have any knowledge of lpk.dll issuses. I will keep posting until I do the unthinkable.......reinstall !

Gary

Well, I misled you on my last reply- I don't know what I renamed, but it wasn't lpk.dll. You are correct- it wouldn't let me either when I tried again.
    But. . . if you boot from the Win7 installation DVD and select Repair my Computer, then Command Prompt from the menu, it can be done there. I guess now it depends on whether or not you want to go through all that, or just go for the reinstallation.

Even though there's no easy way to do a repair install (like with XP), it is possible. Looks like an awful lot of work, and there are still some things that are reset to default.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Sorry I can't be of more (any) help, but that's about all I have :-(

SC Tom

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 12:31 PM
  • I was out of town for a day.  Back to this now.

Boot from Windows7 CD

Clicked on Repair computer

Clicked on System Recovery Options

Picked Command Prompt

C:\windows\system32\ ren lpk.dll lpk.dl_

Success

C:\Filetemp\ copy lpk.dll C:\windows\System32\

Success

regsvr32 lpk.dll

System response “The module “lpk.dll” was loaded but the entry-point DllUnRegisterServer was not found”

Rebooted still missing lpk.dll

Booted from Win7 CD

Ren lpk.dll lpkdl2

Copy lpk.dll downloaded from internet to C:\windows\system32\

This lpk.dll was only 22KB vs. the 41KB that I was running

Rebooted computer and it went into a repair mode.

Said when it was done a reboot would be needed and several more maybe needed.

2<sup>nd</sup> reboot went into repair mode.

Booted up into Windows7 with the LPK.dll missing message

Checked out C:\Windows\System32\ for the LPK.dll

LPK.dll had been changed to the 41KB one

The LPK.dl2 was gone.

I think it is time for the dreaded reinstallation of my OS system !

SC Tom you have had many great suggestions and a great supporter.   Unless some brainstrome comes within the next 24 hours it is going to be a OS install.

Thank you, - Gary

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:42 PM